From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

The Slater thing is interesting

A lot of media draftniks are putting him over Sewell, especially those with some ears in nfl buildings
Be interesting to see if that momentum sustains or the narrative slips back to Sewell
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Watson wants to be a Jet apparently
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Texans trading Deshaun Watson is something I need to see before I believe. My guess is they hire Bienemy and this storm blows over.

Lions and Stafford agree to part ways. That’s a blow for the Panthers; the team immediately ahead of them in the draft are now looking for a QB also.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I tend to agree on Watson, but this league continues to shock me... So something absolutely CRAZY happening isnt out of the question... but ill continue to think he'll be a Texan at least for this coming season

in a few years from now, if this round of hires at GM and HC hasnt panned out and the team is bad, and the dead money on the contract is more management... maybe. But im going to have to see it to believe in 2021 as well
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I don’t know who’s squandered more potential Super Bowls over the last 10 years: Saints or Packers
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: January 25, 2021, 7:48 am I don’t know who’s squandered more potential Super Bowls over the last 10 years: Saints or Packers
Boy that's a tight call isnt it?
They just piss down their legs at every chance they get
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2021, 8:02 am
the bone wrote: January 25, 2021, 7:48 am I don’t know who’s squandered more potential Super Bowls over the last 10 years: Saints or Packers
:lol: That is the perfect way of putting it
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

1st ever home team SB.
And its Bradys Buccs
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: January 25, 2021, 8:06 am
Botman wrote: January 25, 2021, 8:02 am
:lol: That is the perfect way of putting it
Golden.... 🤣
Way of putting it
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Bucs win. Packers another season of what ifs.

Curious call to go for the field goal when 4th and goal. Of they had a crack at the TD and missed the Bucs. Would have been starting their drive inside their own 10. Defesne had to make a stop either way.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

God that was a terrible ending to a great game

To be perfectly clear, the packers lost this game on LeFluer kicking the FG instead of going for it, and the fact the Packers offence put up 6 points on the back of 3 ints

BUUUUTT... you absolutely can not let the Bucs CB's mug the packers all game, and then throw that flag for PI. Even if it was PI, you havent called clear and obvious PI's all game, you cant officiate a game a certain way for 59 minutes, and then officiate is differently in the 60th
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 25, 2021, 9:20 am God that was a terrible ending to a great game

To be perfectly clear, the packers lost this game on LeFluer kicking the FG instead of going for it, and the fact the Packers offence put up 6 points on the back of 3 ints

BUUUUTT... you absolutely can not let the Bucs CB's mug the packers all game, and then throw that flag for PI. Even if it was PI, you havent called clear and obvious PI's all game, you cant officiate a game a certain way for 59 minutes, and then officiate is differently in the 60th
Technically it was Defensive Holding so they even got it wrong on that count. Still a 1st down so result the same.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 25, 2021, 9:20 am Bucs win. Packers another season of what ifs.

Curious call to go for the field goal when 4th and goal. Of they had a crack at the TD and missed the Bucs. Would have been starting their drive inside their own 10. Defesne had to make a stop either way.
Its indefensible
You kick the FG only if you've got a lot of confidence in your D... and if thats how much confidence you've got in them, then you absolutely go for it believing if you dont get it, you've got the backed up on their own goal line and you should get the ball back in better field position

The only reason you kick the FG is the best reason to go for it
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2021, 9:20 am God that was a terrible ending to a great game

Horrendous officiating. Not that particular call, but the rest of the game. Classic example of referees not wanting to influence the game and so they put their whistles (flags) away. The irony is that in doing this, they are actually having a much bigger influence on the outcome of the game than if they just refereed like they usually do.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Over the last 6 seasons, the NFC South has sent the Panthers, Falcons and Buccaneers to the Super Bowl. The irony is that the Saints have mostly dominated the division in that time span.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Chiefs starting to pull away here.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Urgh, Tampa vs Chiefs is the one matchup I didn’t want
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Toviii wrote: January 25, 2021, 11:54 am Urgh, Tampa vs Chiefs is the one matchup I didn’t want
For me it’s preferable to Tampa Bay vs Buffalo. Watching the Bills lose another Super Bowl (they lost 4 straight in the 90s) whilst Brady collects ring #7 would be unimaginably awful.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Agreed... I think KC is going to put that Bucs D, which dont always play disciplined football, in chaos situations
This is the type of game where if you're a gambler and you like the Bucs, of course Brady as MVP will be a read hot favourite, but sprinkle some money on Bucs D players you think might have huge games... if they win, it will have to be heavily predicated on the Bucs D dominated and getting turns overs
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: January 25, 2021, 12:20 pm
Toviii wrote: January 25, 2021, 11:54 am Urgh, Tampa vs Chiefs is the one matchup I didn’t want
For me it’s preferable to Tampa Bay vs Buffalo. Watching the Bills lose another Super Bowl (they lost 4 straight in the 90s) whilst Brady collects ring #7 would be unimaginably awful.
Fair call
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The FG was sooooooooo dumb.

