Moderator: GH Moderators

Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Fan sues Raiders for injuries

Post by Gillfish »

Fan sues Raiders for injuries
BY VICTOR VIOLANTE

A Canberra Raiders fan is suing the club for injuries he suffered during a half-time competition at Canberra Stadium two years ago.

Jason Cooper was selected from the crowd during a Raiders game against the Brisbane Broncos on the afternoon of August 6, 2006, to take part in a competition as part of the half-time entertainment that involved catching footballs in a milk crate.

Pitted against another spectator, the object of the game was to catch as many of the five footballs that Raiders player Bronx Goodwin kicked from behind a makeshift partition. Canberra Milk was a club sponsor at the time.

During one attempt, Mr Cooper dived with the crate to catch a ball, landing awkwardly and hitting his head ''violently'' on the ground or crate. He was rendered unconscious and had to be stretchered from the field.

In a statement of claim lodged with the ACT Supreme Court earlier this year, Mr Cooper said the incident resulted in spinal injuries that had prevented him from working as a tiler since. He has also suffered depression.

Mr Cooper alleges a Raiders representative initially offered to pay his medical expenses, but reneged and instead offered him six tickets to a Raiders home game as compensation.

Mr Cooper refused the offer, and now seeks unspecified damages, alleging his injuries were a direct result of a breach of duty of care owed to him by the club.

The claim alleges that he received no instruction about how to play the game safely, and the incentive of a Canberra Milk prize pack for the winner encouraged diving.

''The [Raiders] owed the plaintiff a duty to properly and fully explain the risks of participating in the competition and in particular to warn [him] against the risk of diving with a milk crate in his hands in an attempt to catch any football,'' the claim states.

The Raiders are yet to file a defence, and the case is listed for a directions hearing in the Supreme Court this morning.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 69357.aspx
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: Fan sues Raiders for injuries

Post by Butters »

Gillfish wrote: ''The [Raiders] owed the plaintiff a duty to properly and fully explain the risks of participating in the competition and in particular to warn [him] against the risk of diving with a milk crate in his hands in an attempt to catch any football,'' the claim states.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

i recall the incident vivdly as to this day it is still the single greatest peice of half time entertainment ive ever witness, absolutely hilarious stuff. :lol: :lol:
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Post by The Naked Zombie »

I remember that - it was hilarious! Paired with the Raiders winning and an appearance from that fat bloke who got stuck in a mine, it made for a top day out.

What a though, nobody deserves compensation for being an unco-ordinated nugget. He should've been happy with the free tickets.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Man that reporter has a cool name.
Dr. Alex
Brett Mullins

Post by Dr. Alex »

Whos doing law here? How much would do you reckon he can get? Can he even sue for this?
1982 till Eternity
Brett Mullins

Post by 1982 till Eternity »

If he got spinal injuries and is suffering from depression, then its probably not that funny

I remember laughing (very hard) at the time, but to hear he is doing it tough makes it a bit hard to still find it funny

From a legal perspective, it is going to be hard to show that "the incentive of a Canberra Milk prize pack for the winner encouraged diving"

I dont know about diving for that?? Fair enough if $10,000 was up for grabs, but to say he was compelled to dive for a Canberra Milk pack is a bit of a stretch.

I think he may get some damages, but these will be greatly reduced by contributory negligence (i.e. If someone hurts themself through a reckless act, then the amount they can sue is reduced in accordance with their reckless conduct).
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

He can sue, I kinda doubt whether it will be successful though - when you enter a competition like that its pretty self-evident what the risks are.

As 1982 said, he'll probably get some damages, but the contributory negligence would be off the freaking charts in this case. But I've forgotten most of what I learnt in contract and tort law - Sossman is the man to speak to. That boy knows his stuff...
Last edited by Michael on September 11, 2008, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1982 till Eternity
Brett Mullins

Edwahu wrote:
Man that reporter has a cool name.
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao so true - he should be a wrestler with that name
1982 till Eternity
Brett Mullins

Michael wrote:
He can sue, I kinda doubt whether it will be successful though - when you enter a competition like that its pretty self-evident what the risks are. But I've forgotten most of what I learnt in contract law - Sossman is the man to speak to. That boy knows his stuff...

