NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

I know it happens every wk, but because of who it is I'm going to give him kudos.

Just saw the hit Mailata put on during the Reagor TD. That guy was buried!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 13, 2021, 4:09 pm I know it happens every wk, but because of who it is I'm going to give him kudos.

Haha yeah Mailata caught a a few bodies today
He was just lurching around the field hitting blocks and having a laugh
He such a freak athlete, to be that size, to have that power and move the way he does
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 13, 2021, 5:40 pm
Matt wrote: September 13, 2021, 4:09 pm I know it happens every wk, but because of who it is I'm going to give him kudos.

Haha yeah Mailata caught a a few bodies today
He was just lurching around the field hitting blocks and having a laugh
He such a freak athlete, to be that size, to have that power and move the way he does
The exponential growth in his game too. Crazy stuff. He is playing arguably the 2nd most important position in the game. That's phenomenonal.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL?s=20

Brian Baldinger, who's been a long time fan of Mailata, did a ton of film breakdown of the Eagles game. Mailata features heavily
i was susprised when the contract came in at 16m per year, seemed a bit high... but the fact he got that from them suggested to me that the Mailata camp were extremely confident in his level of play and more importantly, the Eagles were confidnet in it, and that can only come from OL coach Jeff Stoutland who's put a ton of work into the guy and is one of the very best in the business. (He came on board with Chip Kelly, and has survived as OL coach through 3 different coaching staffs, so that's how widely respected and appreciated he is)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 13, 2021, 7:31 pm https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL?s=20

Brian Baldinger, who's been a long time fan of Mailata, did a ton of film breakdown of the Eagles game. Mailata features heavily
i was susprised when the contract came in at 16m per year, seemed a bit high... but the fact he got that from them suggested to me that the Mailata camp were extremely confident in his level of play and more importantly, the Eagles were confidnet in it, and that can only come from OL coach Jeff Stoutland who's put a ton of work into the guy and is one of the very best in the business. (He came on board with Chip Kelly, and has survived as OL coach through 3 different coaching staffs, so that's how widely respected and appreciated he is)
It's awesome.
16mill is damn impressive for a guy who barely knew the spot existed 5-7yrs ago. And it's a super technical position
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ignoring the eagles, some other take aways for me today

- Kyle Pitts didnt quite live up to the hype today but i can tell you there were flashes there for sure. Think he's going to have a monster game in the next 2-3 weeks
- Real welcome to the NFL for the rookie QBs... this isnt pre season with vanilla zone defences. And Lawrence and Wilson were not really ready for it. They both made enough plays and showed enough that you wouldnt worry, but this is big boy football now fellas.
- Mac Jones was the most impressive rookie Qb, but even he had some shakey moments. Damien Harris is going to be a monster this year if he doesnt get in the dog house for the fumble.
- Miami looked very good, Jaylen Waddle's play making jumps off the screen. Tua looked much better. For the most part he got the ball out quickly, knew where to go and was a good "point guard" style QB.
- WFT lost Fitz and i think he could be out for a while. I would bet Cam might come in there. That front is pretty scary.
- The chargers look great and Justin Herbert regression talk is going to have to take the week off and chill. He was incredible today. Love watching him play.
- Regression talk can swift take their time talking Josh Allen though, he and the Bills looked ghastly. Not panic stations yet, but not the way you want to start a season.
- Steelers look like they'll have a dominant defence but Big Ben is absolutely cooked imo. I dont think they can go far with this team.
- Seattle dropped a hammer on the Colts, but i thought Wentz was the least of the Colts problems. He actually played pretty well imo. They need to shore up the OL though, Wentz will fall to pieces if they dont.
- Not at all sold on Darnold, his stat line is better than his play. McCaffrey however might be good enough to paper over the cracks and convince the panthers to stick with him. He's outrageous.
- Concerns about Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase can be put aside, both absolutely sliced and diced the Vikings. The Vikings are on my radar as a sneaky disaster team.
- As are the Titooons who were nothing short of pathetic, the Cards absolutely lit them up, Kyler on offence and Chandler Jones on defence. That NFC West is no joke.
- I dont think much of the Niners strange final 2-3 minutes. Classic case of them being so far ahead that everyone was checked out and a couple of very unfortunate errors and suddenly it was a one score game.
- The Fightin' Dan Campbells are going to keep teams honest this year, Goff actually played alright toward the end, but the still sucks. Talent will tell in the end with them. They'll be picking top 5.
- Tough loss for the browns, couldnt have played it better. Got the Chiefs on an off day, they had plenty of errors... didnt matter, they're too good. Mahomes is too good.
- This GB situation merits monitoring. Just one game but Rodgers absolutely gave up in this game. VERY curious to see how they come out next week.
- The saints looked great though, Jameis was outstanding. Defence dominated. Did whatever they wanted. Really fun to see Payten get back to his roots of having a hyper aggressive down field passing game, couldnt do that the last few years with Brees's arm having fallen off.
- Daniel Jones sucks and this Giants coaching staff is also, imo, not very good. They seem to love Joe Judge though so good luck to them.
- Denver will test teams. Teddy B wont make the killer mistakes, he'll get what's there, they have really good skill players and the defence looks elite this year.
- If Matt Nagy gives me a single more play of Andy Dalton, then he can **** off. I dont need it in my life, just let Justin Fields get in there and do his thing.
- Stafford and the Rams look scary but the bears low key moved the ball a bit on them, im holding my stock here until i see them play higher level of competition.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Nice Week 1 summary there. Better than most I read online. :lol:

