UFC - MMA

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: UFC - MMA

Post by Albi »

Each to their own of course, but IMO, UFC, or any other fighting 'sport' disgusts me. Every wife beater and other violent criminal that's come through my practice in the last 20 years has been a fan of this type of activity.
From a neurobiological perspective, exposure to extreme violence leaves an indelible footprint on the brain. Please just turn it off and under no circumstances EVER expose children.
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Thats exactly right Albi, each to there own. I do agree its not a sport for children, and it's unfortunate that it's a US prime time sport that puts it smack bang on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Although, I'm not a wife beater, **** or get into pub brawls. I love the sport, and to underestimate the skill level of the fighters just shows ignorance. 99% of these guys are athletes of the highest order, they dedicate there lives to there art form, and there fitness. Whether it be wrestling, Bjj, judo, karata, or any of the thousands of martial arts available to learn the commitment and dedication is second to none.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I don't think anyone for a second was calling you a ****, J-man
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

I've done martial arts although I didn't reach any great heights I can appreciate the skill and talent of the UFC fighters

I love the sport , I've never touched my missus in anger , never fought out on the street or in pubs

The only time I have thrown punches was when I was playing soccer.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

The Nickman wrote:I don't think anyone for a second was calling you a ****, J-man
I know that Nickman, but I also don't like "violent **** erotica" to quote schfity.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

I saw a documentary once about the history of drug trafficking. The most successful proponents were to put it simply, geniuses. They displayed the most exemplary skills in every facet of their business from chemistry, organisational skills and management.
The moral of the story is that 'skill' isn't a reliable measure of the value of something.

Violence is, and always has been, mankind's Achilles. The normalisation of violence contributes to more misery than you can imagine.

As good men you can do something useful. Reject this atrocity for what it is. Please

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I have to say I tend to agree with Albi on this one.

Each to their own though, but no way my kids are growing up watching fighting.
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

Raidersrawesome wrote:I've done martial arts although I didn't reach any great heights I can appreciate the skill and talent of the UFC fighters

I love the sport , I've never touched my missus in anger , never fought out on the street or in pubs

The only time I have thrown punches was when I was playing soccer.
thats a joke right? Punches thrown in soccer.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

No joke lol

And on more than occasion
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Albi wrote:Each to their own of course, but IMO, UFC, or any other fighting 'sport' disgusts me. Every wife beater and other violent criminal that's come through my practice in the last 20 years has been a fan of this type of activity.
From a neurobiological perspective, exposure to extreme violence leaves an indelible footprint on the brain. Please just turn it off and under no circumstances EVER expose children.
I'll bet they were also fans of a football code, alcohol and/or drugs. There is no way anybody could argue that MMA leads to violent tendencies. I do martial arts and am a huge fan, does that mean I'll beat my girlfriend? No. I agree that I wouldn't want my children exposed to it until they were 15 or over. But when done correctly, martial arts is exactly that - an art. To call it a "pub brawl in Kings Cross" (ge) is purely ignorant.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How is it ignorant? I saw the video with my own eyes. It doesn't take much to work out!
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

A small cut on the head can bleed like nothing else

It'll look worse than what it is

The media were all over Elias after that origin game when he hugged his mum covered in blood
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

greeneyed wrote:How is it ignorant? I saw the video with my own eyes. It doesn't take much to work out!
You need to understand that violence is nuanced, GE. On one hand the guys in kings cross are trying to seriously injure each other, whereas the highly skilled athletes of UFC are trying to seriously injure each other. Get it now?

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Phil Rothfield sits down with UFC Australia boss after scathing column that enraged MMA fans worldwide

The Australian boss of UFC has passionately defended the sport amid calls to ban cage fighting in Australia.

The sport's harshest critic, Sports Editor-at-Large Phil Rothfield, caught up with Tom Wright yesterday.

Buzz: I've never had more reaction to a column in 35 years of sports writing. You've got a fanatical band of supporters.

