Shillington drafted into NRL All Stars

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Shillington drafted into NRL All Stars

Post by greeneyed »

Reported tonight on 2CC, that David Shillington has replaced Alan Tongue in the NRL All Stars team today, with Tongue withdrawing due to injury.
pacman
Jason Croker

Re: Shillington drafted into NRL All Stars

Post by pacman »

Great player but a pretty boring All Stars pick.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Had to be one of Shillington, Campese or Monaghan, at the very least. Those were the players shortlisted by the vote.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

the team needs him for balance.... please lord keep him injury free
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

who cares, I'd rather they play for the mighty raiders rather than these mickey mouse games
Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer »

Shillington has pretty much played every type of rep footy he can possibly play and yet most of you will agree with me that hasn't done much that is too special. He is only going to get better so imagine how many rep games he could have notched up by the time he retires.
A big thanks to Fistinz for the signature
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I hope all the Raiders boys don't get injured , in fact Id rather they don't play in this glorified trial. But since we have them there I hope they get very limited game time.

Id be suprised if Shillo was next in line , I reckon Campo would of been buyt since they needed another frontrower it was Shillo who was chosen.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Raidersrawesome wrote:I hope all the Raiders boys don't get injured , in fact Id rather they don't play in this glorified trial. But since we have them there I hope they get very limited game time.

Id be suprised if Shillo was next in line , I reckon Campo would of been buyt since they needed another frontrower it was Shillo who was chosen.

Burgess replaced Taylor and he wasn't even listed, so Bennetts choosing whoever he wants
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

they had to cover positions. so they picked who they could to get someone out of the teams who lost a player but someone who will fit into the positions of the side
THE GREEN MACHINE PODCAST - https://soundcloud.com/user-792269565
darkin
David Shillington

Post by darkin »

to take nothing away frm shillo congrats! but when i filled out my team i was reading what happened in the event that the player needs to withdraw due to injury.. it said that the player on the bench already in the team was to fill the position and the next highest voted player from that team was to replace the injured on the bench.. so explain to me again how campo missed out :? ?? WHATS THE POINT OF MAKING GUIDELINES AND RULES IF THEY DNT MATTER WEN IT COMES DOWN TO THE CRUNCH???if this team was up to bennet why didnt he just choose the **** team to start with? oh well if they dont have enuff big men, your a coach,possibly the greatest ever... make it work!! thats what u get paid to do.. i was looking forward to this match,mostly bcoz i am just looking forward to watching the greatest game on the planet again,but also bcoz our 2010 team would be on show and we cud give evry1 just a taste of what they got comin this year.. you know?? we have young talent in the indigineous team and tll and to watch our tonguey get a night to shine but now i feel like what was the use of spending 3hrs(coz thats how long it took me to pick my team lol) picking a team when there really was no use?? now i feel like i am watching the queensland side..especially coz wayne bennet is involved and the rest of that team! that just pisses me right off :rant !!! dont even get me started on greg bird :? :? :? i was going to go for the indigineous side but now :hmmm :hmmm i just dont know??? *deep breath taken* atleast the boys will be nice and fit for round 1 in penrith... I cant wait for that!!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

South Sydney foward Dave Taylor joins Greg Inglis and Alan Tongue in pulling out of All Star game

THE inaugural All Stars clash has become farcical in the space of 48 hours, with Rabbitohs colossus Dave Taylor joining the long list of stars pulling out.

Taylor was joined by Wests Tigers hard man Gareth Ellis, Storm superstar Greg Inglis, Panthers giant Dane Laurie and Raiders utility forward Alan Tongue in announcing their shock withdrawal from the Gold Coast blockbuster with niggling injuries yesterday.

But one piece of good news was the selection yesterday of South Sydney's English Test Star Sam Burgess, who was called into the side to replace Taylor last night despite having never played a game in Australia.

Burgess, the most talked about English recruit to enter the NRL, will join the NRL All Stars squad after playing his first game for the Rabbitohs at Redfern Oval tomorrow afternoon.

Burgess had not been eligible for the original voting process because there was doubt about his arrival in Australia.

Tongue and Ellis have been replaced by Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah and Canberra's David Shillington. The NRL All Stars have now lost three of their first-choice forwards.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

At least Campo and Monnas wont be risking injury in this Micky Mouse game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shillington replaces Tongue as Raiders’ All Star

Canberra prop David Shillington will step into Alan Tongue’s popular boots to be the Raiders’ representative in the NRL All Stars team next weekend.

Shillington was called into Wayne Bennett’s team yesterday as Tongue’s replacement for the game against the Indigenous All Stars on the Gold Coast.

Tongue withdrew because of a wrist injury with a host of other players following suit.