Romo said as much too.
I agree, you either let them play, or call them all. I hate it when the inconsistent call costs games.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I have to say, I like the idea of the GOAT vs The Heir apparent, in a SB. Old skool vs New skool.

Story lines will write themselves.

I expect Cheifs to destroy them TBH
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Must say that I didn't expect Rodgers to not get his team into the bowl, but they've certainly got history. Mind blowing to think Eli has more rings than him.

Not sure who to barrack for as I really like both HC's. Not a huge Brady fan but it's pretty bloody impressive to take his new team this far.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im going to say this and im not being prision of the moment. I truly feel this way

Mahomes is the best player in the history of the sport.
Now Brady is the GOAT because to be that is to be the most accomplished player... but straight up and down as players, it's not even close. Not close. Mahomes is better in every aspect of QB play.

Mahomes has played at a level in his first three years as a starter that is higher than anyone i've ever seen play. Higher than Brady, higher than Rodgers, higher than Manning... He's the best ive ever seen
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'll be rooting for KC. Been the best team all year and fitting the are crowned the champs. Still I won't be emotionally invested in the outcome.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ill be happy for BA if the Bucs win.
I love that guy and how he carries himself as a coach, his willingness to not only talk the talk on minority hires but walk the walk. His offensive approach is WILDLY fun. No risk-it, no buscuit... So that'd be cool.

But i just **** love Mahomes and Andy Reid. An iconic duo with a chance to not only challenge the Brady-Belichick duo as the best in the sports history but eclipse it

In 3 years as the starter, they've got an MVP in which they only didnt go to the SB because of the OT rules, SB win and MVP, and now back to the SB... and there is exactly ZERO reason to believe it's coming to an end anytime soon

If Mahomes and the Chiefs win this SB, and i think they will, we're looking at a guy, who will be odds on favourite to have 3 rings, be 3/3 in SB's, probably 2 if not 3 MVP in the big game and league MVPs and he'll be 26
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2021, 6:39 pm Im going to say this and im not being prision of the moment. I truly feel this way

Mahomes is the best player in the history of the sport.
Now Brady is the GOAT because to be that is to be the most accomplished player... but straight up and down as players, it's not even close. Not close. Mahomes is better in every aspect of QB play.

Mahomes has played at a level in his first three years as a starter that is higher than anyone i've ever seen play. Higher than Brady, higher than Rodgers, higher than Manning... He's the best ive ever seen
Is that a product of the modern game/ modern athlete though? More is asked of the modern QB?

Manning and Bradys generation was asked to be a pocket passer, no more,no less.

ARod saw the evolution of runners like Vick, but knew passing was still the #1 focus.

Now running QBs are a norm. Most have to learn to stay in the pocket and throw. Allen is a good example of getting much better in the pocket, but dynamite with his legs.

Id certainly argue Mahomes has taken ARods approach to a new level, with better execution. However, TBF, to ARod, Mahomes has had far far better weapons. I won't argue against Mahomes is the best ever QB, coz u can see it.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

It would’ve been cool to have Super Bowl LV in Las Vegas. Missed opportunity.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Eagles have rounded out their staff a little bit
Gannon and Steichen coming in as coordinators, my top two picks when Sirianni was signed.
Kevin Patullo coming as pass game coordinator.
Tracy Rucker, a long time college DL coach coming in to the role with philly, that's

So the top of the coaching tree is Sirianni, Steichen, Gannon, Rucker, Stoutland and Patullo
Really like that staff, it's mostly young an inexperienced so expecting some teething problems early but i think it's a very high ceiling staff (and to be perfectly frank, it's a low floor too, these guys might be completely in over their skiis). Gannon reportedly had multiple DC jobs on offer, so to get him is huge.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I don’t know much about any of those coaches but I did see that Shane Steichen was the Chargers OC, so that’s an exciting hire given how well Justin Herbert played in his rookie year.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 23, 2021, 2:50 pm The Slater thing is interesting

A lot of media draftniks are putting him over Sewell, especially those with some ears in nfl buildings
Be interesting to see if that momentum sustains or the narrative slips back to Sewell
As some who could potentially be in the LT market, I like this. 'Boys draft boffen's like him, but still think Sewell is the #1 guy.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: January 26, 2021, 8:28 am I don’t know much about any of those coaches but I did see that Shane Steichen was the Chargers OC, so that’s an exciting hire given how well Justin Herbert played in his rookie year.
If this staff can’t fix wentz
Then we’ll know for sure that come 2022, it’s time to move on
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 26, 2021, 5:37 pm

As some who could potentially be in the LT market, I like this. 'Boys draft boffen's like him, but still think Sewell is the #1 guy.
Would highly recommend the Locked on NFL draft podcast with Trevor Sikkema and my boi Benjamin Solak

It’s the best draft coverage pod out there
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: January 26, 2021, 6:32 pm

Would highly recommend the Locked on NFL draft podcast with Trevor Sikkema and my boi Benjamin Solak

I’ll give it a crack. Stick to football was an excellent draft podcast but the main dude Matt Miller is leaving Bleacher Report so that podcast is no more.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 26, 2021, 6:32 pm

Cheers, I'll give it a listen