Through green eyes: Time for reflection on the future

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Through green eyes: Time for reflection on the future

Post by greeneyed »

Here's a new feature for The Greenhouse, and hopefully it's yet another thing that maintains our place as the Number 1 Canberra Raiders Supporters website!

The idea of "Through green eyes" is to give people the opportunity to write their own feature articles for the site. I'll be aiming to do one each week at least, and we'd love to have others step forward and write about their footy team.

If you'd like to be a contributor please send one of the administrators a PM.

Here's my first attempt... and all comments welcome as usual!

Time for reflection on the future of the squad

If it’s Tuesday, it must be team announcement day.

But no, not this week, with the Canberra Raiders benefiting from the bye.

It will be a much needed break from the difficulties of the first term of the season – one which saw the Raiders match a record losing streak of eight games, a losing streak not seen since 1985-86 and one never seen in a single season.

With two stirring wins in the past two weeks, however, the players departed for a break with some optimism and hope of clawing back the season. A top eight position, though extremely difficult to secure, is still a real possibility.

But while the players are taking a break, it is not likely that the coaches and management will be quite so lucky. This is the time that the club has said that they will be sitting down and thinking about the future of the squad and their retention and recruitment strategies for 2012 and beyond.

The Raiders have already announced some high profile re-signings this year – New Zealand representative Bronson Harrison (end 2014) and Australian prop Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (end 2014). Up and coming half back Sam Williams has also been retained until the end of 2013, along with young forward Mark Nicholls and second rower Joe Picker.

It has been reported the club is close to re-signing international prop David Shillington – still on contract until end 2012 – until the end of 2015, but an official announcement has yet to emerge.

It’s all quiet on further extending the contract of Josh Dugan as well. Earlier in the year, it was reported the Raiders were seeking to extend the NSW Origin fullback for one more season, until the end of 2013. But the rumours of interest from the Sydney Roosters in securing the young superstar have now again re-emerged.

Despite all that action, there’s still a fair list of Canberra Raiders players whose contracts expire in 2011 – including Josh Miller, Glen Buttriss, Danny Galea and David Milne. The choices the club makes now will have an important impact on how the squad will shape up in the years to come.

Josh Miller is an old stager with the Raiders, an old fashioned hard nut. He has twice been the winner of the club Player of the Year award. He’s the sort of player the other players in the team love. He works hard at training and on the field, and always busts a gut in everything he does. But time is advancing for Miller, and there’s a question as to whether another contract is there for a player who will be 30 years old by the time season 2012 comes around.

The Raiders have struggled at dummy half, so much so that lock Alan Tongue is first pick to start at hooker. Glen Buttriss was retained when Ryan Hinchcliffe signed with the Melbourne Storm, but neither he, nor Travis Waddell, has quite made the hooker spot his own. Buttriss has struggled with the fitness needed to be an 80 minute hooker, and with Travis Waddell on the books until 2012, some difficult choices face the club. It seems likely that promising under 20s hooker Matt McIlwrick will be a player the club will give some priority to retaining.

Danny Galea has spent most of his time with the Canberra Raiders at affiliate club Souths Logan, but when he has come into firsts, he’s done a solid job. He helped give the team some good extra mobility in the win over the Storm, but injury cruelly ruled him out the next week, giving Joe Picker his spot back in the second row. It remains to be seen if he’s done enough to retain a place in the squad, but he would be a good depth signing.

Fullback David Milne has perhaps played his last NRL match with the Raiders. He struggled early in the season while Josh Dugan was injured, and has since been a regular for Souths Logan. Since coming back from a debilitating case of osteitis pubis, his kick returns have not had the same pace and he’s not done well under the high ball. Bulldogs recruit and under 20s fullback, Nathan Massey, has been preferred in the last two matches as a stand in for Dugan – a sign for the future.

Whether there is space in the cap for new recruits will depend on some very difficult decisions for the club. One conundrum is the form of Matt Orford. Orford’s wealth of experience is valuable to the club, but some press reports suggest that he may not see out the second year of his two year deal. If that happens, some cap space might be freed to help fill one of the priority positions – hooker.

Perhaps more importantly, it could create room to extend the priority players on the very long list of those who have deals expiring in 2012.

Not knowing how much the salary cap might expand once a new TV deal is in place for the NRL is a particular challenge in signing any of those players to a long term deal.

Whatever happens, being a fly on the wall at Raiders HQ in the next couple of months will be fascinating.

