From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 13, 2018, 7:56 pm Yeah...im not sure he can
Dak brings an element to an offence with his run game that is hard to manage... Carr is... not good. He might be alright behind a OL that keeps him clean but the book on Carr is the moment things are a little muddy, he is basically a non starter.

I dont fear either of them long term, in a one game deal though, ill take my chances with Carr, because the running QB factor is at least a solid wildcard
TBH, both need the pocket to be clean, but there arent too many who are effective without it.

Id also argue that Carr was at his most effective with a RB taking some of the heat. Given that he was most effective with Latavius Murray, and a lesser extent Beastmode, youd have to think Zeke and our OL would be better than theirs.

As much fun as Dak can be to watch. He can also be a trainwreck. If Zeke is rollin, he is fine, coz there are 1 on 1s. But when he isnt... well you saw the previous 2 wks.

Carr can throw recievers open. So, he can move the ball even if the run game isnt moving. Which in turn could get Zeke moving again.

My take is, Carr is more likely to be a more effective and safer long term deal. Dak has exciting up, but a low floor.

Im not sold either way, but Id prefer to see a pocket passer under centre than a read option/ play action passer.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont really agree that Carr throws people open.
IMO he's not a natural anticipation thrower, i think he's more Alex Smith in that he's a see it and throw it QB, he needs to see the guy come open and deliver. Neither typically throw strikes as or before WRs are making their breaks.
I agree that Carr is best when he has a really good running game and Dallas would give him that... to me if you're debating Carr v Dak, you got a QB problem that probably needs addressing FA or the draft

ill tell you my nightmare... Dallas signing Teddy Bridgewater in FA. I dont see it happening but boy, Zeke, that emerging D and Tedddy... that's a little scary
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:14 pm I dont really agree that Carr throws people open.
IMO he's not a natural anticipation thrower, i think he's more Alex Smith in that he's a see it and throw it QB, he needs to see the guy come open and deliver. Neither typically throw strikes as or before WRs are making their breaks.
I agree that Carr is best when he has a really good running game and Dallas would give him that... to me if you're debating Carr v Dak, you got a QB problem that probably needs addressing FA or the draft

ill tell you my nightmare... Dallas signing Teddy Bridgewater in FA. I dont see it happening but boy, Zeke, that emerging D and Tedddy... that's a little scary
Ill call Jerr
:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

We do have a QB problem.
BUT, we also have a coach problem, and thats far worse IMO.
We are also far more likely to see change there than at QB. Esp as we traded our likely mid round #1 pick
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No question, the coaching issue is the biggest one

I dont rate Dak... like at all, never have, even in his gun rookie year, he's just a guy IMO... he's never IMO going to be a top 10-15 guy, but the right scheme could mask his flaws, that coaching staff are god damn morons who have no idea how to use him

Dallas beat us the other day fairly and squarely and i think Dak was OK... but you switch QBs and honestly that game is over by the halftime. Dak missed so many plays. We got played off the park and the only thing that kept us in it was Dak.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 13, 2018, 8:29 pm No question, the coaching issue is the biggest one

I dont rate Dak... like at all, never have, even in his gun rookie year, he's just a guy IMO... he's never IMO going to be a top 10-15 guy, but the right scheme could mask his flaws, that coaching staff are god damn morons who have no idea how to use him

Dallas beat us the other day fairly and squarely and i think Dak was OK... but you switch QBs and honestly that game is over by the halftime. Dak missed so many plays. We got played off the park and the only thing that kept us in it was Dak.
Yep. It can be painful to watch at times.
Its so obvious he is a read option/ play action QB, and we dont play that way often enough. I mean, the Titoons schooled us the week before with that exact offense. That and 'screen attack' to negate the blitz.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

So, from the top...
Packers vs Seahawks - This was a good game. ARod and Jones did their best, but ultimatley Seattle road a wave to victory... :woot:

Jagz vs Steelers - When I left home this morning, Jagz had their finally got their claws out and were all over Big Ben. Ramsey had 2 picks shutting down AB, and their D had a 3rd (One of Ramsey's came after a reversed pick to Jack, due to a roughing the passer penalty). I get to work and Steelers posted 20 unanswered pts... ****?!?!? Jagz must have imploded. Watching the highlights. Its 6-16 with 2.35 to go. WOOOOW! Big Ben with the QB run to win it.

Texans vs Skins - All Day moves up the all time lists. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE injury to Alex Smith... Lawerance Taylor on Joe Theismann anyone?!?! Lots of turnovers in this one. Both Offences had drops and missed plays. BUT... BUT... NFC East is wide open again with the Skins losing.

