Ricky Stuart signs as Eels coach

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Re: Daily Telegraph reports Raiders favorites to sign Stuart

Post by jedski »

or everyone meets up at the Sutton's Forrest Maccas which is roughly halfway?
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

pete wrote:Well matty johns said on Triple M today stuart is coming to canberra. They will have to fly him daily from sydney.
About time Don put that private jet to use.

Funnily enough th last time we used it (03 sharks away on a Friday night) we actually won...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

pete wrote:It is about as ridiculous as your avatar.
What, no gay slur Peter?
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Apparently Luke Lewis let it slip in camp during an interview. The rumour is that Sticky told the players he was likely to take up deal with Parra.

This is apparently the quote (no source though): State of Origin star utility Luke Lewis insists he must remain at the helm of the NSW Origin team. ''He's that good that even if he does go to Parramatta as an NRL coach I think he has to do this, too,'' Lewis said. ''What he has done for Origin has been outstanding.''

Would not surprise me if this story gets picked up to see an announcement very soon. If it becomes a focal point for the media in the lead-up it will become a distraction. The best option might be to simply confirm he intends signing with a club so he can actually get the focus back on Origin.
That was taken out of context. The reporter questioned him and obviously said something along the lines of "If Ricky was to take a job at Parramatta..."

Take a look at his interview. Matty Johns' interview is also there where he thinks Ricky Stuart will be at Canberra:

Ricky Stuart will return to the NRL, and is likely to coach the Raiders: Matthew Johns

AUDIO: Download mp3

NSW State Of Origin coach Ricky Stuart is headed back to the NRL and will most likely coach the Canberra Raiders, according to The Grill Team's Matty Johns.

Johns says the NSWRL is now under pressure to re-appoint Stuart as the Origin coach, a job he's paid around $125,000 for.

"He could walk back into (an NRL job) and get $550,000," said Johns, who is adamant Stuart will end up back in club football.

Clubs that could be in the hunt for Stuart's services include; Canberra, Parramatta and the Roosters.

Meanwhile, Luke Lewis has told Triple M Stuart would be 'great' at any NRL club but poured water on a rumour he may have let the cat out of the bag re: Staurt's future.

Triple M's Rush Hour sought clarification on Lewis' thoughts after he was quoted as saying: "He's that good that even if he does go to Parramatta as an NRL coach I think he has to do this, too."

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/ ... -gll8.html
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

:lol: Fly him in daily

you guys are cards. :lol: Goodness me.

But yea i agree with brew, we'll beat parra, sticky will sign at Parra, we'll extend Furner for 10 years and then ill buy shares in a company that produces Parramatta Rope.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Brew wrote:Or maybe the Raiders can just go into camp in Sydney on a weekly basis instead of Stuart coming down everyday.
new coach plus away camp = 200% better performances.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tim Gavel‏ on twitter at approximately 6.45pm

@TimGavel

Just spoke to ‪#Raiders‬ chairman John McIntyre. He says there is no basis to reports linking Ricky Stuart to coaching job at Raiders.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

CJ42 wrote:
Brew wrote:Or maybe the Raiders can just go into camp in Sydney on a weekly basis instead of Stuart coming down everyday.
new coach plus away camp = 200% better performances.
Or new coach = Opposite result

+ away camp = Opposite result.

We lose again :doubt:

greeneyed wrote:Tim Gavel‏ on twitter at approximately 6.45pm

@TimGavel

Just spoke to ‪#Raiders‬ chairman John McIntyre. He says there is no basis to reports linking Ricky Stuart to coaching job at Raiders.
I think it's clear he doesn't actually know what goes on the club so I'm not paying much attention to that,,
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Daily Telegraph reports Raiders favorites to sign Stuart

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I watched the 95 game vs the warriors today. Kearney was in the Warriors team . I'm sure I saw him word - Don't ever let me coach Parramatta .

