Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by BJ »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Did you run into him 3 times?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Coincidentally he was singing ‘Once, Twice, Three Times a Lima’ while busking.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Zealand Warriors trainer Alex Corvo could prove the best buy of the 2018 NRL season

Off-field New Zealand Warriors recruit Alex Corvo has coach Stephen Kearney buzzing, as the season approaches kickoff on March 10. The former Canberra Raiders forward signed a three-year deal with the Warriors at the end of last season, becoming the club's strength and conditioning coach.

"There was a fair bit of a gap that I feel we needed to close in certain areas and that was a big one. "Hence, we made the decision, at the back end of 2017, to bring in someone like Alex, with his experience expertise, and that's exactly what he has brought.

Read more: http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/201 ... eason.html
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Alex was the strongest player at our club back in the day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forever Green: Where are they now? - Jamie McInnes

This week we catch up with former halfback and fullback Jamie McInnes who represented the club during the 80s. McInnes played most of his football in Reserve Grade before returning to coach the club’s President’s Cup side under Craig Bellamy.

What do you do for work now?

I’ve got a business we started 12 months ago. I’m in the building trade so I do shower screens and wardrobes.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/01 ... e-mcinnes/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold brings team to the national capital

South Sydney Rabbitohs coach and former Raider Anthony Seibold brought his squad to the AIS this week for a five-day camp. Seibold played two seasons for the Canberra Raiders in 1997-98 alongside Green Machine coach Ricky Stuart and laughs plenty has changed since then.

"I still get here a little bit because my wife [Holly] is from Canberra and her family still live here," Seibold said. "Her brother used to play for the Raiders, Lincoln Withers. Lincoln dropped down during the week and spent a day with us on Tuesday to have a look. I do get here two times a year.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/sout ... 0mo1t.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Raiders Adam Clydsdale and Dane Tilse join forces at Maitland

Adam Clydsdale’s grandfather will go down as one of Maitland’s greatest players, so it’s only fitting the former Knights and Raiders hooker has signed with the Pumpkin Pickers this season. The former Knights, Raiders and Sharks No. 9 will team up with former Newcastle prop Dane Tilse, who captains Maitland.

Meanwhile Newcastle Wests coach Matt Lantry remains hopeful of signing former Roosters and Canberra wrecking ball Frank-Paul Nu’uausala in 2019.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 757bd0a0d7
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Dane is not a former knight!!! They dumped him!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

He is a green machine!! Raiders legend! :rant :rant :rant

It's not that hard to google!!
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is factually correct... does ignore the 200 games he played for the Raiders though...

Then its not correct :rant :rant

It would be like calling Ricky or Brad former Bulldogs players, they are former raiders players who played 20 games for the dogs.

What do editors do these days?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Legend is a huge stretch
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders coach Tim Sheens says winning promotion to Super League with Hull KR one of his finest achievements

HE is one of Australia’s most decorated coaches, but for Tim Sheens getting promoted to the Super League with Hull KR is up there with winning a World Cup.

“When it went haywire I said to the owner, who was going to pay me a wage of a Super League coach, that if he wanted me to walk away I would,” Sheens said. “But we got some wins and the team got some credibility and then were able to bring some better players on board and won promotion.”

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/legend ... 9b1667279e
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders forward Frank Paul Nuuausala has ‘point to prove’ with Wigan Warriors

Frank Paul Nuuausala has admitted he has ‘a point to prove’ ahead of the new Super League season which kicks-off this weekend. The big prop, nicknamed the ‘Wrecking Ball’, arrived at Wigan midway through the 2016 season, and admits he hasn’t yet scaled the heights which earned him one of rugby league’s most memorable nicknames.

“I can’t talk about it much because it’s not what you do at training, it’s what you do on the field. To be honest there’s a point to prove,” he said.

Read more: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-8987744
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders player Steve Stone buys out Flip Out

Flip Out Australia trampoline founder Brent Grundy has sold his franchising company to former Canberra Raiders league player Steven Stone. However, the Flip Out brand is under attack with mounting complaints from customers in Australia and the United Kingdom of serious ­injuries. Flip Out vigorously has defended its safety ­record.

