All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

Ranking the best NRL signings ahead of the 2019 season

2. John Bateman – Canberra Raiders
Who? International league fans will be familiar with John Bateman, a member of the English side which recently defeated New Zealand in a three-Test series. He was named at second row in the Super League dream team for 2018 and came close to winning the ‘Man of Steel’ award, which eventually went to Ben Barba.

At age 25, Bateman is nearing his prime and entering the NRL at an opportune moment. Ricky Stuart has a good headache ahead of him with Bateman, Elliott Whitehead, Josh Papalii and Joseph Tapine all vying for back-row positions.

Read more: https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/22/r ... 19-season/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Haha that is going to generate some salt.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Fancy trying to argue Angus Crichton is the games best edge forward.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The 10 most intriguing NRL player and coach transfers for 2019

JOHN BATEMAN

When an Englishman decides to try his luck in the NRL, there’s always plenty of intrigue that follows. Canberra will boast two new English imports in 2019 in Wigan duo Bateman and Ryan Sutton, with the former arriving with plenty of raps.

The 25-year-old Bateman made his Super League debut with Bradford in 2011 before making the switch to the Warriors where his career went to a new level. He now arrives at the Raiders with 15 Tests for England to his name and it’ll be interesting to see where Ricky Stuart plays him given he’s starred at both back row and centre.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 696d67afb4
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders new recruit John Bateman donates World Cup boots for charity auction

Big-hearted John Bateman is giving away the boots he wore in last year’s World Cup – to help Wigan-based charity Joseph’s Goal. The England Test forward, who helped Wigan Warriors win the Super League Grand Final this year, will shortly be jetting out to Australia for a new adventure with Canberra Raiders. But before then he is aiming to raise as much money as possible to support research into NKH, the genetic disorder from which nine-year-old Joseph Kendrick suffers.

Read more: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9505644
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

:thumbsup
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: November 23, 2018, 3:42 pm Fancy trying to argue Angus Crichton is the games best edge forward.
Boy didnt he crash back to earth this year. Surprised he played SOO, he didnt deserve it
Im sure he'll end up being a stud but boy he was pretty trash this year
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He'll always have his media fan bois

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

When does he arrive and start training?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I believe all the representative players are due to start first training day after Christmas. Some had already spent some time at pre Christmas training, off their own bat.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Anybody heard or spotted the elusive JB?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Still in the Motherland..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: December 27, 2018, 4:01 pm Anybody heard or spotted the elusive JB?
Ricky Stuart told him to have Christmas in the UK, he played the England Test series and was due four weeks off.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

greeneyed wrote: December 27, 2018, 4:10 pm
sprintman wrote: December 27, 2018, 4:01 pm Anybody heard or spotted the elusive JB?
Ricky Stuart told him to have Christmas in the UK, he played the England Test series and was due four weeks off.
Am I sensing a lack of commitment?

Could be here enjoying the bike tracks and having coffees with Jack
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Xmas gone. Where is the lazy bar steward?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

He really is on the ball is our Sticky.

Bateman is easily our best signing for this year. Rather than get him over here and get acclimatised, settle into a new city, new house, new shops etc before his preseason starts, let’s tell him to stay in th UK and allow all of those bedding in steps to encroach on the performance part of preseason once he arrives after Christmas. It’s not as though Sticky hasn’t done this before, he did the same with Smelly from memory, and while we all loved him when he started playing, it was very very obvious he struggled with the heat for the first month of his game time here. Why Sticky doesn’t learn from these things baffles me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m glad Ricky has shown some heart. John Bateman’s leaving behind a young daughter, and it looks like he took her on a special trip to New York just before Christmas, then coming back home for a family Christmas in England. There was no off season for him, up to November 7, so fitness won’t be much of an issue for him.

Ryan Sutton came to Australia for training prior to Christmas, but he didn’t play in the England Tests against France and New Zealand. Elliott Whitehead, Josh Hodgson and Jordan Rapana checked in at Raiders HQ pre Christmas, but also took more time off... which is good, they’re supposed to rest the body at some point. (Plus Rapana is still in rehab phase.) I see both Whitehead and Sutton at least went back to England for Christmas.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: December 28, 2018, 8:45 am I’m glad Ricky has shown some heart. John Bateman’s leaving behind a young daughter, and it looks like he took her on a special trip to New York just before Christmas, then coming back home for a family Christmas in England. There was no off season for him, up to November 7, so fitness won’t be much of an issue for him.

Ryan Sutton came to Australia for training prior to Christmas, but he didn’t play in the England Tests against France and New Zealand. Elliott Whitehead, Josh Hodgson and Jordan Rapana checked in at Raiders HQ pre Christmas, but also took more time off... which is good, they’re supposed to rest the body at some point. (Plus Rapana is still in rehab phase.) I see both Whitehead and Sutton at least went back to England for Christmas.
Well that changes my tune a bit, I had figured on a 3 year deal the family would be coming as well. It would make sense to get them here early and settled, even if he isn’t training, so that he is ready to go day 1. But if he is flying solo, that’s a bit different. Do you know if they are coming later?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I guess one of the biggest things players going from Superleague to NRL would have to change about their game is the wrestle
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Is he separated and left a daughter behind, or left his partner and daughter behind? If the latter it’s not a good scenario
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Just wait and see how he goes. We will have enough to worry about once kick off comes without trying to invent problems.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: December 28, 2018, 10:21 am Is he separated and left a daughter behind, or left his partner and daughter behind? If the latter it’s not a good scenario
I am presuming not the latter. He had his daughter when he was still in school, when he was aged 16: https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... -daughter/

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby ... hn-Bateman

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ne-Bennett

He said this during the Test series against the Kiwis:

“But it will be me out there for a few months to get things sorted then once I’ve sorted a house out, my daughter Millie will come out with my mum and gran for spells.

