Joel Thompson signs with Dragons on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

semaj97
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Blake Ferguson

Re: And now the Dragons want Joel Thompson...

Post by semaj97 »

FTR thompson, papa and fenno will become the best backrow in the comp IMO
CJ42
Laurie Daley

And now the Dragons want Joel Thompson...

Post by CJ42 »

Greenheart wrote:J Thompson hasn't done much so far in first grade. I think he's a bit over rated. Doesn't have a set spot? Hasn't owned a position for himself. 350k.. That's madness. 200 most. No bidding wars over him. Unlike papal I who is a superstar.

I'd like to keep him. But I think he's a utility off the bench
I stopped taking this post seriously after the first five words... Wow. He is a good second rower and very aggressive. Good hole runner
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I like JT he has fantastic initial and he ran around hayne.

But seriously Papa is far better and more valuable player. I am we'll glad the family farm resigned papa first.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

semaj97 wrote:FTR thompson, papa and fenno will become the best backrow in the comp IMO
Not far off it now I reckon.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

VictorTheViking wrote:Thompson would walk into any back row with the exception of Melbourne, a must keep
that's a pretty silly comment.

just quickly off the top of my head he wouldn't get a start ahead of Lewis and heignington/gallen, Glenn and thaiday/gillett, Houston and Scott or mannering and an in form Mateo.

locks are irrelevant to the situation as well, obviously.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Greenheart
Ken Nagas

Post by Greenheart »

Cj42.. Apart from tearing up Hayne once 3 years ago..

He has not done anything to warrant 350k a year. What a joke.

Just a solid shirts grader, not a must keep
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

julian87 wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote:Thompson would walk into any back row with the exception of Melbourne, a must keep
that's a pretty silly comment.

just quickly off the top of my head he wouldn't get a start ahead of Lewis and heignington/gallen, Glenn and thaiday/gillett, Houston and Scott or mannering and an in form Mateo.

locks are irrelevant to the situation as well, obviously.
Simply a matter of opinion mate, I would rather we keep him than buy a gimp like scott or buy guys like houston/glenn, thaiday is a grub (albeit a good one), mannering, lewis and mateo are the only ones id even consider out of those you listed.

Gallen wasn't considered for obvious reasons.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

that post wasn't about considering players to play for canberra.
freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by freddo »

Thomson has all the ability of a decent edge back rower, Hes got good speed footwork, and can carry the ball in one hand and off load around the corner, He is only a matter of time before he goes to the next level.

He needs to hit the line hard and run at the space inbetween the little men. Now with Robinson at the back trailing in behind
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

he has a fair way to go to reach 'the next level' IMO. he's a good player and I hope we keep him but it wouldn't be the absolute end of the world if we lost him. there's an abundance of very good back rowers floating around, including some how aren't regular first graders.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Thommo is a great player! Those of you saying he's not very good are off your heads.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Thommo has only had one season in his preferred position. We are yet to see the best of him and his improvement over the past 12 months tells me he is certainly a guy we should be holding on to. I also think he's starting to become a bit of a leader of the younger guys.

As far as the top squad goes, I'd say we'd be looking to cut 4-5 players at the end of the year to make way for juniors and new recruits. I think Dugan, Berrigan, Picker and Pelo would be the top of that list, so I can't see any benefit in letting Thompson go.

Under the new salary cap, the average wage next year will be $252,000 (third party deals excluded). If we can lock him in for around $275k that'd be a bargain IMO. For what it's worth, reports are the Dragons are looking at around $300k for him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Its one off those situations where it depends on the offer from the other club. There is little you can do if the Dragons throw $500k a season at him. While everybody would like to keep him there is little justification in that kind of money. In all reality he is our 3rd best back rower and you cannot make him our highest paid one.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Todd Carney deal central to Dragons attempt to recruit Joel Thompson, Mitchell Aubusson and Feleti Mateo

ST GEORGE Illawarra and Cronulla are set for another showdown this week, with the southern Sydney rivals set to fight over Todd Carney.

Carney is part of a four-player package deal the Dragons have earmarked to rescue the club next season, with Joel Thompson (Canberra), Mitchell Aubusson (Roosters) and Feleti Mateo (Warriors) in their sights.

David Riolo - the agent who manages all four players - will meet with Dragons officials this week.

