NBA Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Lets go hornets today!!! I really hope they get up!

Westy to score 40 on 16 from 20 shooting (hopefully), 8/8 from the line, 16 rebounds and 4 blocks (all on Parker)
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Not looking good for hornets :cry:
nasty_daddy
John Ferguson

Post by nasty_daddy »

Shezza wrote:Not looking good for hornets :cry:
Hornets are gone now.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

nasty_daddy wrote:
Shezza wrote:Not looking good for hornets :cry:
Hornets are gone now.
they'll be back next year ... they need to get rid of mo pete for an athletic wing man who can guard the two guard spot though ...

Mike James should also go.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Damn!

Guess I am going for Boston now through a process of elimination. Would be good to see Pierce get a championship with the Celtics.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Butters wrote:Damn!

Guess I am going for Boston now through a process of elimination. Would be good to see Pierce get a championship with the Celtics.
Same here butters, every team I have gone for has lost...

magic, suns, Jazz, NO ... leaves celtics as the least hated.
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Shezza wrote:

Yeah, give me the Mavs, Nuggets or the Hornets any day. Even outside of the playoffs I rather the Clippers..
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Butters wrote:
Shezza wrote:

Yeah, give me the Mavs, Nuggets or the Hornets any day. Even outside of the playoffs I rather the Clippers..
Yeah I like the Clips also... Elton Brand is a unit.

See the lottery today? Chicago gets first pick - 17 balls out of the 1000 they had. crazy luck...

Michael Beazley will be a good player if they take him ...
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Shezza wrote:
Butters wrote:
Shezza wrote:

See the lottery today? Chicago gets first pick - 17 balls out of the 1000 they had. crazy luck...

I did read that, they were in line to get the 9th pick weren't they? Best luck in the history of the lottery draft.

I really hope a team I like picks up Nathan Jawai. Wasn't little Patty Mills going to try and make the draft also.. Australian Basketballing talent is on the up! I am loving it.

For those who don't know...

Nathan Jawai, PF/C, Australia

Jawai is trying to become the first indigenous Australian to be drafted by the NBA. The big man from Thursday Island averaged 17.7 ppg and 9.6 rpg on 58 percent shooting this year in the Australian NBL league.

He arrived from Australia on Sunday night and was going through his first workout in Vegas alongside Alabama's Richard Hendrix and fellow Aussie Aleks Maric.

What I saw was encouraging.

Jawai has the size of a NBA player. He's a 6-foot-10 big man with a 7-foot-5 wingspan and weighs roughly 270 pounds. He is very strong and a good athlete for someone that size. Despite his size, he's pretty light on his feet and shows the footwork of a former soccer player.

What surprised me were Jawai's skills facing the basket. He has a very soft touch and great range out to about 18 feet. He showed an excellent understanding of the game and went through the workout like a seasoned pro.

Jawai has been criticized for his poor conditioning in Australia. He's already lost some weight training in Australia and expects to lose another 15 pounds over the next few weeks training with Abunasser. He also needs to hit the weight room. While he possesses natural strength, his body doesn't look like he's really ever lifted seriously.

Look for him to be very popular in draft workouts. His game resembles Elton Brand's. Usually you can't say that about players in the second half of the first round. Only six NBA teams made the trip to Australia this year, so most scouts are working off video tape. Unfortunately he's skipping the Orlando pre-draft camp, where we could see him in 5-on-5 play. But it shouldn't damage his stock. As he gets in shape and gets into team workouts, his draft stock should take a leap. I think at the end of the day, someone takes him in first round.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Butters wrote:
Shezza wrote:
Butters wrote:
Shezza wrote:

I did read that, they were in line to get the 9th pick weren't they? Best luck in the history of the lottery draft.

I really hope a team I like picks up Nathan Jawai. Wasn't little Patty Mills going to try and make the draft also.. Australian Basketballing talent is on the up! I am loving it.

For those who don't know...

Nathan Jawai, PF/C, Australia

Jawai is trying to become the first indigenous Australian to be drafted by the NBA. The big man from Thursday Island averaged 17.7 ppg and 9.6 rpg on 58 percent shooting this year in the Australian NBL league.

He arrived from Australia on Sunday night and was going through his first workout in Vegas alongside Alabama's Richard Hendrix and fellow Aussie Aleks Maric.

What I saw was encouraging.

Jawai has the size of a NBA player. He's a 6-foot-10 big man with a 7-foot-5 wingspan and weighs roughly 270 pounds. He is very strong and a good athlete for someone that size. Despite his size, he's pretty light on his feet and shows the footwork of a former soccer player.

What surprised me were Jawai's skills facing the basket. He has a very soft touch and great range out to about 18 feet. He showed an excellent understanding of the game and went through the workout like a seasoned pro.

Jawai has been criticized for his poor conditioning in Australia. He's already lost some weight training in Australia and expects to lose another 15 pounds over the next few weeks training with Abunasser. He also needs to hit the weight room. While he possesses natural strength, his body doesn't look like he's really ever lifted seriously.

