The Manchester United Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Posts: 698
Joined: February 8, 2010, 8:51 pm
Favourite Player: TLL/Campo/Hacksaw
Location: Newcastle

The Manchester United Thread

Post by cliffbag » November 28, 2010, 10:32 am

As a fan of a club of the stature of Manchester United, i am a little offended that supporters of a certain Championship team seem to think they have more supporters on this forum.

So as my 500th post i have taken it upon myself to start a thread for all things Manchester United.

First piece of business... Were Manchester United amazingly good or were Blackburn terrible?

I thought Blackburn's defence, especially Chinmbonda, were pretty poor, but i think the combination and the one-twos between Berbatov and Rooney were brilliant and would've made any defence look woeful.

Also needs to be mentioned that if Berba's point blank header wasn't saved, he would've held the record for most goals scored in a premier league match. As it is, his 5 goals sees him tied at the top with Shearer, Defoe and Andy Cole (also with Manchester United at the time).

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » November 28, 2010, 10:53 am

My name is Beetlejuice and i am a Manchester United fan.

last night was probably a mixture of both, they were at their attacking best while the rovers defended badly.

anyone else nocited that the red devils have not lost a game so far this season?????
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

User avatar
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Posts: 698
Joined: February 8, 2010, 8:51 pm
Favourite Player: TLL/Campo/Hacksaw
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by cliffbag » November 28, 2010, 11:25 am

Had some pretty poor form and plenty of draws, but its really encouraging that no games have been lost. Unlike Chelsea who have already lost 4!

To come through the horrible run of form we've had and still be sitting on top of the league (at least for 24 hours) is pretty amazing.

I was a bit worried during last nights game when Rooney was injured, especially seeing as he was at his creative best. But he finished the match, so hopefully no biggy.

To have had such a "mediocre" off-season in terms of signings, and still be doing well in the areas we supposedly lacked strength is also a good sign.

Anderson also deserves special mention, he was great last night. Some of his long passes were incredible and he showed fantastic energy for the entire match. Hopefully he can put the injuries etc behind him and live up to his potential.

User avatar
freddo
John Ferguson
Posts: 2519
Joined: January 9, 2005, 6:48 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by freddo » November 28, 2010, 5:14 pm

My name is Freddo and i'm a Manchester United Supporter

its time to wake up and knight Ryan Giggs
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way

User avatar
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Posts: 698
Joined: February 8, 2010, 8:51 pm
Favourite Player: TLL/Campo/Hacksaw
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by cliffbag » November 28, 2010, 5:18 pm

freddo wrote:My name is Freddo and i'm a Manchester United Supporter

its time to wake up and knight Ryan Giggs
hear hear

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » November 28, 2010, 6:59 pm

give it time boys. if they add this years premier league, FA cup and champions league trophies to their collection id expect it very soon!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

User avatar
freddo
John Ferguson
Posts: 2519
Joined: January 9, 2005, 6:48 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by freddo » November 28, 2010, 10:41 pm

its long over due.

ryan giggs is a perfect role model.

i could type half a page about him but click this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhP5VkvPPlc
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way

User avatar
SirMcSquid
David Furner
Posts: 3783
Joined: July 31, 2008, 7:55 pm
Location: Darwin

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by SirMcSquid » November 28, 2010, 11:20 pm

cliffbag wrote:
freddo wrote:My name is Freddo and i'm a Manchester United Supporter

its time to wake up and knight Ryan Giggs
hear hear
Oh come on! Can't just let anyone become a knight! lol
Image
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » November 29, 2010, 7:50 am

Sir McSquid wrote:
cliffbag wrote:
freddo wrote:My name is Freddo and i'm a Manchester United Supporter

its time to wake up and knight Ryan Giggs
hear hear
Oh come on! Can't just let anyone become a knight! lol
i could list a ****-load of useless knights, but im too lazy right now to go looking.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

User avatar
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Posts: 698
Joined: February 8, 2010, 8:51 pm
Favourite Player: TLL/Campo/Hacksaw
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by cliffbag » November 29, 2010, 8:48 am

Lol, the English rugby team were given titles for winning one comp weren't they?
Giggs has been a consistently brilliant performer for the best team and he's been doing it for about 20 years. He's broken all sorts of records.
I'd have knighted him long ago, even if I wasn't a united fan

User avatar
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Posts: 698
Joined: February 8, 2010, 8:51 pm
Favourite Player: TLL/Campo/Hacksaw
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by cliffbag » November 29, 2010, 8:53 am

Oh, and Chelsea only managed a draw against Newcastle, so Manchester united are outright first! :cmon

User avatar
jedski
Don Furner
Posts: 9007
Joined: January 8, 2005, 9:35 pm
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by jedski » November 29, 2010, 8:56 am

cliffbag wrote:As a fan of a club of the stature of Manchester United, i am a little offended that supporters of a certain Championship team seem to think they have more supporters on this forum.
A certain Championship team has loyal fans that stuck with it when they dropped two divisions. How many of the ManUre bandwagonners will stay with them once they fall on hard times?
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » November 29, 2010, 9:18 am

Bipolar Bear wrote:
cliffbag wrote:As a fan of a club of the stature of Manchester United, i am a little offended that supporters of a certain Championship team seem to think they have more supporters on this forum.
A certain Championship team has loyal fans that stuck with it when they dropped two divisions. How many of the ManUre bandwagonners will stay with them once they fall on hard times?
hey! we stuck with them through the early 00's when they would only win one trophy (and sometimes none!) so a drop just gives us a chance to win another championship......in the championship!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

User avatar
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Posts: 698
Joined: February 8, 2010, 8:51 pm
Favourite Player: TLL/Campo/Hacksaw
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by cliffbag » November 29, 2010, 3:08 pm

Bipolar Bear wrote:
cliffbag wrote:As a fan of a club of the stature of Manchester United, i am a little offended that supporters of a certain Championship team seem to think they have more supporters on this forum.
A certain Championship team has loyal fans that stuck with it when they dropped two divisions. How many of the ManUre bandwagonners will stay with them once they fall on hard times?
I've stuck by the raiders. Just sayin...

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16311
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Schifty » November 29, 2010, 8:00 pm

beetlejuice wrote:
Sir McSquid wrote:
cliffbag wrote:
freddo wrote:My name is Freddo and i'm a Manchester United Supporter

its time to wake up and knight Ryan Giggs
hear hear
Oh come on! Can't just let anyone become a knight! lol
i could list a ****-load of useless knights, but im too lazy right now to go looking.
Didn't the 05 Ashes squad get one. IN that case Gerriant Jones has one :|

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » November 29, 2010, 8:05 pm

Na, they got MBE's not knighthoods.

great draw for the FA cup!!! Liverpool are going down!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

User avatar
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5137
Joined: January 11, 2005, 7:41 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: The Club!

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Zip Zip » November 29, 2010, 9:09 pm

I love Manchester United.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."

User avatar
freddo
John Ferguson
Posts: 2519
Joined: January 9, 2005, 6:48 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by freddo » November 29, 2010, 10:05 pm

"You got an MBE right?"

"For what scoring 7 at The Oval"

"What Do Geriant Jones and Michael Jackson have in common?"

"They both wear gloves for no apprent reason"
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » November 30, 2010, 11:01 am

Everyone, im planning a trip to the cheers bar in sydney to watch the FA cup game agaisnt liverpool if anyone is interested.

a night of beers, pub food and cheering on the Red devils should be fun!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

Michael
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29295
Joined: May 2, 2007, 3:44 pm
Location: Clovelly

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Michael » November 30, 2010, 11:17 am

My name is Michael and I hate United with every fibre in my body.
Image

User avatar
jedski
Don Furner
Posts: 9007
Joined: January 8, 2005, 9:35 pm
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by jedski » November 30, 2010, 11:22 am

Michael wrote:My name is Michael and I hate United with every fibre in my body.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *

Michael
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29295
Joined: May 2, 2007, 3:44 pm
Location: Clovelly

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Michael » November 30, 2010, 11:32 am

Bipolar Bear wrote:
Michael wrote:My name is Michael and I hate United with every fibre in my body.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter
Did anyone else beat their head against the table reading Pooley's post about how he stuck through the hard times at United during the early 00's, during which time United only won the Premier League three times (99-00, 00-01, 02-03) and the FA Cup in 03-04 - seriously, die in a fire already. That encapsulates everything I hate about United supporters.

I'd rather have bowel surgery in the woods with a stick than go to a bar in Sydney with a bunch of United supporters. You are a horrible team supported by horrible people.
Image

User avatar
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1765
Joined: June 18, 2008, 6:43 pm
Favourite Player: Malcolm Norman Meninga
Location: Sydney

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Raiders Lime Milk » November 30, 2010, 11:56 am

Michael wrote:My name is Michael and I hate United with every fibre in my body.
Yep, United suck and I would hate to support them or Chelsea. My club may be second last in the Championship but I'm proud to support 'em.

Who do you support, Michael?

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » November 30, 2010, 11:59 am

Michael wrote:
Bipolar Bear wrote:
Michael wrote:My name is Michael and I hate United with every fibre in my body.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter
Did anyone else beat their head against the table reading Pooley's post about how he stuck through the hard times at United during the early 00's, during which time United only won the Premier League three times (99-00, 00-01, 02-03) and the FA Cup in 03-04 - seriously, die in a fire already. That encapsulates everything I hate about United supporters.

I'd rather have bowel surgery in the woods with a stick than go to a bar in Sydney with a bunch of United supporters. You are a horrible team supported by horrible people.
oh come on! please wont you come????? every group of people needs someone who acts and thinks like they are better then everyone else!!!!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

Michael
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29295
Joined: May 2, 2007, 3:44 pm
Location: Clovelly

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Michael » November 30, 2010, 12:18 pm

I am better than everyone else.

Limey, I support The Arsenal, but I follow the Bundesliga and la Liga nearly as closely as the EPL, so I have a couple of teams in those leagues that I follow, albeit not as closely.
Image

User avatar
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1765
Joined: June 18, 2008, 6:43 pm
Favourite Player: Malcolm Norman Meninga
Location: Sydney

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Raiders Lime Milk » November 30, 2010, 12:28 pm

Michael wrote:I am better than everyone else.

Limey, I support The Arsenal, but I follow the Bundesliga and la Liga nearly as closely as the EPL, so I have a couple of teams in those leagues that I follow, albeit not as closely.
Of the giant EPL clubs (traditional "big four" anyway), Arsenal is the only one I don't mind. I have to admit I don't follow La Liga as closely, just scores and stuff.

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4694
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Dusty » December 1, 2010, 3:19 pm

No mention of the Carling Cup result :shock:
Man Utd 0 West Ham 4
At least the "other thread" about a championship team mentions ALL results :lol:
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Oldfield (Rapana) 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Lui

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16311
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Schifty » December 1, 2010, 3:29 pm

Kyle 89 wrote:No mention of the Carling Cup result :shock:
Man Utd 0 West Ham 4
At least the "other thread" about a championship team mentions ALL results :lol:
Those Man U players can really hit a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TtruzMf ... r_embedded

:lol:

Anyway out of the big 4 Arsenal are the ones who back youth and development the most and don't whore themselves with chequebooks.

btw isn't Cheers bar the big Liverpool supporter hang out?

Michael
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29295
Joined: May 2, 2007, 3:44 pm
Location: Clovelly

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Michael » December 1, 2010, 3:37 pm

Raiders Lime Milk wrote:
Michael wrote:I am better than everyone else.

Limey, I support The Arsenal, but I follow the Bundesliga and la Liga nearly as closely as the EPL, so I have a couple of teams in those leagues that I follow, albeit not as closely.
Of the giant EPL clubs (traditional "big four" anyway), Arsenal is the only one I don't mind. I have to admit I don't follow La Liga as closely, just scores and stuff.
You gotta watch Villarreal dude - pretty much the Arsenal of Spanish football, but with even less money and more home-grown players. Sevilla used to be great too, but then Alves and Keita left, Juande Ramos got fired and Antonia Puerta died, so they aren't as good to watch these days unfortunately. They still have Freddie Kanoute, Jesus Navas and Luis Fabiano, mind you. Atletico Madrid always deliver the LOLZ too, as they rely on Diego Forlan banging in 35 goals a season to compensate for their almost constant slapstick defending.
Image

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » December 1, 2010, 4:31 pm

Kyle 89 wrote:No mention of the Carling Cup result :shock:
Man Utd 0 West Ham 4
At least the "other thread" about a championship team mentions ALL results :lol:
you'll find there is also no gloating about 1. being in the championship or 2. over your losses.

but that can change if you like.
Schifty wrote:btw isn't Cheers bar the big Liverpool supporter hang out?
dont care, its a decent bar in the centre of the city that i know will play the game.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16311
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Schifty » December 1, 2010, 6:32 pm

I haven't really been following La Liga closely, but I did LOVE seeing Barcelona spank Real Madrid 5-0.. Seeing that little bitch Ronaldo lose his cool and push the Barcelona manager just topped it off.

as for German League, St Pauli or STFU, I love the tradition of that club and how it was formed.

User avatar
cliffbag
Alan Tongue
Posts: 698
Joined: February 8, 2010, 8:51 pm
Favourite Player: TLL/Campo/Hacksaw
Location: Newcastle

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by cliffbag » December 2, 2010, 11:24 am

I would've commented on the west ham defeat if i wasnt stuck at the mother in law's house cut off from the world.

Terrible defence by the sounds of it.

At least it was just the league cup. :lol:

But it's pretty obvious we need to buy a defender for cover when rio or vidic are injured. Evans and Smalling are quality young players, but it's a bit much to ask one or both to defend week in week out against the big boys.

And Bebe, i dont know how he played, but last i saw of him he was horrendous.

Give them time and they will grow into their roles, but a slightly more experienced head might be needed in the meantime.

Michael
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29295
Joined: May 2, 2007, 3:44 pm
Location: Clovelly

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Michael » December 2, 2010, 11:50 am

Evans is absolute balls - here's an interesting stat: Man United have conceded 25 goals in all competitions this season. Johnny Evans, despite being a back-up player, has been on the pitch for 19 of those goals.

Bebe is the worst buy of the season by a long way - paying $7million for a homeless guy who can't play, whereas Spurs signed Van der Vaart for $8 million. Genius. :lol:
Image

User avatar
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16311
Joined: March 14, 2010, 4:00 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by Schifty » December 2, 2010, 4:13 pm

Michael wrote:Evans is absolute balls - here's an interesting stat: Man United have conceded 25 goals in all competitions this season. Johnny Evans, despite being a back-up player, has been on the pitch for 19 of those goals.

Bebe is the worst buy of the season by a long way - paying $7million for a homeless guy who can't play, whereas Spurs signed Van der Vaart for $8 million. Genius. :lol:
Even Zigic has done more in the Premier League :lol:

btw I don't care how great Rooney can be, he will eventually become toxic for the squad.. You can't have a bloke crap all over your club then come out of it with a massive payrise.. v

User avatar
beetlejuice
David Furner
Posts: 3619
Joined: May 29, 2007, 10:54 am
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins
Location: Left of the dial.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Post by beetlejuice » December 2, 2010, 9:48 pm

Michael wrote:Evans is absolute balls - here's an interesting stat: Man United have conceded 25 goals in all competitions this season. Johnny Evans, despite being a back-up player, has been on the pitch for 19 of those goals.
your point? Man U also have only lost one game all season too. i find that a good statistic.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.

Post Reply