Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Chickas shoe »

Where abouts near Cowra, Stig? Gooloogong Cowboys could do with a signing!
The Stig
David Shillington

Post by The Stig »

Chicka's shoe wrote:Where abouts near Cowra, Stig? Gooloogong Cowboys could do with a signing!
He actually coached the Cowra first grade side this year, been with them for a few years now.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Really? news to me, that's what you get for not reading the Cowra Guardian. Or I did and they misspelt is so badly I didn't comprehend.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought Trevor Schodel was coaching Dragons juniors?

*EDIT* Yes, I was correct.

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx? ... y&id=27984
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Herbert gives Bradford Bulls facilities a big thumbs up

New recruit Marc Herbert insists the Bulls set-up matches anything in the NRL.

Although the former Canberra Raiders half-back jetted in from Australia just ten days ago, first impressions, especially of the club’s Tong training base, have been good.

The Bulls relocated to their new HQ, based at Tong School, last year and the state-of-the-art facilities have played a major role in attract-ing new players to the club.

One of ten to arrive at Odsal so far during the off-season, Herbert has just finished his first full week of training and enjoyed every minute.

“It’s been good but it’s been tough,” he said. “I got in last Thursday and started with the boys on the Friday, then had a tough session on the Saturday as well.

“I’ve done a little bit of field work, a few skills and stuff, but it’s been mainly gym work. I’m really enjoying it.

“It’s a good set-up here and it’s good that all our training facilities are together because at Canberra you had to travel a little bit to get to all the different places. Here it’s all under one roof.

“It’s a real good set-up and it definitely compares to anything back home.”

Born and raised in Canberra, Herbert found it tough to leave his home-town club, especially relocating to the other side of the world.

But the transition has been eased by the presence of his girlfriend, who was able to provide the lowdown on what to expect in England.

Herbert said: “Her mum was born here in Birming-ham so she gets a British passport. She was over here a few years ago doing a gap year so it makes everything a little bit easier.

“It definitely helps to have someone to go home to and talk to. I think we’ll be happy here. It’s all been good. We just want to get out of the hotel, find a place and settle in.”

Although Herbert has yet to find a home, he has already begun to sample the culture, including one particularly popular British pastime.

He said: “We’ve been down to Manchester to watch a Man U game, which was pretty cool. BK (Brett Kearney) sorted me out with some tickets there and it was a really good day out.

“The other day we went down to Leeds and had a look and we’re trying to find a new place hopefully.

“It’s all been good and the weather’s not too bad, it’s been kind of friendly, although that could be misleading me a little bit!”

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... thumbs_up/
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Can't be a current photo with the freezing temps they are having at the moment :lol:
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

i read that article today, some of the comments on there from the poms are pretty funny. ill pose some up soon.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

He said: “We’ve been down to Manchester to watch a Man U game, which was pretty cool. BK (Brett Kelly) sorted me out with some tickets there and it was a really good day out.
That was nice of him..

Although Bolton is the real club in that part of England.
Bard
Brett Mullins

Post by Bard »

Steampig, Clayton says... 7:47am Mon 29 Nov 10

"bet he is loving this weather ! they dont get much in the way of snow and cold in canberra !
Hope that the new facilities mean there wont be any major interuptions with training this year"

"On Orford, Parramatta have pulled out of the race. It could be that we have to pay up an Aussie to welcome him back. ut over the weekend it has emerged that he is considering not playing in 2011. Then joining the Gold Coast Bears in 2012 if they are accepted into the NRL."

"haitch, Lincolnshire says...
7:25pm Mon 29 Nov 10
I'll be surprised if 'Awford' takes that year out. He hasn't enough 'yrs' left to start squandering them. Reckon it's probably a ploy. Seems he's trying every trick in the book to secure his release from the Bulls contract he so gladly signed."

soooo not really as funny as i remember, but some good insight, especially about the young burgess aswell.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote:
He said: “We’ve been down to Manchester to watch a Man U game, which was pretty cool. BK (Brett Kelly) sorted me out with some tickets there and it was a really good day out.
That was nice of him..

Although Bolton is the real club in that part of England.
It said Brett Kearney.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gus- wrote:#1

Steampig, Clayton says... 7:47am Mon 29 Nov 10

"bet he is loving this weather ! they dont get much in the way of snow and cold in canberra !
Hope that the new facilities mean there wont be any major interuptions with training this year"

"On Orford, Parramatta have pulled out of the race. It could be that we have to pay up an Aussie to welcome him back. ut over the weekend it has emerged that he is considering not playing in 2011. Then joining the Gold Coast Bears in 2012 if they are accepted into the NRL."

