From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by Dusty »

I would love to go to my local and watch Geale hoefully give it to Mundine but I start a new job the next day.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Has Mundine suffered brain-damage? I saw a video of that exchange with Paul Kent, and he could barely get a word out, it was horrible. For someone who portrays himself as a warrior poet, he couldn't go three words without making some kind of grammatical gaffe.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Should be an interesting fight. Mundine has certainly done his utmost to get under Geale's skin with all these pathetic taunts. Got to give him credit he does know how to play the mental games, even if he is pretty mental himself. I will probably go watch at the local - hopefully not a really late night like most of these Aussie cards seem to be. I remember their last fight finished about midnight or even later. Kimbo is also boxing on the undercard - he is an entertaining fighter - not sure who he is up against, but could be a KO.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:Has Mundine suffered brain-damage? I saw a video of that exchange with Paul Kent, and he could barely get a word out, it was horrible. For someone who portrays himself as a warrior poet, he couldn't go three words without making some kind of grammatical gaffe.
the man is a dope
the fact that to get any attention he has to continually talk about how he didnt get into league rep teams due to racism (i tend to err on the side of Daley and Fittler being far better 5/8ths than he was) and then bag blokes for not being "black enough" what ever that means, says it all about the bloke. And then goes on to bag Artie Beetson, after he's dead, never had the balls to bag him when Artie was breathing.

i couldnt give a **** what he's like away from the cameras of how much charity he does. The bloke's completely classless
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Nick wrote:
Michael wrote:Has Mundine suffered brain-damage? I saw a video of that exchange with Paul Kent, and he could barely get a word out, it was horrible. For someone who portrays himself as a warrior poet, he couldn't go three words without making some kind of grammatical gaffe.
the man is a dope
the fact that to get any attention he has to continually talk about how he didnt get into league rep teams due to racism (i tend to err on the side of Daley and Fittler being far better 5/8ths than he was) and then bag blokes for not being "black enough" what ever that means, says it all about the bloke. And then goes on to bag Artie Beetson, after he's dead, never had the balls to bag him when Artie was breathing.

i couldnt give a **** what he's like away from the cameras of how much charity he does. The bloke's completely classless
He does seem genuinely confused about what race card he's actually playing. Geale isn't black enough, Laurie didn't spend his whole career babbling about being Aboriginal, and ol' Artie Beetson is a race-traitor or something.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I really love boxing and my greatest moments are of a young Mike Tyson destroying everyone in his path.

It is a testament to the decline of the sport that it has only managed 2 pages on the GH.

Mundine must be given some credit for trying to spark a sport which has no relevance in popular society.
WorkChoice
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

LP Raider wrote:
Mundine must be given some credit for trying to spark a sport which has no relevance in popular society.
That is one of the longest bows I have ever seen drawn.
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Anyone watching Mundine Vs Geale?
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

RaiderSpark wrote:Anyone watching Mundine Vs Geale?
Yes sir!

Good to see the first one go the distance, though their respective records indicated a much closer fight then we just saw.
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Michael wrote:
LP Raider wrote:
That is one of the longest bows I have ever seen drawn.
i can see lp raider's point to a degree... in a time when michael katsidis flying to the uk and the states to do the things that the media criticised mundine for not doing, he got barely and coverage whatsoever... during this time mundine flew to the US to eventually not fight and received ten times the coverage katsidis did...

there was a time when the only boxers who got any promotion were kostya tszyu, anthony mundine and the guy anthony mundine was fighting... danny green and sam soliman have both earned pay days that they wouldn't have gotten if not for mundine (green can thank mundine for his entire bank account) ... this is where i agree with lp raider...

however, where i disagree is that when he was promoting himself and putting on cards for 10 years... i cannot think of a single young fighter that he or his team tried to nurture and develop... he didn't even try and give them exposure on his undercards because he didn't want the media talking about anyone else... his association with the reality show doesn't count as helping up and comers because it was just more opportunity to have himself talked...

i have been a supporter of mundine for a long time to a degree he has been great for the sport... but even as a supporter, his legacy will be as a guy who won alphabet titles and milked the sport for monetry gain, rather than challenging himself to genuinely be the best... he really could've made a difference the sport as a whole, let alone to helping young indigenous fighters... but the simple fact is, he didn't...
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

The Boxing Thread

Post by Please »

Has Mundine lost yet?
Well, at least Jack got paid.
tragic
Brett Mullins

The Boxing Thread

Post by tragic »

Anyone know of a *ahem* live stream anywhere?
Raiders member no# 2278.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Boxing Thread

Post by The Nickman »

Anyone watching right now that can give us a quick update of what's going on??
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

The Boxing Thread

Post by Captain Punish »

What was the deal with the Kimbo fight?
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:Anyone watching right now that can give us a quick update of what's going on??
Hasn't even started.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mundine refused to be out for the National Anthem, so neither fighter was there. Disgraceful. Should have not played it, rather than disgrace the anthem.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Geale wins on points and retains the IBF title. Does this set up Geale V Mundine 3?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Did Mundine really behave that way. Is he 3?

what a sook and sore loser.

Geale was robbed in the 1st time they fought , there was no 'theifing' this time
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

thank you Mr Geale.....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
tragic
Brett Mullins

The Boxing Thread

Post by tragic »

Makes me very happy.
Congratulations Geale.
Raiders member no# 2278.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

it was funny seeing Mundine pull out the " I was robbed bra, ya know what I sayin bra ".
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

You blokes want to buy a bridge ?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

how much ?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

HaHa, really cheap, overlooks Sydney harbour, lots of parking....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

that's a pity SB. I've just built the missus a nice little garden out the back including a water feature and a bridge would have been ideal. that one in Sydney won't fit in my yard...
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Thats ok G94, someone will buy it at the rematch :cool:

Seriously though not a bad fight. Geale as unified champion probably should have been able to knock out a 37 year old journeyman who hasn't held a legitimate title for 13 years and hasn't really fought for 5.

They will be lining up for a shot at his titles.

Couple of quality athletes going at it and walking away with about 4-6 million dollars each. Everyone's happy.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

The Boxing Thread

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Not everyone SB
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

SB, do you have some kind of hereditary predisposition for liking bag athletes?

On the topic of the fight, ive not seen a single article, quote, post, comment on facebook from anyone mundine fan or not that says Geale didnt completely dominate the fight and comprehensively win the fight. The only blokes who believe this nonsense is Mundine and his cronies, and i think if you got mundine in a room by himself, even he'd admitt he got beaten badly in the fight. I read that even Tony Mundine went and said congrats to Geale before the decision was announced. The only one blinded is mundine.

As for not knocking Mundine out, i thought it was common knowledge Geale isnt a hard punching knock out guy. So im not surprised he didnt KO him.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I'm not sure, I don't like Bernard Tomic but I like Lleyton.

I certainly don't buy into the, "we dont like you unless you are Steve Waugh/Pat Rafter types and sing Khe Sanh every morning".

I guess I just rate legitimate achievement, especially against the odds. You blokes are probably too young to remember but Mundine was a fantastic rugby league player. One of the things that drew me to the game from an AFL background.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I saw all of Mundine's career and I can categorically state that he wasn't even half the player he thought he was.
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

The Boxing Thread

Post by Please »

He's just a ****.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

I couldn't believe the dingo **** actually thought he'd won the fight after it finished, he was straight up on the ropes arms raised, everyone starting booing him though :lol:
Geale dominated from Rd 1, not sure how one judge had it 116-112, Mundine would of been lucky to win one Rd, he had nothing against a quality fighter, actually he did have about 3 or 4 headbutts and a few elbows that's about it.

Hopefully that's the last we have to hear from the ****, ah wishful thinking.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

The Nickman wrote:I saw all of Mundine's career and I can categorically state that he wasn't even half the player he thought he was.
So what ? Don't be hating dude, be awesome instead.

He's an old man now in terms of middleweight fighters (where speed is everything) but if you wasted all these years hating on him you missed one of the most remarkable and entertaining stories in Australian sport.

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed but he never broke any laws or hurt anyone.

Freddy gives him a pretty good wrap in here.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I actually supported Mundine for more of his fights than I've ever cheered against him for. I had money on him vs Danny Green and I was the only guy in the pub cheering for him and coincidentally the only person who thought he'd legitimately won that fight, so I'm not sure you can accuse me of "hating on him".

Having said that, my original comment still stands... "I saw all of Mundine's career and I can categorically state that he wasn't even half the player he thought he was."

Also, I like to think I'm pretty awesome.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

haha, I know that feeling of being the only guy in the pub......

All Raiders fans are awesome. :)