NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

The Flacco trade could be the most fun off-season story considering it raises more questions than it answers. You look at Flacco's historical achievements and he's top shelf. A genuine starter you can build a team around. Look at his more recent numbers and he's just another Keenum for the Broncos.

There's obviously a plan in place by the Broncos that we can only speculate on right now. My take is this.

Keenum was garbage, as has every other post Manning QB been for the Broncos. So the plan is obviously upgrading that spot for the long term. Flacco is a placeholder while they find their ultimate solution. While his numbers recently reflect those of Bronco's other recent QBs the big difference is this. We know for a fact Flacco can play better than those stats indicate. Whether he can get his mojo back is yet to be seen. Possibly a victim of the system at Ravens or he's simply past it and will never re-visit his halcyon days.

So we know he's Bronco's starting QB for 2019. Beyond that is what we need to see play out. I think the one certainty form this is they are off the market for a QB on day 1 of the draft. A top 10 QB in the draft is going to command too much money and Broncos cannot have the cap burden of 2 QBs on starter salaries. What it does giver them is an great trade position at pick 10. There will be plenty of coveted players on the board at that time which teams will be prepared to trade up for. Always nice to sctockpile picks if you want to address a variety of needs.

As a result I expect them to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a QB from the variety projected to go in this area (Grier, Finley, Thorson etc). Altenatively pick up a project QB in rounds 5-6. Unless somebody they really like falls to them early on day 2 I expect the latter scenario to transpire. 2020 looks like a much stronger QB class so they are better served giving Flacco a shot now and making a move for a QB in the draft next year. By that stage they will have a pretty good idea of where they sit with Flacco. If he's going OK they can draft a good QB somewhere in the early rounds without busting a nut for a top pick. If he's not performing then they can go all out one of the elite prospects and (hopefully) find their franchise QB.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Bone's mock v2

Team # Pick Pos.
Cardinals 1 Nick Bosa DE
49ers 2 Josh Allen OLB
Jets 3 Quinnen Williams DT
Raiders 4 Rashan Gary DE
Buccs 5 Josh Jacobs RB
Giants 6 Dwayne Haskins QB
Jaguars 7 Jawaan Taylor T
Lions 8 Clelin Ferrell DE
Bills 9 Jonah Williams T/G
Broncos 10 Greedy Williams CB
Bengals 11 Devin White ILB
Packers 12 Andre Dillard T
Dolphins 13 Kyler Murray QB
Falcons 14 Ed Oliver DT
Redskins 15 Marquise Brown WR
Panthers 16 Montez Sweat DE
Browns 17 Cody Ford T/G
Vikings 18 Christian Wilkins DT
Titans 19 D.K. Metcalf WR
Steelers 20 Mack Wilson ILB
Seahawks 21 Dexter Lawrence DT
Ravens 22 K'Neal Harry WR
Texans 23 Deionte Thompson S
Raiders 24 Jeffery Simmons DT
Eagles 25 Deandre Baker CB
Colts 26 Jachai Polite DE
Raiders 27 Byron Murphy CB
Chargers 28 Dre'Mont Jones DT
Chiefs 29 Brian Burns DE
Packers 30 Nasir Adderley S
Rams 31 Devin Bush OLB
Patriots 32 Noah Fant TE
Cardinals 33 Dalton Risner C/G
Colts 34 A.J. Brown WR
Raiders 35 Riley Ridley WR
49ers 36 Taylor Rapp S
Giants 37 Yodny Cajuste T
Jaguars 38 Irv Smith Jr. TE
Buccs 39 Jaylon Ferguson DE
Bills 40 Kelvin Harmon WR
Broncos 41 Drew Lock QB
Bengals 42 Daniel Jones QB
Lions 43 Johnathon Abram S
Packers 44 Zach Allen DE
Falcons 45 David Edwards T
Redskins 46 Ryan Finley QB
Panthers 47 Juan Thornhill S
Dolphins 48 Oshane Ximines DE
Browns 49 JJ Arcega-Whiteside WR
Vikings 50 Beau Benzschawel G
Titans 51 Jerry Tillery DT
Steelers 52 Chase Winovich DE
Eagles 53 Damien Harris RB
Texans 54 Chris Lindstrom G
Texans 55 Trayvon Mullen CB
Patriots 56 T.J Edwards ILB
Eagles 57 Greg Little T
Cowboys 58 Jaquan Johnson S
Colts 59 Gerald Willis DT
Chargers 60 Elgton Jenkins T
Chiefs 61 Omani Oruwariye CB
Saints 62 T.J. Hockenson TE
Chiefs 63 David Montgomery RB
Patriots 64 Isaiah Buggs DE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Broncos fans would shoot their loads if Drew Lock fell to them in the 2nd round.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hot shots go 2-0
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I love josh Jacobs and think he’ll end up as a day 1 pick

