NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

This is beginning to turn ugly for the Packers.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 13, 2020, 11:13 am That Chiefs - Texans game was nuts
At 24-0 i said the game was over, but when Lonnie Johnson went out at 24-7 and Kelce started heating up i flipped immediately and was convinced KC would not only win the game but win it going away.
Totally changed the game. Once Johnson went out, the Texans had no one who could hang with Kelce and it opened the entire game up for KC.

They got outscored from that point onwards 51-7
YIKES

Packers have this game in hand at the half, never count out Russ and Seattle, as we learnt a few years ago, but assuming this holds (and i think Seattle will make a comeback but GB will hold them off) we've got GB @ SF and TEN @ KC

Hurting for a KC v SF SB
Big Red needs to go and get his damn ring. He's earned it 100 times over, one of the best coaches in NFL history. Get it, Andy.
Seattle are right back in it with 4 to go, and the ball. As predicted Botman.
Wait...
My screen catches up.
GB have the ball with 2.30. Seattle with all 3 TOs.

EDIT
Botman nails it.
Seattle rally, but GB hold on.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

As a neutral observer I'll say the Seahawks got shafted on that last spot for the 1st down.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 13, 2020, 12:51 pm As a neutral observer I'll say the Seahawks got shafted on that last spot for the 1st down.
As a neutral, I enjoyed the Griffin twin sack too
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:As a neutral observer I'll say the Seahawks got shafted on that last spot for the 1st down.
He looked about a foot short.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: January 13, 2020, 1:00 pm
Northern Raider wrote:As a neutral observer I'll say the Seahawks got shafted on that last spot for the 1st down.

That's how I saw it. Helmet came down short of the mark. You could even see a gouge in the turf where it landed. Ball was on his chest so you had to assume it was short of the mark.

That said the Seahawks still had to make a stop on next play then score off the subsequent possession to change the result.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 13, 2020, 1:04 pm

That's how I saw it. Helmet came down short of the mark. You could even see a gouge in the turf where it landed. Ball was on his chest so you had to assume it was short of the mark.

That said the Seahawks still had to make a stop on next play then score off the subsequent possession to change the result.
Just had another look. Looks down by contact to me.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 13, 2020, 1:15 pm

I think they were probably short but the problem was Graham was up on the defenders body, helmet doesnt count as down by contact... the first point would be elbow/forearm and that was much closer because he was up on the defenders body. And there as no replay that showed where his forearm hit the dirt... Logically it was probably not too long after his head hit and if you were applying some logic on this, you'd say he was short... but before we get to carried away then in the first qtr they should have a turn over on a fumble but the NFL determined there was no clear recovery, despite it being abundantly clear that GB had the football

Ended up being a good game.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 13, 2020, 1:20 pm
Matt wrote: January 13, 2020, 1:15 pm

I think they were probably short but the problem was Graham was up on the defenders body, helmet doesnt count as down by contact... the first point would be elbow/forearm and that was much closer because he was up on the defenders body. And there as no replay that showed where his forearm hit the dirt... Logically it was probably not too long after his head hit and if you were applying some logic on this, you'd say he was short... but before we get to carried away then in the first qtr they should have a turn over on a fumble but the NFL determined there was no clear recovery, despite it being abundantly clear that GB had the football

Ended up being a good game.
Yeah it's an application of logic rather than clear footage of the position of the ball. Being an officials review I believe they should go with the most likely outcome rather than support the on field decision. Different story if it's a coaches challenge to overturn.

That said I reckon the original spot by the onfield official was terrible. He set it a foot past the 1st down mark when it was probably a foot short. That's a good 2 foot variance. These are the types of calls you want the officials to be a lot better at with so much at stake.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah agreed
This is what happens when you've got 40-50 year old men spotting the football with their eyes, instead of trying to utilise some technology in the football to spot the ball accurately.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just for clarification. Down by contact is when a runner is contacted by an opponent and touches the ground with any part of his body other than his hands or feet. That therefore includes the helmet.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I did see on another forum that the TV first down line was not in the right spot.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: January 13, 2020, 3:57 pm I did see on another forum that the TV first down line was not in the right spot.

