Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky Stuart signs as Eels coach

Post by greeneyed »

Stuart still wants to coach Raiders
26 June 2012

BY JOE PREVEDELLO

NSW Blues coach Ricky Stuart says he still wants to coach the Raiders but says he doesn't know when.

The former Green Machine star has been touted as a possible replacement for struggling coach David Furner.

Stuart has told Capital Radio coaching the side is tough job and he understands what Furner is going through but isn't saying when would be a good time for him.

http://2cc.net.au/localnews/item/stuart ... iders.html
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Re: Stuart still wants to coach Raiders

Post by Millsy »

Next year would be a good time to start Sticky.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

July 5th would be better. Or maybe give him an extra day to recover from the hangover after winning origin 3.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Chief Chujo
David Grant

Post by Chief Chujo »

Sucks we're gonna miss out on him.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

**** just make this happen so we can get on with our lives, he is available, why wait. Furner can't coach now what makes the club think he can in 6 months time.

Puts to bed the myth Stuart will never move to Canberra cause of his daugther.
In Ricky We Trust
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Step aside Dave.

Ricky would kill it with good junours for a change.

We'd be crazy not to sign him IMO.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

Shezza wrote:July 5th would be better. Or maybe give him an extra day to recover from the hangover after winning origin 3.
He's going to start without a hangover, Mal's boys will be victorious
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Bipolar Bear wrote:
Shezza wrote:July 5th would be better. Or maybe give him an extra day to recover from the hangover after winning origin 3.
He's going to start without a hangover, Mal's boys will be victorious
I lost my avatar bet with Schify - want to bet on origin three in the same manner? Avatar for a week?
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

I'm now waiting for a JMac article from the DT to appear in the next few hours saying Dave's job is safe and he will be coach until at least 2014 :roll:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Now sounds like as good a time as any to me
Please
Gary Belcher

Post by Please »

I don't know whether replacing Furner would be the best step, halfway through the season. As much as we all want him gone, it could be a bad move to all of the young players, who would have to adjust. I think it's nearly at the stage where we have to stick out the rest of the season with Furner, and start a fresh with a new coach (Hopefully Stuart).

Saying that, if the board had the balls to sack Furner, I would be pretty stoked.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

It is a nice little indicator that Ricky is keen to come home. Obviously he can't indicate when he would like the job on account of Dave having a contract but the next 2 weeks are shaping up to be pivotal for the club.

Ricky can't come soon enough. He is IMO up there with the best coaches in the league and I really believe that he is the best man available to get this club back on track.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

McIntyre and Dave both need to realise that Dave is NOT working out as coach.

Forget pride, forget nappies, forget your "bonehead" ways..........enough is enough. These two blokes need to realise their stubborness is killing the club and losing fans.

Its time for John and Dave to man up, wake up and join us in reality. Employ a coach who has won a premiership, coached NSW and Australia and has a better record than what Dave offers; a Premier League stint and a 38% winning record

While I am not a massive Stuart fan (I'd rather Bellamy) time is of the essence. Stuart is available after SOO while we need to wait another year or so for Bellamy.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

dubby wrote:McIntyre and Dave both need to realise that Dave is NOT working out as coach.

Forget pride, forget nappies, forget your "bonehead" ways..........enough is enough. These two blokes need to realise their stubborness is killing the club and losing fans.

Its time for John and Dave to man up, wake up and join us in reality. Employ a coach who has won a premiership, coached NSW and Australia and has a better record than what Dave offers; a Premier League stint and a 38% winning record

While I am not a massive Stuart fan (I'd rather Bellamy) time is of the essence. Stuart is available after SOO while we need to wait another year or so for Bellamy.
With our financial clout, how about buying out Bellamy's contract with the $torm?
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I always thought DF would step down if things werent working out , over the last month I get the impression he wont.

I hope DF sees this and has a long hard think about it.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Green eyed Mick wrote:It is a nice little indicator that Ricky is keen to come home. Obviously he can't indicate when he would like the job on account of Dave having a contract but the next 2 weeks are shaping up to be pivotal for the club.