Top 5 is way too rich for my blood
That’s rarified air for rb prospects, and should only apply to guys like Barkley/Zeke

Jacobs hasn’t got their resume or atheticism/vision as a runner
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Otherwise solid mock
Really like pairing Simmons with the Raiders with one of their latter picks
I think that’s my stone cold lock, no way Mayock lets a top 5 talent get past him at the back end of round 1 when they don’t even give a **** if they’re good next year or not
I usually do 2 mocks, a what i think will happen and what i think should happen... both get blown up before pick 7 with a trade so it's all for nought, but Simmons to the Raiders with Dallas's pick is locked in on both of those

Also I’d be thrilled if Baker got to us.

Also I think Fant, Smith Jr AND hockenson are going on day 1. The TE position is very in vogue right now and those three are better prospects than even Ertz who I was super high on

I think they’ll get pushed up the board big time
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Tag season starts tomorrow. Assuming Pheagles tag Foles what will be the outcome?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: February 17, 2019, 5:47 pm Otherwise solid mock
I think that’s my stone cold lock, no way Mayock lets a top 5 talent get past him at the back end of round 1 when they don’t even give a **** if they’re good next year or not
I usually do 2 mocks, a what i think will happen and what i think should happen... both get blown up before pick 7 with a trade so it's all for nought, but Simmons to the Raiders with Dallas's pick is locked in on both of those

Also I think Fant, Smith Jr AND hockenson are going on day 1. The TE position is very in vogue right now and those three are better prospects than even Ertz who I was super high on

So, what your saying is Cowboys will have to sell their souls for a doughnut?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 18, 2019, 10:24 am

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 11:03 am
Matt wrote: February 18, 2019, 10:24 am

:lol:
:thumbsup
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 10:22 am Tag season starts tomorrow. Assuming Pheagles tag Foles what will be the outcome?

We'll see
Im pretty skeptical of it. The mechanics of it are tough, and technically, tagging him to trade him would be illegal (though it's happen a number of times before)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote: February 18, 2019, 11:47 am
Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 10:22 am Tag season starts tomorrow. Assuming Pheagles tag Foles what will be the outcome?

We'll see
Im pretty skeptical of it. The mechanics of it are tough, and technically, tagging him to trade him would be illegal (though it's happen a number of times before)
One of the reason I'm raising the question. This is far from normal situation. for arguments sake they do tag and trade, where does he end up?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 12:33 pm

We'll see
One of the reason I'm raising the question. This is far from normal situation. for arguments sake they do tag and trade, where does he end up?
Highest Bidder :D
I reckon you can rule out NFC East, which is really only Giants.
Put a line through Bronx.
I reckon Jags
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I’m tipping Foles to end up with Jags. Whether that’s through tag and trade or free agency we’ll see

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: February 18, 2019, 1:19 pm I’m tipping Foles to end up with Jags. Whether that’s through tag and trade or free agency we’ll see

Not so sure. Noises out of Jacksonville is they want to draft a QB and at no7 would have their pick of whoever Giants don't take at no6. The money Foles will command on top of a big rookie QB deal would be problematic. Having 2 QBs on starter money will inhinot their ability to recruit/retain elsewhere. As starting QB salary is 2-3 quality players in other positions.

Of course if he did go to Jags then it effectively takes them off the board for a QB in the 1st round. With them and potentially Broncos out of the market you're only left with Giants in the top 10 who are likely to take a QB. Good news for teams picking later who might steal one.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 2:19 pm
the bone wrote: February 18, 2019, 1:19 pm I’m tipping Foles to end up with Jags. Whether that’s through tag and trade or free agency we’ll see

Not so sure. Noises out of Jacksonville is they want to draft a QB and at no7 would have their pick of whoever Giants don't take at no6. The money Foles will command on top of a big rookie QB deal would be problematic. Having 2 QBs on starter money will inhinot their ability to recruit/retain elsewhere. As starting QB salary is 2-3 quality players in other positions.

Of course if he did go to Jags then it effectively takes them off the board for a QB in the 1st round. With them and potentially Broncos out of the market you're only left with Giants in the top 10 who are likely to take a QB. Good news for teams picking later who might steal one.
If its not 1 of those 2, and the Bronx already blew their bargaining power, who is left?