Look for him to be very popular in draft workouts. His game resembles Elton Brand's. Usually you can't say that about players in the second half of the first round. Only six NBA teams made the trip to Australia this year, so most scouts are working off video tape. Unfortunately he's skipping the Orlando pre-draft camp, where we could see him in 5-on-5 play. But it shouldn't damage his stock. As he gets in shape and gets into team workouts, his draft stock should take a leap. I think at the end of the day, someone takes him in first round.
Agreed ... watched him a couple of times this year for Cairns... hope he gets a good chance for whoever drafts him...

Did Pat Mills enter the draft? Hope he gets picked up... He had a decent year if I recall correctly for whatever college he played for.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Re: NBA Thread

Post by Shezza »

Celtics win on the road ... wow, like wow ...

I'm feeling a Lakers Celtics finals coming up. WHo would have guessed that this time last year....

If spurs lose today, they are in all sorts of strife
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Should be a good finals series. I think lakers in 6, but I hope the Celts get it.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
Tina Furner
David Furner

Post by Tina Furner »

I hate the Celtics so much!

Fox said that games 4 and 5 are at Staples, is that correct??
Herbert dug a hole

Good on ya Herb!
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Tina Furner wrote:I hate the Celtics so much!

Fox said that games 4 and 5 are at Staples, is that correct??
Yeah, its a 2-3-2 format in the finals.

I hate the Lakers so much!

I hate the celtics a bit less.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
Tina Furner
David Furner

Post by Tina Furner »

Lakers are done.

Surrendering two massive leads... Should be up 3-2.... Series will be over whenever the next game is.
Herbert dug a hole

Good on ya Herb!
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I would agree with that. Boston at home will roll them easily.

Pierce has been > Kobe this series
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
cdh49
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Josh McCrone

Post by cdh49 »

Love the Lakers!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Planning to get to some Raptors games now I live here in Toronto :cool:
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

thickos wrote:Planning to get to some Raptors games now I live here in Toronto :cool:
sweet... mega jealous!! i really want to get over to the US to watch some games live. Toronto will be half decent this year also
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

Shezza wrote:
thickos wrote:Planning to get to some Raptors games now I live here in Toronto :cool:
sweet... mega jealous!! i really want to get over to the US to watch some games live. Toronto will be half decent this year also
Yep... I don't really feel Toronto but they should be a force this year. Plus, this is where Jawai is heading yes?
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Jawai is a Raptor, correct.

Meh basketball doesn't do it for me anyway but I'm not going to turn down the chance to catch some NBA, see what the fuss is about...
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

I love the NBA, im a New Jersey Nets fan, could be a long year 4 the Nets, but they have been cleaning the decks, so they can get Lebron James on board when they move 2 Brooklyn, they have a sht load of cash since they traded J Kidd and Richard Jefferson, they may ever oust Vince Carter this yr, i hope they dont, Vince and Lebron would run amuck.

I hope big Nathan Jawai get some minutes 4 Toronto this yr, i went and seen him play a few games in Cairns, sht hes a big man, but he has a cardiac problem i think so he will miss the start of the NBA season.
R@IDER
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by R@IDER »

greenraider7 wrote:I love the NBA, im a New Jersey Nets fan, could be a long year 4 the Nets, but they have been cleaning the decks, so they can get Lebron James on board when they move 2 Brooklyn, they have a sht load of cash since they traded J Kidd and Richard Jefferson, they may ever oust Vince Carter this yr, i hope they dont, Vince and Lebron would run amuck.

I hope big Nathan Jawai get some minutes 4 Toronto this yr, i went and seen him play a few games in Cairns, sht hes a big man, but he has a cardiac problem i think so he will miss the start of the NBA season.
Nets got an absolute steal in Brook Lopez, he is going to be a very good Centre for a long time.

As for LBJ to Nets and Brooklyn, dosent even look like they gona be moving now and LBJ will be in NYK you would think as the marketing and $$$ will speak before the loyalty of the Cavs, who have an ageing team anyways.

My Rockets have been dissapointing and injuries the main cause so far (as uaual) still 10 games over .500 aint bad considering they have had no time to build chemistry. GO ROCKETS!!!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Going to Mavericks @ Raptors, March 1. Looking forward to it!

Also, when the hell did the Sonics fold/move? :o I thought there were some teams I didn't recognise when I checked the ladder in the paper here in Toronto...
R@IDER
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by R@IDER »

Im jealous!! Im so hanging out to go to an NBA game its not funny!!

The Sonics last season last year. The team has been moved to Oaklahoma and renamed the Oaklahoma City Thunder. Pretty lame name IMO considering how many other suggestions they had. The logo and uniforms are also pretty damn lame considering they got rid of an great frachise in the Sonics.
Oh the days of Shawn "The Rain Man" Kemp and Garry "The Glove" Payton!! :(
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Did the Sonics bust financially... tell me more.

Also where did Vancouver go? And Charlotte Hornets moved too?

I really am not a fan of 'inheriting' the history of a club from another city and another era. Seems weird. Why not start afresh? This Nth American system of plonking franchises in whatever city that suits, assuming everything is transferrable, I can't handle it.
R@IDER
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by R@IDER »

thickos wrote:Did the Sonics bust financially... tell me more.

