2012 Rd 13 V Wests Tigers: Teams and Previews *Team p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2012 Rd 13 V Wests Tigers: Teams and Previews *Team p1*

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, good move by Furner as Williams is clearly a defensive liability at this stage of his career. We simply can't afford to gift the Tigers 12-18 points through the highway that is the space between Sam and Jarrod.

I'm not sure if the Dugan thing will work - we now have two 5/8 style players in the halves. If Waddell starts this game we are going to look like a complete rabble in attack IMO. At least Dugan and Ferguson at centre should get a bit more ball, but McCrone needs to step up and organise the attack.

In saying that, something had to give and Furner has just about run out of options. We are just lucky Robbo is a good fullback deputy.

Other than Waddell to the bench (or left out entirely for Buttriss), what I want to see is a billion offloads from Harrison and Fensom. We need to stretch this Tigers defence and try to get multiple shots at them. Time for TLL to take some angry pills too.

Anyway, I'm not that confident we can turn around those terrible defensive lapses from last week, but it should be interesting to see how it goes.
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

Which ever way you look at it, this is an exciting team sheet!!
pete
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Public servants that have never played

Post by pete »

If you dissagree with anything greenhouse you are moderated and sidelined . Thats dissapointing in a free world
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think our organisation will improve with Dugan in the halves. Dugan is a leader. He barks instructions and he fires the boys up. The closer he is and the more involved he is the better IMO.

He also gives 100% and never drops his head which could rub off on the rest of the boys now that Duges is in the thick of it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pete wrote:If you dissagree with anything greenhouse you are moderated and sidelined . Thats dissapointing in a free world
If you don't follow the site guidelines you are moderated. There is no "view" of the site. All the views expressed are from the posters. What we ask is that people are reasonably polite to players etc and other posters, and facts can be substantiated from another respectable source, particularly one where the claims are damaging in some way.
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

Kudos to Furner for changing things up. Very interested to see how this new lineup goes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Raiders Team Announcement - Round 13

Raiders Coach David Furner discusses the team to take on the Wests Tigers in round 13 action at Canberra Stadium.

Click here

Raiders media

http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... d-13/56128
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I think our organisation will improve with Dugan in the halves. Dugan is a leader. He barks instructions and he fires the boys up. The closer he is and the more involved he is the better IMO.

He also gives 100% and never drops his head which could rub off on the rest of the boys now that Duges is in the thick of it.
Wow a post without a mention of Dave or Furner.
WorkChoice
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, I certainly hope the experiment works as I've said in the past I do see Dugan as our 5/8 once Campo retires (hopefully later rather than sooner) as I see a fair bit of Darren Lockyer in him. I'd even like to see a Ballin, Campo, Dugan, Robinson spine if all the moons align next season.

Right now though, I have concerns with a Waddell, McCrone, Dugan combo when Duges is making his debut in the halves while his shoulder is clearly nowhere near 100%. I'm certainly not expecting him to turn this team around as easy as that.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Why were you sidelined Pete?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Josh Dugan - I want to make it up to the fans

Raiders star Josh Dugan explains himself after retruning from a one week ban and discusses his shift to five-eighth for this weekends match against the Tigers.

Click here

Raiders media

http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/ ... fans/56131
BJ
Steve Walters

2012 Rd 13 V Wests Tigers: Teams and Previews *Team p1*

Post by BJ »

I think Dugan to 5/8th is a good move I just hope us fans are prepared to give it a few weeks before saying it's a failure and sack the coach who put him there. I also wonder if campese should come back as a lock in the Anasta mould and give us an extra point of attack. Might put less lateral pressure on his defense after coming back from 2 knee recons.
pete
Glenn Lazarus

Post by pete »

A desperate idiot trying his best to save his job. Bugger me he will do anything to hang on. What about the left defence.
Last edited by pete on May 29, 2012, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Post by Gillfish »

How bout we see how Duges goes first before you start giving Campo a positional change
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Considering how badly the last few weeks have gone and the enormity of the challenge this week, to feel any kind of excitement or hope is a big thing. The simple fact is Dugan is the team's best attacking player and needs his hands on the ball as often as possible. And because we have Robinson, we are not leaving a hole at fullback.

Still, it all comes down to attitude. This line-up is easily good enough to win but only if it comes out as a cohesive, committed team.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

This reads well:

"I thought it was a bit of a long time coming," he [Dugan] said. "I trained there a bit in pre-season and when Terry Campese got injured I thought then I'd be a good chance of having a crack at it."

