From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NBA Thread

Post by Botman »

Embiid is going #1st

the Cavs dont have a big guy, they need one... Unless his back is totally ****, it's Embiid
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by SubLime Green »

There is talk of Cleveland looking to trade their pick for Kevin Love. I wouldn't imagine Minnesota would be completely against the idea given they will probably lose him in the free agency next year if they don't trade. The draft class is good enough that KLove might be a realistic trade for #1 overall pick.

Although if KLove wants playoffs, I can't see him being too excited about going to Cleveland.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

Looks like Exum will head to Orlando also, i cannot see Boston or the Lakers trading up for him. Also thinking the Lakers might make a run for Patty, could see them fitting him in there on about 4 mil a season, a nice upgrade for him.

Anyone see Ginoblis pass across the baseline in the second game Spurs/OKC game? Crazy, i think Spurs will sweep this series =]
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Not looking forward to another finals series with the Spurs to be honest.

I've got a lot of respect for what they've done over the last, what is it, seems like forever. Still hoping for Pacers v Thunder.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

SubLime Green wrote:There is talk of Cleveland looking to trade their pick for Kevin Love. I wouldn't imagine Minnesota would be completely against the idea given they will probably lose him in the free agency next year if they don't trade. The draft class is good enough that KLove might be a realistic trade for #1 overall pick.

Although if KLove wants playoffs, I can't see him being too excited about going to Cleveland.
that'd be interesting.

I dont know if i want to go there if im Klove, not with big markets like LA, NYK and CHI knocking on the door looking to get involved
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Jon Tuxworth @Tuxy81 · 22m
This quarter is one of the greatest moments in Australian basketball history.

Jon Tuxworth @Tuxy81 · 14m
patty in top three Canberra sports achievements ever i think. Maybe no.1. Thoughts?

Jon Tuxworth @Tuxy81 · 5m
Surely Patty gets offered a reception in Canberra or something @ABarrMLA?
How good is this Spurs team. Probably should've been going for their own 3 peat next year
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

As Jeff Goodman reports, Joel Embiid suffered a foot injury. Cavs want to workout Dante Exum for No. 1 spot now too, sources tell Yahoo.
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by SubLime Green »

So Lebron James back to Cleveland. The Cavs outlook on 2014/15 would have changed pretty dramatically since the lottery!
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

How good is Canberra Basketball going, geez, we must be the nerve centre of talent in the world. Mills, Exum, Lauren Jackson. Send over your scouts!
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

NBA star LeBron James leaves Miami Heat to return to former club Cleveland Cavaliers
Posted 7 hours 17 minutes ago

LeBron James celebrates after winning game two of the 2009 NBA East finals for Cleveland v Orlando.
PHOTO: After four years in Miami, NBA star LeBron James is returning to his former club to play for the Cleveland Cavaliers. (Gregory Shamus: Getty Images)
RELATED STORY: Aussie star Mills scores 17 as Spurs win NBA titleRELATED STORY: LeBron opts out of Heat contract to become free agent
MAP: United States
LeBron James is returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers four years after he left his home state to join the Miami Heat, he said on Saturday (AEST).

The NBA's biggest star made the announcement in a first-person essay published in Sports Illustrated. It came in stark contrast to his televised decision four years ago for which he was heavily criticised.

LeBron James career summary

Age 29
Height 2.03m
Drafted 2003
NBA Rookie of the Year 2004
NBA All-Star 10 times
NBA Scoring Champion 2008
MVP All-Star Game Twice
Olympic gold medal 2008, 2012
NBA Titles 20012, 2013
MVP NBA Finals 2012, 2013
NBA MVP Four times
Under a banner headline "I'm Coming Home", James explained his decision to go back to Cleveland after leading a star-studded Miami Heat team to two NBA championships and four Eastern Conference titles.

"Before anyone ever cared where I would play basketball, I was a kid from Northeast Ohio. It's where I walked. It's where I ran. It's where I cried. It's where I bled. It holds a special place in my heart. People there have seen me grow up," James wrote.

