Aero
Laurie Daley

2012 Rd 20 V Sharks: Game Day and Post Match

Post by Aero »

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Canberra Raiders
Toyota Stadium
Sunday, 2pm

Desperation is the name of this game – the Sharks are desperate to halt a slide down the table that has seen them drop to fifth; the Raiders desperate for two points to keep their finals flame flickering.

Both teams enter this match in decent form despite disappointing results last week. The Sharks have battled courageously in recent weeks without the inclusions of, at various periods of time, stars Paul Gallen, Jeremy Smith and Todd Carney. Last week they were unlucky – Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan has stronger views – against the Dragons in Wollongong. The week before they drew with the Roosters in a Monday Night Football cliffhanger. Before that, though, the Sharks won three on the trot and were positioned as high as third.

The Raiders, meanwhile, will be hoping last week’s capital punishment against the Titans in Canberra was a one-off. Against the Gold Coast, the Raiders were abysmal defensively, conceding eight tries on the way to a very flattering 38-26 loss (they scored three tries in the final five minutes). Jeered off the field, the 13th-placed Raiders are in danger of another season without finals football if they lose to Cronulla on Sunday. What’s surprising though is the fact Canberra had, in the two weeks prior, beaten the Dragons and Storm!

There are just minor changes to the line-ups for the clash. For the home side, Anthony Tupou has been promoted to the starting team after his performance off the bench against the Dragons, with Andrew Fifita shifting to the interchange. Paul Gallen and Jeremy Smith have not been named but are being assessed by training staff during the week, and Tyson Frizell is added to the bench that has Jon Green as 18th man.

The Raiders have named an unchanged line-up, with Josh Papalii cleared of any serious knee damage after leaving the game early against the Titans. Scans cleared Papalii of any serious knee damage after he sustained a cork above his knee.

Jarrad Kennedy has been named as 18th man for the Raiders and will come into the team if Papalii doesn’t respond to treatment this week. Injured fullback Josh Dugan hasn’t been named but is understood to be undergoing a fitness test later in the week, with the possibility of participating in this clash.

Watch Out Sharks: The Raiders’ attack is mighty dangerous despite the fact they sit well outside the top eight. Canberra have already created 78 line-breaks and 65 tries in 2012, compared with the Sharks’ totals of 67 and 53 respectively. When they’re ‘on’, the Raiders are an incredibly tough team to handle.

Danger Sign: The attacking power Canberra possess is highlighted by the fact they’re equally dangerous no matter where they are located on the field. In fact, from 11-20 metres, 21-50 metres and beyond 50 metres from their opposition’s try-line, Canberra have scored 11 tries in each category.

They’re also just one of half-a-dozen teams to have scored four tries or more in a match 10 times or more so far in 2012. When the Raiders are hot – and with some of the most dynamic and damaging outside backs in the competition including Blake Ferguson, Edrick Lee and Dugan – they’re almost too hot to handle.

Watch Out Raiders: There’s little stopping the Sharks… or their go-forward, at least. Cronulla roll forward and march downfield better than any team in the competition, averaging a league-best 1429 metres per match. Their forward pack, featuring the greatest depth in the competition, is no-frills but uncompromising.

It’ll be up to the Raiders’ biggest and most experienced forwards, in particular Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington, to stop the Sharks’ momentum and prevent their playmakers entering the ‘kill zone’. Canberra have conceded the most plays inside their own quarter of any team in the league (476)… and three of Cronulla's seven biggest scores over the past four years have come against Canberra!

Danger Sign: The Raiders’ right-hand side is a clear weakness Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan will be looking to exploit. Canberra have conceded 25 tries there… and Cronulla’s left centre Colin Best will no doubt be given instructions to search and destroy. Best has, incidentally, scored in each of his past two games against the Green Machine.

Ben Ross and Bryce Gibbs v David Shillington and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs: Most fans nowadays watch rugby league for the athleticism, the excitement and the attack… but this game will feature more than that. The battle of the aforementioned props – the biggest, toughest and most determined guys on the paddock – will have a massive impact on the outcome of this match. Ross (105.3 metres per match) and Gibbs (135.8 metres) versus Shillington (114.9 metres) and Learoyd-Lahrs (99.8 metres) should be spectacular.

But it’s not just their go-forward that makes these big boppers so valuable to their teams – it’s their other talents that make them especially vital. Gibbs’ defensive integrity, Ross’ lack of self-preservation and willingness to do the one percenters, Shillington’s leadership qualities and Learoyd-Lahrs’ energy and ball skills – they’ll all influence the outcome of this match.

