29%
Eels 13+
14%

Total votes: 14

Off
Laurie Daley

Re: 2021 Rd 6 V Eels: Game Day

Post by Off »

**** Hodgo if you guys play anymore grinding non expansive, lacklustre football with a headless chook approach ill need toothpicks to keep my eyes open, who the **** feeds you that **** and are you watching the same game.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

lets start looking to Fiji and Samoa/Tonga for RAW power, im growing tired of the Englanders.
This place is woke.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

After watching that rubbish last night it's obvious that Sia is finished,Kris has to play somewhere, Rapa needs to be on the right wing.And we do miss CNK for his defensive work, Simmo is not up to it either. My backline would be for next week, 1 Atkins,2 Croker,3 Kris,4 Scott,5 Rapa,6 Jack,7 G.Willy.
As for the forwards Sia and Havilli to go,James starting or bench, CHN is obvious on the bench,Starling to stay.
My forwards would be 8 Papa,9 Hodgo,10 Sutton,11 Hudson, 12 Whitey,13 Tarps.
Bench. 14 James,15 Guler,16 CHN,17 Starling.
Anyway just my 2 cents worth :)
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

greeneyed wrote: April 18, 2021, 1:10 pm The other thing Hodgson said was that the solution to the team's current problems are to strip their game right back, and play simple, grinding football... and build some confidence.
😂🤣 Ricky honestly has no plan B
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

In other words we're so bad at passing and putting plays on, it creates such confusion in the backline, that we're better off just not passing at all and going up the guts

Hey, could be true...
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Does Aekins have a passing game? Could he be put on a wing and play wing in defence (when CNK comes back) and fullback in attack?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Leebola wrote: April 18, 2021, 2:50 pm Does Aekins have a passing game? Could he be put on a wing and play wing in defence (when CNK comes back) and fullback in attack?
I think this is feasable. If he plays consistently to lastnights standard he will have to be in our starting team somewhere.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: April 18, 2021, 2:04 pm We have six games before the bye. Cowboys, Rabbitohs, Knights, Bulldogs, Storm and Roosters. The last two weeks have seen us have to reshuffle the side after an injury to an outside back/FB.

We were down 12-10 against the Eels at half time and still in the game. Once the reshuffle happened so our defensive structure fell away just as it did against the Panthers the week before. Moving EW into the center position and one of the centers to the wing has not been successful in either of the past 2 weeks. There has to be a bench player who can play in an outside back position so that we are not caught out again. We need to be able to cover at least one potential injury in the backline without throwing the defensive structure out of kilter for the remainder of the match. Ricky will be having some intensive one on one discussions this week.
It's not rocket science- either Kris on the bench who can play in the backs or backrow, as needed and since he's a rookie, it's no great injustice if he only plays 10-15 mins some weeks. Or CHN in the team somewhere, as he's more mobile than Elliot and has played centre at point of his FG career previously. There's two really good solutions there, each of which puts a player in the 17 who really should be there anyway at this stage, but Ricky is too stubborn to do. You could put both in the bloody team and improve the 17 no end, CHN to backrow, Kris on the bench for backs cover + plays 10-15 mins each half when CHN gasses out.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

SimplyThePest wrote:Odd take from Hodgson; simple, grinding footy is what we’ve been playing. If anything, the handbrake needs to come off and allow for some expansive, unpredictable play.
We seem to be lurching between grinding / just completing our sets or chancing our arm when there is absolutely nothing on, for example the 2 or 3 plays that Rapana was easily covered and bundled into touch, or the early kicks into legs. As I said last night our structure and style sucks and needs an update. It's so **** boring watching 5 crash ball / hit ups and we aren't winning anything with this style. Do we have any set plays? It doesn't look like it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: April 18, 2021, 4:26 pm
Leebola wrote: April 18, 2021, 2:50 pm Does Aekins have a passing game? Could he be put on a wing and play wing in defence (when CNK comes back) and fullback in attack?
I think this is feasable. If he plays consistently to lastnights standard he will have to be in our starting team somewhere.
As said during the week, i think the best thing you could say about Aekins passing game is it's better than CNKs
He's not a natural ball player all. Unless he's developed that over the off season.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 5:25 pm
Wiki Special wrote: April 18, 2021, 4:26 pm
As said during the week, i think the best thing you could say about Aekins passing game is it's better than CNKs
He's not a natural ball player all. Unless he's developed that over the off season.
Agree he needs to be in the 17, and if he can pass better than CNK, well, that's a start...