Surely you can rule out:
Pats, Rams, Saints, Chiefs, Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, Browns (weird suggesting that!?!), Ravens, Bears, Texans, Colts, Seahawks, Vikings, Panthers, Redskins (Will Alex Smith return? Even if he doesnt, surely they dont trade in Div), Bills (happy with Allen?), Jets, 9ers, Cards

Leaving:
Chargers - Is Rivers going around again?
Titoons - Are they over Mariota?
Falcons - Matty Ice has melted?
Phins - Tannahill... surely its time to pull the trigger
Bengals - Has the Red Rocket flown its last mission?
Lions - Stafford played his last here?
Buccs - Fitzmagic vs Winston proved a banger... hahahaha
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Once the Eagles strategy becomes apparent we will get a much better idea of the potential suitors for Foles. While inter-division trades are less common there are a couple of potential landing sites within there. Could be a real left field move takes the prize. Plenty to play out here.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 12:33 pm

We'll see
As bone suggests, the Jags are the most logical situation. DeFilip and Foles is obviously a good fit, and that team thinks it's win now so a vet qb makes sense.
I dont think they'll trade for him, because i think they'll guess (quite rightly) that by just saying and promoting they arent interested in Foles means they can sign him without giving anything up, the eagles arent tagging him unless they already have a deal ironed out.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Compared to prior years, there isn’t that many QB needy teams... Giants, Jags and reportedly the Dolphins if they’re wanting to move on from Tannehill. The teams with ageing quarterbacks are all in win-now mode, so they’re unlikely to spend first round capital on a pick this year (eg Saints, Steelers, Pats, Chargers).
With the talk that this QB class is below average, I think we’ll only see 2-3 QBs taken in the first round. I mocked Giants and Dolphins... the third could potentially be Redskins but they still have to fork out a lot of money to Alex Smith

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: February 18, 2019, 11:22 pm Compared to prior years, there isn’t that many QB needy teams... Giants, Jags and reportedly the Dolphins if they’re wanting to move on from Tannehill. The teams with ageing quarterbacks are all in win-now mode, so they’re unlikely to spend first round capital on a pick this year (eg Saints, Steelers, Pats, Chargers).
With the talk that this QB class is below average, I think we’ll only see 2-3 QBs taken in the first round. I mocked Giants and Dolphins... the third could potentially be Redskins but they still have to fork out a lot of money to Alex Smith
Giants look like a given for drafting a QB. Manning on the back end of his career is a perfect time to transition to a Rookie. Suck up the cap hit for 1 year and you can have a top prospect learning behind a solid veteran.

Jags could take themselves off the board for a round 1 QB if they trade for Foles. Have to see what pans out there.

Most mocks have Dolphins taking a QB at 13 (or even trading up for one) but there's every chance they could wait for 2020 which is flagged as a much stronger QB class.

The QBs projected to go 1st round this year are Haskins, Lock, Murray and Jones in varying order, with daylight to the next group. Very possible a couple of these guys could slide right down the board. This is a great scenario for team picking in the 20's who have will need to replace an ageing franchise QB (e.g. Chargers).
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the Giants are a given to draft a QB
I think they're mostly in denial about Eli.

I think the Skins are going to draft Daniel Jones in the first. Or some other QB.
i agree that this year it seems like there arent many QB needy teams, the Foles/Tannehill/Tyrod market will be interesting.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote: February 19, 2019, 7:13 pm I think the Giants are a given to draft a QB
I think they're mostly in denial about Eli.

I think the Skins are going to draft Daniel Jones in the first. Or some other QB.
i agree that this year it seems like there arent many QB needy teams, the Foles/Tannehill/Tyrod market will be interesting.
However the chips fall I'd still expect Jones to be on the board when Skins pick at 15. If he's the guy they want then they are in a good spot. Be interesting if Lock is still available too. Do you take the guy with games smarts or the guy with the great arm.

I think Jones is the more solid choice but a good chance he will be no more than a solid NFL QB. Lock has the upside and if he continues to develop he's a potential franchise guy.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

*i don’t think the giants are a given to draft a qb
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote: February 20, 2019, 7:14 am *i don’t think the giants are a given to draft a qb
Really? Pending unforeseen trade/free agent moves, why so?

