From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:45 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:35 am Has anybody ever signed a 10 year contract before in the NFL?
Mike Vick did a 10 year deal with the Falcons back in 2004 at the peak of his powers.
The next longest i think was Tyron Smith signing for 8 years with Dallas off his rookie deal
The NFL website has an article that says just that. McNabb signed a 12 yr deal, Vick, Farve, Bledsloe and Culpepper all 10, Smith 8.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-patrick ... -extension
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:35 am Has anybody ever signed a 10 year contract before in the NFL?
Mike Vick did a 10 year deal with the Falcons back in 2004 at the peak of his powers.
The next longest i think was Tyron Smith signing for 8 years with Dallas off his rookie deal
Not the ideal precedent for Chiefs. :hmmm
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:49 am
Sub optimal to say the least :lol: :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:46 am
The NFL website has an article that says just that. McNabb signed a 12 yr deal, Vick, Farve, Bledsloe and Culpepper all 10, Smith 8.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-patrick ... -extension
I didnt even know McNabb had a 12 year deal, I came into this sport just after the Vick deal was inked.
yeah those are some spicy meatballs.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2020, 9:40 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2020, 8:49 am
Sub optimal to say the least :lol: :lol:
TBF, Mahomes doesnt exactly look like a animal fights type of guy. Not that there arent 503mill other things he could get into
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Interesting looking back at that Vick deal. After it they got 2 seasons out of him before the dog fight conviction, neither of which were winning seasons.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

McNabb signed his deal in 2002, between 2003-2009 he went 69-42-1, 5 play off seasons, 3 division titles, made the NFC championship game twice, super bowl once
But was was traded prior to the 2010 season, meaning he only saw 7 years of that 12 year deal.

Hard to imagine the Mahomes deal going the way of Vick or McNabb, but then at the time they signed people probably never dreamed those guys would be where they were 7 years later.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Skins are no more...
Keanu and his Washington Sentinels, here we come
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 14, 2020, 5:57 am The Skins are no more...
Not surprised. That one's been a topic for a very long time. The recent BLM movement has proven the catalyst. I'm far from a woke virtue signaller but still find that name pretty inappropriate to be honest.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2020, 9:53 am
Not surprised. That one's been a topic for a very long time. The recent BLM movement has proven the catalyst. I'm far from a woke virtue signaller but still find that name pretty inappropriate to be honest.
Me too. But they defended it for so long that Im still a little surprised they have finally caved.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Agreed.
Most reasonable people know that name is a racial slur and it was not gone soon enough.
Funny that only when sponsors ramped up and Nike removed merch from their stores etc did Dan Snyder act. Speaks volumes about the character of that man.

In some "Not all heroes wear capes" news, some realtor in Virginia saw the way this headed and about 10 days ago filed for TM's on virtually every possible option and is now quite rightly extorting this rich, belligerent racist of an owner for his preferred name.

So shouts to Philip Martin McCaulay, i salute you. You are an american hero, and i hope you take Dan for at least 100 mil, that prick can definitely afford it :lol:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tons-of-red ... 39747.html
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:31 am
Agreed.
Most reasonable people know that name is a racial slur and it was not gone soon enough.
Funny that only when sponsors ramped up and Nike removed merch from their stores etc did Dan Snyder act. Speaks volumes about the character of that man.

In some "Not all heroes wear capes" news, some realtor in Virginia saw the way this headed and about 10 days ago filed for TM's on virtually every possible option and is now quite rightly extorting this rich, belligerent racist of an owner for his preferred name.

So shouts to Philip Martin McCaulay, i salute you. You are an american hero, and i hope you take Dan for at least 100 mil, that prick can definitely afford it :lol:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tons-of-red ... 39747.html
The entrepreneurial genius at work right there.

Do you have a thought on the name Botman? Do they stay in the 'Indian' realm? Or avoid completely?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the run away leaders in the club house are Warriors and Redtails
I think Dan and Ron Riveina are going to want to honour the military somehow because that's just sort of who they are as people.

I would go with Redtails.
It would allow them to basically shift seamlessly, because the uniform, colour scheme, fight song etc all can basically stay as is, except you replace the slur with "Redtails"
The Redtails were WWII Tuskegee Airmen, and were by in large minority military aviators, so it would be a nice pivot to go from an obvious slur to something that actually celebrates a minority group and their achievements.

