2008 Finals Week 1 V Sharks: Game Day and Post Match

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

2008 Finals Week 1 V Sharks: Game Day and Post Match

Post by -TW- »

The patented game day and post match thread...all discussion about the game here and views and reviews for days after...game shown live into NSW, QLD and ACT on Ch9/WIN from 6.30pm, On 666 ABC Canberra and ABC Local Radio Grandstand in your local area

Raiders out to harpoon Sharks

CANBERRA RAIDERS v CRONULLA-SUTHERLAND SHARKS
Toyota Stadium, Saturday, September 12, at 6.30pm
Referee: Jared Maxwell

WHAT'S AT STAKE

The Green Machine is looking to continue their solid end of season with a win in the opening round of the semifinal series, against the Cronulla Sharks at Toyota Stadium on Saturday night.

With the carrot of a possible home semi-final in week two dangling in front of them the Raiders will be keen for an upset against the third placed Sharks, and will welcome back Marshall Chalk to their side for the clash after he returns from a fractured hand.

STATS BOX

Head to Head

Overall:
Raiders 23, Sharks 27

At Toyota Stadium:
Raiders 6, Sharks 17

Last time they met:
Sharks 36 defeated Raiders 24 at Canberra Stadium

Recent Form
Raiders: 30 pts (6th)
Sharks: 38pts (3rd)

Form line:
Raiders: LWWLWLBLLWBLLWWLLWWWLWWWLW
Sharks: WWLWWLLBWWLWWWWWBLWLWWLWW

MATCH-UPS

Adrian Purtell - Misi Taulapapa

Purtell finished the season as the Raiders top try scorer, and will be out to increase his regular season tally with one or two against the Sharks on Saturday. Purtell will use his height as an advantage, and has been combining well with Joel Monaghan. Taulapapa was in the headlines earlier in the year for his off the ball hit on Raiders Captain Alan Tongue, and will be reminded of the hit on Saturday night.

Terry Campese - Brett Seymour

Campese was unlucky to take home five-eighth of the year at Tuesday nights Dally M awards, and finished just one point behind Joel Monaghan in Wednesday night's Meninga Medal, so he will be keen to take his awards in the semi-finals. There's no doubting that Campese is the lynchpin of the Canberra attack, and will be targeted by the Sharks, by the likes of the flashy Brett Seymour and seasoned halfback Brett Kimmorley.

Alan Tongue - Paul Gallen

The Dally M Captain and Lock of the year Alan Tongue faces the Sharks Lock, Captain and Australian backrower Paul Gallen in the biggest match-up of what is shaping up to be a huge game. They are two contrasting players with Tongue the passive leader of his team, and Gallen leading with raw aggression.

INSIDE INFORMATION - with Neil Henry

"The boys are one to 17 and this is the way expect them to run out on Saturday night. Marshall Chalk has been cleared of a hand injury, and will be used off the bench in his usual role as utility."

"There's no doubt a win would be a fantastic achievement as we secure a home semi, so its all to play for against the Sharks."

WORTH NOTING

Alan Tongue and Colin Best will be two members of the Dally M team of the year on show.

The Raiders lost narrowly 34-26 when the teams met earlier this year.

Colin Best takes on one of his former clubs.

The Raiders Toyota Cup side takes on the Titans at 4.15pm.

http://www.raiders.com.au
Last edited by -TW- on September 12, 2008, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stumpy
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Papalli

Re: 2008 Finals Wk 1 V Sharks: Game Day and Post Match Thread

Post by Stumpy »

Well done Timmay! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2008 Finals Wk 1 V Sharks: Game Day and Post Match Thread

Post by -TW- »

Stumpy wrote:Well done Timmay! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
cheers mate, thought id help out and take a bit of the load off GE's shoulders :D
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Re: 2008 Finals Week 1 V Sharks: Game Day and Post Match

Post by GreenSoul »

Looks like someone's pushing for an admin spot.

You might not want to steal the thunder of the guy who pays the bills :)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All assistance is welcomed! :)
Karne
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Karne »

God I hope they win, that would be such a nice birthday present...

Raiders for the Premiership! Bugger in a couple of years, this year!
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I've got a feeling we could see Herbert to half, Buttriss to the bench, Chalk in for Kelly and Kelly :arrow: - just a feeling...
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

I'll be up at 4:30 am Toronto time to call this one with you all. Bring it on :woot:
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

The match will be streamed live at http://****/thumperstu for those without access to the broadcast.
I've got a feeling we could see Herbert to half, Buttriss to the bench, Chalk in for Kelly and Kelly - just a feeling...
If it turns out like that I'll be happy. I know Kelly is trying hard, but we can't afford the couple of errors a game he makes...not in a final. Chalk + Best would be a safer option.

