NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2020, 3:38 pm I think the Dolphins would do VERY well to reach out to Jason Peters and bring him in for a year... he can start the season at LT, do a fine job there and help mentor Jackson, and then towards the back end of the year (and at this stage, peters playing 16 games seems a stretch) Jackson gets in and they see a little of him and Peters can help coach him up on the run.

The Eagles had Dillard living off his hip last year and i think we'll see this year how invaluable that.
The idea had crossed my mind as soon as he became a UFA. His value is hard to quantify. Maybe around high end back up money. If that's the case I think plenty of other teams would happily take such a deal. Even re-sign with Pheagles.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I thought we would get Noah in the 2nd TBH. I really liked him, even if he is a little raw. I think in the 1st was a little high.
That said, Diggs is better, so Im happy.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: April 30, 2020, 3:51 pm I thought the Dolphins had a great draft. They absolutely nailed the Tua situation, played it perfectly. Got him without moving.
I like Noah Iggy, and think between him and the corners, as well as Wilkins from last year, McMillian who im still high on and think will develop, especially with better talent around him, and the new Raekwon in the 3rd who i know a bit about and quite like.
I think they're going to have a legit top 10-15 defence this year.

Im surprised they didnt address RB or WR in this draft, but RB in particular is deep next year and there is loads of solid veteran guys you can grab... they should at least make a phone call to Detroit to find out what Kerryon Johnson would cost, given they just got Swift.

I dont think we'll see it, i think this will be a TRUE redshirt year for Tua, but man i am pumped to see him at the next level and id love to see if with a legit gunslinger franchise QB under centre if that wouldnt unlock some consistency in Devante Parker, because when he's on he's unbelievable and if Tua can get consistent production from him perhaps they've already got a #1 WR
I think they will sit tight on RB now they have Breida and Howard on the books. Anybody else would only be a depth player and they already have those on the roster.

I wasn't sure what they would do at WR. Its was arguably their strongest unit heading into off season. Parker (finally) had a breakout year. Preston Williams was an awesome find as a UDFA, till he blew his knee. Will be back for start of 2020. Allen Hurns was productive and Jakeem Grant is a home run threat while being a good returner. No glaring need (compare to other positions) but a unit that could still be upgraded. Think they hedged their bets here knowing it can be addressed next year if anybody in this group falls away.

As mentioned it will be a difficult draft to judged. Tons of raw talent with some development to do. Its an advantage of not being expected to compete this year. Coach can play the long game and thow a few more darts to these high upside kind of guys.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: April 30, 2020, 3:56 pm I thought we would get Noah in the 2nd TBH. I really liked him, even if he is a little raw. I think in the 1st was a little high.
That said, Diggs is better, so Im happy.
Opinions were divided on where he lands. Some had late first, most had somewhere in the 2nd. Admittedly he was only a couple of picks off being a 2nd rounder. :)

I've heard that Grier and Flores even wanted to take him at 26 so were obviously keen. Trading back and getting him therefore looks like a win. The pick from Packers was bundled into the trade up for Solomon Kindley in the 4th round. If Kindley turns into a solid starter then the move is even better.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I had some how missed the Berida trade for the Dolphons. And had completely forgotten Howard landed there. That's actually a pretty spicy 1-2 punch there. That'd serve for a year to see where they are

Im heavily invested in Preston Williams in fantasy, he's legit... i dont know if Parker is but we'll find out pretty quickly this year
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 30, 2020, 3:53 pm
Botman wrote: April 30, 2020, 3:38 pm I think the Dolphins would do VERY well to reach out to Jason Peters and bring him in for a year... he can start the season at LT, do a fine job there and help mentor Jackson, and then towards the back end of the year (and at this stage, peters playing 16 games seems a stretch) Jackson gets in and they see a little of him and Peters can help coach him up on the run.

The Eagles had Dillard living off his hip last year and i think we'll see this year how invaluable that.
The idea had crossed my mind as soon as he became a UFA. His value is hard to quantify. Maybe around high end back up money. If that's the case I think plenty of other teams would happily take such a deal. Even re-sign with Pheagles.
I think his status in that organisation and locker room will make it very hard for him to go back in there with his current mindset. The eagles wanted to keep him and pay decent money for him as a back up. The org loves him, i think as soon as he retires he'll be back there in some capacity... but he's adamant he can still start in this league (and he can) but the Eagles need to get a prolonged look at Dillard.