Titans vs Colts - Titoons are back this week. Colts took them to the cleaners. Luck ballin'. TY doing TY things, which of course means a looong TD.

Lions vs Panthers - I like DJ Moore! The kid can play. Bit of Steve Smith about him too. Cam played well too. BUT... Lions got home. Galloday with a good afternoon, incl. the 2 go ahead plays for the Lions. Why did the Panthers go for 2? Tie it up?!?!?

Ravens vs Bengals - A typical Div battle. BUT, our 1st big look at Laamar Jackson for Ravens. Jackson ran for 100, Edwards ran for 100. Ravens just ran it down their throat. Then the Ravens D stuffed the Bengals run, forcing Dalton to do it all. With no AJ Green, it was too much to ask.

Giants vs Buccs - Well... what can we say... Buccs are bad, really bad. 4 INTs between Fitz-magic and Winston. Plus Winston's lost fumble. However, scoring 35 and conceding 38. Story of their yr, very Canberra Raiders-esque. We say it every wk, but Barkley is a stud. He needs help in the next draft, lots of it. Giants are bad, but got a win, which makes their draft stocks worse.

Cowboys vs Falcons - HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!! LVE doing Sean Lee things, incl a pick in consecutive weeks. Cows D keeps Matty Ice and Julio out of the end zone for most of the game, game tying drive the only glitch, otherwise forcing field goals. They also keep Ryan sub 300 for passing yards. Zeke gets rollin', and Dak does enough.

Bronx vs Chargers - WOW! Rivers throws over 400 yards and they lose. I look forward to these highlights. ***Highlights watched*** The 2 picks for Rivers were costly. Then a good 2min drill by Bronx to end the game.

Raiders vs Cards - Raiders get their 2nd 'W'. Box score looks like a tyre fire game. Rosen's 2 INTs the difference. Cant be bothered with this one. ***Highlights watched*** TBH, Rosen looked the better QB. I also enjoyed seeing Fitz get in the end zone a couple of times. BUT, like the previous game, the 2 picks were costly. Then a good 2min drive by Raiders to get it done.

Eagles vs Saints - @Pigman, kudos if you are still watching. Brees and the Saints doing it easy as. They are a juggernaut ATM, and I suspect the Eagles wont be the last team to get a spanking by this team. Eagles fall further behind in the Div title race though.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i've given up on this year, we had an outrageous amount of injuries last year and overcame them, but this year has some how managed to be worse...

Jimmy Kepski, a beat writer for the eagles summed it up with this tweet

"The Eagles' secondary sounds like made-up names when you play Madden in franchise mode."

And he's right, our secondary today was Malcolm Jenkins, Tre Sullivan, Corey Graham, Chandon Sullivan, Cra'Von LeBlanc and Devante Bausby... i dont even know who half those dudes are.
You're not going to beat Brees and this saints team unless you're flawless, and most of those dudes aren't NFL footballers

We'll finish the year maybe 6-10/7-9 or something. By any measure you wish to apply, this team just isnt talented enough to make the play offs, least of all make a late run.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 19, 2018, 12:50 pm Yeah i've given up on this year, we had an outrageous amount of injuries last year and overcame them, but this year has some how managed to be worse...

Jimmy Kepski, a beat writer for the eagles summed it up with this tweet

"The Eagles' secondary sounds like made-up names when you play Madden in franchise mode."

And he's right, our secondary today was Malcolm Jenkins, Tre Sullivan, Corey Graham, Chandon Sullivan, Cra'Von LeBlanc and Devante Bausby... i dont even know who half those dudes are.
You're not going to beat Brees and this saints team unless you're flawless, and most of those dudes aren't NFL footballers

We'll finish the year maybe 6-10/7-9 or something. By any measure you wish to apply, this team just isnt talented enough to make the play offs, least of all make a late run.
I know Malcolm Jenkins... yep, thats it.