This is true. From that pic it's about the thickness of the line too far forward. It's way still short though. Ball is about in line the numbers on tackler's shirt.

The telling factor was the gouge in the turf from the top of the face mask. You could see on the footage it started in line with the 1st down marker. A very clear indicator of where he was down by contact and the ball was behind it. Didn't need any video replays to work that out. Just needed to look at the ground.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeah i was just coming to post this, remember the yellow line isnt official.
And the official marker was half a yard back from that point, even on that shot, helmet hits the turf at the line and the ball is likely about that point (and right ON the actual offical first down marker) or a touch later.

The spot WAS bad because it was a yard ahead of the yellow line, but even spoted correctly, on looking at it now, i think the correct spot is still damn close enough for a first down that it was completely defensiable to award it.

And again, this was not even close to the worst call of the game. Which belonged to giving the Hawks the ball back after the NFL told us there was no clear recovery on a fumble that was VERY clearly and obviously recovered by GB
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

National Championship game on today
worth watching for any NFL fans... i dont know the exact number but roughly EVERY SINGLE **** player in this game will be drafted in the next 2-3 years in the first 2 rounds :lol:

Sticking with my prediction that Clemson get the win. Is going to be a banger game though!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What an amazing scene it is too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bet Clemson H2H, Clemson +5.5 and Under 65.5

Couldnt have gotten this one more wrong :lol:
LSU deserving national champs... A real shame Burrow is going to get ruined by the god damn Bengals
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 14, 2020, 2:50 pm Bet Clemson H2H, Clemson +5.5 and Under 65.5

Couldnt have gotten this one more wrong :lol:
LSU deserving national champs... A real shame Burrow is going to get ruined by the god damn Bengals
:roflmao
He already has a helmet, thanks to Boomer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seems like a nice young bloke too.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@the bone,
@botman,
@summitone77,
@gergreg,

Its probably too early, BUT....
Is this a CB or Safety deep draft? Who would be the top 3 of each?

Is there a star TE?

Is DL deep?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 14, 2020, 6:29 pm @the bone,
@botman,
@summitone77,
@gergreg,

Is there a star TE?

Is DL deep?
It's QB, WR and actually a sneaky OL draft.
There is always DL and DB's at the top end who are good but i dont think it's deep at DL this year (makes sense given the depth that's come out in the last 2 years)... I dont much care for the TE's in this class right now. That could change as things evolve but as of right now, i dont see game changers in the class.

My top 3 CB's right now - Okudah out of OSU, and i think he's head and shoulders above the rest, he'll be a top 5 pick i think. The next best for me is Fulton who played today for LSU, he's a mid first rounder and then my next best is Travon Diggs from Bama... who i think i rated somewhere around 5-6 in the CB's this year.
There is probably 5 first rounders so if you want one in the class you can get one in the first
Might be recency bias after he got abused today but i dont much care for AJ Terrell... it looks deep in solid corners but not in studs

At Safety, the top 2 are pretty damn clear, both played today and were all over the damn field. Simmons and Delpit. Studs, the pair of them. Simmons actually plays LB now but i think he'll end up as a safety at the next level. But his position doesnt matter, he's a physical tweener that everyone is looking for. Range to cover and match up on TEs and can also come up into the box in Nickle as a LB and hit people. The prototypcial 2020 Strong Safety.
Delpit is more your classic FS. Great range, can cover and ball skills, great instincts. Too many miss tackles though, not through lack of trying, actually think he goes to hard and loses his fundamentals at times. Probably will get coached up into a good tackler. After those two... meh. I mean it's the draft so someone is going to be a stud late in this, but predicting who it will be is a bit tough at this stage.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 14, 2020, 6:55 pm
Matt wrote: January 14, 2020, 6:29 pm @the bone,
@botman,
@summitone77,
@gergreg,

Is there a star TE?

Is DL deep?
It's QB, WR and actually a sneaky OL draft.
There is always DL and DB's at the top end who are good but i dont think it's deep at DL this year (makes sense given the depth that's come out in the last 2 years)... I dont much care for the TE's in this class right now. That could change as things evolve but as of right now, i dont see game changers in the class.