"haitch, Lincolnshire says...
7:25pm Mon 29 Nov 10
I'll be surprised if 'Awford' takes that year out. He hasn't enough 'yrs' left to start squandering them. Reckon it's probably a ploy. Seems he's trying every trick in the book to secure his release from the Bulls contract he so gladly signed."

soooo not really as funny as i remember, but some good insight, especially about the young burgess aswell.
Some of it is pretty funny. Gold Coast Bears. Doesn't get cold in Canberra.

I mean, honestly, how long are Bradford going to go on and on?

Isn't it just time they let Orford move on and they move on? He doesn't want to be there. The Raiders have let players go over and over in similar circumstances. If the player doesn't want to be there, what's the point of enforcing the contract?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:The Raiders have let players go over and over in similar circumstances. If the player doesn't want to be there, what's the point of enforcing the contract?
I guess that is what is disappointing about all of this to me.
Bard
Brett Mullins

Post by Bard »

Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The Raiders have let players go over and over in similar circumstances. If the player doesn't want to be there, what's the point of enforcing the contract?
i dont think its so much about enforcing the contract, but getting something out of it.

fact is, in business, you dont get anything for being nice. just as it would be a bad choice for canberra to pay a large transfer fee for a player we dont 100% need, it would be stupid for bradford to release a player they cant 100% afford to let go.

and there in lies the problem. the best resolution for one club, is the worst for the other.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Gus- wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
i dont think its so much about enforcing the contract, but getting something out of it.

fact is, in business, you dont get anything for being nice. just as it would be a bad choice for canberra to pay a large transfer fee for a player we dont 100% need, it would be stupid for bradford to release a player they cant 100% afford to let go.

and there in lies the problem. the best resolution for one club, is the worst for the other.
That's a fair point, but as GE said, in the past our club has released players for a variety of reasons so they could take better opportunities elsewhere.

The moral to the story is that what goes around doesn't always come around, but I think we can be pretty confident something will be sorted.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gus- wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Fact is, it is getting to the vindictive stage. Orford doesn't want to be there, I suspect an industrial court in Australia would release the guy from the contract. Isn't it time to just get on with life, allow the player to and the club can too. Bradford already get a big cash bonus in that they don't have to fork out for the big contract. Time to get on with life.
Bard
Brett Mullins

Post by Bard »

greeneyed wrote:
Gus- wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Fact is, it is getting to the vindictive stage. Orford doesn't want to be there, I suspect an industrial court in Australia would release the guy from the contract. Isn't it time to just get on with life, allow the player to and the club can too. Bradford already get a big cash bonus in that they don't have to fork out for the big contract. Time to get on with life.
dw mate i agree and i cant wait to see orford in green once its resolved. but i guess from a business point of view its understandable why this paticular signing is taking some time.

guess it will make it all the more sweeter when its announced.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gus- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Gus- wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

dw mate i agree and i cant wait to see orford in green once its resolved. but i guess from a business point of view its understandable why this paticular signing is taking some time.

guess it will make it all the more sweeter when its announced.
It has got to the stage where Bradford is simply trying to profit off a player's unhappiness about playing in England. Not only taking the saved contract money, but are actually trying to profit off it. The guy has played briefly with them. A transfer fee might be warranted if they invested anything in the guy, in terms of years of development etc etc. But they've done nothing of the sort. It is simply an attempt to garner some cash in addition to the saved contract money. As I said, it's got to the vindictive stage.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jade Williams, 25, Canberra Raiders junior, signs on as coach of Macquarie Raiders.

http://www.parkeschampionpost.com.au/ne ... 13182.aspx
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

you're up early this morning, boss! :shock:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

dubby wrote:you're up early this morning, boss! :shock:
He is excited about the baseball tonight
newfnblood
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Anybody who wears the jersey

Post by newfnblood »

