All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by zim »

God imagine him turning out for the broncs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders half Josh McCrone links with Young for rest of 2020

Josh McCrone, who started this season playing for The Toronto Wolfpack in the Super League this season, will link with Young for the last three Group Nine games.

Read more: https://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/stor ... e/?cs=9657
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Former Canberra Raiders half Josh McCrone links with Young for rest of 2020

Josh McCrone, who started this season playing for The Toronto Wolfpack in the Super League this season, will link with Young for the last three Group Nine games.

Read more: https://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/stor ... e/?cs=9657
BJ Mole reported that McCrone was linking up with the Raiders mid season ‘SBW style’ with paid for accomodation at the Kambah Tavern and access to free clothes and toys from the charity bin in the car park.

The NRL after reading my Kaboom insight, cracked down on this blatant salary cap breach and have sent McCrone to play with Young instead.

SBW and the Roosters on the other hand have been cleared of any salary cap indiscretions, the letter confirming the clearance has been sent in a brown paper bag.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Injuries force Boyd into premature retirement

Former Test prop Shannon Boyd has been granted a release from his contract with the Gold Coast Titans and will retire to the family farm in Cowra.

A battle with significant injuries has limited his appearances at the Titans to just 14 games, after making his club debut against the Raiders in the opening round last season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/12/inj ... etirement/
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Presumably Boydy gets an insurance payout and the Titans get his inflated salary out of their cap. Win, win I guess.

Career really hit the skids when he left us.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Always a fan of the biggus piggus

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Raiders coach among Dragons coaching shortlist

Former Canberra coach David Furner has emerged as a candidate for the vacant St George Illawarra job. Furner is one of the leading contenders among a wishlist that includes Anthony Griffin, Kevin Walters and Laurie Daley.

Interim coach Dean Young did no harm to his hopes of securing the role on a full-time basis after guiding the Dragons to a 28-24 win over Brisbane in his first game at the helm.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/former-raide ... ted-71946/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Laurie Daley ?

Yeah rite..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Former Raiders coach among Dragons coaching shortlist

Former Canberra coach David Furner has emerged as a candidate for the vacant St George Illawarra job. Furner is one of the leading contenders among a wishlist that includes Anthony Griffin, Kevin Walters and Laurie Daley.

Interim coach Dean Young did no harm to his hopes of securing the role on a full-time basis after guiding the Dragons to a 28-24 win over Brisbane in his first game at the helm.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/former-raide ... ted-71946/
He'd be nailed on, I'd imagine.... I recall we needed to offer him a multi-year contract extension because of all the other clubs lined up, clamouring for his services.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

You'd suspect if Griffin is amongst the candidates he would be the one to get it, especially if Walters does end up heading to Brisbane. I can't see Walters winning in a straight shootout between the two anyway.

If they do sign Furner I'd be happy, as it would almost ensure that the Dragons will remain a minimal threat for the foreseeable future.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd like to see him coach again so we can hear about the dragons needing to get the little things right as nauseum

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

I'd love to see David back here as an assistant coach. I don't think he has what it takes to be a head coach, but he make as great assistant.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

It would be nice, but Im wondering if that ship has sailed. It would have been a pretty hard situation to deal with. Being dropped by the club you played for, where your brother is the CEO, and replaced by a guy who's a mate, then be asked to come back as your replacements assistant.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky finds a spot for Dean Pay in 2021.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Todd Payten, appointed as North QLD Cowboys coach

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Sid wrote: September 4, 2020, 11:10 am Todd Payten, appointed as North QLD Cowboys coach

Does anyone else here think he looks like Ming the Merciless?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

woppadingo wrote: September 4, 2020, 5:59 pm
Sid wrote: September 4, 2020, 11:10 am Todd Payten, appointed as North QLD Cowboys coach

Dead ringer.

Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Finchy wrote: September 4, 2020, 7:48 pm
woppadingo wrote: September 4, 2020, 5:59 pm

Dead ringer.