“She’s staying in school in England but I think we’ve sorted something out whereby she can take her work with her and head out whenever she wants. It’s going to be a massive thing.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/ ... -in-wigan/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Coastalraider wrote: December 28, 2018, 8:02 am

Bateman is easily our best signing for this year. Rather than get him over here and get acclimatised, settle into a new city, new house, new shops etc before his preseason starts, let’s tell him to stay in th UK and allow all of those bedding in steps to encroach on the performance part of preseason once he arrives after Christmas. It’s not as though Sticky hasn’t done this before, he did the same with Smelly from memory, and while we all loved him when he started playing, it was very very obvious he struggled with the heat for the first month of his game time here. Why Sticky doesn’t learn from these things baffles me.
He's a human, not a robot. He needs a break. Deserves a break. A nice xmas with the family before heading to the other side of the world. How fit do you reckon a bloke is gonna get over xmas/NT anyway? Gees.

The season starts in March. He's got 3 months mate. He'll struggle a bit in the heat regardless. The game will be quicker. The wrestle more sapping. Running laps can't fix him for that.

Criticise Ricky for something worthwhile, not rubbish.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

BadnMean wrote: December 28, 2018, 4:19 pm
Coastalraider wrote: December 28, 2018, 8:02 am

He's a human, not a robot. He needs a break. Deserves a break. A nice xmas with the family before heading to the other side of the world. How fit do you reckon a bloke is gonna get over xmas/NT anyway? Gees.

The season starts in March. He's got 3 months mate. He'll struggle a bit in the heat regardless. The game will be quicker. The wrestle more sapping. Running laps can't fix him for that.

Criticise Ricky for something worthwhile, not rubbish.
My point was not that he should be here training right now, my point was it would be beneficial for him to be here settling in now, so when training starts that is his only priority. I’ve changed cities to move teams before, and arrived the same time I have started work, and finding housing, shops, banking, cars, blah blah is all a distraction while trying to settle into a new role or workplace. That was my point, not questioning his fitness. I remember moving from Sydney to Brisbane in the height of summer and starting work the next day, pushing 14-16 hour days in a non aircon workshop and just being destroyed by the humidity. Some acclimatisation would have helped.

As GE has educated me, he has extenuating circumstances with his daughter I was unaware of, so I’m happy to crawl back in my box, but my change of heart is because of his daughter, not because I don’t think acclimatisation to a new city, team and country would be beneficial.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In all the usual circumstances, I think that's right too.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: December 28, 2018, 11:32 am
sprintman wrote: December 28, 2018, 10:21 am Is he separated and left a daughter behind, or left his partner and daughter behind? If the latter it’s not a good scenario
I am presuming not the latter. He had his daughter when he was still in school, when he was aged 16: https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... -daughter/

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby ... hn-Bateman

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ne-Bennett

He said this during the Test series against the Kiwis:

“But it will be me out there for a few months to get things sorted then once I’ve sorted a house out, my daughter Millie will come out with my mum and gran for spells.

“She’s staying in school in England but I think we’ve sorted something out whereby she can take her work with her and head out whenever she wants. It’s going to be a massive thing.”

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/ ... -in-wigan/
Youch. This could get interesting.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah i got no problems with Bateman spending Christmas with his family in the UK.
This period of the off season schedule is all about fitness, as long as he's putting in the work back home and he comes in here in the new year in the right shape (and he's a professional who should be able to be trusted with that) then that's fine.

But the family circumstances are certainly going to complicate matters to some extent. I mean that's got home sickness written all over it.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm sure his daughter et al will visit him in Australia.

Doesn't make it easy though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Voted best player of 2018 in Super League by the readers of League Express.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit John Bateman voted Player of the Year in Super League

New Canberra Raiders recruit John Bateman has expressed his delight after being named the League Express Player of the Year. The 25-year-old took 43 per cent of the votes, beating St Helens winger and Golden Boot winner Tommy Makinson (28 per cent).

"I would like to give a massive thank you to all the readers who voted," Bateman told League Express. "My mum is behind me and my little girl is looking forward to coming out to Australia to see me. I’m really looking forward to going out there [to Australia] and I can’t wait to meet [Canberra Raiders coach] Ricky Stuart."

Read more: http://www.totalrl.com/bateman-delighte ... -the-year/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Can't wait to see this guy in green. Effort, execution, mongrel. Wherever he ends up his season is going to be quality.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Well done getting the award over the Golden Boot winner that most of us here us here in Oz had never heard of or noticed (and I do watch the ESL games on Foxsports).
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He’s arrived according to his Instagram.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

never mind
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders new forward John Bateman joins stable of tough Pommies

IF Englishman John Bateman is as hard in defence as he is to understand, the Canberra Raiders are onto a winner.

“To be honest I still struggle to understand Elliott and Hodgo and I’ve been pretty good mates with them for the past two years,” Jordan Rapana said. “He’s a new boy so he’s going to have to have little Hodgo there translating for him, he’s pretty hard to understand.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 35d8b80834