NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

Big shock for me is the NFL putting Andy Dalton on Sunday night football :lol:
I can’t see them starting with Fields week 1, especially now it’s a prime time game.
Just like the NRL, big markets like LA and Chicago get more exposure.
Also looks like the NFL want to show off their new stadiums again, with Sofi on SNF and the Death Star on MNF.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Full schedule released around 10am our time I believe.

The most interesting news is Blake Bortles signed by Packers. Looks like they are positioning themselves to be without Rodgers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 13, 2021, 9:23 am Full schedule released around 10am our time I believe.

The most interesting news is Blake Bortles signed by Packers. Looks like they are positioning themselves to be without Rodgers.
There is some interesting moves being made that make you wonder if he'll be there come week 1 2021...
Remarkable stuff
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: May 13, 2021, 10:05 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 13, 2021, 9:23 am Full schedule released around 10am our time I believe.

There is some interesting moves being made that make you wonder if he'll be there come week 1 2021...
Remarkable stuff
This one says he won't. Unless of course they plan to trade Jordan Love. That might be the only thing that gets Rodger back to the table for a contract extension.

Bortles obviously signed as a backup to either Love or Rodgers as insurance. One of those has to go though. Bortles has not been signed as a 3rd stringer to sit on the practice squad.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Start the yr vs the Champs... great!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Nothing puts a smile on my face quite like dem 'boys being thrown to the Bucs as the sacrificial lambs on opening night :D
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 13, 2021, 4:01 pm Nothing puts a smile on my face quite like dem 'boys being thrown to the Bucs as the sacrificial lambs on opening night :D
We even have a lamb to be sacrificed :lol:
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Just booked tickets for Panthers @ Giants on October 24th. **** pumped! Shame it’s still 5 months away.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: May 14, 2021, 5:49 am Just booked tickets for Panthers @ Giants on October 24th. **** pumped! Shame it’s still 5 months away.
Jealous
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Julio the Titan.
Interesting
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Love when a big name gets traded to an anti-climatic franchise
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I was REALLY hoping he'd land in KC
The Titans are a better team now but i dont think this vaults them into real SB contention
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Raiders DE Carl Nassib becomes the first active NFL player to come out as gay
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: June 22, 2021, 8:45 am Raiders DE Carl Nassib becomes the first active NFL player to come out as gay
I actually really like Nassib as a player too, he hasnt quite kicked on as the player i thought he'd be
He cant seem to find reliable snaps, but he has great size and i think he'd a good rotational pass rusher if he got more snaps

Good for him coming out. Hope to see more of it in pro sports
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: June 22, 2021, 11:00 am
the bone wrote: June 22, 2021, 8:45 am Raiders DE Carl Nassib becomes the first active NFL player to come out as gay
I actually really like Nassib as a player too, he hasnt quite kicked on as the player i thought he'd be
He cant seem to find reliable snaps, but he has great size and i think he'd a good rotational pass rusher if he got more snaps

Good for him coming out. Hope to see more of it in pro sports
Its a huge thing in the NFL. I know we had the almost non event with Sam, but this guy can play. Im sure there are more out there. Hope they feel more comfortable coming out publicly now.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Botman,
Mailata to be a $100mill man.

Thats pretty cool for an Aussie who barely knew the game existed 10yrs ago.

I guess it's proof that, a physical specimen with a bit between the ears can be whatever they want.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wow. Have they locked him in as a starter? No way they pay that kind of money for a backup. That would also put him in the top tier of LTs. Surely not.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 22, 2021, 10:41 am Wow. Have they locked him in as a starter? No way they pay that kind of money for a backup. That would also put him in the top tier of LTs. Surely not.
The news.com.au article I read:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/american- ... dbc5792709

It's really a "if he wins a starting gig" it's worth that
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

A report came out today saying Oklahoma and Texas have had discussions about joining the SEC. The SEC would be insanely good if that were to happen, and the Big12 would be relegated to a group of 5 equivalent.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: July 22, 2021, 10:42 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 22, 2021, 10:41 am Wow. Have they locked him in as a starter? No way they pay that kind of money for a backup. That would also put him in the top tier of LTs. Surely not.
The news.com.au article I read:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/american- ... dbc5792709

It's really a "if he wins a starting gig" it's worth that
Geez, talk about drawing a long bow. Some real journalistic licence at play there. I was going to point out all the questionable statements then realised I'd be commenting on every third sentence.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: July 22, 2021, 10:01 am @Botman,

I guess it's proof that, a physical specimen with a bit between the ears can be whatever they want.
Its one of the really interesting camp battles to go on this year.
Dillard vs Mailata

Word is the Eagles arent real happy with Dillard's mentality. They dont think he plays tough.
I think they want Mailata to win that job.
If he does win the job and plays well this year, they'll definitely ink him long term... lot of IFs there. He's gotta win the job and then make another big jump. He's got the ability though. He's show incredible growth in the past 2 years
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: July 22, 2021, 12:32 pm A report came out today saying Oklahoma and Texas have had discussions about joining the SEC. The SEC would be insanely good if that were to happen, and the Big12 would be relegated to a group of 5 equivalent.
the changes going on in college sports with NAL and opening up legal ways to pay college athletes and how it impacts college football has the potential to be profound in how it remakes football, and politics really.

these colleges and their supporters are a huge constituency... areas that a typically against this kind of thing, the bible belt and the strong republican sentiment there have never supported paying players, but there aren't going to stand on principle if it means their favourite SEC team are going to be behind by colleges in liberal states that allow player payments and get a leg up on recruiting...