I still have a feeling Kelly will play, though.
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher

Post by GreenSoul »

Michael wrote:I've got a feeling we could see Herbert to half, Buttriss to the bench, Chalk in for Kelly and Kelly :arrow: - just a feeling...
I hope that happens but with buttsy to hooker and hinchy to the bench.
Bay53
Steve Walters

See you there people!!!!!

Post by Bay53 »

The day is finally here. At the start of the season it was a dream that we would wake up one September morning and get ready to go to a final.

I must say I hope the players slept better than I did. I work up about quarter to four and couldn't really get back to sleep, too excited about the game.

Doing some other things in Sydney today (note for anyone going early it is going to be 28 degrees there today), so just about to leave.

Hopefully there is a sea of green behind me on the highway!!!!!

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woo-Raiders
David Shillington

Re: See you there people!!!!!

Post by Woo-Raiders »

I couldn't sleep longer even today is Saturday. I woke up at about 5:30am and went to the garage to get today's Canberra Time at about 7:00am. Mathew Evans has already been there, too.

Can't wait. :cmon
j raid
Peter Jackson

Post by j raid »

Raiders game day = Christmas day(as a seven year old) for me.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

You saw in last nights game the intensity that is needed in a Finals game , the defence was brutal ( Im glad we are getting Shillo ) and the attack was freakish at times. We must bring this to the game , Im believe we have some of the most levelled headed guys in the comp , they are not up themselves and are well grounded, this will be a good base for todays game.
Lets bring it boys.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

the sharks would prolly come out with the same intensity in defense as seen last night.. if that is the case.. we really shouldnt try to bring herb back if he's not 100% fit
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lime Green wrote:The match will be streamed live at http://****/thumperstu for those without access to the broadcast.
I've got a feeling we could see Herbert to half, Buttriss to the bench, Chalk in for Kelly and Kelly - just a feeling...
If it turns out like that I'll be happy. I know Kelly is trying hard, but we can't afford the couple of errors a game he makes...not in a final. Chalk + Best would be a safer option.

I still have a feeling Kelly will play, though.
he is an untried 2nd rower as well...maybe there is an option to leave him on the bench and play him only as a 2nd rower
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Resurgent Raiders give Henry deja vu
Dan Koch | September 13, 2008

CANBERRA coach Neil Henry believes his unheralded line-up can make a serious impression on this year's finals series, comparing his Raiders to the North Queensland Cowboys outfit he helped guide to within a whisker of the 2004 grand final.

Despite running in more tries than any other team in the competition this season, Canberra heads into tonight's match against Ricky Stuart's Sharks side as a heavy underdog.

The home side, on paper at least, appears to hold a decisive edge when it comes to big-game experience. However, Henry said his experience as assistant coach of the Cowboys during their play-off runs in 2004 and 2005 gave him confidence his young side would not be simply making up the numbers.

"Being with the Cowboys in 2004 and 2005, I got a taste for finals football and what is required to be successful in the finals," Henry said.

"I can certainly see a few similarities between this year and the Cowboys side of 2004. While (North Queensland) finished in seventh, we actually came into the finals with plenty of momentum and confidence in our football side, and I think at this time of year that is as important a commodity as anything."

The Raiders, who finished the regular season in sixth spot, enter the finals riding a similar wave of public support and confidence, with wins in six of their past nine matches.

It is exactly the same record the Cowboys took into the 2004 finals, when they knocked off the second-placed Bulldogs, before eliminating the Broncos with a gritty 10-0 win at home the following week.

Their dream run came to a heartbreaking and somewhat controversial conclusion when they were knocked off 19-16 by the Roosters, who were at that stage coached by Stuart.

"The fact both sides are regional teams, there is great community support. The whole town has really got behind the boys, so there is a wonderful feeling around the place," Henry said.

"But we aren't under any illusions about the task in front of us. The Sharks have been outstanding all year and deserve to enter the game as favourites.

"Ricky has done a wonderful job with them and I know he will have them primed for this game.

"In terms of challenges for a coach, I mean, Ricky has won a competition, coached a couple more sides to grand finals, coached an Origin series win and is now in charge of the national team.

"He has done it all in a fairly short space of time as well, so it's a big challenge for everyone, myself included. But we are all looking forward to it."

The similarities continue with the make-up of the 2004 Cowboys and this year's Raiders, with both sides led by hard-working veteran lock forwards.

In North Queensland it was Travis Norton, while the Green Machine's on-field inspiration comes from tireless red-head Alan Tongue.

One of the game's most affable yet respected players and skippers, Tongue was rewarded for his efforts in leading the injury-ravaged Canberra side to the finals by being named captain of the year at Tuesday night's Dally M medal presentations.

It secured a prize treble for the Raiders after Henry collected the gong as the NRL coach of the year.

Henry, who will return to North Queensland on a five-year deal next season, was quick to deflect praise to his tireless on-field leader, labelling him the "perfect" man to steer the Raiders back to the top of the ladder in the years to come.

"One of Alan's great attributes is his humility and it is a big part of the way he goes about things on and off the field," Henry said.

