Post by greeneyed »

Furner fined $10,000 for comments on referees

http://www.nrl.com/furner-fined-for-ref ... fault.aspx
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Re: Furner fined $10,000 for comments on referees

Post by Decorous Muse »

the oppressive regime rolls on
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Ordinary decision.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Should get Bill Harrigan to explain the 13-15m that the ref's were holding in our game
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

LOL
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

To be honest I think it's ok because we can't let our sport turn into soccer where everyone gets away with acting like kids screaming at refs, but it's a tough call because long and short the refs got it wrong and what furner said has merit.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Pinkachu
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Josh Dugan

Post by Pinkachu »

Can we fine the refs $10,000 for being sh*t?
JohanV
Brett Mullins

Post by JohanV »

You can't accuse referees of bias, which Furner did. I though he overstepped the mark looking at the press conference on fox sports.
Last edited by JohanV on May 8, 2012, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Another example of Harrigan sweeping the incompetence if his referees under the table. Acknowledged they missed a blatant knock on but not the inconsistency of the application of the rules.

And Furner is 100% correct in saying that the refs would have expected Manly to win. Everyone expected Manly to win! I'm sure the Raiders will contest this.

Will be interesting to see what the refs do this weekend in our game. Will they punish us for bagging them or give us an even up?

I also believe that Furner has every right to be angry. His job and reputation are on the line and twice clear errors have cost us the chance to win a game. 2 more wins and Furner is cruising instead of being under the pump!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Raiders should refuse to pay. He has not said a thing about the refs integrity.

One day a smart club will do the testing to show whether the refs are unconsciously bias, and the NRL may find itself with real problems.
markqt
Brett Mullins

Post by markqt »

I don't really think you can really do anything with the knock on they missed. Refs are always going to make mistakes here and there. That is an unfortunate one they did not pick up. Moving on from that...

Furner has the right to question the referees about the offside penalties we had. Footage from the pregame showed on fox yesterday the ref was 13-14m behind the line. Harrigan blatently said a few weeks ago, referees will be consistent and be standing exactly behind the 10. Obviously not....
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

money well spent
Edrick The Entertainer
Greenmachine77
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Sisa Waqa

Post by Greenmachine77 »

I always think when one of these $10k fines gets issued, I bet the coach wishes he went right off his nut and made it worth it. DF was pissed off but the Raiders get served with $10k fine cause of what he said yet if he said "The refs are blind rotten cheats and have no f..n idea" or "Bill Harrigan is a F!%$!@n @and*^)!! who is incompetent, etc etc - it would still be a $10k fine !

Make it worth it next time Dave :P
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

Mark Webber should come out and announce "its my shout"

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Post by Stuat »

edwahu wrote:The Raiders should refuse to pay. He has not said a thing about the refs integrity.

One day a smart club will do the testing to show whether the refs are unconsciously bias, and the NRL may find itself with real problems.
There is no doubt unconscious bias exists in the NRL. The video ref stats provide very good evidence of it.

If I was the raiders, I'd be going back through video of our games and looking at all the penalties and all the non penalties- timing how long players are held down in holding down penalties and how many times that happens in a game without a penalty. Same for offside etc etc etc The video ref data suggest they would find a result in our favour. If they do send it to the NRL and the papers.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Refuse to pay.. but offer to trade $10,000 for 2 points. Fair ?
semaj97
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Blake Ferguson

Post by semaj97 »

Is there a video of his comments, because I would like to know what all of the fuss is about
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

JohanV wrote:You can't accuse referees of bias, which Furner did. I though he overstepped the mark looking at the press conference on fox sports.
Exactly. There were a few bad decisions and Furner had every right to mention them. However to backhandedly accuse them of deliberate bias is not on and just makes Dave look unprofessional. Call Harrigan, vent your spleen in private but going off half cocked in a press conference is amateurish IMO.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Check media conferences on the Foxsports website.

As someone said above he should have gone off his nut to make it 10 grand well spent , what he said doesn't justify the fine
Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
JohanV wrote:You can't accuse referees of bias, which Furner did. I though he overstepped the mark looking at the press conference on fox sports.
Exactly. There were a few bad decisions and Furner had every right to mention them. However to backhandedly accuse them of deliberate bias is not on and just makes Dave look unprofessional. Call Harrigan, vent your spleen in private but going off half cocked in a press conference is amateurish IMO.
Wow, who would have thought you would be on the anti-Furner side of this debate. I'm shocked
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

is it just me, or does the VR take 10 looks at every raiders try that is referred, but takes one or two at any other team before the inevitable green light is given?

Conspiracy for sure.
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Should have spent the 10k better and told Bill to go **** himself. :)
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Wiggy wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Wow, who would have thought you would be on the anti-Furner side of this debate. I'm shocked
It is what it is. The NRL happened to think Furner was out of line and Furner got fined. I happened to think Furner was out of line. It has **** all to do with club loyalty or my opinion on Dave's coaching.
Raidersrawesome wrote:Check media conferences on the Foxsports website.

As someone said above he should have gone off his nut to make it 10 grand well spent , what he said doesn't justify the fine
Seriously? You people want to see Dave go into a press conference and call ref cheats? and Harrigan a ****? If Dave did that the NRL would suspend him, fine the club 6 figures and the club would be a laughing stock.

