NRL.com Season Preview: Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

NRL.com Season Preview: Canberra Raiders

Post by Jake »

I know everybody is sick of these, but I think this is the best assesment of our team thus far. And, they have us finishing 6th! :o (Albeit with a fit Joel Monaghan). Anyways...

Season Preview: Canberra Raiders

PERENNIAL wooden spoon candidates Canberra Raiders will go into 2010 as they do each season: knowing they’re under-rated and out-of-sight, out-of-mind. It’s how they like it. Indeed they thrive upon it. Under-rated underdogs usually do.

Yet this well-coached, disciplined football team will surprise plenty not just at home but on the road. They do it every year. Canberra Stadium has long been a graveyard for visiting teams, and not just when the great Green Machines of the late ’80s and ’90s were dusting all-and-sundry. Simply, Canberra on a cold Friday night is not a place teams like to play. It can be freezing cold, the local fans are as parochial as any in rugby league, and opposition fans often don’t make the trip. Taking two points out of Canberra is no misere.

Yet cast an eye over the best 17 Canberra can trot out and it’s obvious they’ll need to keep them all fit. Their best players are quality – but their depth is shallower than Lake George.

Still, that’s not too different for most NRL clubs. And if you get healthy odds about Canberra finishing top-eight? Take ’em. (That is, if you’re confident they can get along adequately without strike weapon Joel Monaghan for the opening month or so of the premiership. Ouch, that’s gotta hurt.)

Their Keys To Success… The Raiders’ forward pack could be extras in a re-make of ‘Land of the Giants’. These are as big as boppers get. Prop forwards Dane Tilse, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington cart the ball into the meat of the defence and bend it pretty effectively. They’re mobile and take some stopping. The ball is then sent to ball-playing forwards like Trevor Thurling and Bronson Harrison who try the same out wide. It’s simple stuff; but brutally effective.

In the backs Canberra don’t have a halfback who’ll run the whole show like Matt Orford did at Manly or Brett Kimmorley has done everywhere else. But in Marc Herbert they’ve got a young ball-player who doesn’t make mistakes. Now 23 and in his third year of first grade, Herbert plays smart, controlled rugby league – the perfect foil for his more exuberant halves partner Terry Campese. Indeed they form a pretty good combination; both capable of long, driving 40-20s; both capable of slick service to the outside backs.

But it’s Campese who gives the Raiders an X-factor. Herbert’s job will be to send good ball to Campo, who’ll do whatever it is he feels like: run, pass, kick – the guy has a fine bag of tricks.

And if boom fullback Josh Dugan – who had a brilliant debut season in 2009 – can learn to run the right angles around Campese’s sniping and Joel Monaghan’s intelligent lines, then the Raiders will form a potent back division.

Combine that with solid defence – Raiders fans know they’ll get 80 minutes from Alan Tongue, for example – and the discipline required to hang onto the ball and restrict penalties, and Canberra will again surprise in 2010.

Expect Plenty From… Josh Dugan drew parallels with Gary Belcher in his boom debut season but the 19-year-old from Tuggeranong has shades of – gasp – Darren Lockyer about him. He’s fast, long-legged and lithe, has an eye for a hole and runs with the grace of the 400-metre runner.

And he’s tough: check out YouTube for his tackle that barrelled a rampaging Dave Taylor into touch in Round 26. Second-year syndrome has befallen plenty of players, as have comparisons with champions (sorry, Josh). But the kid can play. Just watch him.

They’re Really Going To Miss… Phil Graham, now at the Roosters. An electric runner and finisher, Graham put the icing on plenty of Canberra cakes.

Time To Stand Up… Trevor Thurling spent a fair chunk of 2009 off the field following injury and a drink-driving charge after showing signs of being a very good, free-running back-row forward. Thurling reminds Raiders fans a little of David Furner in his prime and if the 25-year-old can get out of the blocks running in 2010 he’ll remind Country Origin selectors that he has a lot of game.

Coach Watch… There’s no-one at Canberra more pleased than David Furner that his team rarely enjoys the limelight. Furner likes to go about his business without fuss. Now in his second season as first-grade coach Furner probably has this year and even the next one to get his side humming.

He’s a favourite son and there’s patience in the capital based on the premise that young backs need to grow behind giant forwards. Furner’s job is safe in 2010 and (probably) 2011. After that, he’s on his own.