"What you see is what you get with him. He is just a fantastic leader of the club and he certainly makes my job at the club much easier. There is a wonderful line of communication there between the players and all of the coaching staff because Alan is so approachable.

"He is a great thinker about the game and also about the club and everything that goes on here.

"Alan is obviously a guy who leads by example and, as I said, the thing with him is that it is a role he is very comfortable in because it is who he is.

"It is not a chore for him, he is a leader and an inspiration through the way he carries himself, publicly and privately.

"He loves the club and he loves being captain of the club. From a coach's perspective, the bloke is the complete package."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 31,00.html
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Woo-Raiders wrote:I couldn't sleep longer even today is Saturday. I woke up at about 5:30am and went to the garage to get today's Canberra Time at about 7:00am. Mathew Evans has already been there, too.

Can't wait. :cmon
Look at me, I am up at 9:10! :shock:

This is quite rare.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Suspended Greg Bird still looking for ways to play
By Josh Massoud | September 13, 2008

Still trying to get a game...Greg Bird.

GREG Bird's attempt to play again this season has taken another twist, with the suspended Sharks star investigating options to return in today's NSW Cup finals.

A day after his agent pleaded with NRL boss David Gallop to lift the ban, it emerged that Bird has spoken with members of Sharks' feeder side Cronulla Cobras about the possibility of taking the field in this afternoon's sudden-death semi against Wentworthville at Ringrose Park.

The Daily Telegraph understands Bird was ready to play in the match, with NSWRL eligibility rules allowing him to take the field despite representing Australia this year. Needing a win to stay alive, Cobras players were equally keen on accommodating Bird and approached him earlier in the week.

It is believed the idea was discussed with Cobras coach and Bird's former Cronulla teammate Lance Thompson, who has led the Cobras to an incredible revival since taking over when the team was 0-9 midway through the season.

Thompson, however, did not raise the proposal with Sharks officials. Cronulla CEO Tony Zappia last night said: "I think there was a push from some of the players but nothing came to me. In any case, we would not have let it happen because a decision has been made to stand Greg down until his court case (on October 8)."

Although unsuccessful, the renewed attempt to return is evidence of Bird's determination not to give up on this season.

The 24-year-old cannot understand why he is prevented from playing when he is yet to face court, given fellow NRL players such as Anthony Laffranchi and Wes Naqaima were previously allowed to continue while they awaited trial.

Although he is barred from training with the NRL side, Bird maintained fitness on his own and is still in close contact with his teammates.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 66,00.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sharks enforcer floored by kids
By James Phelps | September 12, 2008

Role model...Sharks captain Paul Gallen.

PAUL Gallen looked down at the letters. There were hundreds of them. Emails, too. It was then he had a revelation: "Maybe I am a role model," Gallen said.

"When I was growing up, blokes like Brad Fittler and Brad Clyde were my heroes. They were real role models. Me, I'm just a westie kid who likes riding motorbikes and playing rugby league. I'm no celebrity. No superstar."

Or so he thought. Then Sharks CEO Tony Zappia dragged him into his office and showed him the letters. Showed him, in plain black and white, what people thought of him. Thought of the moment when he raked his hand across a bloody bandage strapped to the head of Titans star Anthony Laffranchi. And it wasn't good.

"I couldn't believe it," Gallen said. "I thought it was nothing at the time. Just something that should have stayed on the field.

"But when I looked at all the letters, the things they were saying, I guess it was then I realised I was a role model. The captain of the Sharks. For some reason, kids look up to me."

Gallen has been called many things. Grub. Dirty. Dog.

All harsh words which in no way describe the 102kg enforcer. Not the real Paul Gallen, anyway.

A bloke who commands respect from teammates. Is feared by rivals. And adored by the sick kids he visits in hospital every week. He's the first bloke to shout a round at the pub. The first to put his hand up for charity work. And the first to lend an ear when times are tough.

But there is no doubting this bloke's aggression.

He is 102kg of pure destruction. TNT to his rivals. A general to his teammates. He hurtles towards the defensive line with a snarl. Smashes into bodies without fear, without hesitation. And fights. Fights for everything on the field. Inches, calls and penalties.

And he's a bloke you don't want to provoke. All muscle. Benches more than anyone at the Sharks. Cage fights in his spare time, too.

So where does all that mongrel come from? "I guess I am a bit angry at times," he shrugs. "I have got mongrel in me, for sure. I've always (it) and it hasn't been the best thing at times. I've certainly been touched up because of it."

The raw aggression doesn't come from his father. No fire and brimstone there. His mother is all love and kisses.

"Maybe it was the kids in my street," Gallen says. "That's all I can think of. I was the youngest in the street and I always played football with them. They were all tough and belted me a bit."

The real Gallen is a complicated person. Stripped bare, he is a man driven by the fear of failure who enjoys proving detractors wrong.