I could see him back with Philly but only if he's willing to take the back up role and be happy with it and basically be paid to be an extra coach... but given the disgraceful OL situations around the league, it's hard to see SOMEONE not ponying up to give him a pretty solid 1 year deal to plug their LT hole.

For an emerging locker room and young team trying to build, i reckon the Dolphins would be mad not to do it. Especially given the limited nature of this off season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: April 30, 2020, 7:42 pm I had some how missed the Berida trade for the Dolphons. And had completely forgotten Howard landed there. That's actually a pretty spicy 1-2 punch there. That'd serve for a year to see where they are

Im heavily invested in Preston Williams in fantasy, he's legit... i dont know if Parker is but we'll find out pretty quickly this year
You need Williams to stay healthy and he's in the 100 catches and 1000yd territory. Nails his routes and gets good separation. Other than the knee injury his only real downside is concentration. Sometimes gets open and drops the ball because he's already thinking RAC.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Dalton to the Cowboys. I was not expecting that.
That’s one less veteran QB for the Jags to sign... cmon guys, sign Cam!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: May 3, 2020, 11:13 am Dalton to the Cowboys. I was not expecting that.
That’s one less veteran QB for the Jags to sign... cmon guys, sign Cam!

Not sure how to take this one....

Is it to put a "bomb" under Dak?
Is it cover for a hold out?
McCarthy likes a solid QB room, and QBs 3 and 4 need work, and are projects, so could be that.

7 mill. 3 guaranteed. He is a Texas native. So its a way to move "home."
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Cover for a hold out.
Proven vet backup.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Thinking deeper it's not a bad insurance play by the Cowboys. If anything happens with Dak e.g. gets injured or jumps ship after next season, they have a decent backup in place.

I still expected Dalton to end up at a team where he could press the incumbent if needed. Like Titans did with Tannehill.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Logic says he is coming to play backup, but also play holdout cover.

Given we drafted a QB, Id say the writing is on the wall for the current practice squad QB Clayton Thorson, and current backup QB Cooper Rush, that there is probably only 1 spot for the 2 of them, knowing that the squad increase means u can carry 3, plus the practice squad guy.

Given the franchise tag actually gave Dak an increase, im not sure why they are just giving him what he wants. If he wants 4yrs not 5, JUST DO IT!!! So annoying
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Very curious decision to sign him
I dont for one second buy this has nothing to do with Dak's deal

It's a smart signing, he's a capable NFL QB when surrounded by talent. If Dak holds out or gets hurt, he'll be able to keep them afloat.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 3, 2020, 7:13 pm Very curious decision to sign him
I dont for one second by this has nothing to do with Dak's deal

It's a smart signing, he's a capable NFL QB when surrounded by talent. If Dak holds out or gets hurt, he'll be able to keep them afloat.
I can see it now...
In the championship game against the 9ers in San Fran, Bosa lays the smackdown on Dak, late in the 4th while delivering the clutch game winning TD pass to Blake Jarwin over the middle. Cowboys are up by 9 with a tick under 2mins on the clock.

They find out after the game its a broken collar bone.

The Red Rocket is in a SB against the Ravens. A foe he knows so well. The Ravens 4 headed monster, lead by back to back MVP winner Lamar Jackson.

The Nick Foles effect...
Dalton brings the Cowboys their next ring. BOOM!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

*Cowboys down, but they have the ball, win and they're in. Lose and they go home agonisingly short.
It's first and 10, enough time before the two minute warning for 2 plays. Beave had Dak hand off to Zeke. Stuffed.
Precious seconds come off the clock, Dak and the Cowboys are in hurry up... Dak takes the snap, drops back...

The DE comes around the edge smashes him into the turf, you can hear the thud of his head hitting the ground from the commentary booth... The 2 minute warning hits. But Dak is headed to concussion protocol.

In comes the Red Riffle! 2 minutes, ball in hand and down, with it all on the line. NO timeouts

3rd and 10, Dalton finds Cooper for 12 yards, BIG completion. It gets them a first down and to mid field. 1st and 10, Dalton misfires on a deep shot to Lamb, a little over thrown. 2nd the 10, Zeke finds a seem and gets 8. 3rd and 2, Dalton flushed from the pocket and but he rushes for the first down and gets out of bounds to stop the clock.