I think they are perfectly placed to draft a QB this year. At no6 they have their pick of the bunch. New QB can sit behind Manning and transition into starter at any stage (week 1, week 8, week 16 or next season).
the bone
John Ferguson

NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

I will be shocked if the Giants don’t draft a QB. The only way they don’t is if they get one through FA or trade, but I don’t see that happening with any of the current candidates. If I had to make a bold prediction regarding the Giants, I’ll go with the Raiders trading Carr to them in exchange for Manning, and then Gruden/Mayock using the #4 pick on a QB

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: February 20, 2019, 10:36 am I will be shocked if the Giants don’t draft a QB. The only way they don’t is if they get one through FA or trade, but I don’t see that happening with any of the current candidates. If I had to make a bold prediction regarding the Giants, I’ll go with the Raiders trading Carr to them in exchange for Manning, and then Gruden/Mayock using the #4 pick on a QB

I could see that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: February 20, 2019, 10:36 am I will be shocked if the Giants don’t draft a QB. The only way they don’t is if they get one through FA or trade, but I don’t see that happening with any of the current candidates. If I had to make a bold prediction regarding the Giants, I’ll go with the Raiders trading Carr to them in exchange for Manning, and then Gruden/Mayock using the #4 pick on a QB
Yeah, that's the kind of unforeseen trade that could occur. Any number of teams could trade for Manning and effectively put themselves in the same position as the Giants right now.

Realisitically though, why would the Giants want to swap their situation? They're in a pretty good spot to draft a potential franchise QB. To trade with someone like the Raiders they would need to think that Derek Carr is a better long term option than the best QB in this year's draft.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote:
Yeah, that's the kind of unforeseen trade that could occur. Any number of teams could trade for Manning and effectively put themselves in the same position as the Giants right now.

Realisitically though, why would the Giants want to swap their situation? They're in a pretty good spot to draft a potential franchise QB. To trade with someone like the Raiders they would need to think that Derek Carr is a better long term option than the best QB in this year's draft.
Yeah realistically I don’t think it’ll happen. The Giants were hammered by the NFL-verse for not picking a QB at #2 last year, but luckily for them they’re in a great position to pick one this year... it would be a monumental **** up to not pick a QB now.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah, last year they had their choice of Darnold, Rosen or Allen. Jury is out on which of those is going on to better things.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I think history will ultimately judge the Giants decision to draft Barkley on how Darnold turns out vs their next QB.
Even if Allen and Rosen turn in to superstars, few would’ve expected them to be picked over Darnold.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the Giants truly believe Eli is OK, like they'll draft a QB, but i dont think they'll do so at #6
Middle rounds, and maybe they hit a Russell Wilson home run or something... but that #6 to me feels like the OT Jonah Williams or a defensive difference maker along the lines. Which is RIGHT in Gettleman's wheelhouse. He LOOOOVES DL

They wont touch Murray, he's too small... and im not sure Haskins is the sort of QB they want either... no one else is worth the pick... i think they'll run it back with Eli for another year. Or go the vet route with Foles or Keenum or something... I think they think with Barkley, OBJ, Shepherd and Engram, with an upgrade on the OL, and some defensive investment, they'll be OK

Hot tip, they wont.
This QB class isnt good, i think the Giants will see the QB's coming up in the next 2-3 years and think if Eli stinks again, they'll be back up top to pick someone high with a better crop next year (Herbert, Tua, Fromm)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

2020 - Fromm, Tua, Herbert, Eason all due to come out
2021 - Lawrence, Fields

I think i would take at least 4 of those dudes over every QB in this class, probably 5 and Fields being the one i'd maybe have Haskins over.
Fromm, Tua, Herbert and Eason is a VERY good class, the Giants could get one of them if Eli sucks again
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Waiting for the class of 2020 assumes Shurmur is in a position to play the long game. Another losing season and the pressure is on everybody in 2020 to perform or die. Drafting this year and using it to transition in a rookie QB helps buy him some time.

Of course it all comes down to how they rate the 2019 class. If they covet a guy like Haskins then its as good as done.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 20, 2019, 12:57 pm Waiting for the class of 2020 assumes Shurmur is in a position to play the long game. Another losing season and the pressure is on everybody in 2020 to perform or die. Drafting this year and using it to transition in a rookie QB helps buy him some time.

Of course it all comes down to how they rate the 2019 class. If they covet a guy like Haskins then its as good as done.
Shurmer doesn’t make draft or FA decisions
That’s Gettleman, and he knows his long term security is dependent on his qb decision

Going with ownership who love Eli, and riding it out one more year, and giving him a chance at Tua, Fromm or Herbert gives him a better chance to hang on here

I could be wrong and maybe they love him... but I wouldn’t bet my job on Haskins
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bob Kraft arrested for soliciting prostitution as a result of an investigation into human trafficking

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/2/22 ... ostitution

Basic Bobby likes to pay sex slaves to **** him. The patriots can have their rings, that organisation is a disgrace. Proven, repeated cheats on the field and an owner who props up the human trafficking industry