PLAYERS OFF CONTRACT

Mark Appleton
Glen Buttriss
Danny Galea
Jarrad Kennedy
Matt McIlwrick
Josh Miller
David Milne
Nick Skinner

Jarrod Croker
Josh Dugan
Blake Ferguson
Mark Ioane
Drury Low
Nathan Massey
Sam Mataora
Josh McCrone
Matt Orford
Mick Picker
Reece Robinson
David Shillington
James Stuart
Alan Tongue
Daniel Vidot
Travis Waddell
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Re: Through green eyes

Post by LP Raider »

Great read GE well done mate.
WorkChoice
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Through green eyes

Post by -GD- »

Good read GE
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Stone Cold

Post by Raider Crusader »

Didnt Shillo sign a 3 year extension a couple of weeks back?
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Ive heard that McIllwrick is settled until the end of next year
Great read otherwise

Interesting to note some the talent off contract at the end of 2012. If we're as successful as we'd want to be, thats going to be a tough list to try and whittle down, even with SC increases
-GD-
Don Furner

Through green eyes

Post by -GD- »

Yeah McIlwrick is an interesting one. Ben said in the Ask a Raider thread 2011 but Don said on 666 it was 2012.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Through green eyes

Post by Rick »

Great article GE, I may give this a crack.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

If you had to make the call now, come 2012

Jarrod Croker - Keep
Josh Dugan - Keep
Blake Ferguson - Keep
Mark Ioane - Keep
Drury Low - Keep if we lose one of Croker/Vidot/Fergo/Low, otherwise cut
Nathan Massey - Keep if dugan leaves, otherwise, i think he'd go elsewhere to get an oppertunity, if we kept Dugan, but lost two of our other backs, id keep him in a heart beat and playing him on the wing.
Sam Mataora - Keep: Top forward priority
Josh McCrone: Time to move on, with Williams/Campo
Matt Orford: Wont be here by then
Mick Picker: Cut
Reece Robinson: Keep, i like him. A lot.
David Shillington: Keep
James Stuart: Cut. I like him, he's solid but we're going to be stocked big time in the backs
Alan Tongue: Retirement
Daniel Vidot: Keep.
Travis Waddell: Cut.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good summary. I hope the Canberra Times suitably references the greenhouse and doesn't plagiarise the whole article. ;)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On McIlwrick, Don Furner said he's signed to end 2012, but in Ask the Raiders subsequently, it was confirmed he's signed to end 2011. I guess we'll see.

On Shillington, I am yet to see an official announcement, but again, my contracted players thread might not have been properly updated!
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Through green eyes

Post by Rick »

Nick wrote:If you had to make the call now, come 2012

Jarrod Croker - Keep
Josh Dugan - Keep
Blake Ferguson - Keep
Mark Ioane - Keep
Nathan Massey - Keep if dugan leaves, otherwise, i think he'd go elsewhere to get an oppertunity, if we kept Dugan, but lost two of our other backs, id keep him in a heart beat and playing him on the wing.
James Stuart: Cut. I like him, he's solid but we're going to be stocked big time in the backs
Agree 100%
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Shillo definately resigned.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CJ42 wrote:Shillo definately resigned.
Pretty sure I've not seen an official announcement of a re-signing CJ.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Nice new feature GE.

The player situation is another reason the Commission needs to be put in place sooner rather than later. If they introduce guidelines that Clubs will have 30 players under the Cap then a number of extra players can be kept on a minimum salary until the 'hopefully' stronger financial TV rights deal comes along.

I disagree on the question of fitness of Buttsy. He proved in two Finals matches last year that he can play more than 70 minutes very successfully. There is a difference between not being allowed to play long minutes and not being capable of playing long minutes as he did in the heat in Rd1 this year and in crucial pressure games last year.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Rick wrote:

Jarrod Croker - Keep
Josh Dugan - Keep
Blake Ferguson - Keep
Mark Ioane - Keep
Agree 100%
Spot on Nick. It will be a sad day when Tonguey runs out on Canberra Stadium for the last time.
In Ricky We Trust
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

greeneyed wrote:
CJ42 wrote:Shillo definately resigned.
Pretty sure I've not seen an official announcement of a re-signing CJ.
actually maybe i am tripping out, did TLL re-sign a few weeks back?
and lol @ me typing shillo resigned... hopefully he doesnt do that!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I know Croker will definitely be re-signed, but I question if he should be an automatic. Hasn't progressed much in his time in FG, isn't a real threat out wide and that left hand side has been weak on offense and defence all year. If we had a strike left hand centre lined up I'd let him go, I don't see all that much potential and we will have to make the tough choices on some players.
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Post by Stuat »

Great read GE. Agree with Nick' assessment of the off-contracts 2012 list
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Nice write up boss.

I think the club has again made a wrong choice when it comes to retaining hookers. Years ago we let Luke Priddis go for Simon Woolford, and then we let Hinchy go for Glen Buttriss.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The problem with keep / cut lists is that they assume a perfect world. We are going to have to lose a couple of our better players over the next few years, every team does.
-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

Don Furner was just on 666 with Tim Gavel

* Players are away this week, will sit down with coaches on Friday to talk about contracts
* We wont be able to fit everyone in
* Will sit down with the players next week after talking to coaches.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-GD- wrote:Don Furner was just on 666 with Tim Gavel

* Players are away this week, will sit down with coaches on Friday to talk about contracts
Bye Bye David Milne.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
semaj97
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Blake Ferguson

Post by semaj97 »

Jarrod Croker - Keep
Josh Dugan - Keep
Blake Ferguson - Keep
Mark Ioane - Keep
you might be getting josh Mcrone confused with matt orford or you havnt seen how hes been playing the last few games
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Through green eyes

Post by Captain Punish »

dubby wrote:
-GD- wrote:Don Furner was just on 666 with Tim Gavel

Bye Bye David Milne.
Shhhh...
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"