1st and 10, 1:40 left, 40 yards from pay dirt.. They hand it off to Zeke, what is Beave doing?! He gets 2 but 20 seconds run off the clock.... 1:20 when Dalton snaps the ball, he fires short to Jarwin, he gets 5, the clock is running... another 20 seconds come off, under a minute left when Dalton snaps on 3rd and 3, he finds Cooper for 15. BIG COMPLETION.

They run to line up and spike the ball, 40 seconds left. 2nd and 10 from the 18. They try a screen pass to Zeke, cheeky but it's snuffed out for a 1 yard loss, the clock is running, there is no time outs.
Dalton gets them to the line, he snaps it with 25 left on 3rd and 11. Another clutch play, he moves in the pocket and find Amari Cooper for 12. They're 6 yards from pay dirt and there is 8 seconds left by the time they clock the ball. A quick 2 plays or a long 1.

Dalton drops back, protection is immacuate, he's got all day! He looks left, looks right, eyes come back over the middle, and fires high to the TE Jarwin who makes an incredible catch with 00's on the clock!
They did it! The cowboys did it! As time expires, the Cowboys punch it in for a touchdown. Final score for week 17, Cowboys 17, Buffalo Bill 35.
With this loss the cowboys miss the play offs for a second consecutive year and finish the year at 8-8, 4 full games behind the division winning Eagles. But what a play to end what is ultimately an extremely disappointing season. The cowboys entire the off season with Dak Prescott's contract situation still unresolved.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:*Cowboys down, but they have the ball, win and they're in. Lose and they go home agonisingly short.
It's first and 10, enough time before the two minute warning for 2 plays. Beave had Dak hand off to Zeke. Stuffed.
Precious seconds come off the clock, Dak and the Cowboys are in hurry up... Dak takes the snap, drops back...

The DE comes around the edge smashes him into the turf, you can hear the thud of his head hitting the ground from the commentary booth... The 2 minute warning hits. But Dak is headed to concussion protocol.

In comes the Red Riffle! 2 minutes, ball in hand and down, with it all on the line. NO timeouts

3rd and 10, Dalton finds Cooper for 12 yards, BIG completion. It gets them a first down and to mid field. 1st and 10, Dalton misfires on a deep shot to Lamb, a little over thrown. 2nd the 10, Zeke finds a seem and gets 8. 3rd and 2, Dalton flushed from the pocket and but he rushes for the first down and gets out of bounds to stop the clock.

1st and 10, 1:40 left, 40 yards from pay dirt.. They hand it off to Zeke, what is Beave doing?! He gets 2 but 20 seconds run off the clock.... 1:20 when Dalton snaps the ball, he fires short to Jarwin, he gets 5, the clock is running... another 20 seconds come off, under a minute left when Dalton snaps on 3rd and 3, he finds Cooper for 15. BIG COMPLETION.

They run to line up and spike the ball, 40 seconds left. 2nd and 10 from the 18. They try a screen pass to Zeke, cheeky but it's snuffed out for a 1 yard loss, the clock is running, there is no time outs.
Dalton gets them to the line, he snaps it with 25 left on 3rd and 11. Another clutch play, he moves in the pocket and find Amari Cooper for 12. They're 6 yards from pay dirt and there is 8 seconds left by the time they clock the ball. A quick 2 plays or a long 1.

Dalton drops back, protection is immacuate, he's got all day! He looks left, looks right, eyes come back over the middle, and fires high to the TE Jarwin who makes an incredible catch with 00's on the clock!
They did it! The cowboys did it! As time expires, the Cowboys punch it in for a touchdown. Final score for week 17, Cowboys 17, Buffalo Bill 35.
With this loss the cowboys miss the play offs for a second consecutive year and finish the year at 8-8, 4 full games behind the division winning Eagles. But what a play to end what is ultimately an extremely disappointing season. The cowboys entire the off season with Dak Prescott's contract situation still unresolved.
Haha. A little more believable than Matt's reaching.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 3, 2020, 8:13 pm *Cowboys down, but they have the ball, win and they're in. Lose and they go home agonisingly short.