Ricky can't come soon enough. He is IMO up there with the best coaches in the league and I really believe that he is the best man available to get this club back on track.
Agree.

Nothing else out there after Stick is there?

Sure having him as the coach would make the club more attractive to top line players too.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Luffty wrote:I don't know whether replacing Furner would be the best step, halfway through the season. As much as we all want him gone, it could be a bad move to all of the young players, who would have to adjust. I think it's nearly at the stage where we have to stick out the rest of the season with Furner, and start a fresh with a new coach (Hopefully Stuart).

Saying that, if the board had the balls to sack Furner, I would be pretty stoked.

I completely disagree. Signing Ricky before the end of the season allows Ricky to start working on the problems with attitude and culture so he has as close to a united outfit as possible on day 1 of pre-season training.

The other bonus of having Ricky come this year is for recruitment. No doubt that Ricky will have more sway with potential recruitment targets. He will also have the opportunity to work with the guys that haven't had many opportunities like Massey, Hodge, Iaone, Nichols, Kennedy, Bani, Low and others and figure out if any of them are worth keeping.

Basically we give Ricky the rest of this season and he is a few steps ahead in building the squad he wants. Wait until October or November and players Ricky may have released will be re-signed, players Ricky might have kept will have been released and players that are currently on the market that Ricky might have been able to sign will have already signed deals with other clubs.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

It needs to happen , the season is a write off.

he needs to get here and build his structure from now. Off season will be too late

better late than never though
Please
Gary Belcher

Post by Please »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Luffty wrote:I don't know whether replacing Furner would be the best step, halfway through the season. As much as we all want him gone, it could be a bad move to all of the young players, who would have to adjust. I think it's nearly at the stage where we have to stick out the rest of the season with Furner, and start a fresh with a new coach (Hopefully Stuart).

I completely disagree. Signing Ricky before the end of the season allows Ricky to start working on the problems with attitude and culture so he has as close to a united outfit as possible on day 1 of pre-season training.

The other bonus of having Ricky come this year is for recruitment. No doubt that Ricky will have more sway with potential recruitment targets. He will also have the opportunity to work with the guys that haven't had many opportunities like Massey, Hodge, Iaone, Nichols, Kennedy, Bani, Low and others and figure out if any of them are worth keeping.

Basically we give Ricky the rest of this season and he is a few steps ahead in building the squad he wants. Wait until October or November and players Ricky may have released will be re-signed, players Ricky might have kept will have been released and players that are currently on the market that Ricky might have been able to sign will have already signed deals with other clubs.
In that side of things it would be a good idea, but I believe that sacking a coach mid-season is not the way to go. Sure, you see that it does sometimes work, and performances do improve, but imagine the morale of the players if they kept losing under the new coach, it would not be any better to what it is not.

But I do know where you are getting at in regards to having the new coach an opportunity to get rid of the dead weight, and getting an opporunity to see some of the players first hand.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Chief Chujo wrote:Sucks we're gonna miss out on him.
Certainly looks on the cards. He is sending all the signals - get on the phone to him you fools. Insert gif of Abe Simpson talking into an iron.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
JRC
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ones who haven't been sacked

Post by JRC »

Raidersrawesome wrote:It needs to happen , the season is a write off.

he needs to get here and build his structure from now. Off season will be too late

better late than never though
This.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

O M G
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Please let this happen :cmon
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

I am at the point of thinking this can't happen soon enough. Tomorrow, please.

The real trick in all of this is dislodging Dave. I have no idea whether Stuart will work out for us but the quicker Dave goes, the quicker we will find out.

If Ricky doesn't work out, I doubt he will stick around. He didn't stay long at the Sharks.
badonkadonk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: CHICKA!

Post by badonkadonk »

Stuart is making all the right noises, and following on the false alarm from a few weeks back I'm confident that he will be announced sooner rather than later.
shuuraider
Brett Mullins

Post by shuuraider »

Funny, because a lot of people dont rate stuart as a coach.

