From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: February 24, 2020, 2:40 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 24, 2020, 2:31 pm Thanks Pig. I'm hearing a lot of problems but is that notice from the NFLPA the position they are taking or does it outline to content of the proposal?

Also while you're there can you give me Matt's opinion on the next contract for Dak? :)
I think they put that notice as a outline of the proposal, but i dont think they'd bother to try and outline that level of the proposal unless they felt it was a deal with really considering. So a little of both? They want their members informed with a succinct summary of what the deal includes but negotiations have been ongoing for over a year now and this is the first proposal they've outlined to their players like this, so that probably indicates that the NFLPA feel this deal is worth taking to a vote.

Matt's going to feel bad about the next Dak contract because it's going to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL, and he isnt the best. But the option of letting Dak walk and trying to get lucky in the draft again, or taking a swing at one of the veteran guys is not worth it.
So Matt, like Jerreh is going to hold his nose and accept the deal to make Dak the highest paid player in the NFL.
Yep, I agree with Matt's position on Dak (thanks for sharing it). Its a lot to do with timing of his deal as the Cowboys are limited on options. A lot of top QBs are winding down their career (Brady, Brees, Rivers) and the other talent on the market is a step down from Dak (Tannehill, Winston etc). Means they will have to cough up the big $$ to keep him. He'll be over paid but the alternatives for the Cowboys are less desirable.

Their only other course of action is to trade. There are a number of decent QBs who probably need to separate from their current team (Stafford, Carr come to mind). Even take a flyer on some young, talented guys who may need a reboot (Trubisky, Dalton). Neither is ideal, which further highlights the position of strength for Dak in his negotiations.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 24, 2020, 2:40 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 24, 2020, 2:31 pm Thanks Pig. I'm hearing a lot of problems but is that notice from the NFLPA the position they are taking or does it outline to content of the proposal?

Also while you're there can you give me Matt's opinion on the next contract for Dak? :)
I think they put that notice as a outline of the proposal, but i dont think they'd bother to try and outline that level of the proposal unless they felt it was a deal with really considering. So a little of both? They want their members informed with a succinct summary of what the deal includes but negotiations have been ongoing for over a year now and this is the first proposal they've outlined to their players like this, so that probably indicates that the NFLPA feel this deal is worth taking to a vote.

Matt's going to feel bad about the next Dak contract because it's going to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL, and he isnt the best. But the option of letting Dak walk and trying to get lucky in the draft again, or taking a swing at one of the veteran guys is not worth it.
So Matt, like Jerreh is going to hold his nose and accept the deal to make Dak the highest paid player in the NFL.
Its going to happen, but within 12 months he will be top 5 at best. By the end of his contract top 10 at best.
Its still gonna suck.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah maybe, you'd have to think Lamar, Mahomes and Watson will jump him
But i dont know that anyone out of the 2018 class will come over him, someone would have make a pretty big leap to do it. Kyler might, anyone beyond that, the Dak deal is redone before they're up.
He's going to be top 5 for at least 2-3 seasons IMO, just not a lot of deals coming up to jump him other than Lamar, Mahomes and Watson.

Top 5 is a good bet though by the end of his deal... Id bet that by the time he does his second big deal, he's still top 5 paid in the league. But there is a pretty decent enough pathway for that contract to end up being outside the top 7-10 depending on what happens with some of the guys like Wentz, Goff and vet guys like Matty Ice, Newton and Stafford who are still young enough to get monster deals.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Anyone with some spare time and interest in the NFL - NLFPA CBA discussions, Slate's Hang Up and Listen Podcast today and they had a good balanced chat about it.

Its actually an awesome podcast in general and you should listen to it, but if you just want to hear the CBA thing, it's just the first 15 minutes.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 25, 2020, 12:42 pm Anyone with some spare time and interest in the NFL - NLFPA CBA discussions, Slate's Hang Up and Listen Podcast today and they had a good balanced chat about it.

