Help Joel Thompson raise funds for his friend

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So we received this message from Joel Thompson today through our Facebook page, and he's hoping that we can help his friend. I've quoted the message here, and it speaks for itself. Hopefully you can help:
Hey mate it's Joel Thompson from the Raiders, hopefully you know me Haha... I was just contacting you to ask for a favour. My mate Ryan Dollisson known as Quaddy recently had a bad work accident, where a 16T high rail excavator reversed without looking or warning and caught Quaddy underneath it - which left him an amputee losing his right foot just above the ankle and also receiving 100+ stitches to his right buttock/leg to hold it together and also 15 stitches to his front groin and a lot more cuts to the body. We have started a bank account and I've got an eBay store with sporting memorabilia donated set up today. People who know Quaddy would know he is a champion bloke with a heart of gold and would always be the first one to help if needed. He played most of his footy out of Group 10 for Bathurst Panthers, Gulgong, St.Pats and Orange CYMS. If you could post something on your page that would be unreal. I'm just doing my best to help my mate and his family through this tough time. This is the link:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Hope-Assists-The-Brave

Anyway thanks for your time mate.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Help Joel Thompson raise funds for his friend

Post by Nick »

fantastic stuff

hope everyone gets on board
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Thanks Joel for letting us know, great items and for a great cause.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

just made a bid- not expecting to win.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Well done Thommo on your efforts.
Wouldn't this fella be entitled to workers compo?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

woppadingo wrote:Well done Thommo on your efforts.
Workers comp is useless mate.

Anyone in this line of work (or any for that matter) should have Income Protection, Trauma cover or TPD, or all 3.

You can't bury your head in the sand thinking it'll never happen to you.

Not everyone has famous friends who can raise donations for them.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

woppadingo wrote:Well done Thommo on your efforts.
He would definitely be entitled to workers comp, maybe even a payout given the circumstances, and the insurer can see that this guy won't be able to work again. Main factor for him though would be the timeframes. Assuming he has a good boss who's on the ball, and he lodges a claim that day, it takes around 5 - 7 days for the insurer to investigate and open the claim. Insurance companies will backdate for medical bills, wages etc, but it can be tough while the claim is in Entry Only stage.

Again, that's assuming the boss lodged a claim asap. Generally you add 5 days from the date the claim is lodged.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

With the Workers Comp provisions as they stand, the only way you get any reasonable pay-out is if you get mangled badly enough that the money is essentially wasted on you anyway. He needs to find someone to sue instead.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

^ Classic lawyer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Michael wrote:With the Workers Comp provisions as they stand, the only way you get any reasonable pay-out is if you get mangled badly enough that the money is essentially wasted on you anyway. He needs to find someone to sue instead.
Go through Workers Comp, prove that you're incapacitated and get a payout to cover your ongoing medical costs, or sue someone, go through the legal process, win, go through it again because the company will most likely appeal, throw in a few adjournments, win again maybe 2 years later and give a massive chunk of the payout to the lawyer...

:hmmm
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Michael wrote:With the Workers Comp provisions as they stand, the only way you get any reasonable pay-out is if you get mangled badly enough that the money is essentially wasted on you anyway. He needs to find someone to sue instead.
Go through Workers Comp, prove that you're incapacitated and get a payout to cover your ongoing medical costs, or sue someone, go through the legal process, win, go through it again because the company will most likely appeal, throw in a few adjournments, win again maybe 2 years later and give a massive chunk of the payout to the lawyer...

:hmmm
Who then gambles it all on Noah in the overs...
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I thought PIPA (whatever the NSW equivalent is) fixed all of that Fui. There are now strict timeframes, settlement conferences etc.

My understanding is that the process is a lot easier for claimants now.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Shezza wrote:I thought PIPA (whatever the NSW equivalent is) fixed all of that Fui. There are now strict timeframes, settlement conferences etc.

My understanding is that the process is a lot easier for claimants now.
Yeah it may be Shez, my knowledge on the claims side of Workers Comp is a bit fuzzy. I just wanted to see if I could get a bite

Nickman's love of NSW
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Aaahhh fair enough.

Carry on then.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thompson's bid to help a mate

Joel Thompson's friend, and best man at his wedding, Ryan Dollisson recently had his right foot amputated after a workplace accident in Albury. Thompson has set up an eBay account auctioning off sports memorabilia, including Raiders skipper Terry Campese's NSW and Australia jerseys to assist. ''I'm going to get a pair of Indigenous boots signed by the team, and my jumper, and hopefully some of the other Raiders boys that got picked will do that, too,'' Thompson said. ''We're also going to auction off six Raiders players to come around to a fan's house and shout them pizzas and drinks. My goal is to raise at least $10,000-$15,000, which gives him a head-start on things.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z2IAlDo6R7

DONATIONS AND BIDS

You can make donations to the Dollisson family fund at: account name - Paul Dollisson, Great Building Society; BSB - 637000; account number - 780801336 (type in 'Ryan' and your name). Bids for sports memorabilia up for auction can be made at stores.ebay.com.au/Hope-Assists-The-Brave.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Everyone needs a mate like JT.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

That article impressed me in so many ways,

Joel has really grown up and you can tell by the way he acts on and off the field. Also we have a leadership coach which is a good move by the club.
I am proud to have Joel at the club.
Vaccinated
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Call me a pessimist, but does anyone else find it weird that he talks about the bottle throwing incident but keeps talking his innocence up. He says it initially, then again during an then follows up with a claim of not his fault..

It just seems a little odd.. Guilt tends to find people overcompensating innocence and I feel like this is just another case..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Message from Joel Thompson
Joel Thompson

Last month my good friend Ryan Dollisson, otherwise known as Quaddy, had a horrific work-place accident where a 16 tonne high rail excavator reversed without looking or any warning and caught Quaddy underneath it. The accident has resulted in Quaddy becoming an amputee after losing his right foot just above the ankle. To help him, my friends and I have started a bank account and have set up an eBay store full of sporting memorabilia donated by myself, my teammates and others.

The link for the eBay store is listed below and below that is the bank account for donations.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Hope-Assists-The-Brave
Account name- Paul Dollisson (his father)
Greater Building Society
BSB : 637000
Account number: 780801336
If you type in "Ryan" and your name it would be greatly appreciated.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... pson/67351
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

I wonder if Joel and his mates will fly to Alice Springs to have pizza and beer with me if I win the bid. :hmmm
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Begbie wrote:I wonder if Joel and his mates will fly to Alice Springs to have pizza and beer with me if I win the bid. :hmmm

reckon if you pay enough they just might, you may need to provide a few beds though and a cooked breaky in the morning
Vaccinated
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

They can have the fold out couch. Breakfast is weetbix and poptarts.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Begbie wrote:They can have the fold out couch. Breakfast is weetbix and poptarts.
Sweet, I'll be there Australia Day weekend.

Probably until Easter.

Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

No worries. My house is always open to you mate. Maybe we can hire a jumping castle, just bring the morning fresh.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

My house is always open because the stumps have moved and I can't close it up properly.

I really wish it would rain.
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

How or where can I put a bid on the raiders to come over to my place for beer and pizza ? That would make my year .
:)