Raiders Team Round 1 2012

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Raiders Team Round 1 2012

Post by Mickey_Raider »

LP Raider wrote:Rodman we are bog average, our run last year was on the back of a lucky streak to injuries to opposition teams.

I commented several times about my concerns how we won games last year with injuries to key players like Lockyer, Kimmorley and Prince, we managed to win all those games last year yet there was always a cloud over those victories.

My concern is that nothing has changed in 3 years and next year will be no different... last year's success was on the back of key opposition players getting injured and i feel this year is a reflection of where this team is realy at.

Unless we have an injection to our roster during the offseason, i think it will be a matter of whether the opposition falls over again as to whether we make the finals, as sad as it is to say.
Not only that, I have reservations about both the quality of teams but also the manner in which we won those games in our hot streak.

Yes, we were playing good footy at the time but I believe we were riding a wave of momentum and confidence and an "all or nothing" approach, borne on the back of the fact that we could not afford to lose a game for the last third of the season.

Closer inspection of our wins revealed that 5 of our 9 wins were by 7 points or less. 3 of those 5 were by only 2 points! We truly were teetering on a knifes edge and even one unlucky bounce would have ended our year. Furthermore some of these teams we beat included the less than impressive cowboys, knights, sharks, broncos and bulldogs. We really didn't beat any proper title contenders, except for the dragons. History shows it doesn't really matter, and you make your own luck etc., which is true, but my point is that it would be foolish to believe that such a run ensures or even indicates future success.

Last year was no more or less than a minor miracle in my books. Next year, we really need a consistent year up the top of the table. Not a flukey run on a wave of confidence and momentum, but a proper assault on the title where we are thereabouts for the whole year. I don;t think it is unreasonable to doubt whether we can do this when considering that we have been an inconsistent rabble for the better part of 3 seasons, with or without campo.
Up The Milk
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
LP Raider wrote:Rodman we are bog average, our run last year was on the back of a lucky streak to injuries to opposition teams.

I commented several times about my concerns how we won games last year with injuries to key players like Lockyer, Kimmorley and Prince, we managed to win all those games last year yet there was always a cloud over those victories.

My concern is that nothing has changed in 3 years and next year will be no different... last year's success was on the back of key opposition players getting injured and i feel this year is a reflection of where this team is realy at.

Unless we have an injection to our roster during the offseason, i think it will be a matter of whether the opposition falls over again as to whether we make the finals, as sad as it is to say.
Not only that, I have reservations about both the quality of teams but also the manner in which we won those games in our hot streak.

Yes, we were playing good footy at the time but I believe we were riding a wave of momentum and confidence and an "all or nothing" approach, borne on the back of the fact that we could not afford to lose a game for the last third of the season.

Closer inspection of our wins revealed that 5 of our 9 wins were by 7 points or less. 3 of those 5 were by only 2 points! We truly were teetering on a knifes edge and even one unlucky bounce would have ended our year. Furthermore some of these teams we beat included the less than impressive cowboys, knights, sharks, broncos and bulldogs. We really didn't beat any proper title contenders, except for the dragons. History shows it doesn't really matter, and you make your own luck etc., which is true, but my point is that it would be foolish to believe that such a run ensures or even indicates future success.

Last year was no more or less than a minor miracle in my books. Next year, we really need a consistent year up the top of the table. Not a flukey run on a wave of confidence and momentum, but a proper assault on the title where we are thereabouts for the whole year. I don;t think it is unreasonable to doubt whether we can do this when considering that we have been an inconsistent rabble for the better part of 3 seasons, with or without campo.
There's a slight difference between having doubts, and saying "If Furners still there, I dont care if the great Jesus Christ is playing five eigth for us, we'll still finish bottom 4," or saying that our only chance is if other teams get injured and fall over. I just don't get why you'd keep coming back if a returning star player gives you absolutely no hope for the future.
#BoneMcCrone
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Raiders Team Round 1 2012

Post by pickles »

To be honest I don't mind who lines up in our spine next year from the available players as long as they know who they will be at least 2 months out from the start of the season.

I think one of the reasons we have struggled to start well is that we are running out a side where players are still playing for positions. That can't provide a huge amount of confidence to the players or opportunity to develop solid combinations. Sometimes indecision is worse than wrong decision.

If you look at the storm or dragons they are teams where everyone knows their role and what is expected of them in a position and so although they aren't world beaters they get the job done.

So rather than a specific line up I woul like to see Furner sit down with each player and tell them what their role is for the season. E.g to buttriss, you will be the starting hooker for the season and we won't be carrying another hooker on the bench so I need you to be fit for 80 minutes or to waddell. You are he back up hooker and will be the first choice if buttriss is injured.

Competition for places is necessary but I think the final decisions need to be made before the start of the season and before the trials so the top team know where ey are playing and what is expected of them barring injuries.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Dugan
Robinson
Croker
Vidot
Ferguson
Campese
Orford
Tilse
Buttriss
Shillington
Picker
Harrison
Fensom (c)

Papalli
Learoyd lahrs
White
McCrone/Williams

This depends on whether orfors is at the club or not.

As for no mataora, I've been more impressed with papalli, although I don't think mataora has had as much gametime in first grade.

Benchies

Massey
Mataora
Picker
Kennedy
Waddell
Mcillwrick
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

No Thompson Victor?
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

After watching that embarrassment against th e Titans, I've changed my mind about my original choices. Shillo is not a starting prop. A bloke who turns his head away from the ball as it is coming down and makes the same mistakes over and over again should not be in the Rnd 1 team either. So, the edited version:

1. Dugan
2. Vidot (back in his preferred position on the right wing)
3. Croker
4. Thompson
5. Robinson
6. Campese (C)
7. McCrone (I doubt Orford will be back and Williams will enjoy not having the week to week pressure of 1st grade
so that he can concentrate on developing his game and confidence).
8. White
9. Buttriss
10. Tilse
11. Papalii (if he makes NZ's Four Nations team, I expect the confidence and experience he gets from it to see him make
the starting 13)
12. Harrison
13. Fensom (Vice Captain)

14. Mick Picker assuming Furner sticks with his hooker rotation tactic, plus he provides cover for the halves
15. Learoyd-Lahrs (a genuine impact player off the bench)
16. Thurling (provides experience off the bench and can cover all of the forward roles bar hooker)
17. Shillington
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Re: Re: Raiders Team Round 1 2012

Post by VictorTheViking »

Green_Hammock wrote:No Thompson Victor?
I don't see what he adds to the side in the centres tbh, and I don't know where else to put him
Aero
Laurie Daley

Re: Re: Raiders Team Round 1 2012

Post by Aero »

VictorTheViking wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:No Thompson Victor?
I don't see what he adds to the side in the centres tbh, and I don't know where else to put him
I hope he means troy.. Coz at least he makes us laugh off the field.. Might be a nice balance to a team who seems to be a laughing stock on the field...
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
RaiderSpark
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

1.Young Buck
2.T.I.
3.Nas
4.The Game
5.Eminem