They’re All The Better For… Danny Galea is a nice addition to the Canberra squad. After beginning his career with Penrith in 2002 as an 18-year-old (debuting against Andrew Johns) Galea had 34 first-grade games with Wests Tigers. He’s now a hugely experienced 26-year-old centre and should be into his prime. A good buy.

Predicted Finish… With Joel Monaghan on the paddock all year we were prepared to say as high as sixth. But with his injury comes uncertainty; they can’t afford any loose links in their premiership chain. Or a slow start.

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticl ... fault.aspx
Belconnens finest
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: troy thompson

Re: Season Preview: Canberra Raiders

Post by Belconnens finest »

clearly whoever wrote that hasnt seen Marc Herbert play all that much. Doesnt make mistakes??? ha!!!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: NRL.com Season Preview: Canberra Raiders

Post by dubby »

Well written article.

I hope it's prediction comes true!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Belconnens finest wrote:clearly whoever wrote that hasnt seen Marc Herbert play all that much. Doesnt make mistakes??? ha!!!
Relatively speaking Herb is quite 'safe'. For all the criticism he cops none of it because of drop balls or kicks out on the full. Trouble is a safe option is not good when Campo is off his game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Lot of pressure on Dugan this year, all eyes are on him now.
Belconnens finest
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: troy thompson

Post by Belconnens finest »

Northern Raider wrote:
Belconnens finest wrote:clearly whoever wrote that hasnt seen Marc Herbert play all that much. Doesnt make mistakes??? ha!!!
Relatively speaking Herb is quite 'safe'. For all the criticism he cops none of it because of drop balls or kicks out on the full. Trouble is a safe option is not good when Campo is off his game.
yeah I see what ya sayin. im gonna give Herbert a go this season. I was at the tigers game last year at canberra stadium and some of the abuse he copped that day mostly off our own supposed 'fans' was disgraceful. Poor bugger looked like he was going to burst into tears at one point. We all know he's no he's no Ricky Stuart but at least he has a dig. We just need to get behind whoever Furnsy selects.
daraider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by daraider »

Herbert main problem is just being able to read plays and being able to execute was is needed at the time especially under pressure.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Canberra on a cold Friday night? ... We have Friday night games here now? WHAT!?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

B_Hammock wrote:Canberra on a cold Friday night? ... We have Friday night games here now? WHAT!?
Yeah I was having a laugh at that
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

sounds about right.. though that's quite a spin on Herb though... yeah he's safe.. but currently not showing enough creativity to take the pressure off campo

i really do think the best games that herb and mccrone's played for us have been when they were paired up in the halves (think it was against the bunnies around SOO1)

but on the whole.. i was kinda surprised that the Preview was kinda positive
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I can't agree with his assertion about our lack of depth, at least up front. We have great depth for front and back rowers and although it would be nice to have guys like TLL lining up each week we still have Fensom, Thurls, Picker, and young guys like Skinner, Kennedy, Joyce and Mataora who have the potential to be week in week out first graders.

We also have Low, Stuart and Ward who are perhaps a few solid hit outs with SL away from pushing for a FG spot. Personally I would love to see Ward make his FG debut early this season.

Also, who knows who will come through this year. Young Hodge was a stand-out last yr. At just 17 he was one of our best in the u20's and is definately another potential FG Full back or winger.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Ahhhhhhh more Herb bashing from the GH faithful.

How refreshing.
#BoneMcCrone
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Even though I'd pick McCrone over Herbet, and even though Herbet has caused me to shout expletives on numerous occassions, I refuse to bash him.
Belconnens finest wrote: I was at the tigers game last year at canberra stadium and some of the abuse he copped that day mostly off our own supposed 'fans' was disgraceful. Poor bugger looked like he was going to burst into tears at one point. We all know he's no he's no Ricky Stuart but at least he has a dig. We just need to get behind whoever Furnsy selects.
I noticed that as well, poor bugger was absolutely shattered and disappointed in himself. He puts his heart into it, he just lacks the confidence.

IF he is Furner's first-choice Half, which I suspect he will be, I hope he grabs the opportunity with both hands and stands up for the team, he has it in him, just look at the back end of 2008.