"I quit after a couple of years at Parramatta," he reflects. "I've always been the same build. Never the tallest but always pretty solid. I've always had some decent legs on me but I've always been short.

"It really worried me when I was at Parra in the SG Ball team. I knew Brian Smith liked tall back-rowers and at the end of that year they didn't re-sign me. I remember talking to Noel Cleal, he said the one thing you can't do is grow taller. The rest is up to you."

So he hit the weights. Started running every night. Tortured his body, and it responded.

"I was just playing weekends with my mates and my school," Gallen recalls. "I was training really hard and my school team was going pretty well. Then I made the Australian Schoolboys side. I realised I could play then, and after that Cronulla signed me."

However, not long after moving to the Shire, "Big Gal" almost quit to become a plumber.

"Yeah, I was enjoying my football but I was struggling," he said. "I wasn't on any money then and they just paid for my rent. I had to work and my boss looked after me. He was enormous.

"I was leaving home at 5am and getting home at 5pm. And then I'd have to train. It was tough and I thought about quitting, but my boss talked me out of it. In round 11 of that year (2002), I made my first-grade debut. I got a $5000 bonus and that was it. I had no doubts after that. It was heaven."

Fast-forward to 2008 and Gallen is the reluctant star. A Test and NSW Origin enforcer. And the captain who could, just maybe, lead the Sharks to their first title.

"I still have to do the little things," he said. "I still have to train hard. I pride myself on it."

So maybe that's why Gallen gets into trouble every now and then. But he's realised there's a line, a line he doesn't want to cross again.

Not for his sake but for the kids. Those who take the time to write those letters. Those letters which hurt so much.

"(Getting suspended) hurt the team," Gallen said. "Hurt me, too, because I saw all the letters. Kids don't lie and they're the people I don't want to let down. It is a tough job but I think I'm finally ready for it."

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dally M 'brush' fires up Sharks
By Nick Walshaw | September 13, 2008

Dally M motivation...Cronulla halfback Brett Kimmorley.

CRONULLA halfback Brett Kimmorley sat through all those Dally M tallies, trophies and tributes thinking: "Why are we even here?"

Yesterday coach Ricky Stuart put every Sharks player on that table with him.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Stuart is using their Dally M snubbing as motivation for tonight's finals blockbuster with Canberra at Toyota Park.

Addressing the team after their final training run, the coach spoke passionately about receiving the cold shoulder and how Dally M winners "had done nothing yet".

"It was spoken about, yeah," Kimmorley said when asked about their Dally M snub.

"Just about how we haven't received the accolades that others have this year.

"I mean, for those of us who attended on Tuesday night, it was like, 'Why are we even here?' We weren't really used in the highlights packages or anything.

"I thought Luke Covell was a standout for winger of the year and Paul Gallen would also have been close in the back-row.

"Same with Sticky (Stuart). We were in the same situation as Canberra last year and now we've finished ahead of them . . . so you'd have to think he was unlucky to miss out."

Adding further spice to tonight's clash is the fact Canberra cleaned up at the black-tie dinner.

That was despite finishing three places and eight points behind Cronulla on the NRL ladder.

Raiders skipper Alan Tongue won both Dally M captain and lock, Colin Best was named Dally M winger and Neil Henry Dally M coach.

"But Sticky just reminded us that while other sides might be getting all the glory, no one has really done anything yet," Sharks fullback Brett Kearney added.

"We were surprised that a few of our guys didn't get a mention, Paul Gallen in particular. But we've been the underdogs all year really and that suits us.

"And as far as motivation goes, this is a semi-final . . . we really shouldn't need anything more motivating than that."

While they may have missed out at the Dally Ms, Cronulla were still listed as $1.40 favourites with TAB Sportsbet yesterday.

The Shire boys have also won five of their past six clashes with the Raiders, who have been rated by the bookies as $2.80 shots.

The Green Brigade have been buoyed, however, by whispers suggesting rookie halfback Marc Herbert would return from a knee injury, despite his name not appearing in official team lists.

Herbert had been ruled out for the year but, according to reports, the young Raider had a cortisone injection a fortnight ago and began straight-line running last week.

The Sharks are expecting him to replace Glen Buttriss in the starting halfback role tonight.

"Yeah, apparently it looks like he's going to play," Kearney said.

"He's only a young guy but he would definitely add something to their side."

Kimmorley added: "Our main focus will be on our own attack. We've hit a bit of a purple patch in recent weeks and found a style of footy we're all happy with.

"So if other people don't believe in us, that's fine. We do."

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sharks feeling fresher, not pressure: Kimmorley
Greg Prichard | September 13, 2008

IT IS easy to believe Sharks halfback Brett Kimmorley when he says he welcomes the added pressure that comes with playing finals football. There is ample proof that he thrives, rather than wilts, under it.

But the rest of the Cronulla players are not nearly as experienced as Kimmorley is at the play-off caper. Eight of their 17-man squad for tonight's game against Canberra have never even played beyond the regular season.

