Curry, Klay, Iggy, KD and Green at centre is their new death line up
Best of luck with everything, NBA
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Re: NBA Thread

Post by Manchild »

Thunder have lost Serge Ibaka and Durant in one go. Gained guard Victor Oladipo and Ersan Ilyasova. Westbrook has also advised that he is not going to extend his contract with them at this stage. He only has 1 year left. If he goes then the Thunder will be rebuilding for a while.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Tim Duncan retired.
PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Tim Duncan retired.
The greatest 4 of all time, and top 5 player in my life time.
Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Crazy to think he and Kobe are no longer going to be playing in the NBA

Duncan was incredible at his peak.
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Going to be weird not seeing Duncan or Kobe this year. They've been there my entire NBA viewing life. Legends.

Australia and Philly related, Ben Simmons is going to have a tough go of it scoring the ball straight away, but boy oh boy his passing and court vision is off the charts.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

He was definitely a blessing to the Spurs after Dave Robinson. Best PF to have played the game in my eyes anyway.
1990baby
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by 1990baby »

Would any of you boys be keen for fantasy NBA?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Usually a comps running, I know **** all about nba so I stank last time
hiriser
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hiriser »

KG > Duncan.

Duncan is a great player but definitely one of the most overrated along with Kobe.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

hiriser wrote:KG > Duncan.

Duncan is a great player but definitely one of the most overrated along with Kobe.
Ooooffff big call there mate. Over rated is not what I would call Kobe and TD.
hiriser
Sam Backo

Post by hiriser »

Overrated in the perspective of what the general public rate them in an all time players list.

I've seen people claim Duncan is Top 5 all time and Kobe around the #8 spot. To me that's overrated simply based on their incredibly lucky team situations their entire career.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

hiriser wrote:Overrated in the perspective of what the general public rate them in an all time players list.

I've seen people claim Duncan is Top 5 all time and Kobe around the #8 spot. To me that's overrated simply based on their incredibly lucky team situations their entire career.
So do you put MJ in that list seen as thought the 90's Bulls team was stacked with talent?
hiriser
Sam Backo

Post by hiriser »

Nope. Different situations.

As much as i hate superstar calls, and the fact that they only started with MJ, you have to realise that success didn't come to MJ from day one. He started his career with a pretty poor team in an era where the Lakers and Celtics dominated and then once started having some success, got beaten down repeatedly by the Pistons. Once he got to the finals, he never lost. 6 from 6.

His teams had talent but you would say only Pippen was a bona-fide star. Kukoc wasn't bad and Rodman was great defensively but the other guys were simply really savvy vets. At the end of the day when the big play was to be made, MJ delivered.

Now let's look at Duncan. As a rookie, walks into a team with David Robinson and loads of other solid defensive players like Avery Johnson, Sean Elliot with the GOAT (IMO) coach Pop. They lucked out in a way by winning a title in a lockout year against a really average Knicks team. They have had the best Front Office in the league for the last 2 decades and get players like Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili late in the draft. Pop who is the undisputed leader of the team has a knack of turning misfits into solid solid players such as Bruce Bowen, Stephen Jackson, Patty Mills, Danny Green.....the list goes on and on. My point is you plug and play numerous big men into the same situation and you probably get the same results.

Kobe has had it even better. Walks into a team with Shaq and Phil Jackson playing for a big market team the Lakers. As soon as Shaq goes, he gets another twin tower combo a couple of years later in Bynum/Gasol along with Odom. And here is the biggest thing, the league wants/needs the Lakers to do well. The number of rigged series/titles for the Lakers is incredible.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

Pig and Matt you two will like this one based on your stat loving ways.

The science behind NBA team’s high five stat

NBA side the Phoenix Suns are taking teamwork to a new level.
This season, they are keeping track of high-fives, hoping it will create more camaraderie and a better atmosphere around the team, reports the New York Post.
“We have a high-five stat,” Suns coach Earl Watson told NBA.com. “This is true. So we want to keep track of how many high-fives we get per game to each other.”
There is actually science behind it.
Dacher Keltner, a psychology professor at Cal-Berkeley, documented all the fist bumps, embraces and high fives in one game for each NBA team in 2015.
He found the teams that embrace the most were the most successful: Those teams helped each other more on defence, set more screens and played more cohesively on offence.
“Not only did they win more games, but there’s really nice basketball statistics of how selfless the play is,” Keltner said.
The Suns need every extra win they can get: They replaced Jeff Hornacek — who eventually landed with the Knicks — midway through last season with Watson, and wound up with the fourth-worst record in the NBA at 23-59.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/the-scienc ... 16c3a1d2fa
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Seems like a chicken and the egg kinda thing. I'd be embracing my team mates more if we were scoring and winning more games.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

