Halves on the market 2011

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bleeding_green
Peter Jackson

Halves on the market 2011

Post by bleeding_green »

I have been thinking bout all the posting that has been going on bout our halves and i think as a football team you must have more than 1 option at hand for the building of a clubs future....

So i sourced some off contract halves that are currently on the market and wanted to know how people rate these players compared to herbert/Mcrone...... My point is if they dont perform this year, they shouldnt get another year IMO....

Other halves off-contract include Parramatta's Kris Keating, Dragons captain Ben Hornby, Cronulla veteran Trent Barrett (too old but just added), Newcastle's Scott Dureau and North Queensland's Grant Rovelli.

Soward has re-signed, and thurston is a long shot...

I think this is the frame of mind the club must have inorder to create a successful team.... Also Mcrone/Herbert are professionals and should step up and fill their positions, if their incapable then move on....
RICKY'S RE-BUILD BEGINS
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Halves on the market 2011

Post by Northern Raider »

Difficult to see the Eels letting Keating go and same with Hornby at the Dragons. Barrett's career is tailing off and he's already rejected the Raiders once when we offered big $$ so no point pursuing him again. Rovelli is a Townsville boy and will be hard to draw away if he's performing well. Pretty much leaves Dureau as the only viable option. I'd like to be certain he's a significant upgrade on what we currently have before making any moves there.

Who's available from ESL?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bleeding_green
Peter Jackson

Post by bleeding_green »

Yeah i was thinking Keating would be a great buy, and noe that mortimer is re-signed than maybe we may get his signature if we put a good offer....

why this is important to think about now is that if our halves dont perform we need to make the move by mid-season not at the end as the raiders are soo prone to doing.. I dont doubt our halves talent i just doubt their ability to perform at their best weak in weak out compared to a Keating type player...

As ESL goes i havent looked and its a lil late so i will update that tommorrow if people havent uploaded info by then :)
RICKY'S RE-BUILD BEGINS
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

2 halves that'll be on the market for 2011.....

McCrone and Herbert?
:lol:
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dureau is handy, I think he'd be a good buy. He actually signed to the Warriors then got out of that deal when Seymour signed with them to stay at Newc once Smith went.
Edrick The Entertainer
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Dereau! As I said in another thread, I think the acquisition would be a realistic one as he continues to fight over the number 7 with Mullen.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

not much to choose from is there?

Keating goes alright but I'd rather pass on all of them TBH.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Recent articles say that Parra is trying to keep Keating..

lol what about throwing a lifeline to Kimmorley for a year to help out which ever young halfback we keep (mccrone, herbert, picker)?
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Could we perhaps see what 2010 holds first? Even if for just a few rounds :?:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Aero wrote:Recent articles say that Parra is trying to keep Keating..

lol what about throwing a lifeline to Kimmorley for a year to help out which ever young halfback we keep (mccrone, herbert, picker)?
kimmorley is contracted for 2011 i think.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

papabear wrote:

according to this article his contract expires at the end of this year
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticl ... fault.aspx
Kimmorley would have to be the best available option if we were looking for an organising type halfback(other than Thurston), he would give us great direction. though he seems pretty intent on sticking with the dogs, we would have to hope his form was rubbish for the first couple of months so the Dogs didn't want him.

There are a few young halves that may be available at the end of this year e.g. Ben Hunt, Dale Cherry-Evans, Hodgkinson, Maloney, Keating, Moltzen etc but imo we need an experienced player to direct us around the park if we hope to win a premiership in the next couple of years.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Parra may be trying to keep Keating but they've just spent big on Mortimer and no doubt they'd rather up Mateo's contract to keep him too.

I reckon a club in need of a halfback could trump Parra for Kris Keating, I rate him.

The other two in that list I'd love are Dureau (will probably be cheap as it seems Stone wants to play Mullen and Gidley in the halves with McDonnell or MacDougall at fullback) and Hornby, but I can't see Hornby playing NRL for anyone other than the Dragons.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

julian87 wrote:Parra may be trying to keep Keating but they've just spent big on Mortimer and no doubt they'd rather up Mateo's contract to keep him too.