Its actually an awesome podcast in general and you should listen to it, but if you just want to hear the CBA thing, it's just the first 15 minutes.
Just listened to that CBA stuff.
Interesting.
You have already said it, as did the Cowboys Pod I listened to yesterday:
1. Top players are happy to sit. Happy to say no.
2. Bottom/ fringe guys, who have 1-3 season careers, might be happy to take what little extras they can get for 1 extra game a yr. 16-48 vs 17-51 game career.
3. In this sport, the owners always win. So they can set the agenda.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Could be argued that those players on the minimum and in the practice squad are getting more money for less work. Fringe guys see most game time in preseason and there's one less of those.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Big news from day 1 of combine. Joe Burrow's hand measured only 9". Expect him to freefall into the 2nd round now.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 25, 2020, 6:27 pm Big news from day 1 of combine. Joe Burrow's hand measured only 9". Expect him to freefall into the 2nd round now.
Wouldn't that be funny. I mean, apparently he is going to tell Bengals where they can stick it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 25, 2020, 7:18 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 25, 2020, 6:27 pm Big news from day 1 of combine. Joe Burrow's hand measured only 9". Expect him to freefall into the 2nd round now.
Wouldn't that be funny. I mean, apparently he is going to tell Bengals where they can stick it.
I think that's just people reading between lines and trying to create news. Speculating he'll pull an Eli.

Thing is everybody is assuming Bengals rate him on top. They might prefer Tua or even take Chase Young and use their 2nd round pick on a QB or even sign a veteran FA (Dak?). So many options open to them.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Has the combine actually started yet?
I thought it was in prime time now? Which means today should be done, and info coming out?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 26, 2020, 7:23 pm Has the combine actually started yet?
I thought it was in prime time now? Which means today should be done, and info coming out?
Just the preliminary crap. Measurements, interviews etc. Drills start Friday morning our time.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NFLPA has agreed to send the CBA to the players for a vote.
A simple majority will have it passed... basically, this thing is a done duck, given the concessions made to PS and min wage players, which account for 70% of the league... its inconcievble to me to think this wont pass.

So looks like we're going to get confirmation of labour peace in the NFL until 2031
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 26, 2020, 7:26 pm
Just the preliminary crap. Measurements, interviews etc. Drills start Friday morning our time.
Joe Burrow after his hand size:

"Considering retirement after I was informed the football will be slipping out of my tiny hands. Please keep me in your thoughts."

:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 26, 2020, 7:49 pm

"Considering retirement after I was informed the football will be slipping out of my tiny hands. Please keep me in your thoughts."

:lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 26, 2020, 7:45 pm NFLPA has agreed to send the CBA to the players for a vote.
A simple majority will have it passed... basically, this thing is a done duck, given the concessions made to PS and min wage players, which account for 70% of the league... its inconcievble to me to think this wont pass.

So looks like we're going to get confirmation of labour peace in the NFL until 2031
Well... lock Dak in at 38-40 then
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The website said TEs, QBs and something today. Was that just the above? Boring
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 26, 2020, 8:50 pm
The website said TEs, QBs and something today. Was that just the above? Boring
WR the other one. Basically the passing units.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If his career is up the with the quality of that response he'll be Hall of Fame.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 26, 2020, 9:52 pm

If his career is up the with the quality of that response he'll be Hall of Fame.
:thumbsup :cmon :clap:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just saw this article, which is a good run down of the new passing drills this year. More representative of what QBs will need to do in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... fl-combine
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 27, 2020, 8:22 am Just saw this article, which is a good run down of the new passing drills this year. More representative of what QBs will need to do in the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... fl-combine
cool. great idea
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Some good back and forth on twitter between Redskins LS Nick Sundberg and RG3 about the deal, really gets to the heart of it

Aaron Rodgers has also posted a long post about his thoughts, Richard Sherman too has made his position clear. Andrew Brandt and Ross Tucker had a great back and forth on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast about it

This is the heart of it, it's objectively a bad deal for the players in many many ways, but it's almost impossible to ask guys like Nick Sundberg who's spent most of his career on little to no money and even now is only getting 1m a year (lets again keep the perspective on these salaries, 1m is a lot to us, but for a 10 year career vs my 40-50 year career, it aint that much) to picket games and forfeit salary for the future, when there is some really pretty decent stuff in there for the Nick Sundbergs of the world

And that's the owners plan, when i said earlier they structured this deal well, it's the non economical gives they've made and for billionaires, very small economical concessions made but made to 65-70% of the players.