"I sometimes feel like I'm their son. Their passion can be overwhelming. But it drives me. I want to give them hope when I can. I want to inspire them when I can. My relationship with Northeast Ohio is bigger than basketball. I didn't realize that four years ago. I do now."

The Heat, Phoenix Suns, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Los Angeles Lakers all had expressed interest in signing James, who is widely regarded as the best basketball player on the planet.

The frenzy over the 29-year-old forward's eventual landing spot was the biggest the NBA had seen since James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all signed contracts to team up in Miami in 2010.

James, who was on the losing end of a humbling five-game defeat by the San Antonio Spurs in last month's NBA Finals, opted out of the final two years of his contract with Miami to become a free agent who could negotiate with any team.

"These past four years helped raise me into who I am. I became a better player and a better man," James, who grew up in Akron, Ohio, said about his time with the Heat.

"I will always think of Miami as my second home. Without the experiences I had there, I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing today."

Heat owner Micky Arison was crushed.

"I am shocked and disappointed in today's news. However I will never forget what Lebron brought us for 4 years. Thanks for memories @KingJames," Arison said on Twitter.

Cleveland overjoyed at star signing

Meanwhile, euphoria reigned in Cleveland.

"Welcome Home @kingjames. I am excited for the fans and people of Cleveland and Ohio. No fans and people deserve a winner more than them....." tweeted Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert.

No Cleveland team has won a major professional league title in 50 years since the 1964 Browns won the National Football League crown.

That could all be changing soon with the return of James, who took an overmatched Cavaliers team to the NBA Finals in 2007 when they were swept by San Antonio.

The addition of James to a young roster featuring premier point guard Kyrie Irving, 22, and last month's overall number one draft pick Andrew Wiggins, 19, is expected to shift the balance of power in the NBA and bookmakers reacted swiftly.

Cleveland, which has never won an NBA title in 44 years of existence and was 33-49 last season, was listed as 4-1 favorite to win next season's NBA title, with San Antonio rated 5-1 while Miami blew out to odds of 50-1.

James, a 10-time NBA All-Star who was drafted first overall by Cleveland in 2003, has averaged 27.5 points, 7.2 rebounds and 6.9 assists per game in 11 NBA seasons.

"When I left Cleveland, I was on a mission. I was seeking championships, and we won two," James said.

"Our city hasn't had that feeling in a long, long, long time. My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But what's most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio."

James stopped short of guaranteeing a title, but heartily accepted the mission.

"In Northeast Ohio, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have," said James.

"I'm ready to accept the challenge. I'm coming home."

Reuters

Topics: sport, basketball, united-states
Im just, bicking back being bool
manbearpig
Brett Mullins

Post by manbearpig »

Great story. Love the catch phrase "I'm coming home"
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

RRAAIIDDEERRSS wrote:Great story. Love the catch phrase "I'm coming home"
Can't wait for Meninga to do the same for the raiders.
manbearpig
Brett Mullins

Post by manbearpig »

Begbie wrote:
:thumbsup :thumbsup . I was actually going to say the same but instead of Meninga put Dugan there.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Begbie wrote:
Settle down. Just thought it was a funny coincidence. No need to take the piss mate.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

Paul George broke his leg. Bloody horrific. Will be very hard to come back from this.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Manchild wrote:Paul George broke his leg. Bloody horrific. Will be very hard to come back from this.

That's one of the worst things I've ever seen..
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I dont know who he is but I saw this on twitter and yuk.

I think Silv in the UFC was worse but that was from contact but this is still very ugly
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

KLove signed with the Cavs. Their odds must have dropped considerably. They will be a very good team this season.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Not NBA, but it seems FIBA gets Australian slang :lol:

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Basketball world cup final tomorrow morning.

