The Wrestling Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by The Naked Zombie »

Mick Foley is the greatest professional wrestler of all time. Four time world heavyweight champion. End of discussion.
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

Big Call!

I was actually going to buy one of his books today - there's this awesome shop called minotaur in the city down here with heaps of wrestling books and dvds. i could waste SOOO much money in there :lol:
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Foley's actually my favourite writer as well as my favourite wrestler. His autobiographies are fantastic, his novels are great and even his kids books are top notch. If you haven't already, do yourself a favour and pick up one of his books.
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

Heading back down on Thursday to pick it up (payday). The one I was looking at was "Have a nice day" - Not sure if they ahve any of the others there, but they seem to have most of the wrestlers' auto/biographies. The also have "The Rise and Fall of ECW" on dvd for $20!!

Thoughts on current WWE happenings? (Don't tell me results of backlash - haven't watched it yet)
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

GCR wrote:Mick Foley is the greatest professional wrestler of all time. Four time world heavyweight champion. End of discussion.
he's certainly up there
but for the complete package, i cant go past Bret Hart
Mhartew
Peter Jackson

Post by Mhartew »

Raider_69 wrote:
GCR wrote:Mick Foley is the greatest professional wrestler of all time. Four time world heavyweight champion. End of discussion.
he's certainly up there
but for the complete package, i cant go past Bret Hart
100% agree with you on Bret Hart
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

How can someone be the greatest when its all staged, and pre-determined who will win - am I missing something?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:How can someone be the greatest when its all staged, and pre-determined who will win - am I missing something?
the result might be pre determined but the athletic ability to get to the top doesnt change
there is a lot of skill and talent involved in professional wrestling, if nothing else it takes a lot of strength, conditioning and execution to do the things they do to each other without sustaining injury

Bret Hart was charismatic as all hell, he sold wrestling to millions of people. He was as clean as you'll ever find in a wrestling ring, technically the best of all time, no doubts and he was extremely strong for someone his size

Michael, its like saying you can not rate an actor's performance because its all staged and pre-determined.
There is serious athletism and talents involved in professional wrestling.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Raider_69 wrote:
Michael wrote:How can someone be the greatest when its all staged, and pre-determined who will win - am I missing something?
the result might be pre determined but the athletic ability to get to the top doesnt change
there is a lot of skill and talent involved in professional wrestling, if nothing else it takes a lot of strength, conditioning and execution to do the things they do to each other without sustaining injury

Bret Hart was charismatic as all hell, he sold wrestling to millions of people. He was as clean as you'll ever find in a wrestling ring, technically the best of all time, no doubts and he was extremely strong for someone his size

Michael, its like saying you can not rate an actor's performance because its all staged and pre-determined.
I don't doubt that it takes skill and hard work to be a professional wrestler, but it never makes sense to me when people say 'so and so is the greatest of all time because he's won 5 Spandex Cups' or whatever...I mean, if its pre-determined, how does winning make you better?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

only in America mate.
This place is woke.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Question wrote:only in America mate.
I don't get wrestling - I understand its like a human drama, and in that sense its like a TV show, but I don't see people running around going 'Sly Stallone is the greatest boxer of all time because he beat Carl Weathers, Mr T, Hulk Hogan AND Dolph Lungren!'
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

:lol: ...Crazy stuff hey,i loathe it, and most things that are pushed upon us from the States.
This place is woke.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:

I don't doubt that it takes skill and hard work to be a professional wrestler, but it never makes sense to me when people say 'so and so is the greatest of all time because he's won 5 Spandex Cups' or whatever...I mean, if its pre-determined, how does winning make you better?
You dont win matches in wrestling by luck mate
whilst its pre determined, to win a match requires a lot of work before hand, pending on how the booking goes but to be the best you have to first and foremost sell yourself to the audience as being the best, or close too, which is no easy feat, wrestling fans wont react to anyone, you've got to be able to work the crowd and also have the technical ability to put on a great performance.

Its exactly like acting, you've got to sell the charactor to the audience, if you dont, the entire production will suffer as a result. When people say "x is the best ever" what they are saying is "x" could sell his charactor and tell a story in the ring like no one else, they are talking about the aspects that make wrestling, not the wrestling itself. It's an art form like acting. What we mean when we say "x" is the best, is exactly how people mean it when they say "Sean Penn/Mickey Rourke/Christian Bale is the best actor going around at the moment", their talents allow them to sell a movie to the audience as genuine and almost real.

Winning doesnt make you the best, because its pre determined but getting the powers to be to book you to a world championship requires a lot of talent and skill.

Bret Hart was the best because technically he was safe as a bank, he never seriously hurt anyone he was in the ring with, but he also had the charisma and energy to sell himself as the best in the business, despite lacking a physical presence. He sold his fueds incredibly well, sold the in ring moves well, and he was able work the crowd into a frenzy with a promo, he was the total package.

