thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: NFL Thread

Post by thedevilingreen »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Matt wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 23, 2019, 6:02 am
greeneyed wrote:Let’s face it, there’s no “right” reason for picking a team in a foreign country competing in a sport that’s also completely foreign in their upbringing. I liked the place when I visited. And the team played well when I became vaguely interested in the sport. Is there some other more acceptable rubric for choosing an NFL team I missed?
There’s the Fui method. Which team were you finally able to win with when you first started playing Madden
A perfectly acceptable method. Thats how I picked my NBA side, Charlotte Hornets, the Muggsy Bogues and Larry Johnson days, and my NHL side, Pitsburg Pengins with good old Jaromir Jagr at like 90 odd overall, because as we all know, there are 3 things set in life, death, taxes and Jaromir Jagr playing in the All Stars game. I dont have time to watch or play either now.

I dont really have time for sport much anymore. 2 kids makes that tougher. So, NBA is gone, my Soccer viewing is down to basic passing glances of the EPL and A-League and Australia FTA games - so, I barely know who is good and who isnt, and dont really recognize anyone anymore. BBL is now a case of only watching after my wife says 'there is nothing on'. AFL is down to the odd game once a month. Meaning my time is focused on Test Cricket, NRL and NFL. Its not enough IMO, but thats about as far as the time stretches these days.
Yeah apart from gaming, I’ve picked international sporting teams from players I loved watching;
SPL was Celtics because of Viduka (The green helped also)
EPL was Leeds because of Kewell, then Viduka. When they scored Fowler, that sealed the deal completely.
NBA was Raptors because of Vince Carter.
NHL was Ducks because of Charlie Conway, Adam Banks and Russ Tyler

I’m in the same boat as you, minus the kids. Just don’t have the time to get into sports as much as I used to. I’ve tried getting into AFL, following the Roos (No logic to picking them, just picked a team I like the colours of), but there’s not enough hours in the day to follow it all. I just browse the forums now to keep updated
Conway and Banks are the G.O.A.Ts

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Superbowl a bit of a grind early on. Both teams struggling to make the Red Zone. Rams hardly moving the chains. Often happens while defenses are fresh and hyped up. Expect things to loosen up in the 2nd half as fatigue starts to play a factor.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Second lowest scoring first half ever. Pats 3-0

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rams offense is being contain far too easily at the moment. With so many 3 and outs their defense is not getting a break. Cracks will start appearing and Brady will rip them apart. Only way to prevent this is to increase time of possession. Needs more quick slants, screens, underneath passes etc. Aim for those little 3-6 yard pass plays. Once the defense adjusts and gets flatter you can start creating some gaps for your runners or create deep targets with single coverage. Until such time they start moving the chains their death will be slow and painful.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That was close for the Rams.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How many sacks is that now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Patriots 3
Rams 3
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Well I said I expected the 2nd half to open up more. I'll push that prediction back to the 4th Qtr.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I keep nodding off. Has there been 1 red zone play in this game?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote:I keep nodding off. Has there been 1 red zone play in this game?
Nope, no red zone plays so far.

Bit of a phantom holding call on that drive

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Yikes bad interception there

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Glad I didnt call in sick to watch this

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Patriots 13-3

1:12 on the clock.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rams miss the field goal! That's the Super Bowl!

Patriots win! At the start of the season, they said they could not do it. And they have. Brady with six.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What an incredible sight, what an incredible stadium.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

What a horrible game. Both teams simply couldn't get their offense going. Rams probably their worse game of the season. Patriots marginally better which was good enough to win. Can really only put this down to the Rams choking on the big stage. Basically the Patriots win by not being horrible.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I may be wrong but there was 1 solitary red zone play in the entire game. The 2 yard TD run.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Done with hearing about super coach mcvey
He’s good, don’t get me wrong
He ain’t Dougie P

The pats win and tbh it never felt much in doubt
Not a great game to finish
Both QBs were horrendous

That might have been one of brady’s Worst games and the Rams still couldn’t get it done
A true credit to BB and the defence
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Edelman MVP. Hard to believe that in a Superbowl where both offences basically failed to fire that a WR would be MVP. Then again he was the only play with stand out stats for either team.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 4, 2019, 4:25 pm Edelman MVP. Hard to believe that in a Superbowl where both offences basically failed to fire that a WR would be MVP. Then again he was the only play with stand out stats for either team.
Think it was the wrong call
Both offences were very oridnary, it was a defensive game, think at that point you just pick the best and most impactful defender and go with that

I’d have gone with Gilmore or Van Noy
But it’s hard too when not many players had impactful plays on D either

It was not a great MVP game haha
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But it had a good result!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

**** game all round

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I liked it.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I knew it would fall this way.
Just hoped McVey, Goofie and Gurley could get it done.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: February 4, 2019, 5:29 pm I knew it would fall this way.
Just hoped McVey, Goofie and Gurley could get it done.
Nope, the good guys won!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: February 4, 2019, 4:56 pmI liked it.
You might like the result but the game was total and utter ****. No person with even the remotest appreciation of the NFL could legitimatley claim otherwise. Most are embarrassed that this was their showpiece game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: February 4, 2019, 6:25 pm
You might like the result but the game was total and utter ****. No person with even the remotest appreciation of the NFL could legitimatley claim otherwise. Most are embarrassed that this was their showpiece game.
I liked it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote:
I liked it.
Thanks for validating my statement

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well let me explain... the Patriots produced incredible defence... and they won... so I liked it. They didn't have to win in a certain way for it to be a good performance and for people to say "its a showpiece". It is a Super Bowl and you win whichever way you can.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Well enjoy watching the replays. The streaming should be strong as you won't have much competition.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I recorded it, so I don't have to stream it. :)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

You can use it whenever you have insomnia.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

it was an ugly end to a really good season.
NO will be furious, they saunter home in this game if they got through.

We've been spoilt in SB's of late, so many absolute bangers with memorable plays from each... The Philly Special, the Edelman Catch, Von Miller strip sack, Butler INT, the safety... i think this is the first game in probably 10 years that probably doesnt have a defining play... maybe the Gronk catch at the goal line ends up being it?

But to GE's point, there has been a lot of **** SB's in the history (this recent run has been historic in it's drama) and they all count the same.
But this wont ever feature in any "best SB" conversations haha.

It was plagued but genuinely terrible QB play, from both guys.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pats D did their job, aided in no small part by a total choke from the Rams. Not just the players on the field. The offensive play calling was some of the worst I've seen in a major game. Continually played right into the hands of the Pats defensive game plan.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 4, 2019, 7:06 pm Pats D did their job, aided in no small part by a total choke from the Rams. Not just the players on the field. The offensive play calling was some of the worst I've seen in a major game. Continually played right into the hands of the Pats defensive game plan.
I think there is a few plays the Rams will have nightmares about but the two plays to Cooks were massive

Firstly Goff missed Cooks WIDE open on a busted coverage... it's a walk in touchdown if he sees it earlier, he gets it so late it gives the Pats defender a chance to come from near the sidelines to race over and make a play on the ball. The Rams settled for a FG. 4 point play

And then again to Cooks where Goff throws the perfect ball, cant put it in the spot any better, and Cooks drops it, it's a touchdown if he hauls it in. Goff threw the INT i think on the very next play... 7 point swing

You just cant let those points go missing against the Pats. They are too good for thatI think McVey called a very poor game.

Not going for it on 4th and 3 inside pats territory was a play i immediately thought "Dougie P is going for the throat here, he's not playing for STs here" and McVey just didnt have the onions.