Until he starts to play without passion or effort, I support him 100%. He's a Raider.
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Jake09 wrote:Even though I'd pick McCrone over Herbet, and even though Herbet has caused me to shout expletives on numerous occassions, I refuse to bash him.
Belconnens finest wrote: I was at the tigers game last year at canberra stadium and some of the abuse he copped that day mostly off our own supposed 'fans' was disgraceful. Poor bugger looked like he was going to burst into tears at one point. We all know he's no he's no Ricky Stuart but at least he has a dig. We just need to get behind whoever Furnsy selects.
I noticed that as well, poor bugger was absolutely shattered and disappointed in himself. He puts his heart into it, he just lacks the confidence.

IF he is Furner's first-choice Half, which I suspect he will be, I hope he grabs the opportunity with both hands and stands up for the team, he has it in him, just look at the back end of 2008.

Until he starts to play without passion or effort, I support him 100%. He's a Raider.
Well said by both of you. :)

Brett Cops it shocking on here at times, but one thing you can't accuse him of is not caring/trying.. End of a day all you can of a player is that they give it their all when they step onto the field.

As for Herby, he will bounce back.. At the start of last year we had a forward pack that was weakened by injury, that makes it harder for any half back, let alone one that had played <10 NRL games at that stage..

FWIW I don't think Herbert has had that many 'shocking' games.. Anyway halfback in our side is going to be the 2nd play maker when Campo is there.

Anyway whoever is named in the #7 tomorrow deserves full support from their fans.
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Post by Stuat »

Sasha wrote:
Jake09 wrote:Even though I'd pick McCrone over Herbet, and even though Herbet has caused me to shout expletives on numerous occassions, I refuse to bash him.

Well said by both of you. :)

Brett Cops it shocking on here at times, but one thing you can't accuse him of is not caring/trying.. End of a day all you can of a player is that they give it their all when they step onto the field.

As for Herby, he will bounce back.. At the start of last year we had a forward pack that was weakened by injury, that makes it harder for any half back, let alone one that had played <10 NRL games at that stage..

FWIW I don't think Herbert has had that many 'shocking' games.. Anyway halfback in our side is going to be the 2nd play maker when Campo is there.

Anyway whoever is named in the #7 tomorrow deserves full support from their fans.
Sensible comments about the halfback situation :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Spot on.

Furner is showing faith in the Kid and lets be honest Furner knows more about the potential of him then 99.9% of the fans do. For me the fans should show faith in Furner's ability to coach the side, when the fans start supporting Furners decision to play Herb then perhaps that confidence will show through on the field.

Personally I would run with McCrone, only because with our current squad his running with the ball might serve us better. However I am not the coach and I have no idea what the gameplan is, just like most people on the forum. So if Furner decides Herb is better suited to play the Penrith game, based on gameplan and form then I support it 100% and hope we get the results come Saturday.
Inactive
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JT

Post by Inactive »

Article sounds good to me, GO THE RAIDERS.
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by GreenSoul »

Suprisingly positive article. I'd disagree about our depth though. I think ours is as good, if not better, than most other clubs.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

GreenSoul wrote:Suprisingly positive article. I'd disagree about our depth though. I think ours is as good, if not better, than most other clubs.
Na, i agree with the article. Our depth at the moment is ****. the young players that would have to step up if we lost monas, Campo and AT wouldnt have a clue against some of more quality sides in the comp.

give them a year or so, and yes it will be fine, but at the moment no it isnt very good at all.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher

Post by GreenSoul »

Again, I disagree.

We have lost Monnas, but I think we'll cover him alright. Take into account that in a few weeks he, Carney and Milne could all be back fighting for postions and I'd say we've actually got very good backline depth.

Tongue? Love the bloke, but we've put in some of our best performances when he was absent. There's an argument that he actually stifles our attack in his current role, and while I want him there, I think he's very easy to cover.

Campo, well sure, any team will have problems if they lose their main playmaker, but the way Herb and McCrone played last year in the game against souths, I reckon we'd still go alright. Better than most teams without their main playmaker in fact.

And we have fantastic depth in our forwards.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GreenSoul wrote:Suprisingly positive article.
Is it that surprising that the NRL gives all the teams a positive write up on their own page? What would you think if the competition's official website told you "your team sucks **** and don't bother watching this year kids"?