Where It Will Be Won: Attitude. Quite simply, the Sharks have it in truckloads and the Raiders are still searching for the recipe. Despite a roster featuring offcuts, unwanted stars and those who’d otherwise be on the rugby league scrapheap, the Sharks are making a good fist of the 2012 season. They’re a fighting team, a tight-knit group who can’t yet blow teams away but do compete for the full 80 minutes better than most. The Raiders, on the other hand, are best described as ‘inconsistent’.

Remarkably, just two weeks ago they recorded their first back-to-back victories for 2012. Quite simply, it’s their attitude that’s limited their progress… and with a greater willingness to do the tough stuff rather than the pretty plays, Canberra could well be entrenched in the top eight. They have enough talent.

The History: Played 57; Sharks 31, Raiders 26. At Toyota Stadium the Sharks have a decided advantage, with the home side winning 19 of the 26 clashes to date. The Sharks have also won five of the past eight meetings of the two teams.

The Last Time They Met: It was all Cronulla in the corresponding clash last year at Toyota Stadium in Round 18. The Sharks led 14-12 at halftime and powered home to win the match 26-12. The home side dominated on the back of a 5-0 line-break total and had five try-scorers, including former Raider Colin Best, who touched down for his 100th career four-pointer in the match. The Raiders struggled to control the Sharks’ march downfield, with Cronulla motoring to 1458 metres gained in the match, almost 200 metres more than the visitors. Canberra also missed a whopping 57 tackles throughout.

Match Officials: Referees – Shayne Hayne and Henry Perenara; Sideline Officials – Jason Walsh and Dave Munro; Video Referee – Pat Reynolds.

The Way We See It: The home side should be too determined and focused on victory to let the inconsistent Raiders slip under their guard. The Sharks have been cemented in the top four for most of the year, and a good performance in this clash could slingshot them back towards the top of the table. The Raiders have a few good performances left in them for 2012, but perhaps not in this match. They have, however, won more matches on the road this season than at home (4-3), so it’s definitely a possibility! We’ll stick our necks out and tip Cronulla by 10.

Televised: Fox Sports 2 – Live 2pm.

http://www.nrl.com/sharks-v-raiders-pre ... fault.aspx
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2012 Rd 20 V Sharks: Game Day and Post Match

Post by Matt »

Right side is weak... Hang on, pretty sure its the left (OUR left not OUR right, which is the way its written) - NRL stats you might want to double check that... LOL
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good analysis otherwise. The fact we have the 9th best attack in the comp paired with the 2nd worst defence indicates we have no real problem scoring when we hang onto the ball...it's just that we give up way too many points because/therefore we rarely win the balance of possession. Basically, the stats back up the fact our defence and attitude sucks. If we fix up those two minor issues we are in with a shot. :lol:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote:Good analysis otherwise. The fact we have the 9th best attack in the comp paired with the 2nd worst defence indicates we have no real problem scoring when we hang onto the ball...it's just that we give up way too many points because/therefore we rarely win the balance of possession. Basically, the stats back up the fact our defence and attitude sucks. If we fix up those two minor issues we are in with a shot. :lol:
Our attack also comes down to the tone of the game though. The Sharks and Titans come to mind as games we wouldn't have scored 20+ points in if the other team had been switched on for the full 80. So I reckon the attack numbers are fairly misleading - we still struggle against the good defensive sides.
Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Post by Gillfish »

So who's going to this again?? I will be there (with my Sharks mates :/)
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Gillfish wrote:So who's going to this again?? I will be there (with my Sharks mates :/)
Same.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Gillfish wrote:So who's going to this again?? I will be there (with my Sharks mates :/)
I was all but going, its 10 minutes down the road but you know what this is the first time I have ever questioned myself to attend a Sydney game and I figure whats the point, I have Fox at home and ill save myself the embrassesment and money. I cant justify paying the money to attend a game when I already pay $120 a month for Fox mainly for the Raiders. I hope things change soon, I'm sure I'm not in the same boat and I'm sure a lot of season ticket holders have already stopped attending games until things change.

This will be the first Sydney game I will miss since I can remember.
In Ricky We Trust
Gillfish
David Furner

Post by Gillfish »

No one can begrudge you for not wanting to go to games, I prefer watching on a massive screen in HD with commentary. You get a better view of what's going on. Also I don't live in Canberra so attending home games is quite an adventure in itself.

