All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Josh Dugan loses driver's licence

Post by greeneyed »

Dugan loses driver's licence

AUDIO: Click here

Canberra Raiders full-back Josh Dugan has lost his driver's licence for six months and been fined $600 after pleading guilty to speeding.

A second charge of driving without a licence was dropped by the prosecution in the ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday.

Dugan, 22, was accused of speeding in a 60-kilometre zone on a suspended licence in August last year.

Initially he pleaded not guilty to both charges, but today in court the second charge was abandoned by the prosecution.

Dugan then pleaded guilty to driving 100km/h in a 60km zone.

The court heard he was on a probationary licence and had two demerit points already.

The charges followed previous indiscretions in 2010 when he was initially disqualified for 15 months for reckless driving and driving with a suspended licence.

Dugan successfully appealed that disqualification conviction in the ACT Supreme Court and his licence was reinstated in October 2010.

Outside the court Dugan said he is a lot smarter for the experience.

"You know, I made a mistake and just looking to put it behind me and move forward now,'' Dugan said.

"Just looking forward to the game on the weekend."

He will play for the Raiders against North Queensland in Townsville on Saturday night.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-21/d ... ce/4083890
druryhard
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Dugan

Re: Josh Dugan loses driver's licence

Post by druryhard »

its algud i lost my licence when i was 17 so u lasted longer than me
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

everyone, meet druryhard
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Decorous Muse wrote:everyone, meet druryhard
:roflmao

You have been signed up since April and waited to comment on this? :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dugan's day in court ends with $600 fine

STAR NRL playmaker Josh Dugan has escaped with a slap on the wrist after pleading guilty to driving at 40km/h over the limit.

The Canberra Raiders five-eighth has three months to pay a $600 fine, while his licence remains suspended.

Dugan, 22, appeared at Canberra Magistrates Court today initially charged with driving on a suspended licence and another for high-range speeding.

The charges stem from August last year, when he was caught driving at 100km/h in a 60km/h zone by police officers travelling in a marked car behind him in Evatt, in Canberra's north.

But today, the court dropped the suspended licence charge and downgraded the second to speeding in excess of 30km/h but less than 45km/h over the limit.

Dugan's lawyer Kamy Saeedi said outside the court the prosecution had agreed Dugan had never properly been suspended.

"We managed to demonstrate that ... and last night, they accepted that and they made the right decision not to prosecute on that basis," he said.

"It was a great result.

"Ultimately there was nothing really remarkable about this matter."

Dugan, who was supported by Raiders chief Don Furner in court, said he'd learnt his lesson.

"I think I'm a lot smarter now," he said.

"I made a mistake and I'm just looking to put it behind me and looking forward to the game (against North Queensland) on the weekend."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breakin ... 6404080352
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dugan fined for speeding, loses licence

Prosecutors have dropped a suspended driving charge against Canberra Raider Josh Dugan, but the rugby league star has been fined $600 for speeding.

In the ACT Magistrates Court this morning the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions offered not to proceed with the suspended driving charge.

But Dugan pleaded guilty to travelling 100km/h in a 60km/h zone in August last year.

Magistrate David Mossop convicted the 22-year-old and fined him $600 plus court costs.

Dugan's licence is set to be suspended by the ACT Road Transport Authority due to accrued demerit points.

Outside the court, Dugan said he had made a mistake and wanted to put the incident behind him.

The more serious charge was dropped after eleventh-hour negotiations between Dugan's solicitor, Kamy Saeedi, and the DPP.

"Josh was never properly suspended from the outset, and we've managed to demonstrate that to the DPP and they accepted it," Mr Saeedi said.

The lawyer said the DPP made the right choice not to proceed.

In court, Mr Saeedi submitted that, but for the suspended driving charge, the speeding matter would most likely have been dealt with by an on-the-spot fine.

Mr Mossop agreed, and said the appropriate course of action was to treat the matter as if it was a minor traffic infringement.

Police spotted Dugan driving through the north Canberra suburb of Evatt in August last year.

When the car turned into William Webb Drive, police saw the car visibly speed up and estimated it was travelling "well in excess" of the posted speed limit of 60km/h.

An in-car device clocked Dugan at 100km/h.

The court heard Dugan was polite and cooperative with police after they pulled him over.

Dugan has one previous conviction for driving in a manner furious, reckless or dangerous.

At the time of the latest incident he held a probationary licence, giving him just two demerit points to lose.

Prosecutor Anthony Williamson said the speeding conviction would strip him of those points, and road authorities would again suspend him.

Dugan had initially pleaded not guilty to driving while suspended.

The RTA had suspended the footballer over an unpaid parking fine.

But, in his representations to the DPP, Mr Saeedi argued the RTA's notice of suspension was faulty, prompting prosecutors to abandon the charge.