I nearly fainted when someone was actually backing up, looking for the offload. Backing up Papa, Tarps and Horse, Caleb could have a field day.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:50 am What I don't like about Stuart's coaching is he is quick to drop his non favourites like Dunamis Lui when we lose, but Croker, Sia, Whitehead, Hodgson will never be dropped no matter how their form are. We saw that in 2017-18 when Wighton was having shockers at fullback, Paulo was playing like a 5/8, Shannon Boyd was unfit, Sezer couldn't get a set restart to save his life, and Blake Austin couldn't tackle.
Post of the thread, hands down! :roflmao
SimplyThePest
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by SimplyThePest »

gergreg wrote: April 18, 2021, 5:00 pm
SimplyThePest wrote:Odd take from Hodgson; simple, grinding footy is what we’ve been playing. If anything, the handbrake needs to come off and allow for some expansive, unpredictable play.
We seem to be lurching between grinding / just completing our sets or chancing our arm when there is absolutely nothing on, for example the 2 or 3 plays that Rapana was easily covered and bundled into touch, or the early kicks into legs. As I said last night our structure and style sucks and needs an update. It's so **** boring watching 5 crash ball / hit ups and we aren't winning anything with this style. Do we have any set plays? It doesn't look like it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Blast up the middle by all means but don’t always go one off the ruck and get some offloads going, take some chances. Easts often have a high error/poor completion rate but they break the line a lot and score plenty of points.
Funnily enough, the first try we scored against them in semi last year is exactly what we should be trying on constantly.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

For mine, our attacking or lack of attacking prowess all points back to Hodgo, this was proven on the field last year in his absence and is now confirmed by his post match comments
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

SimplyThePest wrote: April 18, 2021, 1:32 pm Odd take from Hodgson; simple, grinding footy is what we’ve been playing. If anything, the handbrake needs to come off and allow for some expansive, unpredictable play.
Great news right?
So we made a few early shifts in the eels game which resulted in lost possession due to failed execution and now the coach wants us to lock the ball up and put everyone to sleep.
Coaching master stroke.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

I just don't understand this 'Get CNK back and all will be well' mentality, given that

a) He's not *that* good. Would be some way down a list of the comp's best full-backs.

b) According to your poll, most posters rated his replacement as the best performer on the night anyway.

c) The Raiders' issues are not primarily about who the full-back is, that is the least of your concerns.

CHN is a top guy and you want him in your side.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

moto748 wrote:I just don't understand this 'Get CNK back and all will be well' mentality, given that
Quote someone who said this.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We haven't won a game without Dunamis Lui this season. How strange.........

I think that's clear proof then that we're going to keep losing until Dunamis Lui comes back.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can people hear something?

It’s like a mindless droning noise...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Think you're hearing yourself there in that echo chamber of yours, gangrimouse.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No, it sounds very different to rational thought. But thanks for the effort.

It’s more a persistent, whiny, logically unsound noise that I’m hearing.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Didn't see the game, only the highlights

**** our defensive attitude was awful, all their tries came off bad reads or poor attempted tackles

That was a real 17/18 Raiders effort, which is concerning

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch it.

Bit if an odd one this game. We lost a heap of little contests that eventually resulted in a loss of the ruck in the second half and left us with nothing to build off.

When we were getting some wins in the first half we'd follow it up with poor decisions going wide too early and being impatient.

In the second when Hodgson was limping he should have come straight off for the hooker we had on the bench.
There were some poor interchange decisions.

The Eels played well and at pace aided by those ruck wins. Moses executed all night and Papali'i gave everyone a bath, particularly Young and Williams.

On the bright side Aekins is clearly our best choice at fullback while CNK is out.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: April 18, 2021, 11:06 pm It’s more a persistent, whiny, logically unsound noise that I’m hearing.
Yep - you're hearing yourself. That's the exact noise, without a hint of rationality.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2021 Rd 6 V Eels: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:Didn't see the game, only the highlights

**** our defensive attitude was awful, all their tries came off bad reads or poor attempted tackles

That was a real 17/18 Raiders effort, which is concerning

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Agreed, it’s like our whole defensive structure has regressed three years.

On a completely unrelated note, what year did CNK start for us?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:We haven't won a game without Dunamis Lui this season. How strange.........

