Five Canberra Raiders in NSW Emerging Origin squad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Blake Ferguson, Joel Thompson, Jarrod Croker, Terry Campese and Josh McCrone Raiders players chosen in NSW Emerging Origin squad.

The Canberra Times
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Five Canberra Raiders in NSW Emerging Origin squad

Post by kiwi raider »

:lol: i take it they haved named every eligible NSW player except Fensom again! even McCrone!
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

kiwi raider wrote::lol: i take it they haved named every eligible NSW player except Fensom again! even McCrone!
Ridiculous! Is he really so far off the NSW selectors' radar?!?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Wikipedia did say McCrone was a certainity. I stand corrected on my Wiki faith.
But yeah, surprised Fensom didn't get a look in
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

IIRC these training camps are staged pre-season? And again IIRC, Fensom had shoulder surgery which has kept him out for a large part of pre-season thus making him unavailable for this. He said he was only confident of being fit for the first trial.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

^ Correct.

Fensom had to get a few things fixed up in the off season.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

I thought the Emerging Camp was for players who've never played SOO....?
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's a mickey mouse selection for players who basically have no hope of playing. Kind of a pat on the back and keep trying thing.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Fensoms omission is no surprise even if he wasn't recovering, he wasn't picked last year for the 500 man squad and NSW selectors have shown their dislike of workhorses (Gallen the exception) over the past few years, I have the feeling he'll be ignored his whole career like Tongue was which will be a travesty and one of the reasons the Blues are so ****, idiot selectors.

On recovering from injury, they don't play a game, it's more to do with players getting an idea of the system etc so no reason he couldn't be there except the blues selectors are cock wallets.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

dubby wrote:It's a mickey mouse selection for players who basically have no hope of playing. Kind of a pat on the back and keep trying thing.
Well not really. 9 players from last years squad went on to play for either NSW or Australia.

Jamal Idris
Josh Dugan
Jamie Soward
Tim Mannah
Akuila Uate
Tony Williams
Williams Hopoate
Kade Snowden
Keith Galloway
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Yeah Manbush. These camps are normally orientation style events.

Congrats to the guys who made it. As a Qlder I hope NSW do ignore Fensom.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

We are just copying what QLD has done for years. Which in itself is a good thing.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Fensom will be in the mix come city v country and I can't think of any other lock who would get the number 13 gig for country.

IMO Fensom will get the Blue Jersey one day but at the moment his defense over shadows the good work he does and can do with the ball. Put him behind a firing front row and Fensom will start to get the recognition he deserves.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart names his emerging Blues squad for Origin

TERRY Campese's hopes of resurrecting his NSW Origin career received a huge boost yesterday when he was named in coach Ricky Stuart's emerging Blues squad.

Campese, fellow Raiders playmaker Josh McCrone and feisty Warriors five-eighth James Maloney are the three most intriguing selections among this year's 23 hopefuls that Stuart believes can pressure his incumbents.

Despite having played just one half of football before re-injuring his knee last June, Campese has been given a heartening vote of confidence to earn an Origin recall from his lone appearance in 2009.

Stuart also showed enormous faith in the latest Blues scrumbase combination - Jamie Soward and Mitchell Pearce - during last year's series, keeping the pairing for all three games.

But the reality of a sixth straight series loss will again prompt debate over who should steer the NSW attack opposite Maroons duo Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk.

Focused on his long-awaited comeback in next month's Albury trial against Melbourne, Campese was not even aware the squad was on the verge of assembling until rumblings reached him earlier this week.

Along with Raiders teammates Jarrod Croker, Joel Thompson, Blake Ferguson and McCrone, the 27-year-old will travel up the Hume Highway to the Blues traditional base in Coogee next weekend.

Manly youngster Darcy Lussick, Titans excitement machine Ryan James and Tigers utility Tim Moltzen will be other notable attendees at the camp, which is also expected to include input from NSW greats such as Steve Roach and Trent Barrett.

"I've just been trying to work on my injuries and get back in the best possible shape for the trials, so I didn't even know about the camp," Campese told The Daily Telegraph last night.

"When I was told I was pretty surprised, but it's great to be in there. My focus is still definitely on coming back for Canberra, but a few of the other boys who went to last year's camp said it was really good to know you're on the radar," he said.

Stuart has significantly trimmed down the squad from last year's inaugural group, which numbered 51 players and included several Toyota Cup prodigies with zero NRL experience.

He's also put a greater focus on the front-row, another area the Blues have struggled to match their rivals - with the exception of skipper Paul Gallen's remarkable cameo in Origin II last year.

Of the 12 forwards selected, eight are props and Dragons bookend Trent Merrin is the only one with Origin experience.