Should Sharks fans - who have been waiting for a premiership since the club's inception in 1967 - be worried about them?

The short answer from the veteran halfback is no. Asked to explain why, he provides a compelling argument to support the theory that Cronulla can go deep into this finals series.

It is about preparation, and understanding, and belief. And team, the word Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart uses most to describe the group of players he has under his control - a real team. There are no outrageous predictions coming out of the Sutherland Shire, but the Sharks, Kimmorley believes, are ready to go.

"I don't think we're a team that is going to struggle, because we've been consistent all year," Kimmorley said yesterday. "We've known for a while that we were going to be there, so as much as we've been preparing for week-to-week games towards the end of the regular season, we've been getting ready to play in the finals.

"We've been playing big games for a few weeks now, to try to get a high place on the table, and we've been talking about what's beyond that, so it's not as if it's suddenly going to jump on us."

Kimmorley is one of only two Sharks players with grand final-winning experience. He did it as chief playmaker for Melbourne when they beat St George Illawarra 20-18 in the memorable 1999 decider.

The other is front-rower Ben Ross, who came off the interchange bench for Penrith when they won in 2003.

Kimmorley has played in 13 finals games. The next most experienced for the Sharks is well-travelled prop Adam Peek, with four. The team total is only 31.

Under those circumstances, it is only natural to wonder if some of those Cronulla players who are new to the landscape, or only slightly familiar with it, might get lost going down this road, but Kimmorley says there has been no indication that anyone needs a guide to handling the pressure.

"Our preparation's been fine," he said. "Everyone's been nice and relaxed. Unless you get a feeling that guys are a bit affected, a bit erratic, there is no need to talk about it. They all look like their week has been good and they are getting their heads right. All of the guys know they should expect finals games to have a faster tempo, and a greater intensity.

"We've got to go out there and enjoy the ride. Some players get overawed by playing finals footy, and some players grab the opportunity. We've got to grab it, and take it on."

Kimmorley, who celebrates his 32nd birthday on Monday, pointed to Stuart's immense experience and proven success in finals football during his playing days with Canberra and his successful coaching stint at the Roosters. That shapes as a big plus for the Sharks.

"He knows exactly what he is talking about," the former NSW and Australian playmaker said. "We don't have the Rocky music playing. He knows what we've got as a football team, so in the last couple of weeks we've been training with more intensity and focusing more on video.

"Apart from that, it's been about getting tighter as a group, going into the finals series. We trained today and then had lunch together - just a good bunch of blokes having a feed and enjoying each other's company."

The only team with less play-off experience than Cronulla among the remaining eight teams is Canberra, whose players have 29 finals appearances between them. But, just like he says it is attitude, rather than numbers, that matters most with his side, Kimmorley said how the Raiders turned up at Toyota Stadium would depend on how they have approached the game.

"They could have no fear, or they could panic," he said. "It all depends on their preparation.

"We've got a home game, but that doesn't mean we're going to win. We have to make sure we compete at a really high level, for a start. Then you've got to do the simple things right and make smart decisions.

"And, if something goes wrong, you don't panic. You stick to your plan. If you're a good team, you don't lose sight of what got you this far."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/sh ... ntentSwap1
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

i'm so excited,good luck to both teams, so spewin i couldn't get a ticket. i hope i see j carney run out for kelly and a fit herby run out, that would boost our chances by heaps, go raiders
raider 4 life
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Boys, its about 27 degrees and windy as hell in Wollongong this morning - it should be no different in souther Sydney.

Looks like it could be a pretty dry, fast track tonight. :D
xtr-33m
Brett Mullins

Post by xtr-33m »

I'm really not sure what to expect this game. But the stats favour us, since 1999 5/9 6th place teams have won first round against 3rd place. Lets home that trend continues!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

There are possible storms predicted for Sydney this avo and tonight. I hope the warm weather doesnt bother the boys tonight, as it seemed to in townsville the other day. However, I have a very good feeling about this game as long as Henry doesnt put kelly marking up on covell. Dont get me wrong, Covell sucks but Kelly is even worse :( I cannot wait for Jaycar to return.

:clap: Go the RAIDERS :thumbsup
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Michael wrote:Boys, its about 27 degrees and windy as hell in Wollongong this morning - it should be no different in souther Sydney.

Looks like it could be a pretty dry, fast track tonight. :D
Not extremely windy in the CBD but you can tell its going to be a hot day. As long as the storms hold off it all looks good. Cannot wait to sink a few cold brewskies and get pumped about the game. Although don't feel so crash hot after getting up early after a big night due to nerves.