In several changes, English forward Sam Burgess was a stunning inclusion for South Sydney’s Dave Taylor, while Robbie Farah took the place of Wests Tigers’ Gareth Ellis.

A hip injury has ruled out Indigenous All Star Greg Inglis.

Greg Bird and Beau Champion were called into the team as replacements for Inglis and Dane Laurie.

Despite the changes, Bennett said fans would still witness a brilliant game.

“With Greg and Hodgo out it’s certainly disappointing but there’s a lot of other wonderful players in the team and they’ll still play plenty of great football” Bennett said.

The Canberra Times
Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer »

Greg Bird??? :rant
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Nerkster wrote:Greg Bird??? :rant
x2. Disgraceful.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Incredible he's even allowed to play NRL, let alone representative teams.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Malcolm Norman Meninga

Post by Raiders Lime Milk »

whatwhat wrote:At least Campo and Monnas wont be risking injury in this Micky Mouse game.

I couldn't care less about this game.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:Incredible he's even allowed to play NRL, let alone representative teams.

Mate I agree 100%, buy playing devils advocate where do you draw the line, courts found him not guilty, yet Inglis is still to face his day in court for a similar offence
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shillington to kick up a fuss

JUST hours after David Shillington was named in the NRL All Stars team, the trash talk had already started with his Canberra Raiders teammate Tom Learoyd-Lahrs.

The two hulking forwards are eyeing each other off for an explosive clash in the exhibition match at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast on Saturday.

Shillington was called into the NRL All Stars squad last Friday after a wrist injury forced Raiders skipper Alan Tongue to withdraw.

Learoyd-Lahrs as well as fellow Canberra players Travis Waddell and Joel Thompson will line up for the Indigenous All Stars.

It sets the platform for two of the Raiders' biggest players to go head to head.

And, according to Shillington, neither will be holding back.

“It will be good to go up against blokes like Tommy Learoyd-Lahrs, we've been doing a bit of trash talking [yesterday]” Shillington said.

“We get along well and I didn't really get to clash with him too much in the State of Origin [last year] because we were on at different times. But I'm sure we'll see each other this weekend, it's not so much rivalry, just friendly fire and neither of us will take a backwards step. We're both big blokes and we're both confident we can take down each other. We were just saying, 'from now on we're not mates', and that sort of stuff so I'm looking forward to it.”

Rugby league fans voted for their favourite players from each club who were then selected in the All Stars team.

Tongue was the most popular Canberra player with Shillington, Terry Campese and Joel Monaghan not far behind.

Injuries have forced withdrawals in both teams and Shillington was one of three changes to the NRL All Stars side.

English forward Sam Burgess replaced David Taylor while Robbie Farah was called up to play in Gareth Ellis's absence.

For Shillington, it continues his rise through the representative ranks having already played for Australia and Queensland.

Wayne Bennett will coach the NRL All Stars and Shillington said he was keen to learn as much as he could from his week in camp.

“It's a shame Tonguey's not getting a game, he's the heart and soul of the Raiders and it would have been nice for him to get some time in the spotlight” Shillington said.

“I reckon he's not that far off getting a big representative start ... but I'm happy to be in there and excited to rub shoulders with all those rep players. I never thought I would play with someone like Benji Marshall and those sort of blokes. It’s pretty exciting, I personally think this is a pretty special game and I hope it’s the first of many.”

After an extended break over Christmas, the 26 year old is back in full training and eager to ensure the Raiders start their NRL season in the best possible way.

The Raiders take on the Penrith Panthers in round one on March 13.

The two All Stars teams go into camp today with the NRL players meeting in Sydney while the Indigenous side gathers on the Gold Coast.

Meanwhile, Raiders coach David Furner jokingly asked Terry Campese for a please explain after the two referees controlling Canberra's training session mysteriously disappeared this week.

The referees from the local competition were helping the Raiders in an opposed session but after half time they were no where to be seen.

Furner turned straight to Campese, who is known for having a long chat with the referees, where they had gone.

"I saw them walk off but I swear I didn't say anything to them" Campo replied.

Instead of calling off training in the Canberra heat, Raiders assistant Andrew McFadden grabbed the whistle for the rest of the game.

SATURDAY
NRL All Stars V Indigenous All Stars, Skilled Park, Gold Coast, 7.30pm
TV Time: Live on WIN

The Canberra Times
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

I don't want to sound like a racist but how are some of the blokes in that Indigenous All Stars side Indigenous??

Greg Bird looks as white as you and I
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

This bloke is blessed...in on the Kangaroo tour through Weymans injury,into this through Tongues.
Should suit his game though being a low intensity,high scoring match up.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

david231280 wrote:I don't want to sound like a racist but how are some of the blokes in that Indigenous All Stars side Indigenous??