Also where did Vancouver go? And Charlotte Hornets moved too?

I really am not a fan of 'inheriting' the history of a club from another city and another era. Seems weird. Why not start afresh? This Nth American system of plonking franchises in whatever city that suits, assuming everything is transferrable, I can't handle it.
Pretty sure the owners werent doing well yea financially and were hell bent on moving even with a lot of opposition from fans, but the man that mattered approved it (David Stern).

The inheriting of history from another club is a big issue because guys like Gary Payton and Sean Kemp said publically that they dont want their jerseys retired in Oaklahoma, which is fair enough. Pretty sad really, such great players in their time for a great organisation and now is all up in the air. Got to feel for their fans.

Vancouver Grizzlies have been gone for a while now and are now the Memphis Grizzlies and yep the team still sux!!
Charlotte Hornets are now the Charlotte Bobcats (new owners and MJ is the General Manager), and the hornets are now the New Orleans Hornets.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Oh right, I thought Charlotte moved to New Orleans.

Seems odd that another side would pick up the old nickname 'Hornets' :hmmm
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

R@IDER wrote:
greenraider7 wrote:I love the NBA, im a New Jersey Nets fan, could be a long year 4 the Nets, but they have been cleaning the decks, so they can get Lebron James on board when they move 2 Brooklyn, they have a sht load of cash since they traded J Kidd and Richard Jefferson, they may ever oust Vince Carter this yr, i hope they dont, Vince and Lebron would run amuck.

Nets got an absolute steal in Brook Lopez, he is going to be a very good Centre for a long time.

As for LBJ to Nets and Brooklyn, dosent even look like they gona be moving now and LBJ will be in NYK you would think as the marketing and $$$ will speak before the loyalty of the Cavs, who have an ageing team anyways.

My Rockets have been dissapointing and injuries the main cause so far (as uaual) still 10 games over .500 aint bad considering they have had no time to build chemistry. GO ROCKETS!!!
Yeah dont think they will move now, that will cost them big time with the 2010 free agrents, the Nets do have money but i doubt they will get any of the good free agents unless they are in Brooklyn, I now think LB will stay in Clevland, now that they have a good PG there to help him out, Mo WIlliams he is playing well, i think its a 3 horse race in the East with Boston, Clevland and Orlando, and the West its the Lakers and probably the Spurs.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

The NBA Trade Deadline is tomorrow, there will be some interesting moves happen i should think, theres already been a few trades this week.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

thickos wrote:Oh right, I thought Charlotte moved to New Orleans.

Seems odd that another side would pick up the old nickname 'Hornets' :hmmm
The Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans because the people of Charlotte had enough of the ineptitude of owner George Shinn and stopped attending games. They had a great team about 7-8 years ago with guys like Jamal Mashburn, Baron Davis, PJ Brown, Elden Campbell etc and nobody bothered to show up to their games.

The Charlotte Bobcats are a completely new franchise that have nothing to do with the Hornets.
#BoneMcCrone
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Cheers Buc.

For the record I have yet to make my debut appearance at an NBA game as my mate bought tickets to the Raptors match in Dallas.... :rant :lol: Am currently scouring for tickets to a remaining home match for Toronto... looking at the ticket information is very important :)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Here's one to make Buc jealous.

Now I know it's only the Oklahoma City Thunder vs Toronto Raptors @ Toronto, but... I have two tickets 10 rows from the floor :woot: :woot: :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Buc if you can get to Toronto by the 27th of March the other ticket is yours.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

thickos wrote:Here's one to make Buc jealous.

Now I know it's only the Oklahoma City Thunder vs Toronto Raptors @ Toronto, but... I have two tickets 10 rows from the floor :woot: :woot: :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Buc if you can get to Toronto by the 27th of March the other ticket is yours.
Damn that would be awesome.

There is absolutely no chance in hell of me making it to Toronto but damn dude, uber-jealousy.

There's nothing wrong with Oklahoma either. Durant looks like being an absolute megastar and even with him and Jeff Green out they have won 5 from their last 6 if I'm not mistaken. Keep an eye out for a young guy they recently acquired from the Bulls named Thabo Sefolosha. I saw his first ever NBA game and he impressed me with his athleticism and body-type (it looks like he has a 10" wingspan...). He didn't get much of a chance at the Bulls due to a glut of shooting guards but he's been starting at the Thunder and they have been on tear since he arrived.

I started an account with Sportingbet Australia at the start of the NBA season and I've almost tripled my money while betting almost every single day. I can't wait to be able to multi the Lakers with the Raiders and drown in my winnings.
#BoneMcCrone
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Mate I feel bad as you would get much more out of these tickets than I would as I am just a casual fan.

I am however looking forward to seeing some of these guys up close. Seeing them on TV, they're amazing athletes. That and to witness the hoopla of the NBA... should be good.

Interesting to gauge how the Toronto sporting public is. To be honest I'm not sure they're that knowledgable. With the Raptors it's pretty much 'Chris Bosh and the other guys' - that's how the media covers the Raptors anyway.

The Thunder was the best game to target as they just don't draw a crowd, and the season is close to the end.