Colleges like Oklahoma and Texas leaving the **** B12 and moving to get involved in the SEC to help boost their profile and their revenue streams is going to start happening more
I think there is a good chance in 20 years time, if the college system even still exists in anything like it's current format, it will be the big players all forming 2-3 super conferences
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 22, 2021, 2:10 pm

Dillard vs Mailata

Word is the Eagles arent real happy with Dillard's mentality. They dont think he plays tough.
If he does win the job and plays well this year, they'll definitely ink him long term... lot of IFs there. He's gotta win the job and then make another big jump. He's got the ability though. He's show incredible growth in the past 2 years
According to the Aussie journo, winning the starting job automatically puts his contract value up with the elite players in that position.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Matt wrote:@Botman,

In that case, what are you waiting for Bot? Go and chase your dream!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 22, 2021, 2:44 pm

Dillard vs Mailata

According to the Aussie journo, winning the starting job automatically puts his contract value up with the elite players in that position.
Yes, you're right, he's going to have to do more than win a job to get elite money
What i suspect will happen is if he wins the job, Howie Roseman will quickly put together a deal that inks him long term on a very spicy 12-15m a year, probably with only 1-2 years worth of gtd money on the deal... but in reality that's going to look something like 4 years, 60mil with 15m in his bank account that day on a signing bonus... hard for a kid with his story to pass that up and risk injury given the spectre of the franchise tag.

If he continues to develop and is elite, he'll see every cent of that deal and probably more if not he'd be 28-29 next time he's renegotiating and ready to cash in again
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 22, 2021, 2:57 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 22, 2021, 2:44 pm

Dillard vs Mailata

Yes, you're right, he's going to have to do more than win a job to get elite money
What i suspect will happen is if he wins the job, Howie Roseman will quickly put together a deal that inks him long term on a very spicy 12-15m a year, probably with only 1-2 years worth of gtd money on the deal... but in reality that's going to look something like 4 years, 60mil with 15m in his bank account that day on a signing bonus... hard for a kid with his story to pass that up and risk injury given the spectre of the franchise tag.

If he continues to develop and is elite, he'll see every cent of that deal and probably more if not he'd be 28-29 next time he's renegotiating and ready to cash in again
If he's starting this year it will be a good case of try before you buy for the Pheagles. They can determine his worth once they see his production over multiple weeks. From there it's a case of valuing his upside. $60m over 4 years would still put him in the top 3rd in that position. Once you factor in likely improvement and expected cap increases he might look like a bargain at the back end of the deal. Conversely if he appears to be hitting his ceiling then the deal would be shorter and lower value.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Howie typically doesnt do things that way with young players. He likes to leverage the risk of injury into getting them to sign early deals that are a little team friendly. But the last such deal he did like that was Wentz, which didnt pan out for us the way we'd like haha

It'll be interesting. I'm cheering for Mailata to win the job, i think he's got a real chance to be a top 5-10 LT in the league. He's a legit NFL tackle and is still incredibly raw and trying to learn the game... another 1-2 years of experience and he could be a legit star. He could also never figure it out and just be a middling NFL tackle... which isnt the worst thing, you can play 10 years in the league as a starter on a bad team, or swing tackle on a good team and earn 50mil+ over the course of your career. A little Riley Reiff sort of career (minus the big money on his first rookie deal)

He's probably already shown enough to get work every year for the next 4-5 years for a couple of mil a year as a back up, which is pretty tasty given he'll earn more doing that than the best player in the world in his previous code
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: July 22, 2021, 2:22 pm
the bone wrote: July 22, 2021, 12:32 pm A report came out today saying Oklahoma and Texas have had discussions about joining the SEC. The SEC would be insanely good if that were to happen, and the Big12 would be relegated to a group of 5 equivalent.
the changes going on in college sports with NAL and opening up legal ways to pay college athletes and how it impacts college football has the potential to be profound in how it remakes football, and politics really.

these colleges and their supporters are a huge constituency... areas that a typically against this kind of thing, the bible belt and the strong republican sentiment there have never supported paying players, but there aren't going to stand on principle if it means their favourite SEC team are going to be behind by colleges in liberal states that allow player payments and get a leg up on recruiting...

Colleges like Oklahoma and Texas leaving the **** B12 and moving to get involved in the SEC to help boost their profile and their revenue streams is going to start happening more
I think there is a good chance in 20 years time, if the college system even still exists in anything like it's current format, it will be the big players all forming 2-3 super conferences
Yep 100%. I think it ends up with the SEC and Big10 being the super conferences, with Pac12 and ACC the next rung down. Big 12 will pull in some of the better Group of 5 teams but without Oklahoma and Texas that conference loses a lot of its luster
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cowboys gambling on another previously busted Saftey.
Malik Hooker has signed.
Haven't seen the deal, but I'm guessing that because we baulked the 1st time, we got a better deal this time.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Liked Hooker coming out... very good player when healthy. Is also never healthy
Wonder if Dallas will get involved in the X.Howard situation
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 28, 2021, 11:20 am Liked Hooker coming out... very good player when healthy. Is also never healthy
Wonder if Dallas will get involved in the X.Howard situation
I have seen speculation, but $$$$ could be an issue
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

So what are you guys giving me for X?

As much as I'd hate the Phins to lose an elite Corner he's clearly putting himself well before the team. He signed a long term deal 2 years ago which was heavily front loaded. Now he's coming of a real breakout season he's holding out for more money. Not like he doesn't deserve it but it sets a bad precedent to set if they let a player hold the team to ransom like this. He was happy to pocket the cash before he delivered. Now that he he's done that he wants more.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don’t think you’d move him for less than a first
Maybe the phins sweeten the pot by giving back a day 3 or something
But a guy like Howard… that’s a first
Matt
Don Furner