The Boxing Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by Nick »

Shadow Boxer wrote: He's not the sharpest tool in the shed but he never broke any laws or hurt anyone.
Whilst he hasnt broken any law to my knowledge i disagree with the idea that he hasnt hurt anyone.

Every time he opens his mouth he hurts his own people. He is by far this countries most open and notrious racist sportman. He uses his race to excuse his failings, he uses other peoples race to put them down. He's hurting the aboriginal people because of the way he acts about his aboriginality reflects poorly on them as a people (and he's responsible for that because he claims himself as the spokesperson for all things aboriginal) and imo he is promoting the idea of treating people differently based on the colour of their skin.

He's in a position to be setting the example for his people, instead of being a respectful successful man who is man enough to admit his failures, he turns his back on this country, he turns his back on his people and he openly and notoriously uses race to judge people and line his pockets.
The man is a classless racist who like every other fat cat, will do what ever it takes to line his pocket with more cash. The man is a sell out, to himself, his people and his country. He shouldnt be applauded for that, he should be called on it. And frankly he's not called on it enough
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

The Nickman wrote:I saw all of Mundine's career and I can categorically state that he wasn't even half the player he thought he was.
i'd rate him as the best athlete i've seen on a rugby league field... i'd also say he's the best athlete i've seen that's been on any australian football code field...

if he wasn't, he wouldn't have made it as a boxer...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

86 invader wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I saw all of Mundine's career and I can categorically state that he wasn't even half the player he thought he was.
i'd rate him as the best athlete i've seen on a rugby league field... i'd also say he's the best athlete i've seen that's been on any australian football code field...

if he wasn't, he wouldn't have made it as a boxer...
don't know if serious :hmmm but if you are :lol:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Apparently according to Mundine the West Indies won the cricket yesterday, but they "waz robbed"
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Boxer Soliman eyes Geale after Sturm win

SAM Soliman is certain he will get a mandatory crack at fellow Australian Daniel Geale's IBF middleweight boxing title after producing the "Rocky Balboa" performance of his career to beat Felix Sturm in Germany.

Soliman, 39 (43-11, 17 KOs), overcame a second-round knockdown in Dusseldorf to earn a unanimous 12-round points win in an eliminator for the No.1 ranking on Saturday morning (AEDT).

While Sturm (37-4, 2, 16 KOs) might have been four points ahead after the first three rounds, he was comprehensively outworked for the remainder of the fight.

Two judges scored it 114-113 to Soliman and their colleague had it 116-111 in the Australian's favour.

Ring announcer Michael Buffer initially appeared to declare Sturm the winner before hurriedly reversing the result.

It was an eighth straight win for Soliman, who was the No.1 contender going into the fight and it confirmed his status as mandatory challenger to Geale, who retained his title on Wednesday with a points win over fellow Australian Anthony Mundine.

Geale's promoter Gary Shaw earlier in the week indicated he might petition the IBF to have a voluntary defence next, rather than fight the winner of Soliman-Sturm.

After Geale's win, Shaw wasn't sure who his boxer's next bout would be against.

The WBA stripped Geale of its middleweight Super belt for fighting Mundine rather than their regular champion Gennady Golovkin and Soliman was certain the Sydney-based Tasmanian wouldn't want to risk losing his other belt for not fulfilling a mandatory defence against him within 90 days.

"Gary (Shaw) won't want to get (Geale) stripped ... the embarrassment of knocking back a second mandatory is not going to happen," Soliman told AAP from Germany.

Sturm, the IBF No.3-rated contender, dominated the first three rounds, catching Soliman with several stinging right-hand blows, one of which dropped him halfway through the second.

Soliman survived the rest of the round and stayed on the defensive for the third.

Thereafter, he swarmed all over the 34-year-old German, firing off volleys of punches, with Sturm unable to reproduce the accuracy and volume of the first three rounds.

Asked if it was the best performance of his 16-year professional career, Soliman said "in terms of guts, it was my best but, in terms of skill, Raymond Joval (in 2004) is still my best performance.

"In terms of Rocky Balboa finding something after getting dropped and then finding something to come home to try and win the fight in that movie, in real life it just makes it a bit more glorious."

Soliman credited his long-time trainer Dave Hedgecock with devising the right fight plan.

"Dave Hedgecock had a plan and we stuck to it ... we had to move to our right and make him (Sturm) pay," Soliman said.

While he would prefer to fight Geale in Melbourne, Soliman said he was prepared to face the IBF champion "anywhere, any place, any time".

Soliman's points win was the third by an Australian middleweight in Germany in recent times, with Geale taking titles from Sturm and Sebastian Sylvester.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sport ... Q2VQKWTjng
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

if geale fights soliman, it might set a record for the number of punches ever thrown in a 12 round fight...
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali near death, says his brother

BOXING legend Muhammad Ali is so ill he could be dead within days, his devastated brother has warned.

Rahman Ali told The Sun his 71-year-old brother - who is known as The Greatest - cannot speak and no longer recognises him.

"He's in a bad way. He's very sick,'' Rahman Ali said.

