Huddersfield sign Carney

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Grant
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Miller

Re: Huddersfield sign Carney

Post by Grant »

If none of you clowns care about Todd, why bother even replying on this thread? Why even open up to view it? What a waste of time for people who think this thread is full of useful conversation, only for it to be covered with ppl saying "I don't care, he's a loser" ****, if you truly don't care, don't bother writing in here
GR33NM4CH1N3_13
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Josh Dugan

Post by GR33NM4CH1N3_13 »

Green_wif_envy wrote:If none of you clowns care about Todd, why bother even replying on this thread? Why even open up to view it? What a waste of time for people who think this thread is full of useful conversation, only for it to be covered with ppl saying "I don't care, he's a loser" ****, if you truly don't care, don't bother writing in here
Maybe they support the Giants. ;)
Golden Boogs winner for CALL OF THE YEAR
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Green_wif_envy wrote:If none of you clowns care about Todd, why bother even replying on this thread? Why even open up to view it? What a waste of time for people who think this thread is full of useful conversation, only for it to be covered with ppl saying "I don't care, he's a loser" ****, if you truly don't care, don't bother writing in here
x2 :clap: :clap:

:lol:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Considering he was on our playing roster 4 weeks ago, I can understand the relevancy.

Deadset though he will have his head kicked in if he tries some of his antics in a Northern England drinking hole.
Sven
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Sven »

thickos wrote:Considering he was on our playing roster 4 weeks ago, I can understand the relevancy.

Deadset though he will have his head kicked in if he tries some of his antics in a Northern England drinking hole.
And hopefully he does. It seems most of the talented players in the nrl are all F-wits away from the game(Bird, Gower, Carney, Johns...etc)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Giants sign world superstar

Huddersfield Giants are delighted to announce the signing on a three- year deal of NRL superstar Todd Carney. The 22-year-old stand off will join the club on December 1st and is already keen to get started.

Todd Carney commented:

"I see this move as a fresh start for me away from the issues in the NRL and I can't wait to get cracking. I asked my Manager to get me to a club that can win things and the ambition shown by Huddersfield has convinced me that they can do just that. Along with Brett Hodgson who I know from the NRL they have other international players in key positions and a whole host of established British players ready to take the next step forward and make the club a real force in the Super League. I would like to thank the club for having the confidence in me and I look forward to repaying that on and off the field for them and getting back into training and playing the game I love."

Giants Head Coach Nathan Brown commented:

"There is no doubting Todd's ability. He will bring a new dimension to the Giants play and to the engage Super League as a whole. We were in the market for a half and to get the lad that I believe is an outstanding talent is a massive boost to the club. Such is his standing in the game that I believe he had his pick of most of the teams in the competition so again for us to be his choice gives me great confidence that we can attract the worlds best players to Huddersfield to add to an already strong roster. "

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis commented:

"We promised more signings when we unveiled our revolutionary season ticket plan and I believe that this will be the biggest made by any club in the engage Super League this year. Todd was voted the player that most supporters would want in their NRL team at the start of the year and to have him joining alongside Nathan Brown and Brett Hodgson from the NRL is a clear statement to everyone that Huddersfield are a very attractive option for the World's best. I expect further squad movements over the coming weeks as the September deadline has just passed and can assure all Giants supporters that our intention is to build a squad capable of beating the very best. Todd Carney was our number one target and we are delighted to get his signature on paper."

http://giantsrl.dnsupdate.co.uk/latestN ... Index=2333
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

Good signing for them , hopefully Todd changes his lifestyle over there and when he does come back, hes a changed man in all facets of life.

BUT:

"World Superstar"

I nearly spilt my coffee just then.

It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - 'We Are The Raiders Army'
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

I can't see Nathan Brown being the influence Todd needs at this point in his career.

In the comments I've seen from him he's very much down-playing Todd's past behavior, treating it as trivial.

I think he'll play over there for '09 and be back in the NRL in '10. Hopefully seeing a bit of the world will mature him.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Three year deal?

The 'world superstar' in the pic is wearing a PL jersey... check the logo on the chest. Must have been coming back from one of those many indiscretions :doubt: :roll:
mick_63
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by mick_63 »

Call me cynical but whenever i read something attributed to Carney lately it seems like someone else wrote it.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Crusher wrote:
x2 :clap: :clap:

:lol:
X3
This place is woke.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

mick_63 wrote:Call me cynical but whenever i read something attributed to Carney lately it seems like someone else wrote it.
Uh huh - he seems a lot more eloquent in prose than he does whenever he is interviewed...
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Michael wrote:
mick_63 wrote:Call me cynical but whenever i read something attributed to Carney lately it seems like someone else wrote it.
Uh huh - he seems a lot more eloquent in prose than he does whenever he is interviewed...
coming along nicely imo
This place is woke.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Question wrote:
Michael wrote:
coming along nicely imo
I agree - with a little more training he could be as incoherent as you Matt...
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Michael wrote:
Question wrote:
Michael wrote:
coming along nicely imo
I agree - with a little more training he could be as incoherent as you Matt...
:lol: ....the mind of the brilliant can only be deciphered face to face.
This place is woke.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Well how about you make an appearance at a game you big skirt - I wanna see you week one of the finals.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Michael wrote:Well how about you make an appearance at a game you big skirt - I wanna see you week one of the finals.
i am not doing melbourne though.
This place is woke.
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

greeneyed wrote:Giants sign world superstar
Good luck Todd!