Dont think this involves contract law - I think it would be tort law. He is suing for negligence and thats where the duty of care comes into it.

He will need to show
1) Raiders owed him a duty of care - Yes IMO
2) That duty of care was breached - Maybe IMO
3) That breach of the duty of care caused the injuries - No IMO

I did tort law 7 years ago and I may be wrong but I think thats the thrust of it
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by GreenSoul »

Dr. Alex wrote:Whos doing law here? How much would do you reckon he can get? Can he even sue for this?
Im studying law and I worked in an insurance law firm for a year.

The broad answer is yes, he can sue. Whether he is successful and how much he gets will depend on the facts of the case, the extent of his injuries etc.

You'd be suprised how many people still get payouts for the old 'slipped on the icecream at the shopping centre' claim.
1982 till Eternity
Brett Mullins

Sorry Michael - I didnt notice that you did mention tort law. It may be contract law, I nearly failed that class but I cant see it.

Like you said, contributory negligence must be an issue here - otherwiser the Raiders may have settled.

I think this could have been avoided if they just gave him the Canberra Milk prize..he obviously loves his Canberra Milk more then Bradley Clyde :lol:
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I remember that... how could you guys say it was hilarious?

Sure, falling on his ass is funny, but when he lies there unconscious for 5 mins and has to be carried off by a stretcher... come on, show some sympathy.

In my opinion, diving was an absolutely stupid thing to do and its entirely his own fault... but because of it he's been supposedly unable to work and make a living, if you were somehow in his situation, although not many would be stupid enough to dive with one of those things, you'd sue the club as well.

The guy was probably then, and probably still is now a Raiders supporter... just one with a crippling spinal injury who can get his hands on a payout.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If this guy is sucessful then I can envision the class action from all those poor sods who got smashed everytime they played that "giant footy" game.
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

I remember this lol. It looked liked it really would of hurt, fully ate the milk crate he did.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

The fact that he's injured makes it even more hilarious if you ask me :lol:
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

GCR wrote:The fact that he's injured makes it even more hilarious if you ask me :lol:
Injured... yes

Made into a paraplegic... no
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I freely admit to having a sick sense of humour
the **** dove with a freaking crete in hand to catch a footy 5 metres off his position, for a canberra milk prize pack.
injury or not, Its piss funny :lol:
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Raider_69 wrote:I freely admit to having a sick sense of humour
the **** dove with a freaking crete in hand to catch a footy 5 metres off his position, for a canberra milk prize pack.
Does anyone have any vids of this??????????
deeman82
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by deeman82 »

HAHAHAHA wow i was there for that game, went there with a heap of mates and sat infrotn of the army was pretty funny, until he didnt move much then every1 was like WOW he is down or th count. Great day we beat the Broncs
Raiders member no: 6124
Bay 72, Row V, Seat 19
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Lets get this straight, I am laughing at the line "fully explain the risks of diving with a milk crate in his hands in an attempt to catch any football", and the fact that the Raiders could be sued for not explaining the risks. "Now mate, we just need to make sure you understand the risks of diving with a milk crate". Absolutely ridiculous!

Like Nick, I have a sick sense of humor but I don't really find his serious injuries all that hilarious, more so just the whole situation surrounding it.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Karne
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Karne »

:nooo When will these idiots learn to start taking responsibility for their own actions???

What were the Raiders meant to do, physicially throw themselves in front of him to stop him? :roll:
Raiders for the Premiership! Bugger in a couple of years, this year!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We live in an increasingly litigious society thanks in part to an explosion of lawyers/law graduates or vice-versa depending on how you want to approach it. Either way, a good start to bettering the world would be to throw all lawyers into a massive furnace of some sort.
Last edited by Azza on September 11, 2008, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Raider_69 wrote:I freely admit to having a sick sense of humour
It was really funny at the time, the whole crowd laughed as one
Foxhound
Brett Mullins

Post by Foxhound »

:lol:

i have laughed my way through this entire thread. brilliant work by everyone, even those who were being serious.

