NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

Eagles were 0 for 9 on 3rd down against the Giants defence; horrific stuff. Tough schedule coming up - Browns, Seahawks, Packers, Saints and Cardinals, followed by two softies in Cowboys and Washington.

6-1-9 should do be enough for them to win the division. None of the other teams will get to 7-9.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Kyler Murray throws a Hail Mary to Hopkins for the game winner. Unbelievable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

the bone wrote: November 16, 2020, 10:32 am Kyler Murray throws a Hail Mary to Hopkins for the game winner. Unbelievable.
They called it "Murray magic". Reckon Hopkins deserves most credit for making the grab in the middle of 3 DBs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: November 16, 2020, 9:41 am Eagles were 0 for 9 on 3rd down against the Giants defence; horrific stuff. Tough schedule coming up - Browns, Seahawks, Packers, Saints and Cardinals, followed by two softies in Cowboys and Washington.

6-1-9 should do be enough for them to win the division. None of the other teams will get to 7-9.
Given the way the Eagles are going, not sure Cowboys are easy beats. I mean, they nearly lost to Cowboys QB#3 in the 1st meeting, and TBH, they probably should have. Both teams had massive injury issues, so it was a close matchup then, not sure it will be much different 2nd time around.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 16, 2020, 11:09 am
the bone wrote: November 16, 2020, 10:32 am Kyler Murray throws a Hail Mary to Hopkins for the game winner. Unbelievable.
They called it "Murray magic". Reckon Hopkins deserves most credit for making the grab in the middle of 3 DBs.
agreed
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: November 16, 2020, 11:10 am
the bone wrote: November 16, 2020, 9:41 am Eagles were 0 for 9 on 3rd down against the Giants defence; horrific stuff. Tough schedule coming up - Browns, Seahawks, Packers, Saints and Cardinals, followed by two softies in Cowboys and Washington.

Given the way the Eagles are going, not sure Cowboys are easy beats. I mean, they nearly lost to Cowboys QB#3 in the 1st meeting, and TBH, they probably should have. Both teams had massive injury issues, so it was a close matchup then, not sure it will be much different 2nd time around.
Fair comment based on actual play. I’m assuming Eagles get their act together and start playing to their potential. If they do that, a Dak-less Cowboys will be no match for them IMO.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: November 16, 2020, 11:11 am
agreed
Yeah I agree too. It was a nice scramble and throw from Kyler, but ultimately it was a 3-on-1 jump ball and Nuk made the play.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: November 16, 2020, 11:49 am

Fair comment based on actual play. I’m assuming Eagles get their act together and start playing to their potential. If they do that, a Dak-less Cowboys will be no match for them IMO.
Thats probably a fair comment too. But as others keep saying, the Red Rifle is the best backup going around
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Right now the NFC East is a total garbage division. It will be won by the least **** team and that's probably the Pheagles.

This is the problem with the divisional structure. A 6-10 team is going to make the playoffs while a 10-6 team misses out.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: November 16, 2020, 11:51 am
agreed
Yeah I agree too. It was a nice scramble and throw from Kyler, but ultimately it was a 3-on-1 jump ball and Nuk made the play.
This pic shows what Hopkins had to contend with to make the grab.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

What a play by Murray and Hopkins
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: November 16, 2020, 12:42 pm

Thats probably a fair comment too. But as others keep saying, the Red Rifle is the best backup going around
The eagles act is together... this is who they are in 2020. And it's not good. No game is a gimme for a 3 win team. They could lose any game any week. They suck
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 16, 2020, 1:21 pm
the bone wrote: November 16, 2020, 11:51 am
agreed
This pic shows what Hopkins had to contend with to make the grab.

Thats Hopkins and a whole lot of luck
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is 3 bills defenders there, and all palms open looking for an INT...

27 - Tre White. He's the only guy playing the right play here. He's got front position and could conceivable take an int.
The two safeties #21 Poyer and #23 Hyde should both be playing that ball with close fists aiming to knock it away

So you should have two guys attempting the spoil the ball, and likely one of them makes enough contact with closed fists to knock it off it's trajectory and away from Hops hands... if they both clean miss, then you have a guy in position who can make an INT... if they miss and Hop outleaps White and snatches it for the TD, that's bad luck.

Having all 3 guys attempting to attack the football with open hands looking for an INT? That's bad technique
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

As you said, #27 Tre White, has played it near perfectly, but DHop has an inch and a half to 2 inches on him in height, and thats the difference in the pic.

Lets face it, DHop has out jumped #21, Poyer, he is no hope. He should either have a fist up, or be watching DHops hands to go straight at the ball as it arrives.