Thats what makes him the best, not that he beat Shaun Michaels in a 60 minute iron man match, because its pre determined but the reason they had him "win" that match is because the fans believed he was the top dog at the time, and to get that from the fans takes a lot of skill and ability

That being said, i loved wrestling as a kid, but at around 14 i just grew out of it, partly becuase they dont have any truely awesome charactors anymore, i grew up watching old videos of Macho Man, Hulk, Andre the Giant, the undertaker in his prime, Natural Diasters, Ted DiBiase, Razor Ramone, Diesel Legion Of Doom etc, then watched the likes of Steve Austin, The Rock, Bret Hart, The Ministray of Darkness, DX.... some fair dinkum charactors who were entertaining. Now days there is very little entertaining about it. I'd be lucky to watch or read more then an hour a month on this anymore, which is why im constantly harping on about the golden era.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

By your logic you could never name the greatest movie, the greatest song, the most beautiful woman... wrestlers can be compared to each other about their ability to tell a story in the ring, how well they connect with an audience, their technical brilliance, how much money they draw, how long their careers last etc... Pro wrestling combines many more skills than are needed to be a Hollywood actor or a footy player.

And in saying that, while Foley is GOD, I may have been a bit over-zealous in calling him the best of all time, when we all know that honour goes to this man:

Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

Michael wrote: but it never makes sense to me when people say 'so and so is the greatest of all time because he's won 5 Spandex Cups' or whatever...I mean, if its pre-determined, how does winning make you better?
It doesn't. Your anology about Sly is perfect. Nobody thinks he is better because he won a fake boxing match. Just like nobody thinks Foley is the best because of his win/loss record.

Mick Foley has lost most of the best matches he was involved in. Wrestling isn't about winning and losing, its about the story telling (like TV and Movies)
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

GCR wrote:
By your logic you could never name the greatest movie, the greatest song, the most beautiful woman... wrestlers can be compared to each other about their ability to tell a story in the ring, how well they connect with an audience, their technical brilliance, how much money they draw, how long their careers last etc... Pro wrestling combines many more skills than are needed to be a Hollywood actor or a footy player.
You're missing my point - I get how a wrestler can be considered in the same way as an actor can, in terms of talent, presence, performance etc - I get that part. But I don't get when people say "so and so is the greatest wrestler" based on the number of times he has won something. Because he hasn't 'won' in the way that a sporting team wins a championship, or the way an actor wins an award, because its pre-determined who wins. As I said before, nobody says Sly Stallone is the greatest boxer of all-time because he beat Carl Weathers, Dolph Lungren, Mr T and Hulk Hogan do they? Because its not real.
Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

Michael wrote:. But I don't get when people say "so and so is the greatest wrestler" based on the number of times he has won something.
Who says that? Not anyone who is a wrestling fan I'm sure

I know GCR made the comment that Foley is a 4 time champion, but I don't think he meant that as "proof" that Foley is great.

4 time champ is nothing nowadays
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Ok Wrestling fans, a little bit of something to spark some interest and debate on this place
Name your top 5 favourite... not who you think was the best but who your favourites were:
*Technical wrestlers
*Promo wrestlers
*Entertainment wrestlers
*Big Guy Wrestlers
*Small Guy Wrestlers
*Managers/valets
*Tag Teams
*Stables
*Fueds
*Worst storylines
*Wrestler over all

In no order:
TECHNICAL WRESTLERS: Kurt Angle, Bret Hart, Chris Beniot, Mr Perfect and Chris Jericho

PROMO WRESTLERS: The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bret Hart, E&C and Raven

ENTERTAINMENT WRESTLERS: The Undertaker, Shaun Michaels, Mick Foley, Ultimate Warrior and Macho Man Randy Savage

BIG GUY WRESTLERS: The Giant, Andre the Giant, Earthquake, King Kong Bundy and Kane

SMALL GUY WRESTLERS: Rey Mysterio Jr, Billy Kidman, Chris Jericho, Pshycosis and AJ Styles

MANAGERS/VALETS: Paul Bearer, Queen Sherri, Jimmy Hart, Davari (Hussain didnt get a good enough run imo, he was awesome!) and Teddy Long (playa!)