However don't let the team or the organisation ruin a potentially good day in the sun with some mates though Brew. Win, lose or draw you can still have a good time. Except for when that stupid "Up, Up, Cronulla" song comes on.. RL at it's worst right there
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

True but any Raiders mates I have don't want to go so it made my decision easier, I only like to drag my wife to games when we are winning or else she sees it as a waste of time.
In Ricky We Trust
Gillfish
David Furner

Post by Gillfish »

That's fair enough. No fun going alone!
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Some of the best days ive had at the footy were when i went alone, met some good people that way.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Some of the best things in life happen when youre alone.
Gillfish
David Furner

Post by Gillfish »

Keep it clean -GD-
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What did he say Gillfish? I think he meant reading the paper over a bacon and egg breakfast with a good coffee. Heavenly.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

-GD- wrote:Some of the best things in life happen when youre alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8VXnvbc1c0
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Greenbits wrote:What did he say Gillfish? I think he meant reading the paper over a bacon and egg breakfast with a good coffee. Heavenly.
Yeah or just a nice walk by youself. You must have a dirty mind Gillfish.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

i will be there.
Gillfish
David Furner

Post by Gillfish »

Don't play silly GD :P

Wow what a surprise to see you going Bay53
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Ill support the 17 guys who pull on the lime green jumper every week, but I will not support the club any longer (I.e the buffoons that are running it into the ground)
Gillfish
David Furner

Post by Gillfish »

With the results so far this weekend and looking at the ladder. The nail is in the coffin. It was a 5%'er but now its good as gone. We will not make the finals
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Thank **** there is some footy on today

What will it be Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde
markqt
Brett Mullins

Post by markqt »

Gillfish wrote:With the results so far this weekend and looking at the ladder. The nail is in the coffin. It was a 5%'er but now its good as gone. We will not make the finals
Hasn't it favored as more... That bottom half of the ladder is getting tighter with a lot teams on 20 points. Results can't get better with Manly, Warriors and Saint George losing. We have a long shot the way we are going... But hey, 6/7 wins might be enough!
The_Green_Hope
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by The_Green_Hope »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Thank **** there is some footy on today

Im tipping one great half and one shocking half.

yarnos20
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yarnos20 »

Hope Dave was playing mind games when he said we just need to get into the grind today...

That's a great idea Dave... Trying a game plan that doesn't suit us at all, against probably the best in the comp at it.

I really hope the boys turn up today. If Furners hanging around we need to set up a platform for next year... Even if we don't get results, just *****ng put in a few decent performances..
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

The_Green_Hope wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:Thank **** there is some footy on today

Im tipping one great half and one shocking half.

Williams/great, McCrone/shocking?
dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

I hope Fergo limits his hearing to the inside of the fence today, and ignores
the **** that's gonna be happening outside the fence.
Help him out boys, let's stick it up 'em this time.
Go Raiders
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Wouldn't worry Fergo at all
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Final team line ups:

RAIDERS
19. Josh DUGAN
2. Sandor EARL
3. Jarrod CROKER
4. Blake FERGUSON
1. Reece ROBINSON
6. Josh McCRONE
7. Sam WILLIAMS
8. David SHILLINGTON ©
9. Travis WADDELL
10. Tom LEAROYD-LAHRS
11. Josh PAPALII
12. Joel THOMPSON
13. Shaun FENSOM
Bench:
14. Shaun BERRIGAN
15. Joe PICKER
16. Mark NICHOLLS
17. Sam MATAORA
Coach: David FURNER

SHARKS
1. Matthew WRIGHT
2. Isaac GORDON
3. Ben POMEROY
4. Colin BEST
20. John WILLIAMS
6. Todd CARNEY
7. Jeff ROBSON
8. Bryce GIBBS
9. Isaac DE GOIS
10. Ben ROSS
11. Anthony TUPOU
12. Jayson BUKUYA
13. Wade GRAHAM ©
Bench:
14. Andrew FIFITA
15. Tyson FRIZELL
16. John MORRIS
17. Mark TAUFUA
Coach: Shane FLANAGAN
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

The sharks bench doesn't inspire much confidence....then again neither does ours
ddp
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joel Thompson

Post by ddp »

Dugan looks focused in the warm up. Ready for a big one hopefully.
Always Green!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

U20's lost so that bodes well for first grade. We tend to win when the juniors get done.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Here we go! A bit of rain around the place, but holding off at the moment. Raiders still in the rooms, just about to run out!
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Northern Raider wrote:U20's lost so that bodes well for first grade. We tend to win when the juniors get done.
Yep , it's been the trend of late , only 1 of the team wins
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

We actually look pretty good against the Sharks on paper. A shame we're playing on grass.
ddp
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joel Thompson

Post by ddp »

Seeing our number 13 in head gear brings back good memories.
Always Green!