I've only watched the Phins v Pats game. Will have a look at the 1 hour NFL highlights package later. Massive shock with Steelers win. Reckon Bills spent too long reading their own press going into the game. Dolphins have them next week so concerned we'll cop the backlash.

Mac Jones did better than I expected for Pats after a very shaky start. Threw some nice balls under pressure. His first TD should never have happened though. Horrendous roughing the passer call when he was sacked on 3rd down. Instead of 4th and 20 on the 35 it was 1st and Goal. Some very vile language emanated from my lips early in the morning. Hope the kids didn't hear. :opps
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i saw that RTP call on red zone... just ridiculous really
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:09 pm Ignoring the eagles, some other take aways for me today

- Kyle Pitts didnt quite live up to the hype today but i can tell you there were flashes there for sure. Think he's going to have a monster game in the next 2-3 weeks
- Real welcome to the NFL for the rookie QBs... this isnt pre season with vanilla zone defences. And Lawrence and Wilson were not really ready for it. They both made enough plays and showed enough that you wouldnt worry, but this is big boy football now fellas.
- Mac Jones was the most impressive rookie Qb, but even he had some shakey moments. Damien Harris is going to be a monster this year if he doesnt get in the dog house for the fumble.
- Miami looked very good, Jaylen Waddle's play making jumps off the screen. Tua looked much better. For the most part he got the ball out quickly, knew where to go and was a good "point guard" style QB.
- WFT lost Fitz and i think he could be out for a while. I would bet Cam might come in there. That front is pretty scary.
- The chargers look great and Justin Herbert regression talk is going to have to take the week off and chill. He was incredible today. Love watching him play.
- Regression talk can swift take their time talking Josh Allen though, he and the Bills looked ghastly. Not panic stations yet, but not the way you want to start a season.
- Steelers look like they'll have a dominant defence but Big Ben is absolutely cooked imo. I dont think they can go far with this team.
- Seattle dropped a hammer on the Colts, but i thought Wentz was the least of the Colts problems. He actually played pretty well imo. They need to shore up the OL though, Wentz will fall to pieces if they dont.
- Not at all sold on Darnold, his stat line is better than his play. McCaffrey however might be good enough to paper over the cracks and convince the panthers to stick with him. He's outrageous.
- Concerns about Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase can be put aside, both absolutely sliced and diced the Vikings. The Vikings are on my radar as a sneaky disaster team.
- As are the Titooons who were nothing short of pathetic, the Cards absolutely lit them up, Kyler on offence and Chandler Jones on defence. That NFC West is no joke.
- I dont think much of the Niners strange final 2-3 minutes. Classic case of them being so far ahead that everyone was checked out and a couple of very unfortunate errors and suddenly it was a one score game.
- The Fightin' Dan Campbells are going to keep teams honest this year, Goff actually played alright toward the end, but the still sucks. Talent will tell in the end with them. They'll be picking top 5.
- Tough loss for the browns, couldnt have played it better. Got the Chiefs on an off day, they had plenty of errors... didnt matter, they're too good. Mahomes is too good.
- This GB situation merits monitoring. Just one game but Rodgers absolutely gave up in this game. VERY curious to see how they come out next week.
- The saints looked great though, Jameis was outstanding. Defence dominated. Did whatever they wanted. Really fun to see Payten get back to his roots of having a hyper aggressive down field passing game, couldnt do that the last few years with Brees's arm having fallen off.
- Daniel Jones sucks and this Giants coaching staff is also, imo, not very good. They seem to love Joe Judge though so good luck to them.
- Denver will test teams. Teddy B wont make the killer mistakes, he'll get what's there, they have really good skill players and the defence looks elite this year.
- If Matt Nagy gives me a single more play of Andy Dalton, then he can **** off. I dont need it in my life, just let Justin Fields get in there and do his thing.
- Stafford and the Rams look scary but the bears low key moved the ball a bit on them, im holding my stock here until i see them play higher level of competition.
Jason Garrett has to be the worst OC in football. He was pressed upon Judge by ol’ loyal Mara, but he needs to go ASAP. It’s still too early to judge Judge (see what I did there), but for most of last year he got the most out of a bad squad. Yesterday was horrific though. One wonders if the defence spent too much time reading their own press.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Great summary Botman
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