"It could be months, it could be days. I don't know if he'll last the summer. He's in God's hands."

Former heavyweight boxing champion Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1984. Regarded as one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, he has made many public appearances over the years.

He famously lit the flame at the 1996 Olympic Games in one of sport's most memorable moments.

Muhammed Ali, known as The Greatest, is regarded as one of sport's true legends.

He was seen looking particularly thin and frail at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony where he was helped across the stage by Lonnie, his wife of 26 years.

Rahman Ali has accused Lonnie of tearing the family apart and not allowing him to visit his ailing brother.

The brothers, born Cassius and Rudolph Clay, grew up together in Louisville, Kentucky.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/w ... 6569664809
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

what time is $BW entering the ring tonight ?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

The Boxing Thread

green94 wrote:what time is $BW entering the ring tonight ?
Hopefully 3 min before he is carried out
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Raidersrawesome wrote:
green94 wrote:what time is $BW entering the ring tonight ?
Hopefully 3 min before he is carried out
no argument here...
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Quade Cooper has knocked out Barry Dunnett in the first round.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Nice!
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Sonny Bill Williams has just stepped into the ring and he looks absolutely ripped. On the other hand, Botha is massive but more in a chunky kind of way. I can't see anything but an SBW victory here.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

The announcer keeps calling him Sonny Boy Williams haha.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Botha is looking more like Butterbean
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Botha's got some blood on the bridge of the nose and above the eye. SBW definitely on top.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yep Botha needs a knockout to win, $BWs left jab has too much speed and reach.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Manbush wrote:Botha is looking more like Butterbean
Don't bag the Butterbean!

Seriously, that fat slob is a multi-milionaire- and good on him!
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Botha nearly had him there. One more round and SBW would have been in a lot of trouble, but he just held on.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Spewing it was only 10 rounds, another 2 I reckon Botha would've knocked him out.

And Begbie no disrespect to Butterbean, guy was a legend.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

What happened, you guys watching it live- did Botha come home with a flurry or something? Williams unfit.....?
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Botha finished really well and SBW was looking pretty wobbly in rounds 9 and 10. Botha is fuming because the fight was scheduled for 12 rounds, but they stopped at round 10. Not sure what happened there as it was meant to be 12 rounds as far as I know.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

I'm shocked he didn't put in a shoulder charge to be honest. Seriously though, a win is a win and it he's only just starting out in boxing so will give him the benefit.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

The ref was getting agitated when SBW was getting rocked at the end there. He spent half the round trying to clinch Botha and the ref just let it happen. 10 rounds my ****. Everyone knew it was 12. Must've slipped the ref a few bills after the 9th.

The $BW train rolls on.
Begbie wrote:What happened, you guys watching it live- did Botha come home with a flurry or something? Williams unfit.....?
SBW was wobbly for half the 9th and the whole 10th. In the 10th he kept getting rocked, then would clinch for ages before the ref would break it up, then Botha would get him all wobbly again and he'd clinch for ages again.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

The Herald reckons it was scheduled for 10. Seriously, how could they screw it up? Imagine if the ref blew fulltime after half an hour in the second half of the origin when Queensland were winning 12-10 with NSW on the attack. Then NSW ark up because they thought it was supposed to be the regular 40 minute half. How unprofessional is boxing?
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Everywhere else says 12 rounds. Even the TAB :lol:
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Unbelievable really. The herald actually said it was scheduled for 12 rounds as well, my mistake- this is a bloody outrage. Betting Houses will have to payback those who bet on Botha if this is the case, what a farce!
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Yep fight was scheduled for 12 then changed to 10 midway through the fight.

What a complete joke.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

this sport is quickly turning into a laugh isn't it.....
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

**** rigged, everyone knew it was a 12 round fight but when Botha started to get on top they shorten it, obviously wanted Sonny Boy Williams to win
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

No it wasn't, from the ABC, bit of manufactured controversy should sell a few tickets for the rematch, especially in rugby mad SA where SBW is well known.
Strangely, Botha's promoter Tinus Strydom said he became aware of the fight being over ten rounds shortly before the contest but did not inform his fighter.

"Before the fight...we went to the official and they said it's been cut down to a ten round (fight). At that stage there's nothing you can do. Why do you do things like that?

"They've announced a 12 round fight and cut it down to 10 rounds."

Strydom insisted he will lodge a complaint and hopes the two will meet once more in the ring, but this time in South Africa - a challenge the Williams camp suggested they would be willing to accept.
Cracking right cross from QC, fast and heavy....
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

How long will it be till $BW can fight though now the league season is about to start, it's a farce why did they change it
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Next off season i would think as he moves from league back to the rugby
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

did anyone here order the fight? how many rounds did the ring announcer say the fight was going to be? if they announced it as 10, no problem but if they announced it as 12, i'd be asking for my money back...

good on sonny bill williams though... regardless of whether it should've been 10 or 12 it was a big effort to go ten rounds with crafty old(er) man like that...
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

The Boxing Thread

The bookies have returned the punters money from the fight