I think he's quite average to be honest, but like most of you guys, im happy for him to takeover if it means getting rid of Furner as head coach.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

A lot of people also rate Ricky pretty highly. Especially people in the business. Otherwise he wouldn't have been offered the NSW job and he wouldn't have as many as 4 clubs reportedly interested in his services.

There will always be Nego's no matter what coach the club appoints. But Ricky, if he is signed will have the chance to silence his critics.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

I too hope Stuart comes on board sooner rather than later. Maybe then a few people will see that our inability to execute and to build pressure can be attributed to the glaring holes in our injury-ravaged squad, rather than being the sole responsibility of the coach.

If Stuart can turn McCrone-Williams-Waddell into anything but a bottom-4 playmaking combo then I will gladly admit that I was wrong all along, but I don't see it happening.
#BoneMcCrone
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Green eyed Mick wrote:A lot of people also rate Ricky pretty highly. Especially people in the business. Otherwise he wouldn't have been offered the NSW job and he wouldn't have as many as 4 clubs reportedly interested in his services.

There will always be Nego's no matter what coach the club appoints. But Ricky, if he is signed will have the chance to silence his critics.
Everything you say GEM in this thread are my thoughts exactly. It's amuses me the same people who bag Ricky are the same who defend Furner and make excuses for Ricky's success.

This year is a write off, we are not going to achieve anything, give Ricky the rest of the season so he is 6 months ahead for next season.

I can guarantee Ricky wouldnt be content with the garbage we dish up on a regular basis under his watch and like he did at Cronulla he would remove himself with dignity if it was the case but on the otherhand Dave seems to be a selfish and gutless person because he hasnt removed himself from the coaching role, and only person that will remove him will be Dave himself cause we know Don, McIntyre or anyone on the board wont.
In Ricky We Trust
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Rod, Stuart wont be able to fix things immediately but he can put structures in place for next year. I for one wont expect immediate results.

Injuries are playing there part but there is a lot more going on than that.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

If nothing else, at least this piece should stop those arrogant people who've continued to assume that he will or won't do something due to his Daughter's condition.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Rodman what about our defence, our desire, our attitude, our pride in the Green jumper, a structure. They need more addressing. I'm sure Ricky can attract some players too, I honestly couldn't see a single player coming here with a desire to be coached by Furner.
In Ricky We Trust
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Rod, Stuart wont be able to fix things immediately but he can put structures in place for next year. I for one wont expect immediate results.

I'm not saying we'll be worse off with Stuart. I've said - ad nauseum - that change needs to be implemented ASAP and that means Dave walking.

I just think that Dave cops too much of the blame. If you go through the playmakers from each team there isn't a single team who would trade for our combination sans-Campo, and that's not even taking into account all the other key/experienced players who have been missing for extended periods over the last 18 months. If Stuart can get results with this current squad then I will be pleasantly surprised, to say the least.
#BoneMcCrone
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Rodman wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:Rod, Stuart wont be able to fix things immediately but he can put structures in place for next year. I for one wont expect immediate results.

I'm not saying we'll be worse off with Stuart. I've said - ad nauseum - that change needs to be implemented ASAP and that means Dave walking.

I just think that Dave cops too much of the blame. If you go through the playmakers from each team there isn't a single team who would trade for our combination sans-Campo, and that's not even taking into account all the other key/experienced players who have been missing for extended periods over the last 18 months. If Stuart can get results with this current squad then I will be pleasantly surprised, to say the least.
You're missing the point though. No doubt the loss of Campo has had an affect but it shouldn't have the affect that we have all witnessed. The loss of Campo doesn't excuse, as Brew pointed out, "our defence, our desire, our attitude, our pride in the Green jumper, a structure." It doesn't excuse the horrible culture Furner has instilled within this club. Having average halves should not impact the aforementioned things.

A good coach would take this roster, with or without Campo, to at the minimum a fringe top 8 spot.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

And look at the Dogs, they have a virtual rookie in Reynolds and Keating...yes that's right KEATING...one of the more average players in the comp but they seem to be doing fine.
In Ricky We Trust
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Souths: Sutton and a rookie Reynolds. Top 4.