I reckon a club in need of a halfback could trump Parra for Kris Keating, I rate him.

The other two in that list I'd love are Dureau (will probably be cheap as it seems Stone wants to play Mullen and Gidley in the halves with McDonnell or MacDougall at fullback) and Hornby, but I can't see Hornby playing NRL for anyone other than the Dragons.
they're planning on releasing Inu to free up the salary cap.. i dont think Inu would be small money, so I'm guessing they're plannin on bumping up Keating's packet with that.. Mortimer only signed for a 2 year, $500,000 deal (so $250k a season?)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5838387255
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Aero wrote:
julian87 wrote:Parra may be trying to keep Keating but they've just spent big on Mortimer and no doubt they'd rather up Mateo's contract to keep him too.

they're planning on releasing Inu to free up the salary cap.. i dont think Inu would be small money, so I'm guessing they're plannin on bumping up Keating's packet with that.. Mortimer only signed for a 2 year, $500,000 deal (so $250k a season?)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5838387255
I realise all of this but that's the Tele.

They may have some money, but they would not have heaps to offer. Look at their squad and who they would have upgraded recently.

I'd rather Dureau at this point but I'm still hoping our halves pull somehting out of the bag.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

julian87 wrote:
I'd rather Dureau at this point but I'm still hoping our halves pull somehting out of the bag.
I'm with you there
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Inu is on $350k currently and Parra want that paid out to release him for the 2010 season - which fell through with the Warriors.

He's being shopped around at $275k for 2011.

To be honest, I'd like to see us offer $250k - I doubt we'll get him, but it'd be acknowledgment from our boys in charge that we lack depth in our backline... same reason we're in trouble right now prior to round 1.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

julian87 wrote: I realise all of this but that's the Tele.
They're going to backload Keating off the money freed up by Cayless - who is on $450k this year as his contract was backloaded when he signed it. ($450k for Cayless is insane to me...)
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I'm not a big fan of Kris Keating - would prefer Scott Dureau but yeh let's wait and see how our current halves go in 2010
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

nacho wrote:.

To be honest, I'd like to see us offer $250k - I doubt we'll get him, but it'd be acknowledgment from our boys in charge that we lack depth in our backline... same reason we're in trouble right now prior to round 1.

Weve got 3 of our top backline out injured, any clubs depth would struggle with that, Broncos have only lost 1 and their depth is being tested
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

kiwi raider wrote:
papabear wrote:

according to this article his contract expires at the end of this year
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticl ... fault.aspx
Kimmorley would have to be the best available option if we were looking for an organising type halfback(other than Thurston), he would give us great direction. though he seems pretty intent on sticking with the dogs, we would have to hope his form was rubbish for the first couple of months so the Dogs didn't want him.

There are a few young halves that may be available at the end of this year e.g. Ben Hunt, Dale Cherry-Evans, Hodgkinson, Maloney, Keating, Moltzen etc but imo we need an experienced player to direct us around the park if we hope to win a premiership in the next couple of years.
He's an intriguing prospect. No cert to secure a 1st grade spot at the Sea Eagles so could be available. Better chance of unearthing a new prospect rather than getting into bidding wars for established players.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

hmm is mick picker a halfback or 5/8th?

Coz depending on that and his potential.. maybe our best choice is an older mentor for him (thats if we dont stick with either herbert or mccrone)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Aero wrote:hmm is mick picker a halfback or 5/8th?

