NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

I know the FOF game is just 2nds, 3rds and 4ths, esp that later 2, but man am I sick of the Boys depth looking so bad against equalivant opponents
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hah i tuned into it for about 6 minutes and then remembered how truly bad the pre season is but most particularly the HOF game
Still its a sign, football is close to being back
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 6, 2021, 12:46 pm Hah i tuned into it for about 6 minutes and then remembered how truly bad the pre season is but most particularly the HOF game
Still its a sign, football is close to being back
Esp when your league team is sucking, the hope is your nfl team will lift your spirits...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I used to get excited about pre-season games. Soon realised it an awful parody of proper NFL matches. Little more than opposed training sessions for the veterans. By the time you get to the 3rd Qtr its all guys who are battling to make the practice squad. I only have interest in watching my own team and thats purely to see the rookies perform.

They are good for betting though. Back the underdog every time. Odds are based on the quality of the starters and they're only around for the early parts.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i'll watch every snap of the eagles games just so i can start to form some opinions and thoughts on the rookies and 2nd year players.
But outside of that, it's highlights at best :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I forgot when it started. So only saw the last 4mins of the 1st half.
The 2nd half was pretty trashy on our end.
But I'm a sucker for punishment, so ill watch Boys preseason games
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I also find preseason gives a false impression of where your team sits for the upcoming season. They're worse than NRL trials in that respect.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 6, 2021, 2:32 pm I also find preseason gives a false impression of where your team sits for the upcoming season. They're worse than NRL trials in that respect.
Definitely
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Footy is back. Preseason has started for everyone now.

@Botman,
Looks like Pheagles are actually playing a 1st string 1st half
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah most of the first string offence and defence played 2 series
They looked pretty good i thought. Quez Watkins has been ripping up camp and that showed up here too. Should have two long tds

Hurts looked better with his passing, ball placement looked accurate and good. Couple of bad drops killed drives but the balls were on the money.
Defensively, the front 4 got pretty good pressure, not a lot to take from the new scheme as they played pretty vanilla zone coverage but the LB's look a little improved and Steve Nelson looks like a good late pick up.

Good first hit out.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Well...
A little more promise shown in this trial. Definitely trying some stuff.
1st string was barely seen. Most didn't play.
2nd string held their own.
3rd and 4th string scrubs were ok vs their opposites. Id say 1 or 2 of these guys, if any, make the 53.
Backup punter kicked well... yes, backup punter was goal kicking.
D actually got home,a lot. McCoy had to scramble a bit, so did their backups. That running QB though... arrgh! Someone tackle the SOB.
Still heaps of rookies in a steep learning curve, but I have some hope that we can be half decent this yr.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Patriots 35 defeat Eagles 0, week 2 preseason. From the Eagles perspective, burn the tape and move on, not much to be taken away from that performance.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: August 20, 2021, 12:24 pm Patriots 35 defeat Eagles 0, week 2 preseason. From the Eagles perspective, burn the tape and move on, not much to be taken away from that performance.
The only worth while thing to take out of it was

1. The LB's again showed they wont be an embarrassment this year... Will they be above average? No. Will they be bad? Sometimes. Embarassing? Not this year, they're at least NFL level players

2. Davonta Smith's route running translates. Dude got open on every route he ran. Very clean.

Other than that, yeah burn the tape
Pats running game is going to be legit good this year. Get yourselves a healthy share of Damien Harris in fantasy
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: August 20, 2021, 12:30 pm
the bone wrote: August 20, 2021, 12:24 pm Patriots 35 defeat Eagles 0, week 2 preseason. From the Eagles perspective, burn the tape and move on, not much to be taken away from that performance.
The only worth while thing to take out of it was

1. The LB's again showed they wont be an embarrassment this year... Will they be above average? No. Will they be bad? Sometimes. Embarassing? Not this year, they're at least NFL level players

2. Davonta Smith's route running translates. Dude got open on every route he ran. Very clean.

Other than that, yeah burn the tape
Pats running game is going to be legit good this year. Get yourselves a healthy share of Damien Harris in fantasy
Some things cannot be unseen.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Oh and the Pats kicker will be cut by the time I wake up tomorrow
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Well... im really only worried about our backup QB. Ours all suck.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

interesting stuff in the pre season this week
Granted it's pre season, it's all pre season... but ****, what is pre season worth is not to fire off hot takes and let them sizzle!!

