NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

I was talking to my wife last night about that, she's a doctor.
She gave me the skinny on it, and her opinion was even if the case was mild and short term, she thinks its pretty unlikely (though not impossible, depending on how limiting it is on his ability to train) that he'll play this year

When i asked if it was career threatening, her response was "yeah it could be"

Just awful news for Frederick, obviously his long term health takes priority over his football career right now.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 24, 2018, 6:46 pm I was talking to my wife last night about that, she's a doctor.
She gave me the skinny on it, and her opinion was even if the case was mild and short term, she thinks its pretty unlikely (though not impossible, depending on how limiting it is on his ability to train) that he'll play this year

When i asked if it was career threatening, her response was "yeah it could be"

Just awful news for Frederick, obviously his long term health takes priority over his football career right now.
I had a brief read. Doesnt sound good.

Even more annoying is he was a left field pick which turned out to be a stud.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Not that i expect many to read this, but Jordan Mailata, the aussie kid playing tackle for the Eagles has made INCREDIBLE strides

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1032979681786687488

That's a link to Brian Baldinger, one of the best analysts in the game, he does Baldy's Breakdowns which have been for me some of the most informative NFL content you can get, i've learnt a lot from those... He's got a whole video talking about Mailata and how impressive he's been

Wont get the headlines Hayne got, but he's already a better NFL player than Hayne and is IMO, a lock to make the roster. The eagles will absolutely NOT risk letting this guy hit Waivers and having 20+ teams put in claims for him. He has the chance to a legitimate franchise LT... long way to go of course and the odds still say he washes out, but he's got a chance, the athleticism and potential is incredible.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 25, 2018, 6:39 pm Not that i expect many to read this, but Jordan Mailata, the aussie kid playing tackle for the Eagles has made INCREDIBLE strides

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1032979681786687488

That's a link to Brian Baldinger, one of the best analysts in the game, he does Baldy's Breakdowns which have been for me some of the most informative NFL content you can get, i've learnt a lot from those... He's got a whole video talking about Mailata and how impressive he's been

Wont get the headlines Hayne got, but he's already a better NFL player than Hayne and is IMO, a lock to make the roster. The eagles will absolutely NOT risk letting this guy hit Waivers and having 20+ teams put in claims for him. He has the chance to a legitimate franchise LT... long way to go of course and the odds still say he washes out, but he's got a chance, the athleticism and potential is incredible.
Thats massive.
Good on him.
5tumpy
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by 5tumpy »

Anyone interested in a live, in-person draft fantasy league in Canberra this year?

Very last minute, but seeing if we can make it happen.

Let me know if you're interested.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

When would the draft be, mate?

Also Ross Tucker, former OLmen in the NFL and all around good media guy reckons Mailata is a future LT in the league

He’s really getting some good publicity
5tumpy
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by 5tumpy »

We haven't locked in a date yet, but it'll be before kick off, so some time in the next week and a half!

Matalina looked the goods, it might have only been against 3rd stringers, but he dominated them!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 26, 2018, 9:51 am When would the draft be, mate?

Also Ross Tucker, former OLmen in the NFL and all around good media guy reckons Mailata is a future LT in the league

He’s really getting some good publicity
Thats awesome. Watching him play Jr league was almost comical. He was a giant amongst boys
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Its only preseason.
Its only preseason.
Its only preseason.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It really is only pre-season
No one of note played for the Cowboys, that result means literally nothing
Browns went 4-0 last pre season, Eagles went 2-2 i think... Meh
Same with the Eagles, until i see Wentz, Ajayi, Jeffery, Agholar, JP, and co stink it up, im not worried.

The cowboys biggest problem is their all pro centre is unlikely to play any time soon, their all pro guard has a knee issue and their all pro LT's back is a mess.
That's a genuine concern.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 27, 2018, 7:58 pm It really is only pre-season
No one of note played for the Cowboys, that result means literally nothing
Browns went 4-0 last pre season, Eagles went 2-2 i think... Meh
Same with the Eagles, until i see Wentz, Ajayi, Jeffery, Agholar, JP, and co stink it up, im not worried.