Go #TeamSerbia!
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired New York Knicks guards J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert in a multi-team trade that also sends guard Dion Waiters to the Oklahoma City Thunder, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Oklahoma City gives the Cavaliers a protected future first-round draft pick and sends guard Lance Thomas to the Knicks, league sources said. As part of the trade, the Cavaliers sent rookie center Alex Kirk, forward Lou Amundson and a 2019 second-round pick to the Knicks, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--c ... 58853.html

I cannot see ol' JR buying into the Cavs culture. He suits the Knicks.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

Last minute trades;

To Brooklyn Nets: Thaddeus Young; To Minnesota Timberwolves: Kevin Garnett

To Milwaukee Bucks: Michael Carter-Williams, Tyler Ennis, Miles Plumlee; To Philadelphia 76ers: LAL pick (protected); To Phoenix Suns: Brandon Knight

To Denver Nuggets: Will Barton, Victor Claver, Thomas Robinson, POR pick (protected), 2nd round pick; To Portland Trailblazers: Arron Afflalo, Alonzo Gee

To Boston Celtics: Isaiah Thomas; To Phoenix Suns: Marcus Thornton, CLE pick

To Detroit Pistons: Reggie Jackson; To Oklahoma City : D.J. Augustin, Enes Kanter, Steve Novak, Kyle Singler; To Utah Jazz: Kendrick Perkins, 1st round pick

To Miami Heat: Goran Dragic, Zoran Dragic; To New Orleans Pelicans: Norris Cole, Shawne Williams; To Phoenix Suns: Danny Granger, Justin Hamilton, John Salmons, two 1st round picks

To Boston Celtics: Luigi Datome, Jonas Jerebko; To Detroit Pistons: Tayshaun Prince

To Houston Rockets: Pablo Prigioni; To New York Knicks: Alexey Shved, two 2nd round picks

To Houston Rockets: K.J. McDaniels; To Philadelphia 76ers: Isaiah Canaan, 2nd round pick

To Denver Nuggets: Rights to Cenk Akyol; To Philadelphia 76ers: JaVale McGee, OKC pick (protected)

To Sacramento Kings: Andre Miller; To Washington Wizards: Ramon Sessions
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

A lot of movement. They were talking about a quiet deadline because a lot of movement happened weeks priors

I like that KG is going back the Mini, i think Celts getting Thomas was a good move, and Heat getting Dragic is pretty huge.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

Suns scored quite well with Granger and Brandon Knight and OKC got a fairly good point scorer in Enes Kanter and PG back-up with DJ Augustin. DJ was playing well when starting. Now he will be lucky to get 20mins behind Westbrook.
PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

Portland getting Afflalo is a sneakily good move. The Blazers' bench is notoriously weak so he could prove a very handy 6th man.
Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
TheSportress
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Gary Belcher

Post by TheSportress »

TheSportress
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Gary Belcher

Post by TheSportress »

NBA free agency has gone fine for the Knicks https://sportress.wordpress.com/2015/07 ... a-success/
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

https://twitter.com/Cussen91/status/669 ... 60/video/1

Some guy pours a beer on a kings player then acts like nothing has happened and continues drinking
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I'm a Celtics fan but still Kobe was a very good player and it's sad to see him go I suppose.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

What an absolute choke from GS. 3-1 up and lose on the back of the best NBA win record season ever. LeBron really can stand up and bring everyone with him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I don't think that was a choke job
LeBron just took over the series and unlike last year, he had a running mate with Kyrie
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

https://www.facebook.com/LilJon/videos/ ... 27/?type=3

Check this out, made me laugh.

Title was 'ESPN for the next 72 hrs'
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Cavs were paying $17 after game 4.

**** Lebron is a boss!
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Durant signs with the Warriors. First ever team to crack 80 wins?
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Durant signs with the Warriors. First ever team to crack 80 wins?
Time will only tell. Sometimes having so many point scoring options in a team can collide. A starting 5 of Curry, Clay, Green, Durant and Ezeli / Varejao (I think now that Bogut is gone) is pretty damn good though.

2 top 3 point shooters when they are going in Curry and Clay as well as Green and Durant both being pretty handy behind the arc combined with the driving game of Green and Durant and their offence is going to be insane.