Sounds like he is raring to have a go at 5/8th.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

I just hope Dugan will be able to handle the extra defensive work load. He'll be making more tackles than he usually would from fullback.
I'm pretty sure the Tigers forwards will be looking to target Duges in the defensive line and make him work hard in defense to hopefully lessen his contribution in attack.

We really need to make sure we hold on to the ball, complete our sets and get as many repeat sets as possible to make sure the Tigers dont get the chance to do that.
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
pete
Glenn Lazarus

Post by pete »

Stuff you last week dugan and this week become our saviour as 5/8. ****
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Does this team imply that the defensive issues on the croker/Williams side were Williams' fault??

2 more changes I would have liked to see:
1. Waddell- we need a better hooker.
2. Croker -I think he needs to improve his D before he plays in first grade again.
aussie1st
David Furner

Post by aussie1st »

We at least Furner is making some changes, will be interesting seeing how Dugan goes at 5/8. Definitely worried about the short kicking game but something had to give. Hopefully more ball for Edrick being outside Ferguson instead of Croker.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fullback Josh Dugan to switch to five-eighth for match against Wests Tigers

CANBERRA Raiders stars Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson will return to the Raiders line-up this Saturday for the match against the Tigers at Canberra Stadium, after serving a one week ban for breaching the club's alcohol policy.

Dugan returns to the team in a new position at five-eighth, with Reece Robinson remaining at fullback and Josh McCrone shifting back to halfback.

Ferguson comes back into the team and will play in the centres, with both Edrick Lee and Dimitri Pelo retaining their wing positions after strong performances last weekend.

Joel Thompson moves from the centres back into the second row, with Bronson Harrison shifting back to the bench.

Sam Mataora has been named at 18th man, while Sam Williams will play for Mounties in the NSW Cup.

Raiders Coach David Furner said Dugan and Ferguson have fronted the Club Player Representatives (CPR) and they’re satisfied with the punishment that was handed down last week.

“Both Josh and Blake have met with the CPR, they’ve accepted their punishment of missing last weekend and we now move on to focus on the Tigers this weekend,” Furner said.

Raiders: Reece Robinson, Dimitri Pelo, Jarrod Croker, Blake Ferguson, Edrick Lee, Josh Dugan, Josh Mccrone, David Shillington (c), Travis Waddell, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Josh Papalii, Joel Thompson, Shaun Fensom. Interchange: Shaun Berrigan, Joe Picker, Bronson Harrison, Dane Tilse, Sam Mataora

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6372562813
pete
Glenn Lazarus

Post by pete »

Furner knows he is on his last legs. If he loses much more he will have to Quit like Mal did.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Coming down to see this
pete
Glenn Lazarus

Post by pete »

Why woudn't you start a clive churchill winning hooker at hooker.
semaj97
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Blake Ferguson

Post by semaj97 »

benda wrote:Does this team imply that the defensive issues on the croker/Williams side were Williams' fault??

2 more changes I would have liked to see:
1. Waddell- we need a better hooker.
2. Croker -I think he needs to improve his D before he plays in first grade again.
Great idea benda! Bring buttriss in for waddell and bring wighton in for Croker. Thankgod we have someone like you in here, who knows what they are talking about
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

LP Raider wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:I think our organisation will improve with Dugan in the halves. Dugan is a leader. He barks instructions and he fires the boys up. The closer he is and the more involved he is the better IMO.

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Baffling move IMO. As someone else pointed out, why have Dugan making 20+ tackles a game? Desperate move and shows that Furner has run out of ideas.

The main problem with this squad is that our senior players don't step up and take charge. Its all well and good throwing Sam Williams on the scrap heap but where are the questions being asked of B.Harrsion, TLL and Croker? Why has Croker NEVER been dropped (He has had far more crap games than Williams)? Why has Harrision never been dropped? Both, IMO, have shown themselves to be below NRL standard.
I have no proof but i truly believe that certain senior players know they have zero pressure on their spots in the team and play accordingly, which is why you see a good performance one week and a poor one the next (or once Campo goes down or they believe the season is over you see rubbish game after rubbish game). Furner has been too loyal some players and in turn is not creating an environment where there is genuine competition for first grade spots.
pete
Glenn Lazarus

Post by pete »

And edrick is should be inside center.
pete
Glenn Lazarus

Post by pete »

QUEANBEAYN MONGO'S ARE NOT THE COACHE'S AND ADMINISTRATORS THEIR FATHER'S WERE.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dugan to square off with Benji

AUDIO: Media Call: David Furner Click here
AUDIO: Media Call: Josh Dugan Click here

Canberra star Josh Dugan will spark the Raiders from five-eighth against the Wests Tigers on Saturday in his return from a one-week ban.