Basing on that he will step down and Sticky will take the reigns of Parra
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: John McIntyre: no basis for linking Stuart to Raiders

Post by luke »

Seiffert82 wrote:
pete wrote:It is about as ridiculous as your avatar.
What, no gay slur Peter?
I think a gay public servant (is there any other kind? amirite, petey?) from Queanbeyan who has never played the game was really, really mean to Pete once.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Im beginning to slightly dislike McIntyre.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

You'd have to say that its a pretty heroic effort to join a forum and make dozens of posts daily purely for the purposes of winding everyone up. Positive Pete's committed, I'll give him that much...
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

John McIntyre: no basis for linking Stuart to Raiders

Post by -GD- »

If Gavel spoke to McIntyre then you can bet the CT did also and there might be some hilarity in the paper tomorrow.
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

T_R wrote:Im beginning to slightly dislike McIntyre.
I will always support the Raiders but am unlikely* to renew my membership next season because **** him **** his whole stupid farm.

*Change of coach will possibly get me over the line
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

im organising a fund to get McIntyre looked after, who wants to donate?
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

CJ42 wrote:im organising a fund to get McIntyre looked after, who wants to donate?
ha! a Greenhouse telethon!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wish McIntyre would **** off.. he is a cancer on this club..
rayden
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden »

Didn't McIntyre make his position clear? Furner is coach until at least 2013, I wouldn't rule out a new contract should we win a few games next season, McIntyre would cite the Furners and the Raiders improvement as justification for offering a new long term deal. It's evident Furner, being mates with the Chairman and brother of the CEO, is beyond any accountability and they will do and say anything to rationalise his incompetence and shift blame everywhere but themselves. Ricky definitely won't be coming here anytime soon.
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

rayden wrote:Didn't McIntyre make his position clear? Furner is coach until at least 2013, I wouldn't rule out a new contract should we win a few games next season, McIntyre would cite the Furners and the Raiders improvement as justification for offering a new long term deal. It's evident Furner, being mates with the Chairman and brother of the CEO, is beyond any accountability and they will do and say anything to rationalise his incompetence and shift blame everywhere but themselves. Ricky definitely won't be coming here anytime soon.
A few games? Your having a joke right?

All they need to do is win one game between now and the end of 2013, and he's still the right man for the job.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

dubby wrote:I'm pretty certain Ricky will be our coach in 2013.
You were also pretty certain Dave Furner would stand down as soon as he started to majorly struggle in the head coach role.
Raider47
Jason Croker

Post by Raider47 »

rayden wrote:Didn't McIntyre make his position clear? Furner is coach until at least 2013, I wouldn't rule out a new contract should we win a few games next season, McIntyre would cite the Furners and the Raiders improvement as justification for offering a new long term deal. It's evident Furner, being mates with the Chairman and brother of the CEO, is beyond any accountability and they will do and say anything to rationalise his incompetence and shift blame everywhere but themselves. Ricky definitely won't be coming here anytime soon.
Unfortunately, he said Furner is coach until at least the end of 2014.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

CJ42 wrote:im organising a fund to get McIntyre looked after, who wants to donate?
Which kind of looked after?

Or

CJB
David Shillington

Post by CJB »

As much as a dave fan that i am or were, i really think he needs to go but but i think mcintyre needs go first but as rayden said they both aren't going anywhere any time soon..
I haven't been this detached to the mighty green machine since super league so until something changes it's game over for me, thank f&$k i love spending my money on a petrol guzzling tyre shredding xd ute lol
With me not spending money going out to the games etc i'll have more time and money to spend on my ute, can't wait for the summernats :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

cheers chris
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Raider47 wrote:
Unfortunately, he said Furner is coach until at least the end of 2014.
Didn't JMac recently say that he doesn't have anything to do with the coaching appointments and that it is the role of the CEO. When pushed didn't he drop the name of some nobody?

Anyway I don't like our chances. We have 3 guys running the club who are there primarily because of who their fathers were. It is a recipe for disaster if we stick with the current set-up we will see the disaster unfold in the next couple of years.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
You were also pretty certain Dave Furner would stand down as soon as he started to majorly struggle in the head coach role.
actually he, amongst others, including me said he'd stand down when he felt he was not up for the job, not when the airchair experts on an internet forum thought so. Its my belief he made that decision, a press conference was called, and he was talked out of it, and instead we heard about Camp David, why that turn of events occured im not sure, but it was too weird for mine one might (and i do) suggest that the timing was poor given his replacement was in the middle of a rather important task and he wouldnt have appreciated the timing. I do but thats just me adding 1 and 1 and getting 2, 5 or 1022.