I think they'll go with Warriors.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:50 am I think the run away leaders in the club house are Warriors and Redtails
I think Dan and Ron Riveina are going to want to honour the military somehow because that's just sort of who they are as people.

It would allow them to basically shift seamlessly, because the uniform, colour scheme, fight song etc all can basically stay as is, except you replace the slur with "Redtails"
The Redtails were WWII Tuskegee Airmen, and were by in large minority military aviators, so it would be a nice pivot to go from an obvious slur to something that actually celebrates a minority group and their achievements.

Yeah, seen the Redtail talk. I agree, would be a perfect shift.

Warriors is a bit meh TBH, but again, means little change for logo etc.

Thoughts on the NHL team having to do anything about theirs? Coz its a ripoff, but at least blackhawks is an ok representation
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 10:50 am I think the run away leaders in the club house are Warriors and Redtails

The poll was a bit loaded by the look of it. Here's the results:
Warriors 23%
RedTails 28%
Hogs 12%
Generals 6%
Senators 3%
Redhawks 8%
Other 20%

A couple of decent options and several that are obviously a pisstake. Washing Generals would be a classic. :lol:

Why don't they go with Washington Braves? It's a name that would honour the native americans instead of using a derogatory name. I'm guessing people would also find that offensive in some way.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:02 am

Warriors 23%
RedTails 28%
Hogs 12%
Generals 6%
Senators 3%
Redhawks 8%
Other 20%

A couple of decent options and several that are obviously a pisstake. Washing Generals would be a classic. :lol:

Why don't they go with Washington Braves? It's a name that would honour the native americans instead of using a derogatory name. I'm guessing people would also find that offensive in some way.
Isnt there a Braves in baseball? But yes, it would work.
Redtails does the same, and is unique.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Some other places do things a little differently than Dan

Like the Seminoles in CFB have an agreement in place with the Seminole tribe, and they provide a huge amount of funding, and they do culturally appropriate celebrations of that culture etc and everyone is happy. I know the Indians in MLB are likely going to change.

I think the Blackhawk's are going to be OK too because it is honouring a legendary figure in native american history, and there doesnt seem to be a big push to get them to change... though their time may come.

I mean it also helps that the chiefs, indians, blackhawks etc are maybe in somewhats cultural appropriation but they are not actually slurs like the term "Redskin" is, which is a key difference. It's, to borrow a phrase common these days "problematic" for someone people, where as i think the term "Redskin" is rightly scene as not problematic but actively offensive.

But these are indeed interesting times so i wouldnt shock me ONE bit if in 5 years time, the Seminoles, blackhawks, chiefs, indians and all culture appropriation of native americans are completely scrubbed from the sportsphere.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:02 am A couple of decent options and several that are obviously a pisstake. Washing Generals would be a classic. :lol:
Im not a religious man but im praying nightly to 3-4 different gods that this dumb **** goes with the Generals.
My god, i'd dine out on that for YEARS :lol: :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also dont mind the Redhawks or RedWolves
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:08 am Also dont mind the Redhawks or RedWolves
Provided it's not deemed offensive to hawks or wolves.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:06 am Some other places do things a little differently than Dan

Like the Seminoles in CFB have an agreement in place with the Seminole tribe, and they provide a huge amount of funding, and they do culturally appropriate celebrations of that culture etc and everyone is happy. I know the Indians in MLB are likely going to change.

I think the Blackhawk's are going to be OK too because it is honouring a legendary figure in native american history, and there doesnt seem to be a big push to get them to change... though their time may come.

I mean it also helps that the chiefs, indians, blackhawks etc are maybe in somewhats cultural appropriation but they are not actually slurs like the term "Redskin" is, which is a key difference. It's, to borrow a phrase common these days "problematic" for someone people, where as i think the term "Redskin" is rightly scene as not problematic but actively offensive.