Anthony Collella played with us for a few years but had a bad run of injuries, anyway he is an electrician back on the northern beaches I'm a painter and we do work for a couple of the same builders, top bloke had a few brilliant stories to tell!
2014 another rebuilding phase
Raiders member number 12238
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

newfnblood wrote:Anthony Collella played with us for a few years but had a bad run of injuries, anyway he is an electrician back on the northern beaches I'm a painter and we do work for a couple of the same builders, top bloke had a few brilliant stories to tell!
used to really rate the guy
injuries crippled his career but he was a very good line breaking back rower when fit and healthy, had great at the line foot work.
Was a favourite of mine when he played for us. :thumbsup
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

yeah i remember anthony colella,28 games for the raiders,11 tries(44pts)2000-01.great voice as well. :)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raiders Fan
Brett Mullins

Post by Raiders Fan »

Surprised by Marc Herbert saying "It's good that all our training facilities are together because at Canberra you had to travel a little bit to get to all the different places. Here it's all under one roof." Thought that the Raiders' base at Bruce covered everything except the AIS recovery pool. :?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

James Smart, captain coach Gundagai:

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/news/ ... 39773.aspx

Junee seeking to sign Matt Ward:

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/news/ ... 39772.aspx

Ben Cross arrives in England to play for Leeds:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/l ... 6678562.jp

Antony Seibold coaching Mackay, comments on Canberra local Liam Taylor:

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/20 ... ment-2011/
-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

Im still shocked Matt Ward was let go, the club had big hopes for him.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Salesi Finau is living on the Sunny Coast. Played one NRL game in 1994. Has arms the size of 44 gallon drums.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sean Rutgerson, coaching assistant Newtown Jets.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I'll never forget that trysaving tackle Rutgo made on Gasnier in about 03 or 04. Incredible stuff.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter Penaia and Jason Bulgarelli to play for Norths Red Devils Mackay in 2011.

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/20 ... -fortunes/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brenton Lawrence trialling with the Titans top grade.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/201 ... itans.html
SLeAKeR
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Sticky

Post by SLeAKeR »

Just reading the team lists for the trials this weekend and noticed Marshall Chalk is playing for Ipswich Vs Roosters. I just discovered he was back in 2010 contracted to the Titans. I didnt even know he was back from overseas. lol
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

SLeAKeR wrote:Just reading the team lists for the trials this weekend and noticed Marshall Chalk is playing for Ipswich Vs Roosters. I just discovered he was back in 2010 contracted to the Titans. I didnt even know he was back from overseas. lol

The Titans didnt re-sign him for this year. He was on their books last year but never made it out of the Qcup
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Walters in league of his own

State of Origin legend Steve Walters at Bundamba State Secondary College.

IT has been almost 30 years since Steve Walters set foot inside a classroom as a student.

But the Ipswich rugby league legend – not long ago recognised as the best hooker in the game – had no reservations about meeting and greeting students at Bundamba State Secondary College yesterday.

As part of his “Principal for a Day” responsibilities, the former Australian Kangaroo and Queensland State of Origin player congratulated the high school’s new band of leaders, including school captains and vice-captains, in an induction ceremony.

Mr Walters was raised and schooled in Ipswich, attending Ipswich East State School from the early 1970s, then attending Bremer High in years eight, nine and 10 before finishing his secondary school years at Ipswich Boys Grammar in 1982.

“I enjoyed both Bremer and Grammar even though they were very different sorts of schools.”

Mr Walters said his first move as principal would be to lobby for a pay rise for teachers.

“Plus a bit more super and a couple of extra days off,” he said.

Jokes aside, school principal Andrew Peach said Mr Walters was the perfect example for students of what they could achieve if they worked hard.

“It is great for the school and a great opportunity to continue the good work that has been done with the Former Origin Greats Program,” Mr Peach said.

Mr Walters has played an important role in mentoring indigenous students through the FOGS program, which has involved regular visits to several secondary schools in Ipswich.

“We’ve got an art program through FOGS to help the indigenous kids get some better outcomes at school,” he said.

“We have some sports mentors that come out and talk to them, with a few incentives and rewards to encourage them academically.”

Although they are a bit young to remember seeing him in action, Bundamba’s 2011 leaders were certainly aware of Mr Walters’ career and the importance of having him working with the school.

Mr Walters is a manager with the current Queensland State of Origin team, working alongside his long-time friend and former Canberra Raiders teammate Mal Meninga.

“My team, the Raiders, is looking good this year, so I’m really looking forward to the 2011 season,” he said.

“The game is always evolving but I think it is for the better – the standard of the players and teams is very close and the standard of competition is getting better and better.”

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/02/16/w ... n-ipswich/
-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

Love how he said "my team, the Raiders"