This Shannon Sharpe guy doesn't seem to be particularly smart http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/shan ... cks-120816
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That show is an abomination to sports television
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Pigman wrote:That show is an abomination to sports television
I've never watched it, I assume I better off that way
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Notaroboticfish wrote:
Pigman wrote:That show is an abomination to sports television
I've never watched it, I assume I better off that way
Yep
Skip Bayliss used to be on ESPN doing First Take with Screamin A Smith. Was signed away to fox to essentially reproduced the idiocy that was on that program with scorching white hot takes on sport which is designed to do nothing but rile people up

The premise behind these shows is for the hosts to take turns making absolutely ridiculous takes, and have the other rally the masses against said take

Skip Bayliss has made a lot of money off being the perfect guy to say dumb **** and get everyone so angry at him that they tune in day after day out of that anger

That said "all hot takes matter" (or Undisputed, as it's officially known) rates like a tyre fire
God willing it'll be cancelled
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Going to Orlando vs Toronto later today.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How much for the tickets? I was looking at Knicks tickets and the nosebleeds were 180 and I just can't justify it being a casual fan.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

gergreg wrote:How much for the tickets? I was looking at Knicks tickets and the nosebleeds were 180 and I just can't justify it being a casual fan.
$15 for nosebleeds from memory. Keep in mind it's a small team so the tickets are considerably cheaper than other places
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

been a great season for the rockets thus far.

Also good too see:-
- lakers losing
- GSW looking a bit more vulnerable
- The East still sucking but not as much as previous years.

I am excited about the playoffs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cavs dont look right, they'll win this series because the Pacers are pretty trash PG aside, but i dont think they are locks for the finals
the Bucks absolute **** gave it to the Raps, they're such an awkward team, they'll be a very tough out and wont shock me if they advance
The Jazz are every chance to send the Clips home in round 1. I like their team a lot.
Spurs and Griz is a formality, especially now Allen is out

I think the Celts will absolutely handle the Bulls and the concerns about them are off base... at least for round 1. I dont think the Celts will get past round 2.
Wiz are my sneaky East finals winners, think they're primed to take the Cavs all the way. Atlanta wont be a match for them save for one random hot game
Houston are going to do the job on OKC fairly easily and their series against the Spurs is going to be awesome
I could see the Blazers having one insane McCollum/Lillard game where they go 15/26 from 3 and KD looks a little rusty, and Steph has an off night. 1 game is all they can hope for and frankly i think the Warriors will have to be playing very poorly to see a game 6 in the entire west.

This is absolutely the Warriors ring to lose, they cant gag this away
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

Pigman wrote:Cavs dont look right, they'll win this series because the Pacers are pretty trash PG aside, but i dont think they are locks for the finals
the Bucks absolute **** gave it to the Raps, they're such an awkward team, they'll be a very tough out and wont shock me if they advance
The Jazz are every chance to send the Clips home in round 1. I like their team a lot.
Spurs and Griz is a formality, especially now Allen is out

I think the Celts will absolutely handle the Bulls and the concerns about them are off base... at least for round 1. I dont think the Celts will get past round 2.
Wiz are my sneaky East finals winners, think they're primed to take the Cavs all the way. Atlanta wont be a match for them save for one random hot game
Houston are going to do the job on OKC fairly easily and their series against the Spurs is going to be awesome
I could see the Blazers having one insane McCollum/Lillard game where they go 15/26 from 3 and KD looks a little rusty, and Steph has an off night. 1 game is all they can hope for and frankly i think the Warriors will have to be playing very poorly to see a game 6 in the entire west.

This is absolutely the Warriors ring to lose, they cant gag this away
Celtics can go either way right now. Thomas's sister was just killed in a car crash so who knows how this will effect him on the court if he even makes it on the court.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh celts! I put my faith in you.
The IT Lil sis stuff is playing a role here but man they are just getting KILLED on the boards.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Will be interesting to see how the Cavs bounce back after the thrashing the other night. Durant was just amazing. It's all anybody wants to talk about over here.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I really think this is going to be a sweep, maybe Bron gets 1 at home... but I think this warriors team is LOCKED in and ready to atone for last year
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

KD to the Warriors was never going to be good for the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don't know
I'm **** excited to see this team go 16-0 if they can pull it off
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wow. That was **** brutal from Durant and the Warriors in the last few minutes.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They're too good
LeBron finished the game +7 in 46 minutes in a game they lost by 5

So in the 2 minutes he was off the floor, the cavs were -12
Haha
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

The Cleveland Lebronaliers

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

That Draymond Green non-ejection is a really bad look for the NBA. It's had scandals about rigging in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if this game is

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk