Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: June 7, 2023, 1:20 pm PGA tour, DP world tour and LIV merge

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/pga-a ... 5dekc.html

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Rough day for Rory and Tiger etc who knocked back hundreds of millions on principle so the Saudi's couldnt buy themselves a seat at the table, only for the PGA Commissioner to sell them down the river 12 months later.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahaha... golf
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The dude who won the The Open this morning looks like Ricky Ponting.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I've taken up a more regular interest in playing golf (once or twice a year for many years and now once a week).

I have a high handicap as ive only been regularly playing for 5-6 months.

I am looking to purchase some used irons. Anyone got recommendations for a super forgiving set/make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Dusty wrote:I've taken up a more regular interest in playing golf (once or twice a year for many years and now once a week).

I am looking to purchase some used irons. Anyone got recommendations for a super forgiving set/make?

Quality used clubs can still be reasonably expensive. Some sellers expect ridiculous prices on Gumtree and EBay.

Go get a free fitting at Drummond and pretend you’re looking for a set, but hopefully you’re like 75% of golfers and Regular length Regular shaft stiffness. That will make buying second hand easier.

Reasonably priced new clubs here to fit $400 to $2k budget for a set.

https://www.golfclearanceoutlet.com.au/ ... ow_to_high

Best drill to get better full swing fast without spending a lot at the driving range. Feet together drill with some foam balls off a tight lie such as carpet or short fake grass.
But mix up beginner drills and simple chipping and putting exercises.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Secondly. I always thought Taylor Made had really good and forgiving Irons.

I played to a 5 Handicap with a generic set of Taylor Made RAC oversized irons and R9 driver and 3 wood, but after getting Professionally fit with plus 1 inch length, stiffer shaft and a more upright lie, didn’t actually improve my handicap.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dusty wrote:I've taken up a more regular interest in playing golf (once or twice a year for many years and now once a week).

If you're in Sydney there's a great shop called Stanmore Golf traders that sell second hand sets

https://www.golftraders.com.au/used-iron-sets

eBay is good as well, or Gumtree

When I started during covid I picked up a set of Wilson D7 irons which were good, then got fitted for some Sim 2s which I grew out of the shaft flex super quickly, have some stealths now but have some Titleist t200s coming. I'm bouncing between 13-15 currently.

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Thanks, I'll keep researching and keep my
Eye out

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The advice I'd give is hold off getting fitted until you've been playing for a while/had a few lessons.

If you get a fit straight off the bat, your swing will change the more you play/practice and the fit will be out pretty quick

Stuff like lie angles are easy to adjust, but shaft flex might end up costing you a new set of clubs as retrofitting shafts isn't cheap

BJ
Steve Walters

The Golf Thread

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:The advice I'd give is hold off getting fitted until you've been playing for a while/had a few lessons.

If you get a fit straight off the bat, your swing will change the more you play/practice and the fit will be out pretty quick

Stuff like lie angles are easy to adjust, but shaft flex might end up costing you a new set of clubs as retrofitting shafts isn't cheap

Hopefully Dusty is regular length and shaft, like most golfers. But agree, I wouldn’t get specially adjusted clubs as a beginner.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Secondly. I always thought Taylor Made had really good and forgiving Irons.

I played to a 5 Handicap with a generic set of Taylor Made RAC oversized irons and R9 driver and 3 wood, but after getting Professionally fit with plus 1 inch length, stiffer shaft and a more upright lie, didn’t actually improve my handicap.
5? Image that's impressive. I used to play less than half a dozen times per year and found it a frustrating game to play, mainly because I wasn't playing often enough to improve. My wife is keen to play when we retire.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gerg wrote:
BJ wrote:Secondly. I always thought Taylor Made had really good and forgiving Irons.

5? Image that's impressive. I used to play less than half a dozen times per year and found it a frustrating game to play, mainly because I wasn't playing often enough to improve. My wife is keen to play when we retire.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Still playing off 7 in my mid fifties, but it takes commitment and at least some practice.

Rapana plays off one apparently. Which is very impressive for a full time footballer. I imagine he hits a long ball.

A bloke at my club last week shot less than his age. 71 off the stick for a 72 year old. That was super impressive. But he was a former club team captain and obviously a very very good golfer in his prime. But beating your age is one of those big life golf goals. Like shooting a 59 or an Albatross.