The cowboys biggest problem is their all pro centre is unlikely to play any time soon, their all pro guard has a knee issue and their all pro LT's back is a mess.
That's a genuine concern.
By all accounts Smith is fitter/ healthier than ever....
Which if course means he will fall over in wk 1 or 2
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You must be seeing different accounts to me.
I feel like every day im seeing beat reporters talking about how Smith is struggling with the back issue that caused him issues last year.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 27, 2018, 9:06 pm You must be seeing different accounts to me.
I feel like every day im seeing beat reporters talking about how Smith is struggling with the back issue that caused him issues last year.
Beat reporters are saying that.
His team mates have been saying the opposite. In fact, a few have said he looks better than ever.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Jordan Mailata
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:06 pm Jordan Mailata
Is there more to that statement?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I read this week that only one side in Superb Owl history has taken it out after losing all their trial games. I think the cowboys, seahawks + 2 other sides havent won a trial.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 1, 2018, 3:59 pm
Nothing more to be said, he played insanely well for a guy playing his 4th game and almost certainly booked himself a ticket to the 53 man roster
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: September 1, 2018, 5:16 pm I read this week that only one side in Superb Owl history has taken it out after losing all their trial games. I think the cowboys, seahawks + 2 other sides havent won a trial.
We will be lucky to play post season this yr
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 1, 2018, 6:37 pm
Matt wrote: September 1, 2018, 3:59 pm
Nothing more to be said, he played insanely well for a guy playing his 4th game and almost certainly booked himself a ticket to the 53 man roster
I look forward to seeing him play
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh he wont play, in fact i doubt if he'll even be active unless some situation arises where we have nothing to play for at the end of the year, and they want to see him go against NFL competition

But to make the 53 would be amazing, and on top of that Mike Mayock basically spent the entire 4th pre season game broadcast Randy Marshing about how good the kid was give his experience. Ross Tucker tweeted that he thinks the guy will be a pro bowler

On the Ross Tucker pod, he qualified those statements by saying he was there in Buffalo when they moved Jason Peters from Tight End to OT, and said he could immediately see the way he stone walled dudes and washed guys down the line on inside moves and knew he'd be good. Said he saw the same **** in Mailata.

Other NFL players have tweeted about him too, and how impressive he is.

He's already a better NFL player than Hayne.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 1, 2018, 7:46 pm Oh he wont play, in fact i doubt if he'll even be active unless some situation arises where we have nothing to play for at the end of the year, and they want to see him go against NFL competition

But to make the 53 would be amazing, and on top of that Mike Mayock basically spent the entire 4th pre season game broadcast Randy Marshing about how good the kid was give his experience. Ross Tucker tweeted that he thinks the guy will be a pro bowler

On the Ross Tucker pod, he qualified those statements by saying he was there in Buffalo when they moved Jason Peters from Tight End to OT, and said he could immediately see the way he stone walled dudes and washed guys down the line on inside moves and knew he'd be good. Said he saw the same **** in Mailata.

Other NFL players have tweeted about him too, and how impressive he is.

He's already a better NFL player than Hayne.
Lets be honest. This bit isnt actually that hard.

Surely he is there on game day as backup? Injuries do happen
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Just finished the draft for my fantasy league at work.

garbagefire.mov

Came 2nd in that comp last 2 years so due a spoon.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Pigman,

Walk me through why you would trade the best front 7 player in the league?
He can play End or OLB and be the best payer at that position.
Why is Mack now a Bear?
Surely thats a MASSIVE screw up by the Raiders?!?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2018, 1:07 pm @Pigman,

Why is Mack now a Bear?
Well... that depends on whether you believe the rumours.

From a footballing perspective, it makes absolute zero sense. Like none.
Mack is one of the best 2, at worst 3, defensive players in the league... very few players can impact the game on a down by down basis the way he can... as you say, scheme versatile, 3-4 or 4-3 he can play in either and be a DPOTY candidate.
To trade him for two first rounders is obscene and bad enough, to throw in your own second for the honour of losing a generational talent is **** negligence and frankly whoever is responsible for it, Gruden or Reggie MacKenzie, or both should be marched out the door on the spot. Inexcusable. The trade is declined when you try try to make that trade in Madden!

The two first rounders is such a **** dumb thing to hang your hat on. The reason you want first round picks and want them high is so you can have the chance to get generational talents, game chancing talents, at key positions... like a **** 15 sack a year edge rusher :lol:
Unless BOTH of these picks are Mack level or better, this is a fiasco. The most likely HIGH upside outcome is one will be a bust and one will be a good NFL player... with Chucky behind the picks, given his history, i would bet good money both those picks end up being nondescript decent NFL starts or worse.

It's an unmitigated disaster. One of the worst trades in NFL history and likely ends any chance of success in the Gruden era before the 10 year, 100m deal really begins.

The Raiders also cut Martavius Bryant after they traded a 3rd rounder for him 4 months ago, he's got another looming suspension and his NFL career is probably over, and moved a 5th round pick for AJ McCarron who isnt worth a 5th of gin.

I can not even imagine how this day gets topped for a franchise. Total and utter **** show.