:lol:
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

nemesis wrote:i'm so excited,good luck to both teams, so spewin i couldn't get a ticket. i hope i see j carney run out for kelly and a fit herby run out, that would boost our chances by heaps, go raiders
Still General Admission available and I think a few forumers have some spare tickets. Get on it!
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

yeh raiders wrote: However, I have a very good feeling about this game as long as Henry doesnt put kelly marking up on covell. Dont get me wrong, Covell sucks but Kelly is even worse
Dude, for the fifty-second time, Kelly and Covell both play left wing - they won't be marking up against eachother!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

nemesis wrote:i'm so excited,good luck to both teams, so spewin i couldn't get a ticket. i hope i see j carney run out for kelly and a fit herby run out, that would boost our chances by heaps, go raiders
I have 3 tickets available, away supporters bay.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders have the desire, but need quick start
BY PETER FITZGERALD

If it comes down to self-belief, Raiders captain Alan Tongue has no doubt his team can do it.

As they have for most of the NRL season, the Canberra Raiders will enter tonight's semi-final against the Cronulla Sharks as underdogs.

But there were no signs at training yesterday that the Raiders were lacking confidence of causing an upset.

Brimming with an inner desire to succeed, the Raiders finalised their preparations for tonight's game with a contact session at the club's headquarters, before flying to Sydney.

Tongue believed a will to win and desire to do it for each other would lead his team to victory tonight, securing a home semi-final next weekend.

''We're committed to the game plan, we're committed to each other,'' the skipper said.

''We've got 17 players committed to doing it, to going up there and winning, and that's all that matters.''

While commitment and dedication are vital to their chances of beating Cronulla, Tongue also acknowledged his team had to improve its start to give itself maximum opportunity for success tonight.

The Raiders have been slow off the mark the past three weeks. Against the South Sydney Rabbitohs in round24, Canberra trailed 12-0 early and 19-6 at half-time.

They then let the North Queensland Cowboys escape to a 22-0 lead the following week before allowing the Bulldogs to score first at Canberra Stadium last weekend.

Tongue insisted his team had to either score first tonight or at least not concede back-to-back early tries to give itself any chance.

''We know the mentality we need to take into the game, we know what we have to do, and being on our game from the first kick-off is really important,'' he said.

''We need to control possession, have a good kick-chase game, get on top of our opponents and get into the rhythm of the game early.

''We don't expect to survive if we let the Sharks sneak away on us.''

Coach Neil Henry supported his captain's view.

Henry predicted the Sharks would be easier to hold out early in the game than Canberra's past three opponents, due to what was at stake.

''The sides we were playing the past three weeks, they were out of contention, they threw the ball around and we seemed nervous and unsettled and came unstuck,'' he said.

''We probably threw the ball around too much ourselves which didn't help either.

''The Sharks, they'll probably have a different approach and they won't give us that same latitude.''

Henry insisted he would make no late changes to his starting team for tonight's clash.

Marshall Chalk was earlier in the week considered a chance to force his way into the run-on team but Henry yesterday ruled that option out.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 71581.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green Machine becomes the dream team
BY JOHN-PAUL MOLONEY

His team has been threatened with a wooden spoon more times than a ratbag child.

Workman-like, gutsy but lacking star power, the Canberra Raiders of the recent past haven't been premiership contenders in any but the greenest of eyes.

So how did team captain Alan Tongue feel in late 2006 when the NRL asked him to join 15 club captains and raise the premiership trophy for a TV commercial aimed at giving every fan hope?

Did he feel like an imposter? Did he feel unworthy to put fingerprints on the latest version of a trophy the great Mal Meninga raised in 1989, 1990 and 1994?

Not at all.

The much-respected Raiders leader Tongue, who drew special praise from Meninga at the club's awards night on Wednesday, recalled this week the rush of excitement he felt lifting the heavy trophy for the first time, even if it was just for show.

''I just felt 'imagine what it would be like if this was us come October and I'm in this situation','' Tongue said.

''Imagine what it would be like for the rest of my teammates, for my family, for the fans who've been so loyal and supported us through thick and thin, especially since I've been here.

''It's been a huge rollercoaster of rebuilding, coming and going players and coaches in the last few years.

''All those thoughts go through your mind. The promotion only went for a couple of hours, but that's all right, you dream while you can and then you hook back into training.''

Tongue's premiership dream last year was well and truly extinguished by October as the team finished the season third from last. This year though it is burning brighter than ever, even if it's still a humble flame against those of rivals Melbourne and Manly.

But their $34 premiership odds prove few think they can go any deeper than week two.

Coach Neil Henry said, ''We certainly don't feel we've overachieved. We've played the football we're capable of playing and we need to step it up and be more than a nuisance value in the finals, which there's a perception is all we'll be.''

The most heart-warming thing about this Raiders finals charge, the thing that has made outsiders stop and admire them for the first time in a long while, is the modest quality of the roster.

They have just one 2008 State of Origin player, Joel Monaghan, and one former player, Neville Costigan. There are no Australian representatives.

The one player with the biggest long-term rep hopes, Todd Carney, has been banished from the club and the league. Injuries have whittled the squad down to its barest number a mob massaged, iced and strapped together each week.

Yet if you ask Tongue, there's a lot to be said for a depleted, no-star team.