The key to the Dragons' recruitment jigsaw is Carney, with the trio of top-name players tipped to follow the NSW State of Origin No. 6 to the Dragons should he sign.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6609526401
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

God I hope that's rubbish.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

@Tuxy81: Joel Thompson says he will make a contract decision by end of week. Definitely down to Raiders and Dragons. #nrl
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Please stay Thommo :(
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

He said that last week . I hope that isnt a sign that the dragons are favourites
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Would be a loss but Brenko Lee is a bit of a clone.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

We haven't seen the best of Joel Thompson just yet.. i hope he's of the same attitude and i hope he believes he has unfinished business here.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

If Brenko Lee ran out in Joel Thompson's jersey, im not sure id notice the difference

As Canberra Milk said, i love Papa and JT but we cant really tie up huge dollars in the back row. We've got Fensom coming up for a big upgrade. Edwards has shown he's capable, we've got the option of moving Campese to the backrow at some point down the line if Milford or Wighton are to future at 5/8th. Every off season there is Tom Symonds style players moving to new clubs and being successful

2nd row is a dime a dozen position. We are already going to have Paps and Fensom on big $$ deals, we cant really afford to have JT too. If we can get him for market, which imo would be around 300k, great. If not, which i suspect will be the case given Saints and Eels are cashed up, so be it.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Nick wrote:If Brenko Lee ran out in Joel Thompson's jersey, im not sure id notice the difference

As Canberra Milk said, i love Papa and JT but we cant really tie up huge dollars in the back row. We've got Fensom coming up for a big upgrade. Edwards has shown he's capable, we've got the option of moving Campese to the backrow at some point down the line if Milford or Wighton are to future at 5/8th. Every off season there is Tom Symonds style players moving to new clubs and being successful

2nd row is a dime a dozen position. We are already going to have Paps and Fensom on big $$ deals, we cant really afford to have JT too. If we can get him for market, which imo would be around 300k, great. If not, which i suspect will be the case given Saints and Eels are cashed up, so be it.
Nick speaks the truth.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Yeah can't argue with Nick on that one, a concern I do have with Thommo are his injuries though, he seems to get a few
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

Please don't take my Joel away
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I like Thompson and I'd be disappointed to see him go, but we'd be absolute suckers to pay him big money, as Nick said. We've already got way too much cash tied up in our front-row as it is, and with Papalii on big money and Fensom worth his weight in gold, big money for Thompson would be absolute madness.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Michael wrote:I like Thompson and I'd be disappointed to see him go, but we'd be absolute suckers to pay him big money, as Nick said. We've already got way too much cash tied up in our front-row as it is, and with Papalii on big money and Fensom worth his weight in gold, big money for Thompson would be absolute madness.
yeah agreed. especially considering the abundance of good first grade second rowers doing the rounds at the moment.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

He's ability to slot into the outside backs gives him some added value. Would be a shame to lose him.

But I agree that we shouldn't be breaking the bank on this one.
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

GreenHeart ,do you watch raiders games ? Joel Thompson might not stand out but brings a lot to our team.

Not overrated at all,watch his next game,one of our better forwards.
hjs996
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by hjs996 »

Nice dude. Spoke to him out a couple times so much nicer than other players like campo for example. He works with the indigenous community as well. Under rated. Can find the line easily. Can pump up the team and the crowed. If we payed around 250 for Edwards surly we can pay 300-350 for jouly T. Would love him to stay!
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

hjs996 wrote:Nice dude. Spoke to him out a couple times so much nicer than other players like campo for example. He works with the indigenous community as well. Under rated. Can find the line easily. Can pump up the team and the crowed. If we payed around 250 for Edwards surly we can pay 300-350 for jouly T. Would love him to stay!

wow nicer then campo??

big call
Vaccinated
SLeAKeR
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Sticky

Post by SLeAKeR »

We need to keep him. He bleeds green. Last year after our semi loss he was the first over to the fans and brought the team over.

He brings intensity to the team. He's versatile.

We need to keep him.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

I think he is a must keep
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

What happened to the pact
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We should be keeping Joel Thompson and losing Joel Edwards.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Yep. Although Edwards has played a couple of solid games now I'd definitely be looking at JT as a retainer over him.

That being said I agree with pretty much the whole sentiment of letting him go if he wants more than 350k. Shame to see his aggressive style go though.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"