I was enjoying that, but knew there was a punchline :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This is a different team, with a very different coach. The draft and recruitment shows that. We aren't going 8-8 without a disaster
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just a little Eagles fanficiton for you Sunday night :D

Honestly i think both the eagles and cowboys are very talented and good. Neither performed at the level they should have last year, Dallas had coaching issues, Philly had injury issues... but to me these are both potential 13 win teams

The difference last year was Dougy P was a far superior coach to Garrett, and whilst the gap has closed, i still think we've got the coaching advantage. And overall talent advantage give the stat of the Dallas D.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Read an article saying Jags and Jets were interested in Dalton. Steelers also offered him a better contract. All teams he'd have a better shot at winning the starting job. Have to wonder if there's more to his signing with the Cowboys. Are they positioning themselves to move on from Dak?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2020, 11:01 am Read an article saying Jags and Jets were interested in Dalton. Steelers also offered him a better contract. All teams he'd have a better shot at winning the starting job. Have to wonder if there's more to his signing with the Cowboys. Are they positioning themselves to move on from Dak?
He is 32, will be 33 in October, so its around that time QBs start looking at post football. He is a Texas native, has a house there. Its could be a good reason to move home, and let the Cowboys pickup the moving tab.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: May 4, 2020, 11:05 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2020, 11:01 am Read an article saying Jags and Jets were interested in Dalton. Steelers also offered him a better contract. All teams he'd have a better shot at winning the starting job. Have to wonder if there's more to his signing with the Cowboys. Are they positioning themselves to move on from Dak?
He is 32, will be 33 in October, so its around that time QBs start looking at post football. He is a Texas native, has a house there. Its could be a good reason to move home, and let the Cowboys pickup the moving tab.
The "heading home" line is a convenient one and I'm not buying. Surely Dalton hasn't given up on his career already and is preparing for retirement.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I definitely think its a little hold insurance, and frankly they should take out that insurance

Dak must understand the leverage he has, the cowboys feel like they're ready to win now, Dak took on the risks and had his best statistical season in his career. The Cowboys need him badly. He should not step on the field again until he's gotten a deal that satisfies him. Whatever that looks like.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 4, 2020, 2:23 pm I definitely think its a little hold insurance, and frankly they should take out that insurance

Dak must understand the leverage he has, the cowboys feel like they're ready to win now, Dak took on the risks and had his best statistical season in his career. The Cowboys need him badly. He should not step on the field again until he's gotten a deal that satisfies him. Whatever that looks like.
Everything Im hearing is money is agreed on, its time.
He wants a 4yr deal, Cowboys want more.
At 26, he wants another pay day at 30, and potentially a retirement one after that if the body holds up.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2020, 11:39 am
The "heading home" line is a convenient one and I'm not buying. Surely Dalton hasn't given up on his career already and is preparing for retirement.
https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-sign- ... allas-qbs/

Have a read.
He is coming to be the backup, and his career has been in decline for a while.
As i said a while back, I think this has more bearing on the 2 backup QBs from the previous regime.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: May 4, 2020, 3:24 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2020, 11:39 am
https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-sign- ... allas-qbs/

Have a read.
He is coming to be the backup, and his career has been in decline for a while.
As i said a while back, I think this has more bearing on the 2 backup QBs from the previous regime.
Was that article meant to add enlightenment? As I said, it's a convenient story and they're running with it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If Andy Dalton is happy being a back up, and he knows his place in the league is a high end back up and he'd rather do that close to home, why is it a one year deal?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 4, 2020, 7:45 pm If Andy Dalton is happy being a back up, and he knows his place in the league is a high end back up and he'd rather do that close to home, why is it a one year deal?
No clue why it's a 1yr deal.

But Cooper Rush was cut over night.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Checked on the map and Dalton’s home town is on the outskirts of Houston. Thats like somebody from Canberra moving to Sydney for a homecoming.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2020, 8:00 am Checked on the map and Dalton’s home town is on the outskirts of Houston. Thats like somebody from Canberra moving to Sydney for a homecoming.
He went to TCU (Texas Christian University) in college, which is down the road at Fort Worth.
He has a house near there.

Its not where he was born, its where he grew up.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: May 5, 2020, 9:35 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2020, 8:00 am Checked on the map and Dalton’s home town is on the outskirts of Houston. Thats like somebody from Canberra moving to Sydney for a homecoming.
He went to TCU (Texas Christian University) in college, which is down the road at Fort Worth.

OK, so he's happy sacrifice a potential starting role so he can be close to where he went to college. ;)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2020, 10:07 am

OK, so he's happy sacrifice a potential starting role so he can be close to where he went to college. ;)
If thats where he calls home. Yes.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: May 5, 2020, 10:17 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2020, 10:07 am

If thats where he calls home. Yes.
:lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Don Shula passed away at 90 years of age. :(
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2020, 10:20 am Don Shula passed away at 90 years of age. :(
Yep saw that. Very sad