I think that's clear proof then that we're going to keep losing until Dunamis Lui comes back.
What would you have said when Cowboys were missing JT for a couple of games and got smashed. “Oh there’s not enough data, it could be their new breakfast cereal”?

Now I’m not saying CNK is as important to the team as JT was to the Cowboys*. But it is equally obvious that taking him out is going to have an impact on the Raiders defence. Lo and behold the small amount of data we have points exactly to that.

It’s complete stubborn bloody-mindedness to say that taking CNK out wouldn’t or didn’t impact the defence.

* I shouldn’t have to be explicit in this stuff. But given people are struggling with what has been stated, I’m guessing they’ll struggle with the concept of an analogy.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: April 18, 2021, 11:09 pm Finally got a chance to sit down and watch it.

Bit if an odd one this game. We lost a heap of little contests that eventually resulted in a loss of the ruck in the second half and left us with nothing to build off.

When we were getting some wins in the first half we'd follow it up with poor decisions going wide too early and being impatient.

In the second when Hodgson was limping he should have come straight off for the hooker we had on the bench.

The Eels played well and at pace aided by those ruck wins. Moses executed all night and Papali'i gave everyone a bath, particularly Young and Williams.

On the bright side Aekins is clearly our best choice at fullback while CNK is out.
Kind of sums up the negative parts of Hodgo's mindset right there. Eagerness and determination that he can do it- but can blind him a bit about what talents others have to bring to bear as well.
twistedbydesign
Glenn Lazarus

Post by twistedbydesign »

I've no doubt that CNK has a lot of intangible qualities that have improved our defence as a team, but his absence isn't the reason that good defenders like Young and Papalii got brushed aside leading to tries. Beyond the obvious deficiencies of this team - in terms of both tactics and ability - it was just a horribly flat and disinterested performance across the park, Caleb a notable exception.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

BadnMean wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:43 am
zim wrote: April 18, 2021, 11:09 pm Finally got a chance to sit down and watch it.

Kind of sums up the negative parts of Hodgo's mindset right there. Eagerness and determination that he can do it- but can blind him a bit about what talents others have to bring to bear as well.
I'm not saying Hodgson should have taken himself off. I'm saying stick should have taken him off.
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

He seems undersized for the wing no?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

mobrulesall wrote: April 19, 2021, 10:13 am
He seems undersized for the wing no?
I don't get this sudden surge to place Aekins on the wing. He had a serviceable game at FB but he's smaller than our current wingers, no faster than Rapana and doesn't have next level footwork or anything. He's just a solid backup FB.

We've got Semi already blooded and did some good things, Timoko (if we want to makeshift) and Hoppa (if we wait until round 10).

I've grown a bit tired of Simo not offering a lot but our first port of call should simply be to place our fastest winger (Simo) on the side we create the most chances and with our best ball players (Toots and Whitehead) to pass him into space and put Rapana back on the right where he has a hope.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Caleb Aekins admits he experienced mixed emotions after the fullback made his debut for the club during Saturday night's defeat to the Parramatta Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ers-debut/

PLAY OF THE WEEK: Hodgson and Williams combine: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... s-combine/

GALLERY: Raiders v Eels: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/2 ... st#license

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... s-v-eels3/
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

moto748 wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:53 pm I just don't understand this 'Get CNK back and all will be well' mentality, given that

a) He's not *that* good. Would be some way down a list of the comp's best full-backs.

b) According to your poll, most posters rated his replacement as the best performer on the night anyway.

c) The Raiders' issues are not primarily about who the full-back is, that is the least of your concerns.

Cnk is much more influential than Chn, IMO.

If the team was really performing then I see Chn as expendable. Defensive issues are a big part of what he brings to the table unfortunately.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings

7. Canberra Raiders (7)

Really big concerns. Canberra have been the most disappointing side in the top half of the competition from last year. They look lost in attack and they're leaking tries in defence.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/19/sow ... s-red-hot/
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 19, 2021, 12:56 pm
moto748 wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:53 pm I just don't understand this 'Get CNK back and all will be well' mentality, given that

Cnk is much more influential than Chn, IMO.

If the team was really performing then I see Chn as expendable. Defensive issues are a big part of what he brings to the table unfortunately.
It's a given he'd add to the attack and the right edge was poor defensively anyway vs Parra...