Brees and that Saints side is awesome. Good luck beating them.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i mean Cra'Von LeBlanc cant be a real human being. That's the results of "what's your The Wire character name" things on facebook
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 19, 2018, 1:16 pm i mean Cra'Von LeBlanc cant be a real human being. That's the results of "what's your The Wire character name" things on facebook
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Pigman wrote: November 19, 2018, 1:16 pm i mean Cra'Von LeBlanc cant be a real human being. That's the results of "what's your The Wire character name" things on facebook

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: November 19, 2018, 1:47 pm

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Pigman,

Looks like Holmes is doing a Hayne...
I have a dream, that dream is to be a crappy NFL player, and return to League via several different codes, only to return a worse player.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's a little different to Hayne
He's only 23. if he commits to this and is willing to do the hard yards for like 2-3 years, with an aim of being a player by the time he's 26, that might work for him
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ooooof. I just his measurables.
6'1, 200lbs with 4.6 40... that... that hard to project
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 19, 2018, 4:01 pm Ooooof. I just his measurables.
4.6 is borderline slow for RB or WR surely.

He is possibly big enough size wise though.

Can u see him putting in 2-3yrs work? I cant. Guy is a show boater. Too much ego.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Talk of Kaep to the skins to replace Smith
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: November 19, 2018, 5:10 pm Talk of Kaep to the skins to replace Smith
Wont happen.
Not for that owner. He's basically the antithesis of what Kaep stands (kneels) for.

I mean it might, it's sports and weird **** happens but Colt McCoy is a good back up, they arent about to turn this thing over to Kaep. Ill believe Snyder signing Kaep when i see it. This is an owner who spends hundreds of thousand of dollars and countless organisational hours trying to convince people the term "Redskin" isnt grossly inappropriate.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: November 19, 2018, 4:58 pm

Can u see him putting in 2-3yrs work? I cant. Guy is a show boater. Too much ego.
Cant be a WR with that 40, not unless he's able to make consistent contested catches like Dre Hopkins or Mike Evans, or is so **** crisp as a route runner and insanely great with technique that he can get open despite his speed... To say im dubious about that would be an understatement

4.6 corners cant play in this league

Leaves only RB/RS... He's Hayne, only not as athletic. That's a pretty awful player tbh. I dont know anything about him as a person, or his work ethic or how serious he is about this... but i agree i cant see him devoting 2-3 years to this, most of which will probably come without pay, or at a pay lower than what the Cowboys are willing to give him right now... given an athletic career is 10-13 years max, i cant blame him either.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seems a crazy decision to me. Is it possible he has had a massive falling out with someone at the sharks, or the club in general and this is his out?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 19, 2018, 7:02 pm
Matt wrote: November 19, 2018, 4:58 pm

Cant be a WR with that 40, not unless he's able to make consistent contested catches like Dre Hopkins or Mike Evans, or is so **** crisp as a route runner and insanely great with technique that he can get open despite his speed... To say im dubious about that would be an understatement

4.6 corners cant play in this league

Leaves only RB/RS... He's Hayne, only not as athletic. That's a pretty awful player tbh. I dont know anything about him as a person, or his work ethic or how serious he is about this... but i agree i cant see him devoting 2-3 years to this, most of which will probably come without pay, or at a pay lower than what the Cowboys are willing to give him right now... given an athletic career is 10-13 years max, i cant blame him either.
Im having a similar discussion on FB about this, and this is what Ive come up with:

Val is the 2nd lightest on that list, and the equal slowest. The guy at equal 10th (even if noted as 11) isnt even good, OR considered fast. Every 0.1 of a sec more is a massive difference in this game.

Antonio Brown at #5, isn't considered fast, and he is running a sub 4.5. In fact, thats average for his position.

Julio Jones, the quickest on that list, at 4.39, is also 15kgs heavier Val. So far more athletic. In fact, he is probably the best WR in the NRL right now.

The guy considered as one of the quickest in the NFL right now is Tyreek Hill, and he ran a 4.29 sec at the combine.

This is fast:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/faste ... imes.html/

Here are a few from that list:
Darrius Heyward-Bey 4.30 sec (2009)
Fabian Washington 4.29 sec (2005)
J.J Nelson 4.28 sec (2015)
Jalen Myrick 4.28 sec (2017)
Marquise Goodwin 4.27 sec (2013)
Dri Archer 4.26 sec (2014)
Chris Johnson 4.24 sec (2008)
John Ross 4.22 sec (2017)

Here is the avgs, admittedly from Wiki, BUT, it shows that he is considered slow for a Runnning Back (4.49), Wide Reciever (4.48), Corner Back (4.48) or Saftey (4.53 and/or 4.55). These are the fast positions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

More players looking at the NFL:
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-manly- ... cial-NRLFS
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/valent ... 29301a6945

This is a better article, but still a little too favorable IMO
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If you can, do yourselves a favor and turn the Rams vs Chiefs game on.
DAMN! This is a good game.
Rams D are really ballin' now. They have Mahomes on the hop
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Look the reality is Val Holmes, athletically speaking.. is not a game changer in the NFL, and there is no a lot in terms of athleticism that gives you the belief he can be a good regular contributor... I dont think he'll even make it to the level Hayne did tbh.

He cant play WR, the nuances of the position are too hard for a dude to learn... we've seen that with guys like Pryor who is an infinitely better athletic talent, but going 1 on 1 with DB's is... well good luck. You either got to be REALLY fast like DJax or Hill (Holmes is not), REALLY big like Alshon Jeffery or Mike Evans(Holmes is not) or REALLY refined as a route runner like AB or Michael Thomas (Holmes is not)

His only position is RB, and yeah... nah.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Now on to more important things

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW that game... holy ****!
I had the day off because my in laws are interstate and they watch my daughter on tuesday's, so i put my hand up to do it today (basically because i wanted to watch this game, my wife is unaware haha)

And my god it delivered.
What a game.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 20, 2018, 7:14 pm Look the reality is Val Holmes, athletically speaking.. is not a game changer in the NFL, and there is no a lot in terms of athleticism that gives you the belief he can be a good regular contributor... I dont think he'll even make it to the level Hayne did tbh.

He cant play WR, the nuances of the position are too hard for a dude to learn... we've seen that with guys like Pryor who is an infinitely better athletic talent, but going 1 on 1 with DB's is... well good luck. You either got to be REALLY fast like DJax or Hill (Holmes is not), REALLY big like Alshon Jeffery or Mike Evans(Holmes is not) or REALLY refined as a route runner like AB or Michael Thomas (Holmes is not)

His only position is RB, and yeah... nah.
Amen brother
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is no way on earth that Valentine Holmes is making the NFL. He's not even THAT good at rugby league!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 20, 2018, 7:15 pm Now on to more important things

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW that game... holy ****!
I had the day off because my in laws are interstate and they watch my daughter on tuesday's, so i put my hand up to do it today (basically because i wanted to watch this game, my wife is unaware haha)

And my god it delivered.
What a game.
That was the greatest game of football i have ever seen.
Any code.
Man that was crazy!
I didnt dare leave my seat in fear of missing something.

1100 yards of offense.
2 QBs over 400.
Hill over 200 recieving.
Over 100 pts scored.
Gurley a measly 55 yards rushing.

Call the season over, SB was just played. WOOOOOOOOW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Only watched the highlights but it was amazing. I love those shootout games where everything (well almost) comes off. Might have to watch a full replay.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Such an incredible game...Chris Wessling is big on this point but this season really does feel like a change in the guard.

Send me your run stuffing, stingy defence and imma let McVey, Payton and Reid crush them like ants. Feels like SB52 was a crucifixion of modern defensive and conservative football. This is a brave new world where if you can put up 50 on any given Sunday, you need to get a new coach and QB.

The way that game was played... jesus... i mean it was hit, after hit, after hit. WILD swings.
This season is a bit of a disaster for Philly, but im OK with that given we won the SB last year... on ONE condition, SB Monday needs to give me the Chiefs and Rams OR Saints in a wild shoot out like tonight

hook that **** to my veins, sports doesnt get better than that. Im still PUMPED after watching that
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

How does Tyreek Hill always get so open downfield all the time haha. Seems like most of Mahomes throws he just unleashes a bomb downfield and little Tyreek Hill is standing in the middle of the field with no defender closer than 10 yards
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: November 20, 2018, 8:26 pm Such an incredible game...Chris Wessling is big on this point but this season really does feel like a change in the guard.

Send me your run stuffing, stingy defence and imma let McVey, Payton and Reid crush them like ants. Feels like SB52 was a crucifixion of modern defensive and conservative football. This is a brave new world where if you can put up 50 on any given Sunday, you need to get a new coach and QB.

The way that game was played... jesus... i mean it was hit, after hit, after hit. WILD swings.
This season is a bit of a disaster for Philly, but im OK with that given we won the SB last year... on ONE condition, SB Monday needs to give me the Chiefs and Rams OR Saints in a wild shoot out like tonight

hook that **** to my veins, sports doesnt get better than that. Im still PUMPED after watching that
:thumbsup
Ill have some of what he is having!!!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: November 21, 2018, 4:35 am How does Tyreek Hill always get so open downfield all the time haha. Seems like most of Mahomes throws he just unleashes a bomb downfield and little Tyreek Hill is standing in the middle of the field with no defender closer than 10 yards
Being small enough to be missed coming through traffic, combined with fast enough to out run all comers certainly helps.