Read mre: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canb ... 20pgp.html
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

This had better not be the start of josh carney, ending in raiders saying see ya later.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I doubt it. Josh has done some stupid things but he is no Carney. Besides, Josh has actually demonstrated insight and regret, something Todd is yet to do.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

this happened last year, by all accounts josh has been pretty good since (apart from drinking while injured)

and the report says he was polite and stopped straight away for the cops, todd prefered the running away method
Vaccinated
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Greenbits wrote:I doubt it. Josh has done some stupid things but he is no Carney. Besides, Josh has actually demonstrated insight and regret, something Todd is yet to do.
I don't want to be a bitch, but how much insight and remorse can you demonstrate when you do the same thing over and over?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Michael wrote:
Greenbits wrote:I doubt it. Josh has done some stupid things but he is no Carney. Besides, Josh has actually demonstrated insight and regret, something Todd is yet to do.
I don't want to be a bitch, but how much insight and remorse can you demonstrate when you do the same thing over and over?

who are you talking about?

josh has had one speeding/reckless driving when he was on his ps, and the latest one where he would have got an on the spot fine except there was the mix up with his licence.

none involved drink driving or anything like that

not really over and over again

todd on the other hand :nooo
Vaccinated
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

He's had his licence taken away twice now - that requires repeated infringements. It's not a big deal or anything, but giving him credit is a bit of a stretch.
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by SubLime Green »

To be fair, those comments were being made in comparison with Todd Carney. It's not hard to give someone credit when you compare them to Todd Carney.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

does he need a hand to pay he $600 fine...where's my wallet.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Michael wrote:He's had his licence taken away twice now - that requires repeated infringements. It's not a big deal or anything, but giving him credit is a bit of a stretch.
Not really giving him credit, he's no saint. Like sublime said it was a direct comparison to Todd. You get the sense that Duges is growing up, even if it is a little slowly. Todd on the other hand...
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Comparing him copping a few speeding fines to doing a runner whilst pissed and pissing on someone, turn it up.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

green94 wrote:does he need a hand to pay he $600 fine...where's my wallet.

Ahaha. The best comment I've heard about Duges was from a knights mate, I can't remember which game but upon seeing Dugan drop a ball he piped up saying "I bet he didn't drop the pen signing that 650 grand contract!"
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe I'll bump into Duges on the buses? TC seems to be going okay. Every time I see him interviewed these days it actually looks like the brain is engaged, unlike years gone by. I think its almost worth bring.....
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

dugan=mullins wrote:
Decorous Muse wrote:everyone, meet druryhard
:roflmao

You have been signed up since April and waited to comment on this? :lol:
:lol: it is rather strange. More importantly, how about your attention to detail...
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

CJ42 wrote:Comparing him copping a few speeding fines to doing a runner whilst pissed and pissing on someone, turn it up.
:lol:

It's actually more akin to 3rd world nations accepting money from drug lords which they'll then use to build infrastructure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Court gives speedster Dugan a driving lesson

Rugby league player Josh Dugan has been fined $600 for speeding, but prosecutors have abandoned a suspended driving charge against the Canberra Raiders star. Raiders CEO Don Furner, who supported Dugan in court, said they were yet to discuss whether Dugan would face internal sanctions. ''We'll get this game out of the road and talk about it next week,'' he said. Mr Furner said he might also talk to sponsors who were making the trip to Townsville about the situation. ''We'll look at it, we'll talk to the board about it and Monday next week we'll talk to the coaching staff.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 20r66.html
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Let's kick him out of the club and see him rip sh*t up a somewhere else. Wow he lost his licence, it happens.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Just nitpicking I know, but I would have advised him to have a shave, wear a tie and iron his shirt before fronting the court.

I trust that if the club paid for his lawyer that it gets declared in the salary cap.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

myanonymoususername wrote:Just nitpicking I know, but I would have advised him to have a shave, wear a tie and iron his shirt before fronting the court.

I trust that if the club paid for his lawyer that it gets declared in the salary cap.
Im guessing that is his lawyer next to him , he has the 5 oclock shadow as well.

Don doesnt have a tie on either.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Josh Dugan loses driver's licence

Post by -GD- »

Regs Revolution wrote:Let's kick him out of the club and see him rip sh*t up a somewhere else. Wow he lost his licence, it happens.
Out of curiosity. Who said they want him punted?
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

-GD- wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote:Let's kick him out of the club and see him rip sh*t up a somewhere else. Wow he lost his licence, it happens.
Out of curiosity. Who said they want him punted?
No one.
Inactive
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JT

Post by Inactive »

But he looked cool with his shades and his suit , bit like a movie star !! Playing at 5/8 tonight should be a laugh , like a comedy !!