Managing and leading it on the field is easier for one thing. It knows it has to stick together and can't rely on a handful of gamebreakers.

And a lack of big-name players and the accompanying egos has also helped keep the Raiders together off the field, particularly in this, one of the club's toughest years.

Henry's shock decision to exit his contract early at season's end rocked the club in April. Outsiders feared Henry's authority would fail and the team would flounder, but coaches and players stayed true to their course.

Then in July, Carney and Bronx Goodwin were stood down for alcohol-related incidents, eventually leading to poster boy Carney's sacking.

Incredibly, losing its best player for good seemed to harden the team's resolve.

Not that Tongue pretends it was easy.

''There's no doubt [the Henry and Carney episodes] were very difficult. You can't just say 'we moved on' because there were decisions made that didn't sit well with a lot of people,'' Tongue said.

Henry has endured a season of contrasts he was the unofficial public enemy No 1 among Raiders faithful after his decision to leave, then this week named NRL Coach of the Year.

Proud of getting his team where it is today, when Henry talks about how the group got through a season punctuated by tension and turmoil he uses the word ''honesty'' a lot.

Asked if the word was a euphemism for harsh words behind closed doors, the North Queensland-bound coach laughed and gave his qualified agreement.

''You don't profess to know all there is to know about rugby league and you don't always get it right,'' Henry said.

''The thing is admitting when you don't get it right or reacting to criticism and feedback. As long as you do that you go a long way to getting results out of players.''

In terms of attack, the Raiders' results have been spectacular and another endearing quality of their campaign.

Led by surging talent and five-eighth Campese, the Raiders finished the season with their second best home-and-away points tally (640), behind the 677 scored by the 1994 premiership team.

This year's season average 26.6 points per game ranks in the top five in Raiders history, taking into account the extra two games played compared to the 22-match seasons of the 1990s.

Henry said the attacking freedom shown late in the season wasn't the result of risking all as injuries and the odds against them stacked up.

''It's taken us a while to play this style,'' Henry said.

''We tried to play like this last year but we just didn't have the ball control. We haven't just said 'let's throw the ball around'. We're playing a style that we think can test opposition lines.''

Henry said he saw similarities between the Raiders of 2008 and North Queensland teams of three and four years ago. Henry was an assistant coach when the Cowboys made the finals in 2004 and then the grand final in 2005 and he will take charge of the team from next season.

''We probably don't have the gamebreakers here like the [Matt] Bowens and [Johnathan] Thurstons,'' Henry said.

''But certainly we're a hard-working team and in our own right players like Terry Campese and Colin Best and Joel Monaghan are up there with the best in terms of linebreaks and creating opportunities.''

Henry's assistant coach and incoming head coach David Furner saw similarities with an earlier vintage contender the last Raiders premiership team, in which he won the Clive Churchill medal for best player on ground.

''I see the same kind of enjoyment among the players of going out and playing with one another and that's a massive thing,'' Furner said.

''If you stand side-by-side and look at the players around you and feel confident in them, you're on your way. I see that kind of confidence in the players and I think the club atmosphere is the same as it was back in 1994.''

Tongue, the fan's favourite who finally received national recognition this week when he was named Captain of the Year and Lock of the Year at the Dally M awards, hasn't hitched his premiership belief to any previous team, not even the Wests Tigers of 2005 whose run to the title was a triumph for the underdog.

But there are parallels.

The Tigers had almost no representative experience, had been written off by bookmakers before and during the season, had made their charge into the top eight in the last 10 weeks of the season and were then richly rewarded at the Dally M awards, where Tim Sheens won Coach of the Year and Scott Prince Captain of the Year.

While he's allowed himself to dream a little this week, the realist in Tongue knows that bleeding 81 points in the last three games is a reality check for the Raiders.

''We've talked about the fact that we need to be far better than we've been. There's no illusions there,'' Tongue said.

So what then is Tongue's inspiration? What sustains his dream of lifting the NRL trophy for real after doing it for show two years ago?

''I'm drawing on the positive things we've done this year to get us where we are,'' he said.

''It's about working hard, being committed to the game plan and the style we're playing.

''And really, look what we've come through. Look at what's got us here.

''Let's hold onto that and take it into the finals and get through.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 71580.aspx
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher

Post by GreenSoul »

Interesting that we've abandoned the bus? We haven't lost since we started doing that!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders fans take bit out of Shark Park
BY DANIEL MACDONALD

With lime green blood pumping through their veins, hundreds of Canberra Raiders fans will travel up the Hume Highway ahead of what is shaping to be a classic final against Cronulla tonight at Shark Park.

So keen are they to see their team progress in what has been billed by many as a dream season, they have almost booked out Cronulla's accommodation.

Even the players they'll be watching tonight have been forced to bunk down in Coogee and travel south for the highly anticipated encounter.

Some spectators have been forced to return to the ACT straight after the match.

