The Boxing Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

gergreg
Ricky Stuart

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by gergreg »

BadnMean wrote:Worth noting that the "world title" he held is not even the highest best attainable within the WBA- he won one of four, yes four, given out by the WBA alone beneath their actual real champion belt. The _real_ WBA world titleholder is called the WBA Super Champion- so he briefly held one of four sub belts beneath the real WBA belt.
Really? How does this actually work? In this org each division has four belts? I can't even imagine how this would work.

I heard Gallen's jibes about 'not bragging about winning a reserve grade rugby league title' but I just assumed it was because WBA wasn't considered the strongest org (I don't know which org is considered the strongest).

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote:I said it last night, you're not going to knock Gallen out, he's made a career of running head-first into **** smashing him around the head.

Hunt was the same, he was just a beefcake, you could've smashed a bottle over his head and he would've just shrugged it off.
Still holds true.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
gergreg
Ricky Stuart

Post by gergreg »

The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I said it last night, you're not going to knock Gallen out, he's made a career of running head-first into **** smashing him around the head.

Hunt was the same, he was just a beefcake, you could've smashed a bottle over his head and he would've just shrugged it off.
Still holds true.
Yeah. He doesn't have heavy hands but he's got a great chin and keeps moving forward. But even so he isn't fighting anyone in their prime. History shows that you can make a career and decent money if you're okay with the 'heel' role.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

We can see Gallen is no bum. What we do need to see is him fight a genuine opponent. No more talking the up as a "former" this or an "ex" that. Problem is Gallen has too much to risk. If he takes on a contender and loses his career as a drawcard fighter is all but over. He may be able to eke out another main event with a return bout against Barry Hall. That's about it.

Browne was scheduled to challenge Justis Huni for the Australian title. Logical for Gallen to step in, which would be a massive drawcard. That's also Huni's best shot at a big payday on local soil.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: April 23, 2021, 7:33 am
BadnMean wrote:Worth noting that the "world title" he held is not even the highest best attainable within the WBA- he won one of four, yes four, given out by the WBA alone beneath their actual real champion belt. The _real_ WBA world titleholder is called the WBA Super Champion- so he briefly held one of four sub belts beneath the real WBA belt.
Really? How does this actually work? In this org each division has four belts? I can't even imagine how this would work.

I heard Gallen's jibes about 'not bragging about winning a reserve grade rugby league title' but I just assumed it was because WBA wasn't considered the strongest org (I don't know which org is considered the strongest).

The "super champion" is the real belt. But they can make more money by selling other fights as title fights to mugs if they make a bunch of other guys "champion" too and just install the super champ over the top. Title fights make money. Remember these aren't organised bodies trying to do their best for the sport, they are fig leaf companies operating with pay tv channels just to make money. Title fights sell.

I don't pretend to understand it. I don't think even they understand it. They have a super champ (real), a world champ (shrug?), a world gold champ (participation gold star) and sometimes an interim champ and a champ in recess (the latter two being temporary if other fighters abandon WBA belts to go fight for other networks for a time etc)

Brown reached the level of just below what would have been called "a contender" in the old days. Someone good enough to get some fights against someone who has fought some real champs. But he wasn't in the ring hismelf with the real contenders of the time (Klitschko x2, Haye, Byrd, Rahman, Valuev etc).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Valuev would have predated Browne's boxing career. He hasn't fought for more than 10 years and Browne was a late starter in boxing.

Yeah, boxing titles need to be taken with a grain of salt. There's always some kind of belt on the line for promo reasons.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Bradley Clyde

Post by RedRaider »

No one is looking to put Gallen in the ring with Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury. I would not even put him in the ring against Australian heavy weight champion Justis Huni. The former Australian Champion Faiga Opelu (beaten by Huni) may be looking for a Pay-for-view earner, but I doubt Gallen's handlers would put him in the ring against Opelu who is only in his late 20s.

I think Gallen is serious about boxing. I don't think it is in his interest to get into the ring against Pro boxers still in their prime. But he can earn some reasonable money by taking on opponents like Browne. He is a curiosity in boxing. One thing about Opelu though, is that although of Samoan descent he is a Queenslander and that could put a State of Origin feel to the promotion. I think Gallen would be crazy to take the option though.