NOOOOOW... Here's what i actually think has happened... this has been referenced on many pods, it's basically openly talked about... but when you sign a guy long term, their guaranteed portion of the contract has to go into escrow (basically a third party holds the money), this is to ensure if the owner goes broke or something ridiculous happens, the players are protected... so a Mack deal (lets work off the CHI deal for arguments sake) meant that Mark Davis would have needed to put 60m in escrow the day the deal was signed, and another 30 mil within the next 12 months... so 90mil in 12 months... rumours have it, Davis simply doesnt have the cash flow for that right now... he's basically cash broke and will be until the move to LV where he'll get back into a position to pay talent again...

So that's to me the most logical explanation to me... the owner simply cant afford to pay the guy right now, so they moved him...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 3, 2018, 6:57 pm
Matt wrote: September 3, 2018, 1:07 pm @Pigman,

Why is Mack now a Bear?
Well... that depends on whether you believe the rumours.

From a footballing perspective, it makes absolute zero sense. Like none.
Mack is one of the best 2, at worst 3, defensive players in the league... very few players can impact the game on a down by down basis the way he can... as you say, scheme versatile, 3-4 or 4-3 he can play in either and be a DPOTY candidate.
To trade him for two first rounders is obscene and bad enough, to throw in your own second for the honour of losing a generational talent is **** negligence and frankly whoever is responsible for it, Gruden or Reggie MacKenzie, or both should be marched out the door on the spot. Inexcusable. The trade is declined when you try try to make that trade in Madden!

The two first rounders is such a **** dumb thing to hang your hat on. The reason you want first round picks and want them high is so you can have the chance to get generational talents, game chancing talents, at key positions... like a **** 15 sack a year edge rusher :lol:
Unless BOTH of these picks are Mack level or better, this is a fiasco. The most likely HIGH upside outcome is one will be a bust and one will be a good NFL player... with Chucky behind the picks, given his history, i would bet good money both those picks end up being nondescript decent NFL starts or worse.

It's an unmitigated disaster. One of the worst trades in NFL history and likely ends any chance of success in the Gruden era before the 10 year, 100m deal really begins.

The Raiders also cut Martavius Bryant after they traded a 3rd rounder for him 4 months ago, he's got another looming suspension and his NFL career is probably over, and moved a 5th round pick for AJ McCarron who isnt worth a 5th of gin.

I can not even imagine how this day gets topped for a franchise. Total and utter **** show.

NOOOOOW... Here's what i actually think has happened... this has been referenced on many pods, it's basically openly talked about... but when you sign a guy long term, their guaranteed portion of the contract has to go into escrow (basically a third party holds the money), this is to ensure if the owner goes broke or something ridiculous happens, the players are protected... so a Mack deal (lets work off the CHI deal for arguments sake) meant that Mark Davis would have needed to put 60m in escrow the day the deal was signed, and another 30 mil within the next 12 months... so 90mil in 12 months... rumours have it, Davis simply doesnt have the cash flow for that right now... he's basically cash broke and will be until the move to LV where he'll get back into a position to pay talent again...

So that's to me the most logical explanation to me... the owner simply cant afford to pay the guy right now, so they moved him...
JJ Watt and Aaron Donald?

As for Mack, ummmm...
Sell your house.
Your boat.
Your 100K imported car.
Sell 1 of your companies if u have too.
Hell cut every other bloke on the roster.
Beg,
Borrow,
Steal.
DO WHAT IT TAKES TO KEEP THE STUD.

If what u r saying is true, Raiders really know how to screw up their cap....
:shock:
:?
:hmmm
:lol:
See what i did?!?
:D
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

IndeedImage
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Manchild wrote: September 5, 2018, 6:41 pm IndeedImage
Screw u man.
I know what a post route is. U run to the corner post, right?!?!
:lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ive got my money league draft coming up at 9pm tonight.
14 teams, im picking 5th... hoping Lev's hold out is going to push him back to me
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 5, 2018, 8:14 pm Ive got my money league draft coming up at 9pm tonight.
14 teams, im picking 5th... hoping Lev's hold out is going to push him back to me
Have u prepared a 1, 2, 3 in each position?
Do u select by position? Or best on board?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i've got my own board ill work off, it's a superflex league (meaning you can start a 2nd qb) so that makes planning a bit tough, no idea when the run on qbs is going to start

i generally go best available but im not going to let myself get caught without some decent Qbs to start.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 5, 2018, 8:27 pm i've got my own board ill work off, it's a superflex league (meaning you can start a 2nd qb) so that makes planning a bit tough, no idea when the run on qbs is going to start

i generally go best available but im not going to let myself get caught without some decent Qbs to start.
U chasing Zeke this yr?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He ended up falling to me at 5 so I took him
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: September 5, 2018, 9:34 pm He ended up falling to me at 5 so I took him
Does no Fredrick worry u?
Touches wont be an issue, but production may?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is always worries... but he was my 4th ranked guy and i was picking 5th, so i just stuck to my board
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Id love to see your team once your done.