This may come as a shock to you, but ones hertiage isnt dictated soley by the colour of one's skin.

As for Shillo, good on him, he's a quality player, its a shame some of his own club fans cant appreciate the player he is, but never mind, they are just fools. He's got plenty more rep footy in him. He'll represent us well :thumbsup
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Shillington to kick up a fuss

JUST hours after David Shillington was named in the NRL All Stars team, the trash talk had already started with his Canberra Raiders teammate Tom Learoyd-Lahrs.

The two hulking forwards are eyeing each other off for an explosive clash in the exhibition match at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast on Saturday.
Just dont hurt each other for god sake
always a raider
Simon Woolford

Post by always a raider »

Nick wrote:As for Shillo, good on him, he's a quality player, its a shame some of his own club fans cant appreciate the player he is, but never mind, they are just fools. He's got plenty more rep footy in him. He'll represent us well :thumbsup
Some people just need something or someone to piss and moan about.
Member no:5576
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Tim W wrote:Just dont hurt each other for god sake
I thought the same thing first up, but often you are more likely to get hurt when you go in half arsed.

Having said that, it's about time we stopped getting players injured in preseason games.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

Nick wrote:As for Shillo, good on him, he's a quality player, its a shame some of his own club fans cant appreciate the player he is, but never mind, they are just fools. He's got plenty more rep footy in him. He'll represent us well :thumbsup
It's not about his quality, or at least for mine it isn't. In all other sports (NBA in particular), an all stars game is one which entertains the crowd more than any other with freakish talents and trying tricks that only work in training. I could be wrong if this is going to be a serious rep match and if it is, he's choosing is definitely justified but I don't see the point in making it then? City v Country is bad enough at giving us injuries.
Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer »

Nick wrote:
david231280 wrote:I don't want to sound like a racist but how are some of the blokes in that Indigenous All Stars side Indigenous??

This may come as a shock to you, but ones hertiage isnt dictated soley by the colour of one's skin.

As for Shillo, good on him, he's a quality player, its a shame some of his own club fans cant appreciate the player he is, but never mind, they are just fools. He's got plenty more rep footy in him. He'll represent us well :thumbsup
Yer lol. Luke Walsh is indigenous isn't he?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Nick wrote:

Not sure if thats the case here. When TLL was nominated he said he was not sure why as he was south sea island origin. Later on at the official press conference he claimed to have aboriginal heritage too. Curiously this wasn't elaborated on in any way. :hmmm I got the impression they had made an error but were sweeping it under the carpet.
Last edited by Northern Raider on February 8, 2010, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Dave, next time you make a post starting with the phrase 'I don't want to sound like...', you should probably just hit the delete key.
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Jack and Papa

Post by cliffbag »

darkin wrote:to take nothing away frm shillo congrats! but when i filled out my team i was reading what happened in the event that the player needs to withdraw due to injury.. it said that the player on the bench already in the team was to fill the position and the next highest voted player from that team was to replace the injured on the bench.. so explain to me again how campo missed out :? ?? WHATS THE POINT OF MAKING GUIDELINES AND RULES IF THEY DNT MATTER WEN IT COMES DOWN TO THE CRUNCH???

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if a team's chosen player was a forward and was injured, they would be replaced by the next highest ranking forward from that team. That was very early on in the voting process so it may have changed since then, but would explain how Shillo was selected ahead of Campo.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Michael wrote:Dave, next time you make a post starting with the phrase 'I don't want to sound like...', you should probably just hit the delete key.
I think there is a fair amount of resentment from a fairly large percentage of our population who are tired of their tax dollars supporting a minor yet hungry/demanding part of our population.

I think Dave's intent was aimed at mostly white people who might be 1/8 aboriginal claiming benefits you, me and Dave do not get like very cheap interest rates on houses, personal loans etc etc are now using that benefit to represent a group of people they have very distant claim to.

It would be like me trying to claim my Irish and Scottish heritage despite being 1/8th of either. Its asinine, yet our government continue to fund this extreme minority with benefits the rest of dont get for something we didn't even do.

All to please the lefty's ;)
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lurch
John Ferguson

Post by Lurch »

dubby wrote:
Michael wrote:Dave, next time you make a post starting with the phrase 'I don't want to sound like...', you should probably just hit the delete key.
I think Dave's intent was aimed at mostly white people who might be 1/8 aboriginal claiming benefits you, me and Dave do not get like very cheap interest rates on houses, personal loans etc etc are now using that benefit to represent a group of people they have very distant claim to.
I don't think Dave put that much thought into it.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

dubby wrote: minor yet hungry/demanding part of our population.

... continue to fund this extreme minority
Yep, you've got 'em pinned there.

Perhaps we should leave it to the experts eh?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Lui_Bon wrote:[
Like my quoting technique.