But these are indeed interesting times so i wouldnt shock me ONE bit if in 5 years time, the Seminoles, blackhawks, chiefs, indians and all culture appropriation of native americans are completely scrubbed from the sportsphere.
Id have said Chiefs = Warriors. Same same. No worries there.
Indians... well, that potentially a problem. Coz its not a designation like Warrior or Chief, its a race.
Blackhawks, as you said, honours a person/ tribe. You could easily change the logo to a bird and change little else if you really had too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:06 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:02 am

Warriors 23%
RedTails 28%
Hogs 12%
Generals 6%
Senators 3%
Redhawks 8%
Other 20%

Isnt there a Braves in baseball? But yes, it would work.
Redtails does the same, and is unique.
Yeah, would stuff up merchandising. Think these pro sports teams in the USA avoid such conflicts.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i cant see them going with the Braves... as you said NR, these owners generally like to have their own unique marketing and merchandising options
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Golden State Warriors might therefore put the kybosh on that one.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:31 am Golden State Warriors might therefore put the kybosh on that one.
Yeah i think it probably helps that they're on opposite sides of the country (a bit like the SF Giants and NY Giants) but it'll certainly be a factor they'll take into account

I really think the Redtails is the best option but i dont see Snyder who thumbed his nose at those begging him to change the name until finally the corporate money came for him, going with a nickname that lionizes minority groups... i think he probably feels very aggrieved by being forced into this name change and the last thing he wants to do is further placate these people... so i do think they're going to go with something that is ultimately less cool and interesting like the Warriors or Monuments
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 14, 2020, 12:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 14, 2020, 11:31 am Golden State Warriors might therefore put the kybosh on that one.
Yeah i think it probably helps that they're on opposite sides of the country (a bit like the SF Giants and NY Giants) but it'll certainly be a factor they'll take into account

I really think the Redtails is the best option but i dont see Snyder who thumbed his nose at those begging him to change the name until finally the corporate money came for him, going with a nickname that lionizes minority groups... i think he probably feels very aggrieved by being forced into this name change and the last thing he wants to do is further placate these people... so i do think they're going to go with something that is ultimately less cool and interesting like the Warriors or Monuments
monuments.... how inspiring! Coolest logo and mascot ever!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sotry today that The Navajo Nation was promoting the idea that they should change the name to Washington Code Talkers to honour the Navajos that were used in WW2 for radio communications. Apparently that then got backlash saying "the name reduced Indigenous people to a mascot" so they have rescinded the request.

Shows how hard it is to to find something that somebody won't find offensive. Stupid name for a sports team anyway.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2020, 11:05 am Sotry today that The Navajo Nation was promoting the idea that they should change the name to Washington Code Talkers to honour the Navajos that were used in WW2 for radio communications. Apparently that then got backlash saying "the name reduced Indigenous people to a mascot" so they have rescinded the request.

Shows how hard it is to to find something that somebody won't find offensive. Stupid name for a sports team anyway.
Doesnt really roll off the tongue. However, it suggests that even Redtails could be an issue
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 16, 2020, 11:10 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2020, 11:05 am Sotry today that The Navajo Nation was promoting the idea that they should change the name to Washington Code Talkers to honour the Navajos that were used in WW2 for radio communications. Apparently that then got backlash saying "the name reduced Indigenous people to a mascot" so they have rescinded the request.

Doesnt really roll off the tongue. However, it suggests that even Redtails could be an issue
Correct. It reduces the Tuskegee Airmen to a mascot. Now have to go through a list of options where being a mascot is not beneath them.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2020, 11:15 am

Correct. It reduces the Tuskegee Airmen to a mascot. Now have to go through a list of options where being a mascot is not beneath them.
Monuments it is :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 16, 2020, 11:17 am

Monuments > Mascots so no. About the only option based on that premise is Washington Senators.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 16, 2020, 11:22 am
Matt wrote: July 16, 2020, 11:17 am

Monuments > Mascots so no. About the only option based on that premise is Washington Senators.
Bring back Keanu's Washington Sentinals!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This is why you name it after things that have no rights, like animals.

Washington Steelheads
Washington Chorus Frogs
Washington Goldfinches
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: July 16, 2020, 11:39 am This is why you name it after things that have no rights, like animals.

Washington Steelheads
Washington Chorus Frogs
Washington Goldfinches
PETA might object
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'm kinda leaning towards the Washington Inanimate Carbon Rods