#23 Hyde is in awful position, behind the play, but again, the hands need to be between DHops, OR, needs to be grabbing an arm/ swiping at his arm so as to stop a clean catch.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Enough talk about the **** nfc east
NR’s dolphins are really set up nicely for the future
Tua looks absolutely legit, and the Texans are tanking them into another top 5 pick

I’ll be curious to see what they do with that pick... they’ll probably not do this because the value is probably in other positions but man it would be tempting to give Tua Ja’Marr Chase and just be an explosive dominant offence
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 17, 2020, 7:48 am Enough talk about the **** nfc east
Tua looks absolutely legit, and the Texans are tanking them into another top 5 pick

I’ll be curious to see what they do with that pick... they’ll probably not do this because the value is probably in other positions but man it would be tempting to give Tua Ja’Marr Chase and just be an explosive dominant offence
Im sure you are the same, but Im just infuriated by the roster the Cowboys have vs the output - yes, both are really injury crueled yrs, but still.

I hope we end up with a top 5 pick, coz at this point thats probably the best result, but i suspect the NFC East will trade a few victories and we might find ourselves closer to 10, maybe 7-8. I have no idea about the draft for next yr, but at top 5, Id be taking the stud D Lineman, Chase Young type, or if their is a Okudah equivalent DB, him. If their isnt, trade back, look to get a later 1 with a 2 kicker, and +++ should people covert someone.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Bears absolutely need to get in the tank and get a new QB. Probably time for a new GM and Coach to make that pick too.
Just a disastrous football team
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 17, 2020, 2:14 pm The Bears absolutely need to get in the tank and get a new QB. Probably time for a new GM and Coach to make that pick too.
Just a disastrous football team
Indeed
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: November 17, 2020, 7:48 am Enough talk about the **** nfc east

Very happy where the Phins are at. Tua starting earlier than I expected but looks like it's for the better. I don’t think his ability was ever in question. Durability has been the issue so let's wait and see if he can remain intact.

Also enjoying the Texans stink it up. Converting those picks into a tip 5 in 1st and 2nd round would be a dream. How they use them is yet to be determined. Early thoughts are a playmaker in the edge. Possibly WR too. Needs at RB and Centre can be addressed later.

All up things are positive to turn us into a contender again. Been a while.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I was listening to a pod earlier today with Robert Mays and Nate Tice and they asked the question, which of the AFC East teams would you bet on to win the most division titles in the next 5 years, and i think its a really interesting question

The bills are more complete right now and Josh Allen whilst maddening is developing pretty nicely... but Nate Tice was bullish on the Dolphons and i agree with him. I think the coach is really good, i think the QB is really good (if he can avoid injury) and they've got some really good assets to continue to build to compliment the team. Their secondary and defence is generally pretty solid, i agree that a real edge presence is missing and that's what i think they'll try and do with the texans pick, though Penei Sewell who's one of the best LT prospects in years would be impossible to pass up, RB's and C's are able to be found in the Day 2-3 phases of the draft

They've also got plenty of cap room, so someone like Alan Robinson could be a massive get in FA.
I think the Phins are the most interesting team in the NFL right now. They've got a lot of options to help take them to the next level

Robinson in FA, Sewell with the texans pick and come back and get a defensive play maker in the front seven with their own pick in the early to mid 20's would be quite a start

Edit: though Tua being a lefty does somewhat negate the need for a stud at LT.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 17, 2020, 6:39 pm I was listening to a pod earlier today with Robert Mays and Nate Tice and they asked the question, which of the AFC East teams would you bet on to win the most division titles in the next 5 years, and i think its a really interesting question

The bills are more complete right now and Josh Allen whilst maddening is developing pretty nicely... but Nate Tice was bullish on the Dolphons and i agree with him. I think the coach is really good, i think the QB is really good (if he can avoid injury) and they've got some really good assets to continue to build to compliment the team. Their secondary and defence is generally pretty solid, i agree that a real edge presence is missing and that's what i think they'll try and do with the texans pick, though Penei Sewell who's one of the best LT prospects in years would be impossible to pass up, RB's and C's are able to be found in the Day 2-3 phases of the draft

They've also got plenty of cap room, so someone like Alan Robinson could be a massive get in FA.
I think the Phins are the most interesting team in the NFL right now. They've got a lot of options to help take them to the next level

Robinson in FA, Sewell with the texans pick and come back and get a defensive play maker in the front seven with their own pick in the early to mid 20's would be quite a start

LT vs RT, same difference... kinda
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 17, 2020, 7:40 pm
Botman wrote: November 17, 2020, 6:39 pm I was listening to a pod earlier today with Robert Mays and Nate Tice and they asked the question, which of the AFC East teams would you bet on to win the most division titles in the next 5 years, and i think its a really interesting question

It's a lot like left centre or right centre in the NRL. For some players it doesn't matter. For others they're more effective one side than the other.