“We treat safety very seriously and make every endeavour to ensure our guests have a safe and enjoyable time at all of our facilities. We do note that given the very nature of the activity it is important for all guests to ­appreciate that it is an activity in which injury can occur and accordingly we have clear guidelines for guests to follow.”

Read more: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nati ... 19319ca89b
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wolfpack captain Josh McCrone ready to help grow rugby league in North America

Josh McCrone gets two new countries in one in joining the Toronto Wolfpack. The former Canberra Raiders half is currently putting the final touches to his family's new home near the Wolfpack's English training centre in Manchester. Later this year, he will land in Canada for the first time when the transatlantic rugby league team switches to the home half of its schedule in the second-tier Championship.

"Walking into a new club can be daunting at times. I've done it a few times before but for some reason (Toronto) has just got a really good feel about it."

Read more: http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2018/01/ ... erica.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forever Green: Where are they now? - Gary Belcher

This week we catch up with former fullback Gary Belcher. Belcher, who also represented Queensland and Australia was an integral part of the Raiders Premiership winning sides in 1989 and 1990. Belcher made 148 appearances for the club while scoring 69 tries in the process.

“I do some media work with Crocmedia doing some radio. I might do a bit more work with Fox Sports but we’ll see what happens. I’ll think it’ll just be mainly radio now, so I still haven’t got a real job.”

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/01 ... y-belcher/
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sounds like he has been at least partially brushed from Fox. Now Foxes commentary team is almost 100% unbearable.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Former Canberra Raiders player Steve Stone buys out Flip Out

Flip Out Australia trampoline founder Brent Grundy has sold his franchising company to former Canberra Raiders league player Steven Stone. However, the Flip Out brand is under attack with mounting complaints from customers in Australia and the United Kingdom of serious ­injuries. Flip Out vigorously has defended its safety ­record.

“We treat safety very seriously and make every endeavour to ensure our guests have a safe and enjoyable time at all of our facilities. We do note that given the very nature of the activity it is important for all guests to ­appreciate that it is an activity in which injury can occur and accordingly we have clear guidelines for guests to follow.”

Read more: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nati ... 19319ca89b
What do people expect? It's a trampolining place ****
Danster
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Danster »

edwahu wrote:Sounds like he has been at least partially brushed from Fox. Now Foxes commentary team is almost 100% unbearable.
Yeah I was disappointed to read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honourable Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
Proudly representing the Croker Electorate since 2007
Winner of the Greenhouse Tipping Comp 2007
Greeneyed Member #6260
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote:Sounds like he has been at least partially brushed from Fox. Now Foxes commentary team is almost 100% unbearable.
He was very rarely on Fox League last year. It's a shame.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Badge spoke too much sense

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders back William Zillman calls time on NRL career

VETERAN fullback William Zillman has announced his retirement from the NRL. Unsigned at the conclusion of the 2017 season, Zillman was farewelled by the Gold Coast before the club had a change of heart and offered him a new one-year-deal.

“As the beginning of the NRL season approaches, I felt that this is the right time to publicly announce my retirement from rugby league,” Zillman wrote on Instagram. “In addition to running my business, Will Zillman Horsemanship, I am about to begin studying Veterinary Medicine as my professional career post rugby league.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0c6c0c1fc0
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Former Canberra Raiders back William Zillman calls time on NRL career

VETERAN fullback William Zillman has announced his retirement from the NRL. Unsigned at the conclusion of the 2017 season, Zillman was farewelled by the Gold Coast before the club had a change of heart and offered him a new one-year-deal.

“As the beginning of the NRL season approaches, I felt that this is the right time to publicly announce my retirement from rugby league,” Zillman wrote on Instagram. “In addition to running my business, Will Zillman Horsemanship, I am about to begin studying Veterinary Medicine as my professional career post rugby league.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0c6c0c1fc0
As a junior, his hands were as good as I've ever seen. Will always be a 'what if' player for me.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yeah same.

