Hardest sports to play

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

SubLime Green
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Hardest sports to play

Post by SubLime Green » April 13, 2011, 5:43 pm

Just saw this list on ESPN of the hardest 60 sports to play. Go to the link at the bottom if you want to see how they got the rankings. Just thought it was interesting. :)

Personally, I think Golf should be higher up and Polo probably should be on the list in place of Cheerleading. I'd have Polo up there as one of the toughest sports to play. I'm sure there are other things but that is what I noticed from skimming over it.

1. Boxing
2. Ice Hockey
3. Football
4. Basketball
5. Wrestling
6. Martial Arts
7. Tennis
8. Gymnastics
9. Baseball/Softball
10. Soccer
11. Skiing: Alpine
11. Water Polo
13. Rugby
14. Lacrosse
15. Rodeo: Steer Wrestling
16. Track and Field: Pole Vault
17. Field Hockey
17. Speed Skating
19. Figure Skating
20.Cycling: Distance
20. Volleyball
22. Racquetball/Squash
23. Surfing
24. Fencing
25. Skiing: Freestyle
26. Team Handball
27. Cycling: Sprints
28. Bobsledding/Luge
29. Ski Jumping
30. Badminton
30. Skiing: Nordic
32. Auto Racing
33. Track and Field: High Jump
34. Track and Field: Long, Triple jumps
35. Diving
36. Swimming (all strokes): Distance
37. Skateboarding
38. Track and Field: Sprints
39. Rowing
40. Rodeo: Calf Roping
40. Track and Field: Distance
42. Rodeo: Bull/Bareback/Bronc Riding
43. Track and Field: Middle Distance
44. Weight-Lifting
45. Swimming (all strokes): Sprints
46. Water Skiing
47. Table Tennis
48. Track and Field: Weights
49. Canoe/Kayak
50. Horse Racing
51. Golf
52. Cheerleading
52. Roller Skating
54. Equestrian
55. Archery
56. Curling
57. Bowling
58. Shooting
59. Billiards
60. Fishing

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Hardest sports to play

Post by beetlejuice » April 13, 2011, 6:24 pm

Pig's **** basketball is hard to play!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

Chicka's shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chicka's shoe » April 13, 2011, 7:10 pm

Tennis is pretty straightfoward too - any mug can do it. How do they define hardest? Hardest to excel in? hardest physically? hardest to learn?

Chicka's shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chicka's shoe » April 13, 2011, 7:15 pm

I see the categories now. You have to be more durable to play gridiron than "rugby" - they're having a laugh

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » April 13, 2011, 8:18 pm

What would ESPN know?

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp

Hardest sports to play

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 13, 2011, 8:29 pm

3 things I noticed wrong with that list.
1) Cheerleading isn't a sport
2) Netball needs to be in the top 5. I tried playing it once. Everytime I touched the ball I'd get done for something. From "stepping" to throwing it too far. That sport is ridiculous.
3) Glad to see the recognise Auto Racing as a sport :P
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- » April 13, 2011, 10:38 pm

greeneyed wrote:What would ESPN know?
Surprised they dont have tractor pulling and hotdog eating in the list tbh

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby » April 14, 2011, 8:16 am

Typical Yankee ignorance.

How would they respond if an Aussie Sports mag listed Basketball and NFL down the list somewhere in place of League/Union?

And cheerleading? why not put the South Sydney drummers in there somewhere?

Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley

Post by Dr Zaius » April 14, 2011, 8:26 am

I've played rugby, oztag, touch, hockey, soccer, basketball, tennis, netball and athletics. By far the two hardest were hockey and then soccer. You can quite easily be made a fool playing those two games.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

SubLime Green
Jason Croker

Post by SubLime Green » April 14, 2011, 10:08 am

A few other things I didn't have time to post yesterday from that site.

Sports requiring the most:

Endurance

1. Cycling: Distance
2. Track and Field: Distance
3. Swimming: Distance
60. Billiards

Strength

1. Weightlifting
2. American Football
3. Wrestling
60. Billiards

Power

1. Weightlifting
2. Track and Field: Weights
3. Boxing
60. Fishing

Speed

1. Track and Field: Sprints
2. Speed Skating
3. Swimming: Sprints
60. Fishing

Agility

1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Tennis
60. Billiards

Flexibility

1. Gymnastics
2. Diving
3. Figure Skating
60. Fishing

Nerve

1. Auto Racing
2. Rodeo
3. Ski Jumping
60. Fishing

Durability

1. Boxing
2. American Football
3. Ice Hockey
60. Billiards

Hand-eye co-ordination

1. Baseball
2. Table Tennis
3. Tennis
60. Track and Field: Distance

Analytic Aptitude

1. Ice Hockey
2. Soccer
3. Auto Racing
60. Cheerleading

Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael » April 14, 2011, 10:14 am

Golf.

david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 » April 14, 2011, 1:19 pm

So cricket doesn't make the list but Fishing does.
So does that mean cricket is not a hard sport.
Please you can't tell me facing a ball at 140k is easier then fishing
Also you Yanks, there is more then 60 sports in the world

papabear
Gary Belcher

Post by papabear » April 14, 2011, 4:10 pm

hardest ... afl, u get hit off the ball and tbh your just running around doing nothing wondering **** is going on.

Toughest, rugby league.

marcofski
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Gamblor

Post by marcofski » April 16, 2011, 2:34 pm

i refuse to recognise grid iron as a sport as that would mean that a guy that's the size of a fridge with an IQ to match with his gut hanging out half a foot below his jersey is an athlete.
My favorite forum member is 100%Green. Why? Because anyone who can convince my wife who runs two watch shops and doesnt realy like the Raiders to buy me a limited edition centenary of league Raiders watch is alright in my books.

It's hard god-damn work being a Raiders supporter!

Nick
Mal Meninga
Location: The abyss, ive brought a house in the abyss, im getting mail redirected to the abyss

Post by Nick » April 16, 2011, 11:40 pm

marcofski wrote:i refuse to recognise grid iron as a sport as that would mean that a guy that's the size of a fridge with an IQ to match with his gut hanging out half a foot below his jersey is an athlete.
You're an idiot.
the fridge with a low IQ can run faster than most front rowers, has better footwork, is stronger and can generate more power and is has far superior athleticism.
You are on another planet if you dont think these guys are athletes... not liking the sport is one thing but embarrassing yourself with a fundimental lack of understanding about their skill set, is quite another
stick to what you know champ. The best front rower in our history would not have the athletic abilities of a "fridge with an iq to match"... btw these fridges are college players, you know they have to pass their exams to play football, their IQ's are probably in most cases higher than yours.
Raiders member no: 4008
Bay 28, Row JJ, Seat 8

greeneyed wrote:Sheens was brought in to build the Cowboys and Tigers. He did both, bringing one a premiership, despite the many injury ridden years of his key playmaker.
^^^
:lol: !

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider » April 17, 2011, 9:56 pm

SubLime Green wrote:Personally, I think Golf should be higher up and Polo probably should be on the list in place of Cheerleading. I'd have Polo up there as one of the toughest sports to play. I'm sure there are other things but that is what I noticed from skimming over it.
Never tried to play it but I reckon your right. Imagine trying to hit a ball into a goal with a stick while steering a 500kg animal. :woot:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Austin, Hodgson, Fensom, Vaughan

Post by Green_Hammock » April 19, 2011, 8:16 pm

This list is a joke, boxing is not the hardest sport and it seems like they either missed MMA or put it under "martial arts". Grid iron isn't even close to being as tough as rugby/league, mainly because rugby league clubs don't have three teams that interchange.

beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice » April 19, 2011, 10:03 pm

Nick wrote:
marcofski wrote:i refuse to recognise grid iron as a sport as that would mean that a guy that's the size of a fridge with an IQ to match with his gut hanging out half a foot below his jersey is an athlete.
You're an idiot.
the fridge with a low IQ can run faster than most front rowers, has better footwork, is stronger and can generate more power and is has far superior athleticism.
You are on another planet if you dont think these guys are athletes... not liking the sport is one thing but embarrassing yourself with a fundimental lack of understanding about their skill set, is quite another
stick to what you know champ. The best front rower in our history would not have the athletic abilities of a "fridge with an iq to match"... btw these fridges are college players, you know they have to pass their exams to play football, their IQ's are probably in most cases higher than yours.
ive always been curious as to how a college player would adapt to league.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 20, 2011, 5:01 pm

beetlejuice wrote:ive always been curious as to how a college player would adapt to league.
Me too, I'm curious to see how a Wide Receiver would go as a winger. Would probably need to work on fitness and tackling but they'd have all the other attributes
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome » April 21, 2011, 3:55 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
beetlejuice wrote:ive always been curious as to how a college player would adapt to league.
Me too, I'm curious to see how a Wide Receiver would go as a winger. Would probably need to work on fitness and tackling but they'd have all the other attributes

Havent there been a couple of Gridiron players to come and play. Manfred Moore for Newtown , scored the 1st try for newtown in the 1977 season

Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael » April 21, 2011, 4:00 pm

B_Hammock wrote:This list is a joke, boxing is not the hardest sport and it seems like they either missed MMA or put it under "martial arts". Grid iron isn't even close to being as tough as rugby/league, mainly because rugby league clubs don't have three teams that interchange.
That's because MMA is retarded.

Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer » April 21, 2011, 7:51 pm

Not matter what they're judging it on, surfing should be right up the top. Those that have not seen it would not understand the degree of difficulty involved in, not just standing up and making the drop, but the timing, the prior knowledge needed, the work rate and the amount of concentration needed.
A big thanks to Fistinz for the signature

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Austin, Hodgson, Fensom, Vaughan

Post by Green_Hammock » April 21, 2011, 10:44 pm

Michael wrote:
B_Hammock wrote:This list is a joke, boxing is not the hardest sport and it seems like they either missed MMA or put it under "martial arts". Grid iron isn't even close to being as tough as rugby/league, mainly because rugby league clubs don't have three teams that interchange.
That's because MMA is retarded.
How dare you

Grant
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Miller

Post by Grant » April 22, 2011, 12:10 am

Stringer wrote:Not matter what they're judging it on, surfing should be right up the top.
Maybe, if Surfing was a sport. I can't look at these long haired slackers walking around in thongs and boardies, referring to people as "Bra", and consider them athletes

Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer » April 22, 2011, 9:29 am

That refers to about 20% of the surfing community. Surfings got a world tour, a governing body, money involved. It acts as a sport and a pastime.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » April 22, 2011, 9:40 am

Surfing is definitely a sport.

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » April 24, 2011, 5:33 pm

Stringer wrote:That refers to about 20% of the surfing community. Surfings got a world tour, a governing body, money involved. It acts as a sport and a pastime.
So does the World Poker tour, and the World Hotdog Eating Championships. Neither are sports

david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 » April 24, 2011, 8:58 pm

Being a Raiders supporter must now be number 1

Raider47
David Furner
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Raider47 » April 25, 2011, 10:08 am

My mail tells me the Canberra Raiders find Rugby League the hardest sport to play.
"It's always been Canberra, I love playing for the Raiders"- Jarrod Croker
"We’re all really excited about what’s going on here at the Raiders"- Blake Austin
"I’m very happy to have signed this extension and I love playing footy in Canberra"- Jack Wighton
"I’ve been in Canberra for a while now and it’s become a home for me"- Josh Papalii
"“The ultimate goal is to win a premiership and get Canberra back on the pedestal they belong."- Sia Soliola
"The club was eager for me to stay and I was eager to stay as well because I love it here in Canberra."- Josh Hodgson

Stringer
John Ferguson

Post by Stringer » April 25, 2011, 1:53 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Stringer wrote:That refers to about 20% of the surfing community. Surfings got a world tour, a governing body, money involved. It acts as a sport and a pastime.
So does the World Poker tour, and the World Hotdog Eating Championships. Neither are sports
Yeah but do they require fitness and good health? Unless you count having a massive mouth and stomach than i don't think so. Surfing is as much a sport as any.

marcofski
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Gamblor

Post by marcofski » April 25, 2011, 4:03 pm

Nick wrote:
You're an idiot.

Gee precious much? When i originally wrote that post I was trying for a slightly comedic stance, obviously I failed. As an NFL fan myself (Go Cowboys) I really have no problem with calling most of the players athletes but I cant help but see the irony in "athletes" that have their gut hanging out from under their playing shirts, as for your comparison between NFL and NRL big men they have very different skill sets that as far as I know have never been officially compared. BTW i'm sure college athletes of any sport never get an easy ride through their schooling would they?
Also while im at it I did make a fairly broad accusation that they were all dumb and this was based on interviews i have seen with various players who came off as being about as bright as well your aerage front rower. I did notice in these interviews that quarterbacks seem to be the more articulate of players but that could just be because they get more practice in being interviewed.
Finally as we've never met I find it odd that you would question my IQ based on one comment, I thought that you were above such things but maybe I was wrong about that too.

back on the original topic has anyone tried playing broomball? No not the game where you sweep the ice in front of a weight thats curling, broomball is more like icehockey without skates.
My favorite forum member is 100%Green. Why? Because anyone who can convince my wife who runs two watch shops and doesnt realy like the Raiders to buy me a limited edition centenary of league Raiders watch is alright in my books.

It's hard god-damn work being a Raiders supporter!

SubLime Green
Jason Croker

Post by SubLime Green » April 25, 2011, 7:35 pm

Raider47 wrote:My mail tells me the Canberra Raiders find Rugby League the hardest sport to play.
:roflmao

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome » July 23, 2013, 3:33 pm

Well Badminton has just skyrocketed up the list

Unbelievable video of a badminton fight in Canada

WHEN you think about fist fights in sport, State of Origin, AFL and ice hockey comes immediately to mind. Never would you imagine badminton players to be amongst sport's fiercest brawlers.

An unbelievable scrap broke out during a match between former doubles partners who had represented Thailand at the Olympics overnight.

During a change of ends, Bodin Issara lunged at Maneepong Jongjit, chasing him on to another court before punching him several times.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sport ... 6683556563

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- » July 23, 2013, 3:49 pm

So do they both get 10 in the bin or what?

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 » July 23, 2013, 6:18 pm

I'd have ice hockey at the top of the list tbh. I barely reach crawling speed on skates.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.