Half back - Josh McCrone

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Re: Half back - Josh McCrone

Post by Captain Punish »

I think a few of you guys are being a little harsh on McCrone. Here you have a young kid with a lot of potential who so far in his career has been overlooked for less than impressive players at both clubs he has played for..

5 games of first grade and he looks like he owns the position in comparison to that other hack we have playing for us.. McCrone makes a mistake he makes up for it.. Herbert well.. You are lucky if you see him again on the field after..

Herbert did have a good game against the bunnies.. But he does not combine well with Campo.. If Campo gets shut down as he often has this season Herbie goes missing aswell.. Which personally is why we have seen Tongue in the halves so much.. Someone had to step up and atleast try to make a go of it!!

McCrone pairs well in the halves and steers the team round the park efficiently, when Campo goes AWOL he steps up and takes control and he is not afraid to take the line on or put his body on the line..

Claiming this early that he does not have the goods to be a perm fixture in the FG 7 jumper is a little premature.. 5 games: a near miss to the doggies, a broncos hiding, a confident display of skill and leadership against the dragons and easily one of the best against the warriors..

Get behind him people.. he is only going to get better...
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

People seem to conveniently forget we beat the Titans and Storm with Herbert at 7, games in which Campo played quite poorly (from memory). In fact I think every try came from Herberts side against the Storm.

You've also got to remember that the Herb/Campo combo was playing with Buttriss at 9.
The first game McCrone returned, he had the privilege of having a decent 9 in Waddell. Herbert didn't get that chance. Tbh I think the turn around in form can be attributed to our improvement out of dummy half rather than anything that's occured at halfback.

I would agree that McCrone is in better form than Herbert this season. I still think in terms of talent, Herbert is miles in front. Ftr I don't think either of them are up to it at this stage, but I won't be writing off Marc Herbert untill he has had the chance of playing with a quality 9.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Greenthumb wrote:People seem to conveniently forget we beat the Titans and Storm with Herbert at 7, games in which Campo played quite poorly (from memory). In fact I think every try came from Herberts side against the Storm.
I think your memory is due for a service.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Greenthumb wrote:People seem to conveniently forget we beat the Titans and Storm with Herbert at 7, games in which Campo played quite poorly (from memory). In fact I think every try came from Herberts side against the Storm.
I think your memory is due for a service.
The turps will do that to you......

He was very quiet wasn't he, especially against the Storm?

A few posts suggested that McCrone stood up when Campo has been quiet, I was just trying to point out that Herbert is capable of doing the same thing.

Tbh it just sh1ts me how Herb is always the scape goat and people give him sh1t even when he isn't playing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

FTR Campo was the 7th ranked player against the Storm in the GH player of the year voting. Herb was 10th. Against the Titans Herb was top ranked but Campo 2nd only 2 votes behind.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Ck so I was wrong about Campo playing poorly, my bad. :P
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

IMO fans will give votes to terry even when he has an average game.
1- he gets a heap of touches
2- fans like him and know what he is capable regardless of form.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

papabear wrote:IMO fans will give votes to terry even when he has an average game.
Yes but he did have a blinder against the Titans. He had a decent game against Melbourne without starring. Either way he certainly didn't play poorly.

I have noticed that he does draw some undeserved votes but overall the the totals give a fair indication of how he played.
nodrog
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by nodrog »

Northern Raider wrote:
papabear wrote:IMO fans will give votes to terry even when he has an average game.
Yes but he did have a blinder against the Titans. He had a decent game against Melbourne without starring. Either way he certainly didn't play poorly.

I have noticed that he does draw some undeserved votes but overall the the totals give a fair indication of how he played.
yeah in the player of the year voting campo is third placed, and a long way back behind dugan and TLL, which I think is a fair indication. he's been our best besides those two, but he hasn't been as amazing as we thought after the end of last year.
Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Post by Gillfish »

nodrog wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

yeah in the player of the year voting campo is third placed, and a long way back behind dugan and TLL, which I think is a fair indication. he's been our best besides those two, but he hasn't been as amazing as we thought after the end of last year.

uhum... Bronson Harrison people!
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Gillfish wrote:
nodrog wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

uhum... Bronson Harrison people!
Tilse, Shillo, Croker, tbh the list goes on... lets be honest here, lets get real and call it for what it is, its been a pretty poor year from our two superstars - monaghan and campese. Both have had very disappointing after last year carving it up to earn Aussie Jumpers.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raider_69 wrote: Tilse, Shillo, Croker, tbh the list goes on... lets be honest here, lets get real and call it for what it is, its been a pretty poor year from our two superstars - monaghan and campese. Both have had very disappointing after last year carving it up to earn Aussie Jumpers.
SSSHHH!

:x
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

I'm not sold on McCrone. If he is better than Herbert it's only by the smallest of margins which can be put down to form. McCrone has done well the last few weeks in getting us repeat sets and building pressure but that could be because of coaching, not because mccrone is instinctively better at 5th tackle options. I will say McCrone does appear to be more confident in himself and not scared to try things which I will give him credit for but i think Herbert is more skillful and has more potential.

Anyway we really have not solved our halfback problems for next season, unless we buy someone experienced.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

from the looks of it.. it'll be McCrone or Herbert for halfback next year... or someone from the u20's..

doesnt look like we'll be buying anyone new for the number 7 jersey
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
aussie1st
David Furner

Post by aussie1st »

There is only so long that you can keep using the "potential" excuse for Herbert. McCrone in the short space of time has delivered and we have beaten some of the top teams with him and Campese in the halves. Its all about partnership and clearly Campese works better with McCrone than Herbert. He should be the first choice halfback next season but it couldn't hurt to buy Tim Smith as cover.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

If we bought Smith he would be the first choice no doubt.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

McCrone has played well, he doesnt play a traditional half but does seem to work well with Campo. I have no problem him been our 7. Herb does have to lift his form next year
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

In this second stint at first grade, I have liked what I have seen from McCrone. He seems to sometimes take risks, that a lot of the time pay off.
Next year, he would be my first choice.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

His decision making in attack was quite good against the Knights. He also got good early ball to Harrison. I thought his defense was a bit all over the place though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

nodrog wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

He actually started the year on fire, was leading the Dally M award after about 5 rounds and looked like he was going to completely dominate this year, then he seemed to injure his foot going for a field goal (was that the Titans Game?). So I can understand how he has rated so highly.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

McCrone has secured the position as the club's first choice halfback imo.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I am very happy with macca. I think he brings some stability to us in 7. the thing i noticed about herbert was that he often played with tunnel vision, and he was often too slow to react, he often got caught with the ball too often and killed a play. When he did go for a run he didnt hold the ball in front of him to make a play he often tucked the ball under the arm and crashed into the line like a forward would for a hitup. He just doesnt have the vision to set up plays. Ive watched the dragons game many times and for me the most crucial point in the game was when josh put a perfect grubber in to trap boyd in goal at about the 70 minute mark. the score was 22-12 and still in the balance. It kept us downfield for another couple of minutes and forced the dragons into panicking. I was very impressed with that; under herbert i remember we very rarely forced repeat sets, i remember lamenting that we rarely went for the grubber in goal - we always seemed to go for the cross field kick. Whether this is herbert or coaching i dont know, but these days i am more confident of a repeat set/points. The other night i recall him getting a couple of repeat sets as well. I hope we persist with maccrone and dont just put herb back when fit because i think we look like a much better and more balanced footy side with him there.
Up The Milk