My top 3 CB's right now - Okudah out of OSU, and i think he's head and shoulders above the rest, he'll be a top 5 pick i think. The next best for me is Fulton who played today for LSU, he's a mid first rounder and then my next best is Travon Diggs from Bama... who i think i rated somewhere around 5-6 in the CB's this year.
There is probably 5 first rounders so if you want one in the class you can get one in the first
Might be recency bias after he got abused today but i dont much care for AJ Terrell... it looks deep in solid corners but not in studs

At Safety, the top 2 are pretty damn clear, both played today and were all over the damn field. Simmons and Delpit. Studs, the pair of them. Simmons actually plays LB now but i think he'll end up as a safety at the next level. But his position doesnt matter, he's a physical tweener that everyone is looking for. Range to cover and match up on TEs and can also come up into the box in Nickle as a LB and hit people. The prototypcial 2020 Strong Safety.
Delpit is more your classic FS. Great range, can cover and ball skills, great instincts. Too many miss tackles though, not through lack of trying, actually think he goes to hard and loses his fundamentals at times. Probably will get coached up into a good tackler. After those two... meh. I mean it's the draft so someone is going to be a stud late in this, but predicting who it will be is a bit tough at this stage.
I'd say we will chase 1 of those names then.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Greeneyed, are you getting into American Football a bit at the moment? Cricket too boring?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Only been reading for these names for 15mins, and Delpit is already shooting to the top of the pile. He is like James and Adams, which is exactly what we covered this yr. Wish hd had better hands though.

I'm also loving this mock draft having us taking him.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/01/ ... -4-rounds/
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Botman wrote:yeah i was just coming to post this, remember the yellow line isnt official.
And the official marker was half a yard back from that point, even on that shot, helmet hits the turf at the line and the ball is likely about that point (and right ON the actual offical first down marker) or a touch later.

The spot WAS bad because it was a yard ahead of the yellow line, but even spoted correctly, on looking at it now, i think the correct spot is still damn close enough for a first down that it was completely defensiable to award it.

And again, this was not even close to the worst call of the game. Which belonged to giving the Hawks the ball back after the NFL told us there was no clear recovery on a fumble that was VERY clearly and obviously recovered by GB
Now I've mostly gotten over it, Hawks losing was nothing to do with first down markers, and everything to do with not having enough depth to step up during clutch situations. Dropped passes, and relying on retired running backs and a strategy that may have worked mid decade, but never adapted to the strengths and weaknesses of the team. Mind you, with that offensive line I'm not entirely sure what they could do. Some players, like Flowers and Hollister had probably their worst game of the season. Diggs, Disley, Willson, Gordon, Carson, amongst others out, and others like Hunt playing injured. Can't even remember who the starting center is, but he went down early in the season. Some are questioning their conditioning, I couldn't honestly say I know enough to comment on it. Was certainly a lot of heart attacks, never the confidence that the (Canberra) Raiders gave me last season.

Thought Metcalf looked good after he got used to it and fixed his handling up. Interested to see what his second year will be like. Have like $70m cap available next season, and have to fix both offensive and defensive lines.

Chiefs vs 9ers would be interesting. Titans on a roll, never expected them to be anywhere near this stage after watching early season games.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Just checked the IR list, Carson, Penny and Prosise injured so it was down to the 4th choice rookie Homer, and Lynch coming out of retirement. Not really a recipe for success. Britt is the injured centre and Hunt was playing on a fractured fibula and had dislocated fingers yesterday.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Okudah - DAAAAMN! That kid can play.

Travon Diggs has more ball hawk ability, so I'd take him over Kristian Fulton. He has really good speed too, special teams ability too. Byron Jones was very good, but no turnovers is a pain. Looks like Fulton will be this kinda CB.

AJ Terrell is a great tackler for a CB.

Simmons looks big for a saftey, but definitely has the speed for it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

reptar wrote: January 14, 2020, 7:47 pm Just checked the IR list, Carson, Penny and Prosise injured so it was down to the 4th choice rookie Homer, and Lynch coming out of retirement. Not really a recipe for success. Britt is the injured centre and Hunt was playing on a fractured fibula and had dislocated fingers yesterday.
Their RB situation was appalling. The only thing more appalling was that Pete Carroll insisted on running the football with guys who will NOT be on an NFL roster next year, and waiting until they were down big to let Wilson cook.

Wilson is one of the best QB's in the league and is chronically wasted.
Carroll is a good coach but it's getting harder and harder to justify the **** going on there. Seattle are squandering a HOF qb

Metcalf is legit... he might only be able to run like 2-3 routes but it's the old saying, if you've only got one trick, at least make it a good one. He fits perfectly with Russ. He's going to be stud there.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 14, 2020, 7:54 pm Simmons looks big for a saftey, but definitely has the speed for it.
Yeah someone is going to draft him and they'll officially list him as a Safety or a LB, and ultimately it wont matter, because if he's played the way he should be, it will be as a hybrid who can do a little of both, So his designation isnt super important

the distinction between SS and LB is becoming pretty blurred with how teams are using Nickle packages more as a base. He's going to be in the box making plays in the run game or covering RB/TE inside of the sticks. That's going to be his role. He's excellent in press coverage, he's got enough speed to hang with RB's short term (wheel routes against real speedy RBsmight be a problem if the QB has time to let it develop) and the size to cope with TEs
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Botman wrote:
reptar wrote: January 14, 2020, 7:47 pm Just checked the IR list, Carson, Penny and Prosise injured so it was down to the 4th choice rookie Homer, and Lynch coming out of retirement. Not really a recipe for success. Britt is the injured centre and Hunt was playing on a fractured fibula and had dislocated fingers yesterday.
Their RB situation was appalling. The only thing more appalling was that Pete Carroll insisted on running the football with guys who will NOT be on an NFL roster next year, and waiting until they were down big to let Wilson cook.

Wilson is one of the best QB's in the league and is chronically wasted.
Carroll is a good coach but it's getting harder and harder to justify the **** going on there. Seattle are squandering a HOF qb

Metcalf is legit... he might only be able to run like 2-3 routes but it's the old saying, if you've only got one trick, at least make it a good one. He fits perfectly with Russ. He's going to be stud there.
It's hard to say what Carroll was thinking. I don't think the O line gave them a lot of choice towards the end of the year. Says a lot that Wilson lead the running yards yesterday. Lynch was stifled as you know he's not a reception target. Homer did okay, but not as well as last week or against the 9ers. Interested to see whether they retain Clowney, and what they do in the draft. Diggs trade included another two years. Gordon looked alright in limited minutes, if he gets a reprieve from his ban (not sure how likely that is) I wonder if they go for him.

I think Carroll forgets it isn't UCLA sometimes.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Diggs trade was highway **** robbery. No idea what the Lions were thinking. That guy is a stud.
I think Clowney is 50/50 to leave, i dont know where he'd go, i would have said Philly pre season but that hit on Wentz and the response from the fan base and him regarding the fanbase might make that tough
Time heels all wounds though maybe. But i think that's very long odds now, given those fan issues and the price tag, which will not match production

Baltimore is a sneaky spot, but i think Seattle have the money and a need to keep him so that's probably how it goes.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Clowney's interview yesterday said he wants to be at a contender. Most sportsmen will say that, and any side with Wilson has to be a chance, particularly if they do this well even while **** the bed. Be interesting to see where he goes. He was also playing injured most of the season, sports hernia, apparently.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Diggs trade was awesome, by the way. Pity he ended up injured. Haha
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 14, 2020, 8:28 pm
Matt wrote: January 14, 2020, 7:54 pm Simmons looks big for a saftey, but definitely has the speed for it.
Yeah someone is going to draft him and they'll officially list him as a Safety or a LB, and ultimately it wont matter, because if he's played the way he should be, it will be as a hybrid who can do a little of both, So his designation isnt super important

the distinction between SS and LB is becoming pretty blurred with how teams are using Nickle packages more as a base. He's going to be in the box making plays in the run game or covering RB/TE inside of the sticks. That's going to be his role. He's excellent in press coverage, he's got enough speed to hang with RB's short term (wheel routes against real speedy RBsmight be a problem if the QB has time to let it develop) and the size to cope with TEs
You can totally see that. Looks as big as Bam Bam Kam in pads - I just checked the numbers and he is an inch taller. Doesnt seem to hit as hard, but looks good too.