"Superstar" is right, he will be the stand out player in the ESL before the end of 2009, thats my bet anyway. If NSW can't get their act together, we may even see a superstar 'Alfie' style comeback to safe teh Blues! Carve those Pommys up Toddy!
Karne
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Karne »

I wish him the best.

Regardless of what happened off the field, on it he was still an incredible genius of a player who was/is destined for higher honours.

It just hurts that he betrayed the club, his teammates, and those of us who believed in something better for him.

:cry:
Raiders for the Premiership! Bugger in a couple of years, this year!
raider_jim
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by raider_jim »

yea good luck to todd
BLEEDS GREEN
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Crusher wrote:
Good luck Todd!

"Superstar" is right, he will be the stand out player in the ESL before the end of 2009, thats my bet anyway. If NSW can't get their act together, we may even see a superstar 'Alfie' style comeback to safe teh Blues! Carve those Pommys up Toddy!
Yeah except Alfie was an established Origin legend who came back to a team who's best option at halfback was Paul Green.

Todd Carney has played in one Country Origin game.

Also, Todd's insistence at playing halfback backfired as Peter Wallace, Mitchell Pearce and Jarrod Mullane all got selected for Origin before he did, despite having arguably less ability than Todd (though I dare say, a hell of a lot more consistency). Meanwhile, the guy who has taken over the running of the team is among the NRL's most inform players and has played far better and with more consistency than Todd ever, and frankly looks a lot closer to a rep jersey right now than TC ever did.

In other words, I don't see it happening.

Todd could've been great and all, but sometimes I wonder if you have actually been watching the team play in his absence.
#BoneMcCrone
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Carney looking forward to fresh start

Troubled halfback Todd Carney says he's looking forward to a "fresh start" after officially signing with Super League club Huddersfield.

The former Canberra playmaker has penned a three-year deal with the Giants, but it includes a get-out clause that would allow him to return to the NRL in 2010.

Carney, who was sacked by the Raiders and deregistered by the NRL last month after repeated off-field misdemeanours, said he was looking forward to moving on from his troubles.

"I see this move as a fresh start for me away from the issues in the NRL and I can't wait to get cracking," Carney said on Huddersfield's website.

"I asked my manager (David Riolo) to get me to a club that can win things and the ambition shown by Huddersfield has convinced me that they can do just that.

"I would like to thank the club for having the confidence in me and I look forward to repaying that on and off the field for them and getting back into training and playing the game I love."

Carney will link up with outgoing St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown, who reportedly played a role in luring the 22-year-old to Huddersfield.

The Giants beat off several other clubs to secure Carney's signature, including Wigan where he was touted as a potential replacement for Trent Barrett.

"We were in the market for a halfback and to get the lad that I believe is an outstanding talent is a massive boost to the club," Brown said.

"Such is his standing in the game that I believe he had his pick of most of the teams in the competition."

Carney will also link up with Wests Tigers veteran Brett Hodgson at the club next season.

NRL chief executive David Gallop has said he would be willing to consider re-registering Carney for 2010 if he proves he has moved on from his troubles.

Manly and Penrith were among the NRL teams reported to be interested in signing him.

Huddersfield managing director Richard Thewlis moved to calm Giants fans about the get-out clause.

"I realise that people will ask about the get-out clauses that the media seem to like to highlight and would remind all our supporters that those basically are included at the player's request in case they don't settle," he said.

"Moving 12,000 miles is a pretty daunting experience for anyone and what we must do as a club and indeed as supporters is welcome this young man with open arms."

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/2059582
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Great positive press for TC..Bravo yes Bravo..

And browny has always had it in him..good bloke that is.
This place is woke.
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

Buc Nasty wrote:
Crusher wrote:
Good luck Todd!

Yeah except...
Mate, I'm done debating TC (for the moment anyway), you all know my views already, and if you don't then go read them, I'v only had to repeat myself... god knows how many times.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Crusher wrote:[
I'v only had to repeat myself... god knows how many times.
Indeed.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

We should no longer really concern ourselves too deeply with Todd Carney...he is gone and not coming back...

Whether he plays for Huddersfield, Penriff, Manly or anyone else, who cares?

He was an ok player at the Raiders but highly rated without any real credentials...it wasn't like he always stood out in general play or anything like that
(although sporadically he did every now and then)...when we needed him most in games, he never came through...but he was good at field goals and 40/20's though...but was he really worth $400,000 a year on what he had shown in the past? No way :nooo

Hope he gets his sh*t in order and his life back on track but not at the Raiders...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Does anyone have the stats on how many times Todd got overall points each round in the POTY 3-2-1 thing?

I think he played 71 first grade games for the club since his debut in '04 and it would be interesting to see how many times he polled points.

As much as anything though, I'm just glad I no longer have to read a Raiders story about Carney getting busted by the police or stringing the club out for a contract extension...because mark my words he would have done the same thing to us in 18 months time when his option came up.

Some of the things he did were a disgrace and, as the Bird incident showed, if you think his crap had no impact on team morale, sponsors and supporters you're living on another planet.