God this Raiders era of NFL football makes me angry
It's just Gruden running the most boring mid 00's West Coast Offence, with some very boring vertical stuff mixed in, and a QB who is terrible at driving the ball down field.
The sooner either Gruden or Carr (so that'll be Carr) get the **** out of my NFL life, the better
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 14, 2021, 12:42 pm God this Raiders era of NFL football makes me angry
It's just Gruden running the most boring mid 00's West Coast Offence, with some very boring vertical stuff mixed in, and a QB who is terrible at driving the ball down field.
The sooner either Gruden or Carr (so that'll be Carr) get the **** out of my NFL life, the better
Waller can't catch.
Ruggs can't get open.
Both are an issue when your QB isn't that good. You have to catch the good throws or you get killed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Of course... now Ruggs gets open deep
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders win. WOW. Crazy game.......... or not
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

or maybe they do win... 2nd time lucky
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

How did they win? They couldn't move the ball for so much of that game.

Lamars mistakes the difference?
2 or 3 dropped INTs by Ravens DBs?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That game was very silly. Baltimore have some things to work on
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 14, 2021, 2:46 pm That game was very silly. Baltimore have some things to work on
Yup.
Being on their 4th RB starting game 1 didn't help. But he was good and got an early TD.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Botman wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:09 pm Ignoring the eagles, some other take aways for me today

Good read.

The Packers though? Bakhtiari to return but geez has any team been beaten by 35 and had a deep finals run?

And on the Raiders.Carr missed a couple of deep opportunities.
But how reliable is Hunter Renfrow.
Mr.3rd Down.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I was mostly happy with the Seahawks offence, much more variety in their plays that will give Wilson a lot more options. Maybe Carrollball is gone, I guess a few more games will tell.

As for defence, even Tre Flowers looked like he wasn’t going to be smoked every time the play went his way.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Fantasy wrap for QB Factory

Auto draft gave me:
Tannehill
McCaffrey
Kareem Hunt
Calvin Ridley
Julio Jones
Darren Waller
Marvin Jones
Zurlein
Bucs D

Bench
Hurts
Latavius Murray
Pollard
Waddle
Corey Davis
Roberts Woods

Prior to week 1:
I quickly panicked at my QB options, and when Cam was cut, I dropped Hurts and picked up Mac Jones.
I also promptly dropped Latavius Murray and picked up Sony Michel. This was before the Saints cut Murray (vindication!) and after the Rams traded for Michel.

Week 1 results
Big L for QB factory. Had some nice scores from Corey Davis, Kareem Hunt and Jayden Waddle; only problem, they were on my bench. Michel picked up a whole of 2 yards, so that, along with the inept performance of the Titans duo (Tannehill and Julio) screwed me.

Week 2 adjustments
Following Hurts nice performance against the Falcons my panic was redirected to thinking I made a grave mistake by dropping him. So this week I got him back and dropped Tannehill instead. And after Zurlein shanked a couple of kicks against the Bucs, I dropped him and replaced him with Gould from the 49ers.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: September 16, 2021, 8:28 am Fantasy wrap for QB Factory

Auto draft gave me:
Tannehill
McCaffrey
Kareem Hunt
Calvin Ridley
Julio Jones
Darren Waller
Marvin Jones
Zurlein
Bucs D

Bench
Hurts
Latavius Murray
Pollard
Waddle
Corey Davis
Roberts Woods

Prior to week 1:
I quickly panicked at my QB options, and when Cam was cut, I dropped Hurts and picked up Mac Jones.
I also promptly dropped Latavius Murray and picked up Sony Michel. This was before the Saints cut Murray (vindication!) and after the Rams traded for Michel.