But i still believe Dave Furner is a man of integrity and honour. Many dont. But that's their call.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Simon Hawkins is the man responsible. I wonder if he knows.

The tragedy is that every time you get your hopes up, you remember McIntyre is still there and somehow your entire being deflates.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I'm not sure the left hand knows what the right is doing.

This just continues to prove the club is a royal mess
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Nick wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
actually he, amongst others, including me said he'd stand down when he felt he was not up for the job, not when the airchair experts on an internet forum thought so. Its my belief he made that decision, a press conference was called, and he was talked out of it, and instead we heard about Camp David, why that turn of events occured im not sure, but it was too weird for mine one might (and i do) suggest that the timing was poor given his replacement was in the middle of a rather important task and he wouldnt have appreciated the timing. I do but thats just me adding 1 and 1 and getting 2, 5 or 1022.

But i still believe Dave Furner is a man of integrity and honour. Many dont. But that's their call.
+1. This is all getting a little personal for my liking. But carry on
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Nick wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

You really think J-Mac would set himself up to look like a dunce by backing Furner to the hill, only for him to leave within two months?? No chance - his ego wouldn't allow it.

There is integrity and then there is retardation. Furner would be erring towards the latter if he walked away from 2 and a half years of a contract he'll never see the likes of again. I don't fault him for not walking away at all - but I still have to call out those who portrayed him as Mr Canberra Raiders :lol:
Raider47
Jason Croker

Post by Raider47 »

Nick wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

I'm sorry, but what a load of tripe. David Furner is a grown man ****. He can make his own decisions without being "talked out of it" by John "the Voice of Reason" McIntyre. The Raiders call press conferences every few days, including on Tuesdays to announce the team selections. To call a press conference to state that they were going away for a week is not too odd when you consider what we call other press conferences for. And also, how much lower can it get for himself to believe"he is not up for the job?" We came second last in 2011 and are on track to emulate that in 2012. If he seriously cared about the club he would stand down. It is as clear as day that the Raiders are going nowhere under his stewardship.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Getting over this whole saga, IMO it has turned into a poorly run Octagonal Abattoir.

There is just **** in all corners.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Stuart to perform an NRL first and coach 3 sides next season, as well as NSW.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

McIntyre doesnt seem to give a **** how the public feel about him.
He will do what he wants to do, say what he wants to say. That's very clear, to me what is also clear is what McIntyre-Don Furner etc, says public and what is going on, isnt always the same, in fact more than most clubs, we are insular, if your in, you know, if your out, your guessing like us.

McIntyre has been very clear. He will not sack David Furner, that's it. And he wont. You will not see a press release from the club saying they have sacked David Furner. That doesnt mean he will be coaching us in 2014.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Gerg wrote:
Nick wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

+1. This is all getting a little personal for my liking. But carry on

+1 again. Before I say anything, I don't think Dave is the right man for the job judging off his record at Canberra. In saying that I've met Dave and he is absolutely a great bloke. In 2010 I shook his hand in moose heads at Canberra the night that tigers knocked us out of the finals. He let me call my mate (another raider supporter) and spoke to him, so I could prove and rub in I was havin a few mouthfuls of beer with our favorite coach. I then told him, I still remember, don't ever leave the raiders. That was along time ago(in the footy world), and I have gradually changed my
Opinion.

The point of what I'm saying is Dave is a nice guy that no doubt is trying his heart out or the club he probably loves more than anyone on this forum. It doesn't mean he gets an excuse to be coach regardless of results, but it sure as hell means you shouldn't personally attack him on here or anywhere else. By all means voice that you think we need another coach but leave it at that. At the end of the day I live for green come footy season, but I'm not going to belittle or insult someone who's not doing a great job but giving it their all. Fair dinkum, try and act like adults and show some respect.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Irwinfletch
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Irwinfletch »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Which kind of looked after?

Or

Go the iceman!