Waddle injury is one to watch but his speed jumps off the page Tua is looking much improved for the Dolphins.
Zach Wilson had a bumper week, lots to be excited for there. Corey Davis too, former top 5 pick is poised to finally be THE guy imo
Najee Harris looks EXTREMELY legit.
The other young qbs still looking solid. Mac in particular seems ready to start week 1.
Ja'Marr Chase struggling, which i think is overblown, this is his first competitve football in 12 months
Pat Freiermuth looking VERY good. Patrick Surtain looks a ready made pro bowler
Joe Tryon's get off on the snap is serious. '
Drew Lock and Teddy B pushing each other to higher levels of play.
Denver's D is going to be pretty special this year imo.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 22, 2021, 8:18 pm interesting stuff in the pre season this week
Granted it's pre season, it's all pre season... but ****, what is pre season worth is not to fire off hot takes and let them sizzle!!

Waddle injury is one to watch but his speed jumps off the page Tua is looking much improved for the Dolphins.
Zach Wilson had a bumper week, lots to be excited for there. Corey Davis too, former top 5 pick is poised to finally be THE guy imo
Najee Harris looks EXTREMELY legit.
The other young qbs still looking solid. Mac in particular seems ready to start week 1.
Ja'Marr Chase struggling, which i think is overblown, this is his first competitve football in 12 months
Pat Freiermuth looking VERY good. Patrick Surtain looks a ready made pro bowler
Joe Tryon's get off on the snap is serious. '
Drew Lock and Teddy B pushing each other to higher levels of play.
Denver's D is going to be pretty special this year imo.
I haven't watched much this preseason, but what I've seen, I agree with you.
Cant wait for footy to really start. I wanna know what everyone really has
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Nothing makes me want the NFL season more than a **** Raiders NRL season'
4 months from now, after a trashy eagles season ill be begging for Raiders football
This is the cross i bear.

But yeah absolutely HURTING for the NFL season. I need some NFL football in my life.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 22, 2021, 9:06 pm Nothing makes me want the NFL season more than a **** Raiders NRL season'
4 months from now, after a trashy eagles season ill be begging for Raiders football
This is the cross i bear.

But yeah absolutely HURTING for the NFL season. I need some NFL football in my life.
I hear ya
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Best time of the year is fast approaching, Sep-Dec. Life is good
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: August 23, 2021, 4:45 am Best time of the year is fast approaching, Sep-Dec. Life is good
Can I have a team that's actually half decent this yr though?!? I'm sick of hating footy
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Who's up for FF comp this year? I haven't played one for an age. Keen to get back into it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 23, 2021, 6:22 pm Who's up for FF comp this year? I haven't played one for an age. Keen to get back into it.
Im already in about 10000 of them, but sure, im keen! :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I love my fantasy footy, but I take a break after NRL season.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: August 23, 2021, 7:47 pm I love my fantasy footy, but I take a break after NRL season.
Wait, you play play FF but choose to play NRL fantasy football over NFL?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: August 23, 2021, 6:22 pm Who's up for FF comp this year? I haven't played one for an age. Keen to get back into it.
Which platform are you thinking? I’m going to do nfl.com fantasy, so I’d be keen if you were up for that. But don’t think I could be bothered to do another one on a different platform
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: August 24, 2021, 12:46 am
Which platform are you thinking? I’m going to do nfl.com fantasy, so I’d be keen if you were up for that. But don’t think I could be bothered to do another one on a different platform
That's what i was thinking. Used that last time I played (about 50 years ago). You only need.to manage one team and play multiple comps.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 23, 2021, 8:10 pm
Matt wrote: August 23, 2021, 7:47 pm I love my fantasy footy, but I take a break after NRL season.
Wait, you play play FF but choose to play NRL fantasy football over NFL?
yeah, thats correct.
i went overboard a little a few years back, so i pick 1, and thats the 1.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:19 am
That's what i was thinking. Used that last time I played (about 50 years ago). You only need.to manage one team and play multiple comps.
pretty sure its all draft in NFL right?

i suppose i could be talked into it.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:19 am
Alright cool, I’m keen
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Looks like its all draft. Just have to work out a convenient time for people. Although I believe you can set your picks prior and let it run automated. 10 team comp with 60 secs each pick would be 10 mins per round. Makes the whole process 2-3 hours.

What are people's preferences on time?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2021, 9:57 am Looks like its all draft. Just have to work out a convenient time for people. Although I believe you can set your picks prior and let it run automated. 10 team comp with 60 secs each pick would be 10 mins per round. Makes the whole process 2-3 hours.

I’m the guy that lets auto draft do the work, and then complains how it **** me over, so no issue for me.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2021, 9:57 am Looks like its all draft. Just have to work out a convenient time for people. Although I believe you can set your picks prior and let it run automated. 10 team comp with 60 secs each pick would be 10 mins per round. Makes the whole process 2-3 hours.

Would need to be after 730pm for me, and not a Tuesday night.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

im good for whenever