Week 1 results
Big L for QB factory. Had some nice scores from Corey Davis, Kareem Hunt and Jayden Waddle; only problem, they were on my bench. Michel picked up a whole of 2 yards, so that, along with the inept performance of the Titans duo (Tannehill and Julio) screwed me.

Week 2 adjustments
Following Hurts nice performance against the Falcons my panic was redirected to thinking I made a grave mistake by dropping him. So this week I got him back and dropped Tannehill instead. And after Zurlein shanked a couple of kicks against the Bucs, I dropped him and replaced him with Gould from the 49ers.
Boney, thats a rough set of players. Too many #2 options for teams. Autodraft doing you no favors at all.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: September 16, 2021, 9:05 am
the bone wrote: September 16, 2021, 8:28 am Fantasy wrap for QB Factory

Auto draft gave me:
Tannehill
McCaffrey
Kareem Hunt
Calvin Ridley
Julio Jones
Darren Waller
Marvin Jones
Zurlein
Bucs D

Bench
Hurts
Latavius Murray
Pollard
Waddle
Corey Davis
Roberts Woods

Prior to week 1:

Week 1 results

Week 2 adjustments
Boney, thats a rough set of players. Too many #2 options for teams. Autodraft doing you no favors at all.
I should’ve added, I’m in a 10 team league, so that spreads the talent a bunch. It’s comparable to most other teams in my league, though there are a couple of a teams that look a little more stacked. I definitely would’ve prioritised getting a QB earlier, I would’ve like a better RB2, and I think Julio was drafted on reputation more than 2021 reality. But happy with Waller, as well as Ridley as my top WR. And of course can’t complain about CMC.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Great! No DLaw is out this wk. Foot injury. 6-8wks.... geez!
Collins has up to 5wk suspension - drugs. They are challenging it.
Gallup is a 3-5wks, ankle or calf, seeing differing reports.
Gregory on COVID protocols.

We are in deep trouble now. Our 2 gun pass rushers are out.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Damn, that’s savage news about DLaw
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: September 16, 2021, 9:18 am Damn, that’s savage news about DLaw
Mmmmmm...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think labelling Randy Gregory as a "gun pass rusher" is a bit over the top :lol:

But it's a tough start for the cowboys. That DL isn't particularly good, and it's certainly not deep. So Lawrence is a huge loss but losing a body like Gregory will hurt, even if he's not that good
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 16, 2021, 11:38 am I think labelling Randy Gregory as a "gun pass rusher" is a bit over the top :lol:

But it's a tough start for the cowboys. That DL isn't particularly good, and it's certainly not deep. So Lawrence is a huge loss but losing a body like Gregory will hurt, even if he's not that good
On field production say he is.... the issue has been his availability since being drafted.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He has 10.5 sacks in 39 games, Matt :lol:
Chandler Jones had half of that in 1
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:Great! No DLaw is out this wk. Foot injury. 6-8wks.... geez!
Collins has up to 5wk suspension - drugs. They are challenging it.
Gallup is a 3-5wks, ankle or calf, seeing differing reports.
Gregory on COVID protocols.

We are in deep trouble now. Our 2 gun pass rushers are out.
Time for the G men to rise to take the divi....

Nah who am I kidding.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Did I just read that Jay-Z is thinking of buying the Broncos?
Has he not watched the Simpsons??!?!!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Actually quite excited for the WAS-NYG game tomorrow

Really keen to get a good look at this giants team with Daniel Jones and co, but the main event for me... I want to see what Chase Young looks like in year 2. Could be a special player. He should get a chance to show case it against Daniel Jones and that line
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:58 pm Actually quite excited for the WAS-NYG game tomorrow

Really keen to get a good look at this giants team with Daniel Jones and co, but the main event for me... I want to see what Chase Young looks like in year 2. Could be a special player. He should get a chance to show case it against Daniel Jones and that line
And another look at how the G-Men broke Barkley
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Shakey start for Hienike. Nearly picked on the 1st play after throwing behind the reciever. Then a 16yd loss on the sack.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

That body weight roughing the passer rule has to be the worst rule in football