But ask those diehard fans, the ones who have rocked along the Raiders roller coaster this year, and they'll say it will all be worth it.

Todd Carney's axing, Neil Henry's departure and the countless injuries have had the faithful followers on the edge of their seats all season and at least four bus loads of them want more.

The Raiders are arguably the most exciting team left in the competition, a stunning turnaround from 2007's disappointing year.

Named wooden-spoon favourites pre-season, the Raiders silenced their critics winning four Dally M awards this week; Henry won Coach of the Year, Colin Best claimed Winger of the Year honours and Alan Tongue took out both Captain and Lock of the Year.

All of Shark Park's reserved seating sold out in the first 25 minutes of trade last Monday morning.

There was never a doubt Queanbeyan's Nick Vandelight, 26, would miss out on the match and he was part of the Monday rush for a ticket.

''Out of all the away games I have been to this season this will be the biggest and best especially with the number of Raiders supporters that I know are heading to Cronulla for the game,'' he said. Simon Rohan, 28, from Banks has felt all the Raiders' highs and lows for the past 16 years.

He's heard each criticism Canberra's endured and has refused to take notice of the knockers.

''We put a lot into each season to rally support, and the numbers have just about doubled each year,'' Mr Rohan said.

''So for those of us that have stood by them all this time, this is our reward.''

And the players love it.

After the team's final training run yesterday and before their short flight to Sydney, Raiders captain Alan Tongue said, ''There's no doubt that will help us because the Sharks supporters are pretty passionate and will be pretty vocal''.

''We love our fans and we love the fact so many of them are making the trip this weekend ...''

And hoping to ride the success for three more years is the club's major sponsor the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union which yesterday extended its deal with the Raiders until 2011.

The union was already on board as the club's major backer until the end of next season but opted for an early two-year extension.

The deal is believed to be worth about $750,000 per season.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner believed the union's continuing commitment would ensure the club remained in Canberra.

''The CFMEU jumped on board when we didn't have a major sponsor and even before that they were involved in sponsorship of our junior development programs so it's not like they've joined in just as we've started to go pretty well on the field again,'' Mr Furner said.

''You need these great relationships to continue to keep the Raiders in Canberra so this is a great day for the future of this football club.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 71579.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Holding nerve key against Shark net
BY PETER FITZGERALD

It's the ''entertainers'' versus the ''fun police''.

Tonight's NRL semi-final between the Canberra Raiders and Cronulla Sharks is the classic contrasting match-up.

Canberra is the team which throws the ball around and seemingly plays outside the rules.

Cronulla sticks to the guidelines, like goodie-two-shoes school kids who never think outside the square.

Let's be frank. The Sharks play a boring brand of rugby league.

Effective, but often boring.

They have been the NRL's best defensive team in 2008.

They are ruthless, even stingy.

They give opposition sides nothing, frustrating them.

Tonight, they'll stick to what they know best.

They'll grind away up the middle before halfback Brett Kimmorley kicks high and wide to Luke Covell and Ben Pomeroy.

They'll make the Raiders work in defence in the hope the Green Machine loses composure and moves away from what it had planned to do.

They'll try to get the Raiders to panic and rush their moves.

It's what the Sharks do best.

What the Raiders do best is play a brand of rugby league people love to watch.

They love to throw the ball around.

They're not afraid to go wide on the first tackle inside their own 20m zone.

They're not afraid to kick early, to try things they hadn't practised at training.

As far as attack goes, the Raiders need to avoid crawling into a shell.

Teams traditionally place more emphasis on defence than attack in finals footy.

And while Canberra needs to tighten up its defence, it can ill-afford to do that at the expense of its free-flowing attack.

Terry Campese and Joel Monaghan again loom as the Raiders' key men.

They've linked well together the past three months with Campese's cross-field kicks to Monaghan leading to plenty of Canberra tries.

On the other side of the field looms Colin Best, officially the best winger in the NRL this season following Tuesday night's Dally M awards.

One-on-one, Best is in a class of his own.

He can palm off defenders all night and, if given the chance, has the ability to be a real pest to the Sharks.

Cronulla halfback Kimmorley can be more than a pest himself.

The veteran No7 taught the Raiders a rugby league lesson when the teams last clashed at Canberra Stadium in round 16.

His kicking game was the difference and Canberra must nullify that tonight.

Paul Gallen is the Sharks' other danger man. He intimidates his opponents in both attack and defence. He'll try to bully his way past the Raiders but the Green Machine can't allow him to dictate.

If you base your predictions purely on statistics, it's line-ball tonight.

The Raiders have a terrible recent finals record, having lost seven of their past eight play-off games.

They haven't won a finals match away from Canberra since 1995.

At Toyota Stadium, the venue of tonight's game, they have lost both finals games they have played there.

But statistics won't get them home tonight.

Shutting down Kimmorley will.

Roughing up Gallen will.

Playing their natural game in front of a hostile crowd will.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 71582.aspx