It's causing some real division in players, and its drawn down the lines of exactly how the owners want it to... the elite players who have all these legitimate and valid concerns and who can afford a work stoppage because they've made 20-30-50+mil each... vs the rest who are one injury or string of bad games away from being cut and maybe never getting another shot, who desperately need that extra 90k a year
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 27, 2020, 11:09 am Some good back and forth on twitter between Redskins LS Nick Sundberg and RG3 about the deal, really gets to the heart of it

Aaron Rodgers has also posted a long post about his thoughts, Richard Sherman too has made his position clear. Andrew Brandt and Ross Tucker had a great back and forth on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast about it

This is the heart of it, it's objectively a bad deal for the players in many many ways, but it's almost impossible to ask guys like Nick Sundberg who's spent most of his career on little to no money and even now is only getting 1m a year (lets again keep the perspective on these salaries, 1m is a lot to us, but for a 10 year career vs my 40-50 year career, it aint that much) to picket games and forfeit salary for the future, when there is some really pretty decent stuff in there for the Nick Sundbergs of the world

And that's the owners plan, when i said earlier they structured this deal well, it's the non economical gives they've made and for billionaires, very small economical concessions made but made to 65-70% of the players.

It's causing some real division in players, and its drawn down the lines of exactly how the owners want it to... the elite players who have all these legitimate and valid concerns and who can afford a work stoppage because they've made 20-30-50+mil each... vs the rest who are one injury or string of bad games away from being cut and maybe never getting another shot, who desperately need that extra 90k a year
Indeed. Its a great case point for society as a whole.
Those in charge only have to appeal to the masses.
Those that have the money, make the rules.
Those in a position to have 'a principle' they are willing to stand up for, are the minority, even if they might be right.
Those at the bottom of the food chain will take what they can get.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Some 40 time results from the combine. Henry Ruggs was talked about as breaking the 4.22 combine record. Came up a touch short at 4.27. Still lightning quick so his stock won't shift. Bama teammate Jerry Jeudy ran 4.45 which is as fast as he was expected to go. CeeDee Lamb the other top WR ran 4.5 which is probably fast enough for him given his standing as an elite level pass catcher more than a breakaway threat.

For the QBs we saw Jalen Hurts go 4.59 to help solidify his reputation as a running threat. Justin Herbert's 4.68 will be well received. Thats some decent toe for a 6'6" 235lb QB. If he shines in the passing drills he'll secure a top 10 (even top 5) spot.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ruggs blew the starts on both his runs. Reckon he might have another crack at his pro day.

The 40 time i thought was most impressive was Jefferson. Ran a 4.4... that's going to move up from a borderline first to locked into the first imo
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 28, 2020, 1:14 pm Ruggs blew the starts on both his runs. Reckon he might have another crack at his pro day.

The 40 time i thought was most impressive was Jefferson. Ran a 4.4... that's going to move up from a borderline first to locked into the first imo
Such a strong receiver class this year you will see a few 1st round quality guys slip into the 2nd round. Good news for teams needing help there. Jerry Jeudy is my favourite and a lot of mocks have him going mid to late teens.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 28, 2020, 1:28 pm
Botman wrote: February 28, 2020, 1:14 pm Ruggs blew the starts on both his runs. Reckon he might have another crack at his pro day.