TAG TEAMS: The Outsiders, Legion Of Doom, Natural Disasters, New Age Outlaws, Rock n Sock connection and E&C

STABLES: DX, Hart Foundation, nWo, Evolution and the Corperation(4 Horsemen were ****!!!)... Nation of Domination, unlukey to miss out, same with Wolfpac and the Flock

FUEDS: Taker V Mankind, Rock V Jericho (OMG, the LOLz on the promos!!), Austin V McMahons, Shaun Michaels v Bret Hart, Bret Hart v Owen Hart

WORST STORYLINES: Kane w/ Kate Vick (Necrophilia, really?!!?), WCW Invasion (Could have been so SO good, what a balls up), DDP Stalking Undertaker's wife (shocking waste of DDP's talents), Mysterio's push to win the title off the back of Eddie's death (i hated the way they used his death to push talent, eddie was one of my favs) and reformed nWo (Hulk, Nash and Hall were all old, injury prone and terrible at the time)

WRESTLERS OVER ALL: Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, Mick Foley, Edge and The Rock.... Eddie Geurrero, Stone Cold, Macho Man, Kurt Angle... wow, heaps more that could have easily made my top 5
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Wiggy wrote:Who says that? Not anyone who is a wrestling fan I'm sure

I know GCR made the comment that Foley is a 4 time champion, but I don't think he meant that as "proof" that Foley is great.

4 time champ is nothing nowadays
Yep, i was reffering the the fact that Foley was able to come back - nine years after retiring as a full-time wrestler - and claim the most important title in the pro wrestling world, the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. He was able to do that because he makes make, draws in viewers, sells out arenas and can still put on a bloody good match.

Hell, if title reigns = greatness, Edge would be considered a superstar :lol: As it is he's one of the biggest jokes going around at the moment...
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

:o
How can you not rate Edge? He's the best thing the WWE have going for it right now... Randy Orton aside
He's good on the mic, he's as sound as it gets in the ring techincally these days, he can play a face and a heel equally as good and he has carried some very ordinary wrestlers to a damn good match recently.
He's awesome... though i do think they've over done his reign a bit. It's getting stale like HHH when he was WC for about 4 years straight
Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

I gotta say. I love Edge. His matches are always HIGHLY entertaining.

Edge vs Christian.... Thats what I want to see.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Raider_69 wrote::o
How can you not rate Edge? He's the best thing the WWE have going for it right now...
That's not saying much :lol:

Edge has been rubbish since Christian stopped making him look good, and the only reason he's ever drawn heat from the crowd is because he screwed his mate's missus and then road the coat tails of Eddie Guerrero's widow.

He's a midcarder at best, and represents all that's wrong with the WWE. Ah well, he can continue his never-ending feud with John Cena and rack up another 10,000 meaningless titles wins for all I care - I'll keep watching true superstars like AJ Styles, Chris Daniels and the Guns over on TNA. Cross the line!
Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

GCR wrote:I'll keep watching true superstars like AJ Styles, Chris Daniels and the Guns over on TNA. Cross the line!
I honestly feel sorrt for you GCR. I watch both TNA and WWE and enjoy them both. I would hate not watching one or the other and missing out on the all the goodness.

How good was Backlash! Also how good was Lockdown!

It's great watching them both
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

I watch Raw and Smackdown when I can, but I get sick of watching basically the same show week after week. I can go three or four months without watching Raw and when I come back, Randy Orton and Triple H are STILL fueding. And the matches are so bloody slow :( I enjoy watching old PPVs/ DVDs though.

I didn't see Backlash (WresteMania was enough for me :nooo ) but Lockdown was awesome. Best PPV in years.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA, this is hilarious.

Sorry to the wrestling fans for hijacking your thread but I saw GCR's name and had to butt in.

So Rowan old pal, you cannot stand soccer because it is a wussy game played by pansies....yet you like watching sweaty steroid fueled men role playing a fight and pretending to hit each other with chairs etc? Wow....
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

In fairness, Rowan would probably appreciate soccer a lot more if the players were steriod freaks in spandex hotpants.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

*Technical wrestlers
Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Chris Benoit, Curt Hennig, Ric Flair

*Promo wrestlers
The Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Jake the Snake

*Entertainment wrestlers
Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Undertaker, Kane, The Sandman

*Big Guy Wrestlers
Undertaker, Andre the Giant, Vader, Kane, Big Bossman

*Small Guy Wrestlers
Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Shawn Michaels, Rey Mysterio, Brian Pillman

*Managers/valets
Bobby Hennan, James Cornette, Paul E Dangerously, Jimmy Hart, Sunny

*Tag Teams
Hart Foundation, The Rockers, Legion of Doom, Midnight Express, Hardy Boyz

*Stables
NWO, 4 Horsemen, DX, Hart Foundation, First Family

*Fueds
Austin vs McMahon, Austin vs Bret Hart, Austin vs The Rock, Bret vs Owen, Jake the Snake vs Macho Man

*Worst storylines
Kane/HHH in 02 (HHH rooting a corpse), McMahon death angle, Hogan running over The Rock, WCW in general past 97, WCW Invasion

*Wrestler over all
Bret Hart, Owen Hart, The Rock, Steve Austin, Mr Perfect
Last edited by -GD- on May 1, 2009, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Michael wrote:In fairness, Rowan would probably appreciate soccer a lot more if the players were steriod freaks in spandex hotpants.
with or without a Mask???
This place is woke.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Woodgers wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA, this is hilarious.