Manly giant Tony Williams is another inclusion.

Emerging Blues squad

Forwards: Luke Douglas, Andrew Fifita, Tim Grant, Aaron Woods, Dan Hunt, Trent Merrin, Darcy Lussick, Tony Williams, Tariq Sims, Joel Thompson, Ryan James, Ryan Hinchcliffe

Backs: Terry Campese, James Maloney, Tim Moltzen, Josh McCrone, Kyle Stanley, Blake Ayshford, Blake Ferguson, Jarrod Croker, Michael Gordon, Lachlan Coote, BJ Leilua

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6242156156
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

This story made backpage of the Tele, congrats to the boys.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Daily Telegraph wrote: Despite having played just one half of football before re-injuring his knee last June
A few things wrong with this sentence.

But should hopefully give Campo some confidence and motivation coming in to next season.

Looks like Jamie Soward might be in some trouble with 3 5/8s named (not sure if Stick considers McCrone a 6 or 7).
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Walt Flanigan wrote:
Daily Telegraph wrote: Despite having played just one half of football before re-injuring his knee last June
A few things wrong with this sentence.

But should hopefully give Campo some confidence and motivation coming in to next season.

Looks like Jamie Soward might be in some trouble with 3 5/8s named (not sure if Stick considers McCrone a 6 or 7).

Knee bone connected to the thigh bone , thigh bone connected to hip bone ...........
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Campese's Origin chance comes out of the blue

Having played just eight minutes in his cherished green jersey last year, the last thing Terry Campese had on his mind was being measured for a sky blue one.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 17485.aspx
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: Emerging Blues squad

Forwards: Luke Douglas, Andrew Fifita, Tim Grant, Aaron Woods, Dan Hunt, Trent Merrin, Darcy Lussick, Tony Williams, Tariq Sims, Joel Thompson, Ryan James, Ryan Hinchcliffe

Backs: Terry Campese, James Maloney, Tim Moltzen, Josh McCrone, Kyle Stanley, Blake Ayshford, Blake Ferguson, Jarrod Croker, Michael Gordon, Lachlan Coote, BJ Leilua
The picked Joel as a forward. :hmmm

Been a while since he's played there. Does that mean he's heading back to the pack for the Raiders?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Campo has been getting a lot of DT love lately. He's been in at least 3 or 4 stories in the last fortnight
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Blues target Riverina trio

RIVERINA rugby league star Josh McCrone yesterday confirmed his bid for the Blues number seven jersey as he was named in the emerging State of Origin squad.

Following a breakthrough season with the Canberra Raiders, the 24-year-old halfback from Temora was pinpointed by Blues coach Ricky Stuart as a potential NSW hero when the squad selections were announced yesterday.

Fellow Riverina products Ryan Hinchcliffe (Melbourne Storm) and Joel Thompson (Canberra Raiders) were also among the list of players hand selected for possible Origin duty.

Minutes after hearing the news, McCrone told The Daily Advertiser he was honoured to be recognised.

“It’s pretty humbling,” he said.

“I was a bit shocked to be honest.

“I didn’t consider myself anything like an Origin player.

“It’s nice to think that you’re being watched and seen as a potential future Origin player.

“Joel (Thompson) and Ryan Hinchcliffe are also in the squad, he’s another Temora boy, so the Riverina always produces a few quality players.

“It was always my dream just to play in the NRL and I’m lucky enough to be doing that so I’ll just take it as it comes.”

The list, which was complied by Ricky Stuart and the Blues selectors, highlights players which have shown immense potential and will be considered to play State of Origin this season.

Although thrilled with his selection, McCrone is eager to concentrate on producing his best season possible with the Raiders.

“You don’t really look too far ahead, I just want to have a successful season with the Raiders,” he said.

“It’s good that they’ve got a pathway to that level.

“Origin would just be a nice bonus.”

McCrone, Thompson and Hinchcliffe will attend a camp with Stuart and the rest of the emerging squad on January 20.

A range of positions could be on offer for the trio including halfback, five-eighth and second-rower.

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/news/ ... 17239.aspx
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

We really do have some talent in our squad dont we? Campo, McCrone, Thompson, Croker and ferguson in this squad then throw in TLL, Shillington, Harrison, Fensom and Dugan... All upto Furner to get them firing.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

No excuses!
Raider Fan
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Raider Fan »

Rick wrote:No excuses!
Spot on. We have the talent we just have to use it.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Fair play to Josh, but when exactly did 'humbled' become the new buzz-word for pro-athletes? NBA players use it on a daily basis and I'm yet to see it used appropriately. It's become the 'literally' of the 2000s.
#BoneMcCrone
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Campese named in Emerging Blues squad

Canberra five-eighth Terry Campese heads a list of 23-players named by NSW coach Ricky Stuart for an Emerging Blues camp next week.