Such a strong receiver class this year you will see a few 1st round quality guys slip into the 2nd round. Good news for teams needing help there. Jerry Jeudy is my favourite and a lot of mocks have him going mid to late teens.
Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how the overall quality and depth impacts the class.
There is talk that up to 25-30 WRs could go in the first 3 rounds, which is unheard of... i dont think it gets to that because i think the depth ultimate hurts... like Juedy is WR worthy of a top 5-7 selection, in most years he'd go in that range... and he's the type of guy that a needy team like my Eagles would happily trade up to get if he fell out of the top 10... but this year? What are you giving up to go up and get Juedy and is that worth it when you can probably stay put and get Ruggs or Jefferson, either of which whilst not a better prospect, could wind up being better NFL players.

So it's going really interesting to see how it all plays out. I think we'll see WRs sliding because teams will take over needs, knowing they can come back on day 2 and probably get someone like Aiyuk, Raegor or Hamler, maybe even someone like Higgins or Shenault or Jefferson if he doesnt rise like i think he will. To me Jefferson and Ruggs are 3a and 3b on my board, depending on what your team needs.

Honestly, based on what i've seen, there is so much talent and depth and different types of WRs, i dont think id knock a team for taking any of Juedy, Lamb, Jefferson, Ruggs, Shenault, Higgins, Reagor or Aiyuk in the first pending on where in the first... i think those guys are all legit first round talents

To me the cut off is a Hamler who is a day two guy imo. Anyone ahead of him, if thats your guy, and you got them in the right area and value (ie lets not get silly and take Shenault over Ruggs, Jefferson, Jeudy or Lamb) then cool
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

There is going to Rd 2 talent in Rd 4 at WR. Maybe deeper than that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 28, 2020, 1:38 pm

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how the overall quality and depth impacts the class.
There is talk that up to 25-30 WRs could go in the first 3 rounds, which is unheard of... i dont think it gets to that because i think the depth ultimate hurts... like Juedy is WR worthy of a top 5-7 selection, in most years he'd go in that range... and he's the type of guy that a needy team like my Eagles would happily trade up to get if he fell out of the top 10... but this year? What are you giving up to go up and get Juedy and is that worth it when you can probably stay put and get Ruggs or Jefferson, either of which whilst not a better prospect, could wind up being better NFL players.

So it's going really interesting to see how it all plays out. I think we'll see WRs sliding because teams will take over needs, knowing they can come back on day 2 and probably get someone like Aiyuk, Raegor or Hamler, maybe even someone like Higgins or Shenault or Jefferson if he doesnt rise like i think he will. To me Jefferson and Ruggs are 3a and 3b on my board, depending on what your team needs.

Honestly, based on what i've seen, there is so much talent and depth and different types of WRs, i dont think id knock a team for taking any of Juedy, Lamb, Jefferson, Ruggs, Shenault, Higgins, Reagor or Aiyuk in the first pending on where in the first... i think those guys are all legit first round talents

To me the cut off is a Hamler who is a day two guy imo. Anyone ahead of him, if thats your guy, and you got them in the right area and value (ie lets not get silly and take Shenault over Ruggs, Jefferson, Jeudy or Lamb) then cool
Exactly, for the teams that need catchers you let the chips fall in front of you. When your turn comes it's a case of taking whoever tops your board at the time. I don't think there's a lot of teams willing to spend a high 1st round pick on a WR so its very likely one of the top 3 will be available at 21 where Pheagles pick. Also consider if teams want a big target like Higgins then one of those top few could slip further. Its a position becoming much harder to predict at the draft.

Ironically the depth at WR is balanced by the lack of it at TE, which was a strong group last year.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I dont know what a Netane Muti is, but 40 bench reps is CRA CRA!

Fresno State Athletics OL apparently.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: February 28, 2020, 3:46 pm I dont know what a Netane Muti is, but 40 bench reps is CRA CRA!

Fresno State Athletics OL apparently.
Might have a future as a power lifter
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Isaiah Simmons

My goodness
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 1, 2020, 8:02 pm Isaiah Simmons

My goodness
Ive been totally out of the loop with it not being on FTA. What did or didnt he do?

EDIT: Just jumped on the NFL combine. DAMN!!!!! That kid is faster than RBs. And can jump
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

absolute specimen.