Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Green_Hammock wrote: May 12, 2018, 4:02 pm Daniel Vidot just signed with the WWE! http://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/05/11/ ... -contract/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
He is going to be gutted when he finds out professional wrestling is fake.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Green eyed Mick wrote: May 12, 2018, 4:34 pm
Green_Hammock wrote: May 12, 2018, 4:02 pm Daniel Vidot just signed with the WWE! http://www.ringsidenews.com/2018/05/11/ ... -contract/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
He is going to be gutted when he finds out professional wrestling is fake.
Just like the horn at Canberra Stadium...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders back Zac Santo returns to Townsville Blackhawks

ONE of the Blackhawks’ most prolific attacking weapons is coming home to Townsville.Utility back Zac Santo has secured an immediate release from the New Zealand Warriors and will link up with his former Blackhawks team mates at training this week.

Read more: https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/s ... bd25c8e4bb
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders back Daniel Vidot reportedly earns WWE contract

FORMER NRL star Daniel Vidot has reportedly earned a contract with the WWE. Reports claim the 28-year-old - who played over 100 first-grade games for Canberra, St George Illawarra, Brisbane and the Titans - has been signed to a one-year developmental deal after training in the US for the last two years.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sport ... f39cafe4c6
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forever Green: Where are they now? - Trevor Thurling

This week we catch up with our former forward Trevor Thurling.

What do you do for work now?

When I finished playing, I started work at the Richmond Fellowship which is looking after kids who are in care in Canberra and I did that for about three years. I then started at the Bimberi Youth Justice Centre which is a juvenile justice centre and I was full time there for about three years and I'm still currently there casually and over the past 14 months, I've been working at Parliament House in security.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... -thurling/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2018, 1:32 pm Forever Green: Where are they now? - Trevor Thurling

When I finished playing, I started work at the Richmond Fellowship which is looking after kids who are in care in Canberra and I did that for about three years. I then started at the Bimberi Youth Justice Centre which is a juvenile justice centre and I was full time there for about three years and I'm still currently there casually and over the past 14 months, I've been working at Parliament House in security.

Seems like a really nice bloke with a good attitude and still looked very fit when I saw him recently.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Big Tommy Large mentoring and coaching indigenous kids around Tamworth, was on fox league the other night

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders legend Laurie Daley endorsed by NSWRL board to join Darren Lockyer as chief Kangaroos selector

FORMER Australia captain Laurie Daley has been appointed a chief selector for the world champion Kangaroos. A NSWRL board meeting on Friday morning endorsed Daley’s appointment to the top job.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/laurie ... 9f80093bec
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forever Green: Where are they now? - Jason Croker

This week we catch up with our most capped player and all-time leading try scorer, Jason Croker.

I run a recruitment company called inPlace. We supply labourers for construction.
We've also got the café at Crace, it's a Coffee Guru up there so if you're ever in the neighbourhood pop in for a coffee.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... on-croker/
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Zac Santo on the bench for Townsville this weekend.. That was a successful move to New Zealand

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Makaveli wrote:Zac Santo on the bench for Townsville this weekend.. That was a successful move to New Zealand

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
I'm sure he had a nice time playing competitive footy in a beautiful (semi) foreign country.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Billy Walker wrote: May 18, 2018, 10:51 am
greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2018, 1:32 pm Forever Green: Where are they now? - Trevor Thurling

Seems like a really nice bloke with a good attitude and still looked very fit when I saw him recently.
Trev is a great bloke. I have to say in the late 2000s we really had some fantastic people. We weren’t the best team but I loved going back to the Tradies after each home game.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He really retired too early imo. He was only 28 and still had good footy in him.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

edwahu wrote: May 24, 2018, 9:59 pm He really retired too early imo. He was only 28 and still had good footy in him.
I can’t remember what the injury was but he was busted.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I thought his knees were shot
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forever Green: Where are they now? - Matt Gafa

This week for Forever Green we catch up with Matt Gafa. During his time with the club, Matt played at winger, center and five-eighth before also representing Harlequins in the Super League.

I work for the Australian Bureau of Statistics in Belconnen. It's nothing too exciting but I work in the Health Survey. I help Troy Thompson coach the West Belconnen Warriors. There are a few ex-players helping out at a few of the clubs around Canberra so that's good for rugby league around Canberra.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/05 ... matt-gafa/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You broke my heart, Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Hinchcliffe hoping to earn new Huddersfield Giants deal from new coach Simon Woolford

RYAN HINCHCLIFFE recalls new Huddersfield Giants head coach Simon Woolford being a “grubby little hooker” in his own playing days - but now wants a new deal from him.

“I played against him a few times back home,” he recalled about the 43-year-old coach. “He was a grubby little hooker! A tough little bugger. A real creative number nine. He was actually captain at the Raiders whilst I was there playing reserve grade for a couple of years.

Read more: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... -1-9186629

Woolford looking to follow in Brown’s footsteps at Giants: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... -1-9186722

Former Canberra Raiders forward Paul Vaughan's life support scare with Gungahlin Bulls: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/31/nsw ... ort-scare/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:How?
Remeber that year in reserves before he broke into first grade? Gee, he was good....his point tally was out of this world.

Really thought he might make a go of it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: May 31, 2018, 9:21 pm
Remeber that year in reserves before he broke into first grade? Gee, he was good....his point tally was out of this world.

He was a much better player than many of the fans remember.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote: May 31, 2018, 9:21 pm

He was a much better player than many of the fans remember.
350 odd points in a season. You don't see it much.

Just couldnt quite get there in firsts.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Gaf.

Good times...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

He's still putting the numbers together
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I wonder if Bulgarelli gets forever green invites

Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:I wonder if Bulgarelli gets forever green invites

He's where the party is at
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

reptar wrote: June 1, 2018, 11:52 am

yep. Bulgarelli, Dugan, Ferguson, Carney and Tedesco all arrived in the same minibus.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Matty Gafa! What a legend.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Gafa was a pretty solid player. In many ways he was a jack of all trades but didn’t quite master first grade. He was a good full back, winger, centre and as he showed in the local comp five eight. He was also a very good goal kicker.

When I was at ABS on secondment last year I saw him around a bit and all the people who had worked with him said he was great to work with.

Probably not many ex footballers go into the public service these days. Once of a time that was probably a selling point for getting players to Canberra.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

One thing I will also say about Gafa is he is certainly one player who can look in the mirror and say he gave his NRL career his all.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Didnt he seriously injure himself wrestling his cat or something?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sid wrote:
reptar wrote: June 1, 2018, 11:52 am

yep. Bulgarelli, Dugan, Ferguson, Carney and Tedesco all arrived in the same minibus.
Their invite was to manuka oval
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Good to see Sandor Earl making a remarkable early return from injury this weekend in the QLD Cup

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders winger Sandor Earl readies for reserve grade comeback

After almost five years out while battling scandal and injury, Sandor Earl will finally make a quiet return to a rugby league field this weekend.

The 28-year-old was handed a career lifeline by Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy only to suffer an ACL injury in November which cast doubt on whether he would ever add to his 48 NRL games.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zjrx.html

Former NRL player Daniel Vidot fulfils dream with WWE contract: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... tract.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forever Green: Where are they now? - Former Canberra Raiders winger Odell Manuel

This week we catch up with our former forward Odell Manuel who played 19 matches for the club between 2001-2002... and is now big in the world of powerlifting.

I'm just a glorified council worker now. Nothing special mate, I just work up in Rockhampton now as a truck driver, nothing special mate, but it pays the bills. I just drive the trucks for the council, just a council worker. Nothing hard, bro.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/06 ... ll-manuel/