GCR, love your work as always pal.
GCR wrote:The fact that he's injured makes it even more hilarious if you ask me :lol:
:lol: :clap:

Hope he gets his pay out though, what do we care, it will be covered by our insurance.
2008 Golden Boogs Nominee - Most Underrated Poster
2008 Golden Boogs WINNER - Best Thread Of The Year
RSP
Ken Nagas

Post by RSP »

I'm no legal eagle, but he's milking it if you ask me....
"I just feel incredibly honoured to be able to play for the Raiders" Alan Tongue
Member# 3389
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Malcolm Norman Meninga

Post by Raiders Lime Milk »

Anyone remember in the mid-'90s when the Bate's Pets Paradise mascots used to wander around the field and muck around at half-time? One day during a little league game at half-time, one of the kids who looked heaps older than the rest (there's always one) picked up the person in the bird mascot suit (or was it the dog?) and spear tackled him (or her?) into the turf. The mascot lay there still for ages, dazed and confused, before eventually stumbling off. Probably to hospital.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

My mate got punched in the face by the North Sydney Bears mascott and had to go to hospital - it was great! He didn't take it to court like this inbred, though.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

he should of known the risks...

on grass can you slip over...yes

could you land on the crate...yes

could you hit your head on said crate..yes

;)
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

In the good old days science weeded out those not fit for the progression of the species.
#BoneMcCrone
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Buc Nasty wrote:In the good old days science weeded out those not fit for the progression of the species.
Raider_69 is an advocate of natural selection :thumbsup
love_the_green
Alan Tongue

Post by love_the_green »

Number22 wrote:
Hope he gets his pay out though, what do we care, it will be covered by our insurance.
Hate to be serious for a minute, but if the guy is for real, and he really is unable to work, and has a serious spinal injury as a result, you gotta feel sorry for him, he could have a family to provide for. Sueing the club could be his last resort at providing his family with an income, he may have no other choice.

At the same time, I used to be a milk boy, and we jumped off trucks and ran around all the time with milk crates full of milk, and its bloody obvious that those things are solid, and it'll hurt if you land on them.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

love_the_green wrote:
Number22 wrote:
Hate to be serious for a minute, but if the guy is for real, and he really is unable to work, and has a serious spinal injury as a result, you gotta feel sorry for him, he could have a family to provide for. Sueing the club could be his last resort at providing his family with an income, he may have no other choice.

At the same time, I used to be a milk boy, and we jumped off trucks and ran around all the time with milk crates full of milk, and its bloody obvious that those things are solid, and it'll hurt if you land on them.
Even if he doesnt have a family support, even if this is his last resort, lets not take away from the fact that seeing a man dive several feet in the air, covering several metres to catch a football in a milk crate was possibly the funniest thing ive ever had the pleasure of seeing

:lol: :lol:
the mug even delayed the start of the 2nd half :roflmao
love_the_green
Alan Tongue

Post by love_the_green »

Raider_69 wrote:
love_the_green wrote:
Number22 wrote:

Even if he doesnt have a family support, even if this is his last resort, lets not take away from the fact that seeing a man dive several feet in the air, covering several metres to catch a football in a milk crate was possibly the funniest thing ive ever had the pleasure of seeing

:lol: :lol:
the mug even delayed the start of the 2nd half :roflmao

True, not many people can claim that, would there be any photos of this competition on the Raiders or Canberra Milk websites?
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

I sincerely doubt he was advised by club officials to dive whilst holding an outstretched milk carton so as to give himself the best opportunity of taking home a Canberra Milk prize pack.

Pics or video of this would make my day.
#BoneMcCrone