Dugan usually plays at full-back but will pull on the number six jumper against Tim Sheens' side in a move he says is "a long time coming".

"I trained there a fair bit in the preseason as a back-up for Campo [skipper Terry Campese]," he said.

"When Campo got injured again against the Broncos earlier in the year I thought I'd be a good chance at having a crack at it.

"It wasn't to be and I think it's about getting those couple of games under my belt before I got put in that spot.

"But I'm excited for the challenge and I'm looking forward to it. I'm not too sure about it yet but I'll see how we go on the weekend and then go from there."

It will be a baptism of fire for Dugan as he comes up against the game's premier playmaker in Tigers pivot Benji Marshall.

"I have to be on my game 100 per cent," he admitted.

"I think they'll be testing out the defence a bit and hopefully we can withstand it.

"The Tigers boys are on a roll, they've won five in a row, so they'll be coming down here looking to do what they did to us last year [a 49-12 thumping in round eight]."

Coach David Furner said Dugan will not be a fish out of water with the number six on his back.

"[Defensive ability is] one of the reasons. I think Josh can handle that role in a combination with Josh McCrone," he said.

"He has played in that position there as a junior."

Regular winger Blake Ferguson also returns from a booze-related ban and will slot into the Canberra centres alongside utility Joel Thompson.

"I think Joely Thompson's best position is in the back row," Furner said.

"He filled in a position in last week there in the centres with Jack Wighton still out injured and we don't know the extent of it how long ... Fergo has played in the centres before and done a very good job."

Reece Robinson will start at number one again while young half-back Sam Williams returns to NSW Cup duties.

Do the crime, do the time

Dugan and Ferguson will return to action in round 13 after missing the Raiders' 36-18 loss to South Sydney on Friday night after being stood down for breaching the club's alcohol policy.

But there was no doubt in Dugan's mind that he had served his time in Furner's eyes.

"I think that he wouldn't [play Dugan at six] if he didn't think I could handle it," he said.

"But that's a big boost for me, knowing he has that faith in me.

"We trained well today and hopefully we can keep that up all week and take it into the game."

The Canberra-born 22-year-old, who has one New South Wales Origin start and an NRL All Stars player of the match award to his name, said missing the Raiders' loss to Souths was painful.

"Last week me and Fergo did our own training while the boys were up there ... [it was] kind of heartbreaking to watch the boys lose like that and know that you can't be there helping them," he said.

"We've done our punishment and paid our dues and we're just looking to move forward and get off to a good start this week and make it up to the fans and our team-mates."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-29/d ... ji/4040340
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
LP Raider wrote:

that makes it two, you ok.
WorkChoice
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Fkn love Duges.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Riaan wrote:Baffling move IMO. As someone else pointed out, why have Dugan making 20+ tackles a game? Desperate move and shows that Furner has run out of ideas.

The main problem with this squad is that our senior players don't step up and take charge. Its all well and good throwing Sam Williams on the scrap heap but where are the questions being asked of B.Harrsion, TLL and Croker? Why has Croker NEVER been dropped (He has had far more crap games than Williams)? Why has Harrision never been dropped? Both, IMO, have shown themselves to be below NRL standard.
I have no proof but i truly believe that certain senior players know they have zero pressure on their spots in the team and play accordingly, which is why you see a good performance one week and a poor one the next (or once Campo goes down or they believe the season is over you see rubbish game after rubbish game). Furner has been too loyal some players and in turn is not creating an environment where there is genuine competition for first grade spots.
I agree the players you mentioned haven't stood up, however, Williams is your general he has IMO a much more important role to play.

It is unfortunate but Williams has been given plenty of opportunities to make the number 7 jumper his own. His defense has let the side down but more importantly he has really struggled to take control as a number 7.

I also think Croker is very lucky that Wighton is injured or he might have found himself lining up alongside Williams at mounties.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

pete wrote:A desperate idiot trying his best to save his job. Bugger me he will do anything to hang on. What about the left defence.
Your just an idiot... trying to get a bit of attention.

j
WorkChoice
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

pete wrote:QUEANBEAYN MONGO'S ARE NOT THE COACHE'S AND ADMINISTRATORS THEIR FATHER'S WERE.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Please don't ban pete ever again.
Up The Milk