Get some perspective. Dave did the wrong thing, dealt with the situation poorly and received a fine for his trouble.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I thought Dave trod close to the line , my point was if he was going to be fined for what he said he might as well unloaded.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote:The Raiders should refuse to pay. He has not said a thing about the refs integrity.

This was exactly the point I was about to make. It is well known match officials have unconscious bias, this is why the top teams get he 50-50 calls their way. It is time the refs had help in understanding and combatting this unconscious bias. Furner did not say the refs were biased. At most he suggested they may have been unconsciously influenced by expectations of which team would win. This is a well understood scientifically proven phenomenon.

The Raiders should contest the fine.

They probably won't because it'll cost even more to contest it.

But it is not a just outcome.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

KW wrote:is it just me, or does the VR take 10 looks at every raiders try that is referred, but takes one or two at any other team before the inevitable green light is given?

Conspiracy for sure.
100%, the Sharks game was a perfect example.

Sharks first try the ref had one look and awarded it, RR try at the end was clearly OK and the VR took an eternity to award.
WorkChoice
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I thought the ref took too long to call held on Dugan's try, does that count ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders coach fined $10,000

Canberra Raiders coach David Furner has been fined $10,000 over post-match comments questioning referees' impartiality during Sunday's 18-12 defeat to Manly.

The under-pressure Furner's side were not helped in the hard-fought contest by an apparent knock-on from the Sea Eagles' Jorge Taufua, deep in his own half, not being called late in the game.

The Australia Rugby League Commission took umbrage at Furner hinting that his side were not given a chance of winning.

"I don't think anyone expected us to come here and win, and maybe not them," Furner said.

The ARL felt this crossed the line between criticising officials' performance and accusing them of bias.

"Coaches have the right to criticise a referee's performance and to express their views but questioning a match official's integrity is unacceptable," ARL official Nathan McGuirk said.

"There was a clear inference in Mr Furner's comments that the match officials had a pre-determined view of the result of the game."

The Raiders have five business days to respond to the charge.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-08/r ... 00/3997792
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote:

This was exactly the point I was about to make. It is well known match officials have unconscious bias, this is why the top teams get he 50-50 calls their way. It is time the refs had help in understanding and combatting this unconscious bias. Furner did not say the refs were biased. At most he suggested they may have been unconsciously influenced by expectations of which team would win. This is a well understood scientifically proven phenomenon.

The Raiders should contest the fine.

They probably won't because it'll cost even more to contest it.

But it is not a just outcome.
The fine is not about questioning the decisions or if the decisions were correct or incorrect. It is about the manner in which Dave chose to do it. If Dave had of indicated he would speak to Harrigan and left it at that he would not have been fined.
Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I happened to think Furner was out of line. It has **** all to do with club loyalty or my opinion on Dave's coaching.
I have no doubt that you think Furner was out of line, and you don’t think it has anything to do with your bias, just like if you ask the refs about the game, they would confirm at no stage did they think "well the Raiders are probably going to lose this so I'm going to penalise".

That’s because its unconscious bias that others have mentioned that’s at play. This is why I think the fine is unfair. As a coach Furner cannot complain about the Ref's integrity, but I don’t think he did that.

Complaining that the ref’s may have been unconsciously bias is way different then complaining that they acted without integrity.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders still deciding whether to contest 10,000 fine

The Canberra Raiders have been slapped with a $10,000 fine after coach David Furner questioned the integrity of the referees after Sunday's 18-12 loss to Manly. The Raiders are still deciding whether they will contest the decision, and have until Friday to do so.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 1ya43.html
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Wiggy wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:I happened to think Furner was out of line. It has **** all to do with club loyalty or my opinion on Dave's coaching.
I have no doubt that you think Furner was out of line, and you don’t think it has anything to do with your bias, just like if you ask the refs about the game, they would confirm at no stage did they think "well the Raiders are probably going to lose this so I'm going to penalise".

That’s because its unconscious bias that others have mentioned that’s at play. This is why I think the fine is unfair. As a coach Furner cannot complain about the Ref's integrity, but I don’t think he did that.

Complaining that the ref’s may have been unconsciously bias is way different then complaining that they acted without integrity.
Nice Try. However saying the refs made some mistakes is VERY different to saying the refs were bias. The fact that he implied they were unconsciously bias still implies that their decisions were deliberate and not mistakes.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Greg Alexander should be fined $10 000 for bias against the raiders....
He was in commentary last night for the sharks v rabbits and you can clearly see how much he hates the raiders....
When its a controversial call in our games he quickly takes the other teams side, but in the game he called last night he gave both teams a fair go, and he wasn't so harsh on the players when they made an error... when the raiders make an error he goes on and on saying how bad they are.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

Nice Try. However saying the refs made some mistakes is VERY different to saying the refs were bias. The fact that he implied they were unconsciously bias still implies that their decisions were deliberate and not mistakes.
No unconscious bias is the opposite of deliberate.
Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Nice Try. However saying the refs made some mistakes is VERY different to saying the refs were bias. The fact that he implied they were unconsciously bias still implies that their decisions were deliberate and not mistakes.
I dont agree, if they don't know about the bias, then they cant be deliberate.