Coz depending on that and his potential.. maybe our best choice is an older mentor for him (thats if we dont stick with either herbert or mccrone)
he's a bit like herb and mccrone as they are all 5/8's that play halfback when needed

i'm not sure hes played much if any 7 in juniors?
fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

I know this is an open forum and people can write whatever they want but some of this stuff is hilarious! Youve got 2 halfbacks, both under 24 yo, they have played less than 40 FG games between them and you have decided they are no good? Scott Deareu, Kris Keating, are you for real?? are they really that much better? Have they steered their teams to a premiership? Are they rep players?
I know there were some frustrating games last year where we lost and the halves struggled but what about the games we did win and herb/mccrone were playing? The melbourne, brisbane, titans and st george wins should be enough proof that these two deserve a chance.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Raider 85 wrote:Dereau! As I said in another thread, I think the acquisition would be a realistic one as he continues to fight over the number 7 with Mullen.
are you kidding yourself? the guy is a grade a nuffie, no better than Herbert or McCrone
Keating? Same deal guys... come on, we're after someone who could possibly be an upgrade

I've said it 1000 times... the Broncos have Lockyer, Ben Hunt, Tim Smith and Peter Wallace on deals right now... 4 doesnt go into two... at least 2 of them will go elsewhere looking for a chance... Hunt and Wallace are my tips... in which case either would be good

Beau Henry is another i'd keep my eye on. He's as talented as they come, if a young bloke we're after, he might be keen to go somewhere where he can get a shot. Which doesnt look like the Dragons
Keep one of McCrone or Herbert end of this year, and take one of Brisbane's halves. Bang, problem solved... Unless the half we take is Ben Hunt, in which case its yet to be proven if he's FG standard yet
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Timmy smith remind's me of Toddy me ol mate,I'll have a Timmy please.
This place is woke.
aussie1st
David Furner

Post by aussie1st »

Dureau has more organizational capabilities than any of our halves. Other than that Ben Hunt looks a real talent, would be surprised if the Broncos let him go but if they did we should definitely take him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Question wrote:Timmy smith remind's me of Toddy me ol mate,I'll have a Timmy please.
The beer and tats part maybe. On the field they are polar opposites in style.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Nick wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:Dereau! As I said in another thread, I think the acquisition would be a realistic one as he continues to fight over the number 7 with Mullen.
are you kidding yourself? the guy is a grade a nuffie, no better than Herbert or McCrone
Keating? Same deal guys... come on, we're after someone who could possibly be an upgrade

I've said it 1000 times... the Broncos have Lockyer, Ben Hunt, Tim Smith and Peter Wallace on deals right now... 4 doesnt go into two... at least 2 of them will go elsewhere looking for a chance... Hunt and Wallace are my tips... in which case either would be good

Beau Henry is another i'd keep my eye on. He's as talented as they come, if a young bloke we're after, he might be keen to go somewhere where he can get a shot. Which doesnt look like the Dragons
Keep one of McCrone or Herbert end of this year, and take one of Brisbane's halves. Bang, problem solved... Unless the half we take is Ben Hunt, in which case its yet to be proven if he's FG standard yet
Sorry, I stopped reading your post when you said Dureau is no better than McCrone or Herbert. I think we both know who is really kidding themselves with comments like that.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

I would have been happy had management made a play for Tim Smith for this year..

Oh well.. Lets just hope Sherbert gives half decent ball to Campo and the forwards..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Inactive
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JT

Post by Inactive »

I rate herbert n mcrone above any of that lot tbh.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

kiwijim wrote:I rate herbert n mcrone above any of that lot tbh.
Do you also talk just for the sake of talking? :hmmm
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

thickos wrote:Could we perhaps see what 2010 holds first? Even if for just a few rounds :?:
This ^
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I noticed Scott Dureau last year playing for Newcastle and maybe he just had one of those games where everything went right, but he absolutely tore it up. I could not believe it a couple of weeks later when he was dropped. At that time Brian Smith mentioned that he had an abundance of halves, and Dureau had just been beaten out of 1st grade by Mullen and ??

But maybe he is just a grade player - I dunno for sure. I guess we see how we go this year with McCrone and Herbert. If they fail to deliver then probably throw up to or around $200K at Dureau.

Otherwise definitely look at Ben Hunt and Beau Henry - but they're both really young.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The current halves should be given an opportunity to prove themselves, before we start talking about things like this. The alternatives don't look any stronger than Herbert and McCrone.
94legends
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: brad clyde

Post by 94legends »

dureau and any other halfback in the nrl are better than herbert and mccrone