It’s incredible. Unfortunately when I say it to people they don’t know who it is. IYKYK and it’s uncanny; almost like he’s taking the piss out of everyone surely !
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Simon Woolford probably heading back to Australia after two years with Huddersfield Giants: https://everythingrugbyleague.com/woolf ... head-high/
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

What is the status of Jack Murchie? Is his deal a "loan" to the Warriors or has he signed with them for some period?
I've always thought he had ability and he has been fairly good in what I have seen of the Warriors lately. He would be good in a crowded field for forwards at the Raiders next year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cranky Old Man wrote: September 15, 2020, 7:01 pm What is the status of Jack Murchie? Is his deal a "loan" to the Warriors or has he signed with them for some period?
I've always thought he had ability and he has been fairly good in what I have seen of the Warriors lately. He would be good in a crowded field for forwards at the Raiders next year.
It's not a loan, he's been released.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Think it was only a 1 year deal originally but he has signed an extension for an extra 2 years
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Thank you.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He's been really good the past month. Future looks very good and I'm extremely happy for him.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yeah he's done well for himself. Improved a lot. The biggest improvement is he's not blowing after 10mins in grade.
He never would have got the time in a side like ours to allow him to build up that fitness.
Hope Brown doesn't shut the door on him. He's going to need some time to get going again in a season at this stage of his career.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bulldogs add David Furner as Barrett's assistant

The Canterbury Bulldogs have unveiled part of their new Coaching and High Performance Staff for 2021, with former Raiders forward and coach David Furner named as Trent Barrett's Senior Assistant Coach.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/18/bul ... assistant/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: September 15, 2020, 7:47 pm He's been really good the past month. Future looks very good and I'm extremely happy for him.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
He's been good because he's actually playing in position IMO. He looked ok in patches at prop but not anywhere near as good as he's always been on an edge. The bulk up and shift was a very, very weird career move for mine and I'm glad it looks to have been put on the backburner.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Bulldogs add David Furner as Barrett's assistant

The Canterbury Bulldogs have unveiled part of their new Coaching and High Performance Staff for 2021, with former Raiders forward and coach David Furner named as Trent Barrett's Senior Assistant Coach.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/18/bul ... assistant/
Of course. It was explained to us .... he was in such screamingly high demand as a head coach that we had to raise and extend his contract.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's probably not going to be a HC again, but he's obviously well respected and appreciated in coaching circles. and it seems to me that he's a guy young coaches are keen to bring him to help them navigate things. In that respect, water has probably found it's level.

He's a good man and good coach, albeit not a good HC. Good to see him continue his career.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Great human and outstanding assistant coach

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Todd Carney opens up on his new life on the Gold Coast and his concreting business

“I’ve got a tattoo that says: ‘Everything happens for a reason’. I believe it does,” he said. “I wouldn’t have played for the Roosters if I didn’t get in trouble at the Raiders. I wouldn’t have played at Cronulla if I didn’t get in trouble at the Roosters.

“In a perfect world I’d probably still be playing at Canberra but then I wouldn’t have got to experience what I experienced and the guys I got to play with, some who are my closest mates.

“Boyd Cordner is one of my best mates, if things didn’t happen in my life then we wouldn’t be such close mates. Mitchell Pearce is another close friend. Anthony Minichiello, Braith Anasta, Paul Gallen, Wade Graham., all close mates.

“In a perfect world I wouldn’t have experienced that because I would still be at Canberra. I would never have left there because I loved the club that much – and still do. But it’s not a perfect world, is it?”

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sp ... sNXDEFata0
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Don't forget your mates at the Atherton pub Toddles..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is the reason usually “because I was being a peanut”?
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

He still doesn’t get it , what a dumb ass way of looking at life . If he hadn’t been such a consistent ass clown he could of been anything .

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

It's nice to give yourself a big hug by heaping blame on the universe instead of taking responsibility for your own actions. Certainly must sleep better at night.