Sorry to the wrestling fans for hijacking your thread but I saw GCR's name and had to butt in.

So Rowan old pal, you cannot stand soccer because it is a wussy game played by pansies....yet you like watching sweaty steroid fueled men role playing a fight and pretending to hit each other with chairs etc? Wow....
I can't stand soccer because it's a boring, female-oriented sport that has a flawed scoring system. I also dislike the arrogant twats who play and watch the sport.

And to suggest that soccer players are tougher than wrestlers :lol: :lol: :lol: How about Kurt Angle, who won an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL with a broken neck? That's just a little be tougher than flouncing onto a soccer pitch and falling over as soon as another shirt-lifter comes near.

You have no idea about pro wrestling, so just please go back to hassling it for being 'fake' while raving on about the latest Hollywood blockbuster.
Last edited by The Naked Zombie on May 1, 2009, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Michael wrote:In fairness, Rowan would probably appreciate soccer a lot more if the players were steriod freaks in spandex hotpants.
Seriously, do you need to make homosexual references in every post? Go see a psychologist, dude.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

GCR wrote:
Woodgers wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA, this is hilarious.

I can't stand soccer because it's a boring, female-oriented sport that has a flawed scoring system. I also dislike the arrogant twats who play and watch the sport.

And to suggest that soccer players are tougher than wrestlers :lol: :lol: :lol: How about Kurt Angle, who won an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL with a broken neck? Or Brock Lesnar who walked into UFC and won the world title after a couple of matches? That's just a little be tougher than flouncing onto a soccer pitch and falling over as soon as another shirt-lifter comes near.

You have no idea about pro wrestling, so just please go back to hassling it for being 'fake' while raving on about the latest Hollywood blockbuster.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

GCR wrote:
Seriously, do you need to make homosexual references in every post? Go see a psychologist, dude.
Not every post - just the ones where I'm putting **** on you.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

You're right, I do know nothing about it. If it is on the tele I honestly prefer flick it over to lawn bowls on ABC. It is **** american theatre.

What it isn't fake? Get some brains into ya. You blokes are in here going on about 'storylines' etc.

Bottom line, you hate soccer which is the most popular game in the world. A few bozo American's who don't understand the difference between real life and stage show like Wrestling, along with a few yankee wannabes. End of. It isn't even a blip on the radar.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

*Technical wrestlers: Kirk Angel, Ric Flair, Chris Benoit, Samoa Joe, Chris Daniels

*Promo wrestlers: Ric Flair, Mick Foley, Brother Ray, Stone Cold, Rocky

*Entertainment wrestlers: Jericho, Foley, Sabu, RVD

*Big Guy Wrestlers: Show, Abyss, Matt Morgan, Big Sexy, Andre

*Small Guy Wrestlers: AJ Styles, Chris Sabin, Alex Shelley, Chris Daniels, Bryan Danielson

*Managers/valets: The Brain, Cornette, Heyman, Bearer, Bill Alfonso

*Tag Teams: Beer Money, Team 3D/ Dudley Boyz, Motor City Machine Guns, Booker T and Goldust, LAX

*Stables: DX, Main Event Mafia, Evolution, Horsemen, nWo, bWo

*Fueds: Stone Cold vs McMahon, Rocky vs Mankind, Dreamer vs Raven, HHH vs HBK, Joe vs Angle

*Worst storylines: Katie Vick, Eddiesploitation, anything involving Edge, Lance Storm is boring, Molly Holly has a fat ****

*Wrestler over all: Foley, Sabin, Styles, Joe, Jericho, Angle
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Woodgers wrote:You're right, I do know nothing about it. If it is on the tele I honestly prefer flick it over to lawn bowls on ABC. It is **** american theatre.

What it isn't fake? Get some brains into ya. You blokes are in here going on about 'storylines' etc.

Bottom line, you hate soccer which is the most popular game in the world. A few bozo American's who don't understand the difference between real life and stage show like Wrestling, along with a few yankee wannabes. End of. It isn't even a blip on the radar.
Your line of reasoning is bizarre to say the least. It's like saying 'how can you like pizza if you don't like disco music'. The two forms of entertainment in question have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. I understand that you're hurt that I - along with the vast majority of Australians - believe that soccer is garbage, but that's no reason to compare it to wrestling.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you love heading along to the movies and catching the latest (fake) Hollywood blockbuster - hypocrite! Wrestling promoters have openly admitted that the result of wrestling matches are predetermined for 15 years. Not that you'd know, as you are trying in vain to discuss something you don't even have a vague idea about.