Campese, who made his sole State of Origin appearance in 2009, managed just one half of football last year before re-injuring the knee which ended his 2010 campaign.

The 27-year-old will be joined in the camp by Raiders team-mates Jarrod Croker, Blake Ferguson, Josh McCrone and Joel Thompson.

The camp gets underway next Friday at Coogee with Blues legends Glenn Lazarus and Steve Roach taking the players through a weekend of skills sessions, lectures and team-building activities.

Emerging NSW Blues squad: Terry Campese, Jarrod Croker, Blake Ferguson, Josh McCrone, Joel Thompson, Andrew Fifita, Luke Douglas, Ryan James, Darcy Lussick, Tony Williams, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Tariq Sims, Lachlan Coote, Michael Gordon, Tim Grant, Dan Hunt, Trent Merrin, Kyle Stanley, Joseph Leilua, James Maloney, Blake Ayshford, Tim Moltzen, Aaron Woods.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1pw9s.html
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rodman wrote:Fair play to Josh, but when exactly did 'humbled' become the new buzz-word for pro-athletes? NBA players use it on a daily basis and I'm yet to see it used appropriately. It's become the 'literally' of the 2000s.
Fair call.

Wouldn't being "humbled" by selection in one of these squads be more appropriate if you thought of yourself as, say, an Australian rep player and all you were selected in was an emerging Origin team? Anyway, I guess you could spend days dissecting the cliches and inappropriate terminology used by athletes!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Walt Flanigan wrote:
dubby wrote:It's a mickey mouse selection for players who basically have no hope of playing. Kind of a pat on the back and keep trying thing.
Well not really. 9 players from last years squad went on to play for either NSW or Australia.

Jamal Idris
Josh Dugan
Jamie Soward
Tim Mannah
Akuila Uate
Tony Williams
Williams Hopoate
Kade Snowden
Keith Galloway
Yep, fair enough.

Out of that bunch we know Hoppa wont be around so they had to replace him.
Idris is in and out of form and rep teams. he will be picked on hair again this year.
Soward.....be interesting to see how he handles life post-Bennett.
Mannah, Uate, Williams, Dugan I see as long term players in SOO. Not convinced with Galloway or Snowden. If TLL fires up he will oust one of them.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

hum·bled, hum·bling, hum·bles
1. To curtail or destroy the pride of; humiliate.
2. To cause to be meek or modest in spirit.
3. To give a lower condition or station to; abase.

It's correct usage. It causes him to be modest in spirit.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Rodman wrote:Fair play to Josh, but when exactly did 'humbled' become the new buzz-word for pro-athletes? NBA players use it on a daily basis and I'm yet to see it used appropriately. It's become the 'literally' of the 2000s.
Fair call.

Wouldn't being "humbled" by selection in one of these squads be more appropriate if you thought of yourself as, say, an Australian rep player and all you were selected in was an emerging Origin team? Anyway, I guess you could spend days dissecting the cliches and inappropriate terminology used by athletes!
Exactly. At this stage of his career Josh McCrone cannot be humbled by being picked in a rep squad. Humbling would be being sent to the Mounties. It's as if all these athletes think that describing an achievement as humbling makes them sound humble.

Nothing against Josh, it's just one of my pet peeves at the moment, but mainly because of its overuse by millionaire basketball players who have just been selected to all-star teams.
#BoneMcCrone
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm with you Rodman. He used the term out of context. Now its time for Josh to get out there and humble the **** out of the opposition.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:hum·bled, hum·bling, hum·bles
1. To curtail or destroy the pride of; humiliate.
2. To cause to be meek or modest in spirit.
3. To give a lower condition or station to; abase.

It's correct usage. It causes him to be modest in spirit.
Yeah, not so sure. Using that interpretation of definition 2 is essentially the antithesis of the 1st and 3rd definition. I know that's the way it's used in the general vernacular, but I'm not convinced it's the proper intent.

Look at me with all my big words. :lol: I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm sure the guy was surprised at his unexpected selection. Good on him, I hope Josh kills it this year.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rodman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
Fair call.

Exactly. At this stage of his career Josh McCrone cannot be humbled by being picked in a rep squad. Humbling would be being sent to the Mounties. It's as if all these athletes think that describing an achievement as humbling makes them sound humble.

Nothing against Josh, it's just one of my pet peeves at the moment, but mainly because of its overuse by millionaire basketball players who have just been selected to all-star teams.
Everything in the NBA pisses me off at the moment just quietly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No. Josh is right. You and Rodman are wrong. :)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wouldn't be the first time.