He looked outstanding until he blew his knees

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

what an incredible player he was at 1 and 6 in our PL side

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seems like a bit of a weird unit tbh
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:Seems like a bit of a weird unit tbh
because he's got more on his mind tban sinking booze and playing console games?
he's into horses and footy just put the $$ in the bank.

Edrick The Entertainer
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

https://williamzillman.com.au

Seems like he’s got a good plan for a post-football life
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

When did he last play a game of NRL? I can't believe they offered him another year.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He was playing on the wing last year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forever Green: Where are they now? - Glen Buttriss

This week we catch up with former Raiders hooker Glen Buttriss who played for the club from 2008 - 2015. During his time with the Raiders, Buttriss scored seven tries before going on to play for the Mounties in the Intrust Super Premiership. Buttriss will continue playing this year as he prepares to captain-coach his hometown club, the Cootamundra Bulldogs.

I work at Melba Copland Secondary School and College doing some youth work there.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/02 ... -buttriss/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders back Thomas Cronan proves the match-winner for Knights against Melbourne Storm in trial

Most days when he is not training, you’ll find Thomas Cronan serving beers behind the bar at the Queens Wharf Hotel. Which is probably where he would have been on Wednesday had it not been for a surprise call-up into the Newcastle Knights squad for the trial against Melbourne in Melbourne.

“Jack Cogger created it with a great cut-out pass and I just had to pretty much catch it and fall over the line but it was still a good feeling getting the try to win it,”the 21-year-old said of his match winning try.

Read more: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52173 ... storm-run/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders half Josh McCrone: Toronto’s ambitions are to be a successful Super League team

Toronto Wolfpack star Josh McCrone says Toronto Wolfpack’s long-term plan is to be a successful club in the Betfred Super League.

“We have got plenty of experience and we have recruited reasonably well, not including myself, but I think we have got enough experience and talent in the team to challenge for a spot in Super League and that’s what we want to do. It’s a good challenge for me with where I am at in my career at the moment and it’s a challenge to try and get promoted into Super League and do something special with this group. They started at the bottom and they have got themselves to the Championship and carry on with that momentum and go forward.

Read more: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/jo ... ague-team/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarred Tuite gets a chance with Easts Tigers

Fresh off an intra-club match at the weekend, the Easts Tigers will travel to Mudgeeraba to take on Burleigh at 6pm Saturday.

“We’re looking forward to getting out and playing,” coach Scott Sipple said. “(Recruits) Jarred Tuite from the Canberra Raiders and Jack Anderson from the Souths Logan Magpies are two I’ve been impressed with throughout pre-season so I’m looking forward to watching them.”

Read more: http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews ... 5eba259c97
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Forever Green: Where are they now? - Matt Corkery

This week we catch up with former Raiders winger Matt Corkery who played for the club between 1984 – 1989. During his time with the club, Corkery scored 19 tries before going on to represent the Cronulla Sharks. Now, Corkery has returned to the Raiders family where he coaches the Tarsha Gale Cup side.

I work for Spotless Services as a Project Manager. We look after facility management across the Defence portfolio within the ACT and Southern NSW. I got involved with the Raiders juniors three or four years ago. It’s just progressed from there and now I’m coaching the Tarsha Gale Cup side. It’s been a good experience. I wanted to give something back and what better place to give something back than with the girls.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/02 ... t-corkery/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why former Canberra Raiders hooker Glen Buttriss returned to country footy

GLEN Buttriss always knew he’d play for Cootamundra – he just didn’t know when. Buttriss has long watched his hometown Bulldogs from a far while he lived out his NRL dream with the Canberra Raiders. But when Cootamundra started losing, the Raiders hooker knew he had to return home and help.

“Having grown up in Coota and spent my junior footy there, it hurt to see the boys struggling,” said Buttriss, who played 119 NRL games for the Raiders.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/why-nr ... dbeeb0c934
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Matt Allwood has signed with Newcastle

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust