Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by Michael »

Boxing is a total joke of a sport.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:Boxing is a total joke of a sport.
13 weight divisions
5 organisations
100+ blokes calling themselves world champs?

Who do they think they are following. Only absolute mugs would accept this
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Used to love boxing, but its a complete sham today. No wonder UFC is more popular.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Australian boxing has gone down hill very quickly over the last 5 -10 years.

The injection of ex league players has a lot to do with it.

For SBW to fight for a vacant world title after a handful of fights mostly against no names just enforces my opinion

Absolutely love UFC , they run their business so well ( so it appears )
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Boxing in the 80s and early 90s was my peak, loved Tszyu, Fenech, Holyfield, Tyson was a beast before his brain fell off
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

dubby wrote:Used to love boxing, but its a complete sham today. No wonder UFC is more popular.
Have to agree, mate.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Have to agree as well, apparently all the boxing journalists are forming an association to try and unify things, the main problem is Showtime and hbo don't let their fighters fight each in the US.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Have to agree as well, apparently all the boxing journalists are forming an association to try and unify things, the main problem is Showtime and hbo don't let their fighters fight each in the US.
imagine how big the thing could be if there was just 1 belt in every weight division and blokes actually had to beat good boxers to advance up the chain

sure wont get the fighter with a 42-1 record, unless they were freaks, most likely you get champs with 30-10 records but the pay days will be huge and the prestige even higher...

the sooner Boxing is simplified, the sooner it gets its relevance back
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

UFC is horrifying, anyone who enjoys that is a friggin' sociopath. I'm not even exaggerating. It's just a bloodsport, 'gladitorial' in the bad sense of the word.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

^^^ I'll disagree
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

You're a sociopath.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Beaten Botha tests positive to drugs

Positive test ... South African heavyweight Francois Botha in action against Sonny Bill Williams on Friday night. Photo: Getty Images
FRANCOIS Botha, the former heavyweight world champion beaten by Sonny Bill Williams on Friday night, has tested positive to a banned substance.

Botha, whose claims that he did not know the WBA international heavyweight bout would only last 10 rounds have also now been discredited, failed a drugs test on the eve of the fight.

Results of a urine sample submitted by the 44-year-old South African in Brisbane last Tuesday under WBA regulations show he had ***** - a banned stimulant - in his system.

The drugs test, which has now been forwarded to the WBA's global headquarters in Panama, also detected Benzodiazepine, which suggested Botha was also using a valium-type product.

Leading sports doctor Peter Larkin said the two substances had an opposite effect.

"One puts you to sleep, one keeps you awake," Larkin told Fairfax Media. "***** is part of the go-fast group, as I call them, which is similar category to all of the adrenalin amphetamines...anything that is a stimulant that keeps you awake and improves your reflexes."

According to witnesses who saw Botha in his dressing room before the fight, he was extremely relaxed and was lying on the floor as Williams entered the ring first.

However, once the fight got under way, he was alert and continually taunted Williams, while trying to put him off his game with a series of late shots after the bell to end each round or when the referee had seperated the pair.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/beat ... 2e6f2.html
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

boxing just gets better and better.....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Reminds me of when Homer was driving a semi, and he swallowed both stimulants and depressants.

Not a bad comparison actually, seeing Homer was a boxer too. A fat, bloke who stood there and knocked the other guy out when he got tired.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

86 invader wrote:did anyone here order the fight? how many rounds did the ring announcer say the fight was going to be? if they announced it as 10, no problem but if they announced it as 12, i'd be asking for my money back...

good on sonny bill williams though... regardless of whether it should've been 10 or 12 it was a big effort to go ten rounds with crafty old(er) man like that...
there's an article lately where Botha's trainer admits he found out the fight had been shortened to 10 rounds shortly before the fight(i don't know whether that means 5mins before they entered the ring or a week prior) but he didn't tell botha as he thought it would upset his preparation or something
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Sonny Bill fight was fair - boxing official

Australian National Boxing Federation (ANBF) committee member John Hogg has rubbished claims the decision to cut short Sonny Bill Williams' controversial bout was made after the fight started.

However, the legitimacy of what was purported to be a WBA international heavyweight fight between Williams and South African veteran Francois Botha remains unclear.

Williams defeated Botha in a unanimous points decision on Friday night in Brisbane, but the former All Black copped a battering in the final round.

The fight, which was advertised and scheduled for 12 rounds as per WBA rules, was stopped after 10, drawing an angry reaction from Botha and jeers from the crowd.

Hogg says a last-minute decision to shelve the final two rounds was "unusual" but that it had been ticked off by officials after both camps agreed shortly before the fight started.

"Any suggestion that there was any decision made during the fight is just nonsense," Hogg told Fox Sports on Saturday.

"Any claim that it was cut back to 10 during the fight to save Sonny Bill is just nonsense, we wouldn't be party to that.

"Both parties told us it was cut back to 10 rounds, we had no time to try and check with the WBA to see if they were aware of what was happening.

"It wasn't for us to stand up and say 'we don't agree, you need to fight 12'.

"It was a bit puzzling as to why it had been cut back to 10, but obviously both corners were in agreement."

It's understood Botha's management bizarrely failed to tell the 44-year-old it had been cut to 10 rounds.

Hogg's comments are in stark contrast to The Australian newspaper's report that ANBF vice-president Alan Moore, a ringside judge for the bout, had no idea it had been shortened to 10 rounds.

"When the ring announcer said over the loud speaker that it was the last round, that was the first we (judges) knew of any change," Moore was quoted as saying.

"Any international title fight is meant to be fought over 12 three-minute rounds. I have no idea what happened."

Hogg said the WBA did not have a representative at the bout.

"Normally these overseas bodies send someone locally there to be the supervisors for their title fight.

"...What agreement, whether the fight was formally sanctioned by the WBA, you'd have to ask the WBA or the promoter. We don't get involved in the sanctioning."

It means the legitimacy of Williams' WBA belt is being questioned.

Botha is expected to lodge a protest with the WBA.

NZ TAB head bookmaker Mark Stafford said his agency was stung by the fact the fight was cut to 10 rounds.

Stafford was unimpressed, saying it was the third time the TAB had been caught out by a Williams fight which didn't go the full distance.

Twice before, Williams had scheduled eight-round fights but they had stopped at six.

New Zealand heavyweight champion Williams, 27, pronounced himself satisfied with his sixth win from six professional fights but wouldn't be pressed on his future in boxing.

He now laces up his rugby league boots for an NRL campaign with the Sydney Roosters.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... g-official
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Sonny Bill comes out swinging at critics

Sonny Bill Williams has hit back at criticism that his fight against Francois Botha was cut short and accused the South African of dirty tactics.

Williams won a unanimous points decision over the former world heavyweight champion but the fight ended in controversy as Botha claimed the match had been scheduled for 12 rounds and he had the Sydney Roosters' star recruit in serious trouble when it ended after 10 rounds.

With sport reeling from a report by the Australian Crime Commission alleging widespread doping and corruption, Botha, who tested positive to drugs in 1995, said: ''Isn't this match fixing?''

Williams said he had only prepared for 10 rounds - the same as his last bout 12 months ago for the New Zealand heavyweight title - and claimed the blow that rocked him had come after referee Tony Kettlewell had stopped the fight to separate the pair.

''He rocked me in the last round but that was from a dirty shot,'' Williams told Fairfax Media.

''The fight was broken up and he just hooked me.''

Williams's trainer Mick Akkaway, who had worked with him in Japan while he was recovering from surgery for a pectoral muscle tear, was fuming that Kettlewell had allowed Botha to repeatedly land late shots at times when the fight was stopped.

''He hit him on the break, the referee said stop and then he hit him on the side - that was not cool," Akkaway said.

''The referee said stop and he hit him once, the referee said stop again and he hit him another two times and the referee said stop.''

Sportsbet has offered to refund bets on Botha and at least two of the ringside judges said they had thought the fight was scheduled for 12 rounds but Williams insisted he had always believed it would be shorter.

''I thought it was going for 10, I thought it was just like the New Zealand title that I fought for - that was 10 rounds - and my whole preparation was based on 10 rounds,'' Williams said.

Botha said he would protest the decision but Fairfax Media was told on Saturday that he is extremely unlikely to go through with the threat.

Williams's manager and promoter, Khoder Nasser, said he had spoken with the WBA and boxing's oldest sanctioning body had no issue with the bout being 10 rounds as it was not an official world title fight.

Botha's promoter, Thinus Strydom, admitted he had discovered shortly before the fight, which was for the vacant WBA international heavyweight belt, that the bout would be 10 rounds but he did not tell his charge.

''I found out when they were walking in,'' Strydom said.

''They called me aside and said, 'Listen it's been cut down to 10 rounds'. I said to my guy, 'Don't tell him'. Before the bell, you don't do things like that. The last round was cut short and Sonny Bill was out.''

Ad Feedback

Despite boos from sections of a crowd that included a large contingent of his new Roosters teammates, fellow ex-Bulldogs Reni Maitua,Willie Tonga and Nate Myles and Broncos star Justin Hodges, Williams said he was proud of what he had achieved in just his sixth fight.

''I beat a guy that has fought eight different world champions, he might have lost most of them but he is a guy who had fought 60 times and only lost eight times. Now he has lost another one,'' Williams said.

''He got me with a couple of shots at the end but I have never gone past six rounds before so I am just proud of myself after six fights to have taken on someone with the experience he has and coming out on top.

''Being the old crafty bugger... he was punching me in the back of the head, standing on my feet to try to stop me moving and things like that.

''I have had no amateur background, so it is probably only really my second professional fight.

''Everyone will write it how they want to but my family and close friends are all proud of me so that is what makes

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... at-critics
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

His promoter Thinus Strydom said afterwards that he had known shortly before the bout that it would be fought over 10 rounds but did not tell Botha.

However, Botha's coach, Hardy Mileham, said at a media conference in Durban late last year that they were preparing for a 10-round bout.

"We are training for a 10-round fight and we do not want to undermine him,'' Mileham said. "We are training as if we are fighting for the world heavyweight championship.''

According to website Boxrec, the previous four bouts for the WBA international heavyweight title were also sanctioned as 10-round fights.
Well I guess that settles that,

People also need to understand this is not a world title. It puts SBW in a position to break into the WBA top 10. Not a bad effort for 5 fights.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

he lad can fight, but he still has a lot to learn. He drops his left way too often and he is too reliant on his strength rather than his style. That will improve the more he fights though. Thing is SB, if you threw SBW against Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko or even Holyfield in his day, they would give him a thorough boxing lesson.

Botha is a good fighter as well. It is only speculation now about what could have happened in the lost rounds. Botha was on top for rounds 9 and 10. SBW was sinking, I think he was starting to doubt himself and you can credit Botha for that. He knew how to play the lad, and he did that well. He was never going to win on points, if he was going to win it was by TKO.

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

dubby wrote:he lad can fight, but he still has a lot to learn. He drops his left way too often and he is too reliant on his strength rather than his style. That will improve the more he fights though. Thing is SB, if you threw SBW against Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko or even Holyfield in his day, they would give him a thorough boxing lesson.

Botha is a good fighter as well. It is only speculation now about what could have happened in the lost rounds. Botha was on top for rounds 9 and 10. SBW was sinking, I think he was starting to doubt himself and you can credit Botha for that. He knew how to play the lad, and he did that well. He was never going to win on points, if he was going to win it was by TKO.
Agreed dubby, the klitschko's are awesome, holyfield has a steroid cloud hanging over him but was good for a while there.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

True.

For pure style, Sugar Ray was great. In the 70s you had Ali who would waste sbw, as would Foreman. Frazier, Liston, but iirc they were lighter than Sbw? Maybe not Foreman.

In the 90s Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis were a league ahead and big aswell.

Boxing was so good once.

86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

kiwi raider wrote:
86 invader wrote:did anyone here order the fight? how many rounds did the ring announcer say the fight was going to be? if they announced it as 10, no problem but if they announced it as 12, i'd be asking for my money back...

good on sonny bill williams though... regardless of whether it should've been 10 or 12 it was a big effort to go ten rounds with crafty old(er) man like that...
there's an article lately where Botha's trainer admits he found out the fight had been shortened to 10 rounds shortly before the fight(i don't know whether that means 5mins before they entered the ring or a week prior) but he didn't tell botha as he thought it would upset his preparation or something
it's still more the fans who forked out the prices to go watch it that i'm concerned about... if it was advertised as 10 and the ring announcer called it a 10 rounder before the fight, no problem... but if the announcer called it a 12 rounder in the opening introductions, then that is unacceptable... this isn't sonny's fault, it's the promoters and the venue's... either way, that aspect needs to be cleared up to not happen again...
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

86 invader wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:

it's still more the fans who forked out the prices to go watch it that i'm concerned about... if it was advertised as 10 and the ring announcer called it a 10 rounder before the fight, no problem... but if the announcer called it a 12 rounder in the opening introductions, then that is unacceptable... this isn't sonny's fault, it's the promoters and the venue's... either way, that aspect needs to be cleared up to not happen again...
yeah agree, boxing alone is a farce without these circus acts(Nasser, cooper, SBW) masquerading as promoters/pro boxers, the fact that SBW was able to fight for the nz title without even fighting a ranked NZ boxer shows what a joke it is.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dan Ginnane was saying on the Dead Set Legends that journalists and spectators he spoke to were saying how strange it was that the announcer didn't announce the number of rounds.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dan Ginnane was saying on the Dead Set Legends that journalists and spectators he spoke to were saying how strange it was that the announcer didn't announce the number of rounds.
Employee responsibilities fail then, eh?
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
that is interesting... but it may just seem that way because of how it all ended...
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

kiwi raider wrote:
86 invader wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:

yeah agree, boxing alone is a farce without these circus acts(Nasser, cooper, SBW) masquerading as promoters/pro boxers, the fact that SBW was able to fight for the nz title without even fighting a ranked NZ boxer shows what a joke it is.
how is david tua going? wonder if sonny bill would risk taking on someone with his punching power... that would sell a lot of tickets i would assume...
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

The Boxing Thread

Post by Postman Pat »

dubby wrote:True.

For pure style, Sugar Ray was great. In the 70s you had Ali who would waste sbw, as would Foreman. Frazier, Liston, but iirc they were lighter than Sbw? Maybe not Foreman.

In the 90s Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis were a league ahead and big aswell.

Boxing was so good once.
Boxing really is the only sport that hasn't gotten better with time and technology. The standard the guys named above fought at is unbelievable.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

86 invader wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:
86 invader wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:

how is david tua going? wonder if sonny bill would risk taking on someone with his punching power... that would sell a lot of tickets i would assume...
David Tua is a has been but i'd suggest it would take him less than 2 minutes to put SBW to sleep, the only way nasser would agree to put SBW in the ring against Tua would be if they had paid Tua to lose and keep his left hook as far away from sonny's face as possible.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Botha has come out claiming Nasser offered him $150k to throw the fight, a claim Nasser is denying.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Manbush wrote:Botha has come out claiming Nasser offered him $150k to throw the fight, a claim Nasser is denying.
botha really needs to stop talking... everyone was on his side to get a rematch... now we all want him to fade into oblivion again...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Some good clean shots on show tonight on big time boxing, last 2 bouts over in the second round.
Emery now 5-0 looks impressive
Edrick The Entertainer
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Danny Green pens an open letter to his arch-rival Anthony 'The Man' Mundine

MATE, a few days ago you stated that 'I'm not on your level'. And for once, I agree. I'm not on your level ... I'm way above, in a different class.

Since losing to you almost eight years ago, I’ve won multiple world titles, in separate divisions, and proved super middleweight was well outside my depth in regards to making the weight safely, medically.

Yet although I was shockingly underweight, emaciated, you couldn’t dent me. Couldn’t keep me off. You won that fight, no doubt, but then avoided the rematch that was part of our contract.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6751577075
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Lol @ Danny green. Him getting handed his ass by Mundine would be in my top two australian boxing moments of all time.

Probably just shaded by Kostya tszu's title unification fight against Judah.