Agree with Botman's analysis. AFC East is at a very interesting stage right now with both Bills and Phins on the rise. I don’t think Patriots are done yet either. Of all though the Phins have they biggest upside. A lot of this year's rookies were development picks so have every chance to improve in 2021 and beyond. Add to that the swag of picks next draft and the cap room along with a coach who's getting the best out of his cattle. The pieces are all there.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 17, 2020, 8:00 pm
Matt wrote: November 17, 2020, 7:40 pm

It's a lot like left centre or right centre in the NRL. For some players it doesn't matter. For others they're more effective one side than the other.

Agree with Botman's analysis. AFC East is at a very interesting stage right now with both Bills and Phins on the rise. I don’t think Patriots are done yet either. Of all though the Phins have they biggest upside. A lot of this year's rookies were development picks so have every chance to improve in 2021 and beyond. Add to that the swag of picks next draft and the cap room along with a coach who's getting the best out of his cattle. The pieces are all there.
Ive seen a couple of mock drafts with 'Boys taking Sewell, as Smiths long term replacement, and a couple with us taking Patrick Surtain II, CB outta 'Bama - former teammate of Diggs, and has replaced him as their #1 DB.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mock drafts are questionable value at the best of times. Mock drafts in November are as useful as nipples on men.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 18, 2020, 3:30 pm Mock drafts are questionable value at the best of times. Mock drafts in November are as useful as nipples on men.
:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The good, the bad and the ugly...

Good:
Seattle vs Cards. 28-21. Wilson vs Murray. Quality game.
Titoons vs Ravens. OT win Tits. Henry a "poultry" 133 rushing. Dez is back in the NFL. Tight stuff.
Texans vs Pats. Some QB numbers in this one. Cam 365 and 1, vs Watto 344 and 2. Not much running from either. Decent contest.
GB vs Colts* - Still going, but Colts just went ahead in a quality fight back. 8mins left.

Bad:
Browns beat up on Wentz, but only win 22-17 in the rain.
Jets vs Chargers... its 2 bad teams not playing much D. At least they both suck, so its a game, hence the upgrade from 'ugly'.
Phins are 1min from a loss to the Broncos.... oh dear thats bad.
Cowboys vs Vikings*, 6mins to go, Cowboys D has gone missing in the 2nd half, but esp the 4th. They looked good in the 1st half, and led, now down by 4.

Ugly:
Lion shutout by Panthers... Has Patricia been sacked yet?
Burrows knee... ooph. Bengals record, ouch. The Washington football team are half a game from leading the NFC East. All kinds of U-G-L-Y!
Falcons are a bad bad team. Saints do it easy.
Jags are even worse. They were promising not that long ago, now... well... they're not. Pittsburg are a Juggernaut in 2020-21!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

97secs from victory...
Why do I have ZERO faith?!?!?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

yaaaaaay! NFC East continues to be a tight shiite fight
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The Lions were an absolute shambles. One of the most inept performances I’ve seen in a long while. A 20-point shutout loss to the 2020 Panthers without Teddy (PJ Walker made his first career start)... that’s a terrible look. Patricia better have them much more prepared for their prime time thanksgiving game... otherwise he’ll be out the door and back home in time for the turkey.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: November 23, 2020, 10:31 am yaaaaaay! NFC East continues to be a tight shiite fight
Washington, Giants and Dallas all within half a game of getting my bum **** team the **** out of the play off picture.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 23, 2020, 1:52 pm
Matt wrote: November 23, 2020, 10:31 am yaaaaaay! NFC East continues to be a tight shiite fight
Washington, Giants and Dallas all within half a game of getting my bum **** team the **** out of the play off picture.
Going to be interesting to see who 'falls into the playoffs'
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: November 23, 2020, 2:28 pm
Botman wrote: November 23, 2020, 1:52 pm
Going to be interesting to see who 'falls into the playoffs'
The eagles have your stupid **** cowboys and the WFT to come on the schedule as the only legitimate winable games... at best, its 5-10-1 and then i just need someone to get to 6 wins.

(but probably they split that somehow and end up at 4-11-1...hopefully blow them both and stick right the **** here at 3-12-1)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Nobody is winning the east. When Goodell calls for the East's nominated team one of the poor bastards is not going to step back quick enough. Which team that is nobody knows but it deserves to be either of the two worst teams in the division (Giants/Washington). It would be a total Giants thing to do, to not only making the yoffs but to actually win a playoff game out of nowhere and take down an 11 and 5 team that actually deserves to be there.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: November 23, 2020, 9:17 pm Nobody is winning the east. When Goodell calls for the East's nominated team one of the poor bastards is not going to step back quick enough. Which team that is nobody knows but it deserves to be either of the two worst teams in the division (Giants/Washington). It would be a total Giants thing to do, to not only making the yoffs but to actually win a playoff game out of nowhere and take down an 11 and 5 team that actually deserves to be there.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Ill subscribe to this. Thankyou.
I worry that the Cowboys will go an do something stupid, like play some decent footy between now and the end of the yr and win the bloody div.