I am assuming they have given all the teams a pretty rosy write up...
Byrnesy.
Terry Campese

Post by Byrnesy. »

Season Preview: Raiders
Bigpond Sport (Video)

Terry Campese interview with John Gibbs.

http://bigpondvideo.com/nrl/247140
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher

Post by GreenSoul »

gangrenous wrote:
GreenSoul wrote:Suprisingly positive article.
Is it that surprising that the NRL gives all the teams a positive write up on their own page?

Well no, good point. I'd just finished reading all the negative predictions elsewhere though, and they DID tip us to finish 6th, so I guess they've tipped others to go poorly.
coogee50
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Matt Bowen

Post by coogee50 »

Gday dudes - Matt here, I'm the journo wrote that Raiders season preview piece, was just Googling about and came across your site, and thought I'd join up and add my two bob, being a Raiders supporter, one-time Canberran, and bludger, etc.

So - my two bob:

My bad about the Friday night game thing ... agreed. I was actually going back to the 90s when I lived down there and they'd play the Broncos on a Friday night and just after half-time frost would start creeping onto the ground like creeping white death, and that was enough for the Brisbane boys, star team or not, they wanted home to the sub-tropics. Canberra/Bruce has long been a graveyard, same as it's always been for the Brumbies. They should play every game at night as late as possible. Play at 3am in July, see how the North Queensland Cowboys go then.

Depth? Can't agree the Canberra Raiders have depth.

Herbert? Solid. Wrote "doesn't make mistakes" but that was more in context with other, flashier halfbacks. He's sort of a precision halfback, if that makes sense. Which is why I reckon he's a good foil for Campo who's got the bag of tricks. You get one guy who pops it nicely for the forwards and drives the team about. The other does the Jarryd Hayne-esque Jack-in-the-box stuff. Get Dugan running around behind them and that's a potentially potent back division. Do like the boy Vidot, also, and Joel Monaghan will give them more starch in defence.

But depth? No sirree bob.

Reason you guys were surprised about the “positive” message of the piece (though how many of you are rushing out to Centrebet to get on Raiders sixth?) is that up here in Sydney Town, where the journos all live and work, is that Canberra is out-of-sight, out-of-mind. Imagine how the Warriors feel. But the thing about it, you can use it to your advantage. Every year I take a carton of beer off the Editor of Big League magazine about the Raiders. One year he reckoned they’d be 15th or 16th. He’s betting a carton of Coopers Pale that this will happen. They made the 8. Another year it was Won’t make 8. They came 4th. Sydney people don’t know or understand or like Canberra much, and it comes through in their myopia and ignorance and inability to understand that in a two-horse race in front of 20,000 Canberrans rugged up to the hilt, several of them blind drunk on rum, it’s not an easy place to win a game of footy.

But depth? Canberra Raiders do not have great depth. Exhibit A: Monners.

But I didn’t write a “positive” yarn for the NRL’s website because it’s all going to be positive given it’s on the NRL’s website. I’m a freelancer and hence independent. And nothing I’ve ever writing for the NRL, critical or whatever, has ever been canned. Just tried to be honest and have an honest opinion that I reckon Canberra will make the Top-8 because half of their games they go into the game a better than even chance.

It’s the other half that’s the problem. That’s probably the more pertinent talking point about the Machine. They travel worse than shoe bombers.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

G'day Matt
:welcome:

I agree with what you wrote in your article and in your post.

Raiders have potential.. but it's just a matter of whether we'll reach that potential.

Depth.. there's some positions where we've got too many players (eg 2nd row), but we're sorely lacking depth (as well as experience) in key positions (halfback, hooker, fullback)..

Anyways.. keep up the good work :)
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
coogee50
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Matt Bowen

Post by coogee50 »

Yeah I think the forward pack stacks up against anyone. Bronson Harrison would be the most under-rated ball-playing backrower in the comp. And if Joe Picker's in the reggies that'd illustrate some depth in the forwards, as would the side still being competitive without Miler and Galea.

But the backs? I don't see it.

Giant bummer about Travis Waddell, he was starting to look very good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

coogee50 wrote:Yeah I think the forward pack stacks up against anyone. Bronson Harrison would be the most under-rated ball-playing backrower in the comp. And if Joe Picker's in the reggies that'd illustrate some depth in the forwards, as would the side still being competitive without Miler and Galea.

But the backs? I don't see it.

Giant bummer about Travis Waddell, he was starting to look very good.
Good to see you contributing to the forum! Hop on board and give us some more articles! :D