Tom: We have a remarkable global fan base. Very knowledgeable, very passionate. They respect the hard work, discipline and focus of our athletes.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6779851620
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

How many wife beaters are big fans of alcohol, rugby league, rap music, rats tails on children, holdens, southern cross stickers, voting conservative and wearing black bikini brief underwear?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Green eyed Mick wrote:How many wife beaters are big fans of alcohol, rugby league, rap music, rats tails on children, holdens, southern cross stickers, voting conservative and wearing black bikini brief underwear?

I watch fighting , did Karate , play GTA V , played cowboy and Indians when younger also watch violent movies .

I do not bash people , dont bash the missus , dont go and kill people , I dont even kill animals.

No one has done a survey on me.

People that do those kinds of things , dont do it because of UFC , or movies or playstation games or daddy smacked them , they do it because they are ****** in the head , they are wired wrong in the noggin .
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

Green eyed Mick wrote:How many wife beaters are big fans of alcohol, rugby league, rap music, rats tails on children, holdens, southern cross stickers, voting conservative and wearing black bikini brief underwear?
Kind of missing the point GEM.

Never mind, sorry for hijacking the thread

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Raidersrawesome wrote:

I watch fighting , did Karate , play GTA V , played cowboy and Indians when younger also watch violent movies .

I do not bash people , dont bash the missus , dont go and kill people , I dont even kill animals.

People that do those kinds of things , dont do it because of UFC , or movies or playstation games or daddy smacked them , they do it because they are ****** in the head , they are wired wrong in the noggin .
When we ban alcohol, religion and eradicate social, economic and educational disadvantage we will see a reduction in violence and anti-social behaviour. Until then people need to get over themselves and accept that senseless violence is a nasty side effect of the society we have created.
Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake »

Ge, I just think your ignoring the context. Yes, it can be hard to look at. But I think it's tough to justify rugby league as a gentleman's game that involves athletically superior human beings running at each other and attempting to inflict pain in tackles, but dismiss MMA as merely a pub brawl.

However, as Albi said, each to their own.
Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:

When we ban alcohol, religion and eradicate social, economic and educational disadvantage we will see a reduction in violence and anti-social behaviour. Until then people need to get over themselves and accept that senseless violence is a nasty side effect of the society we have created.
Yep. And confining the violence to a controlled environment with consenting adults can be an effective way of curbing random violence.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Albi wrote:

I am not sure what your point is Albi.

MMA is not everyones cup of tea but the links between MMA and violence in our society are no stronger than the links people attempted to make between violence and heavy metal music in the 80's or rap music in the 90's

With respect to blood and injuries it is ignorant and hypocritical for Buzz, a rugby league fan to be having a go at MMA. The duty of care provided to MMA fighters with respect to head trauma is vasty superior than Rugby League.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Albi wrote:

I am not sure what your point is Albi.

MMA is not everyones cup of tea but the links between MMA and violence in our society are no stronger than the links people attempted to make between violence and heavy metal music in the 80's or rap music in the 90's

With respect to blood and injuries it is ignorant and hypocritical for Buzz, a rugby league fan to be having a go at MMA. The duty of care provided to MMA fighters with respect to head trauma is vasty superior than Rugby League.
My point is that normalising violence leads to more violence.

Call me a prude, but I find the spectacle of two men in a cage with the sole intention of seriously injuring each other troubling.

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Its nothing like street brawling , or thuggary. At the commencement of the last round they embraced each other and then after the fight again . this is a common scene

They fight within rules , 2 fighters have the same intent , there is no king hits or blind shots

And they dont fight with rage , if they do they will lose 9 times out of 10
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

I have seen more fightsbetween people watching origin at the local club, than the countless times ive watched UFC at the southo or vikings in which everybody is happy to watch the fight on the screen.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

I don't like Golf and I believe it has a negative impact on the reputation of drying paint but I choose not to watch it. People who don't like MMA are free to not watch it as well.
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Ultimate Fighting Championship a bloody disgrace, writes Phil Rothfield

SINCE when is kicking, elbowing, kneeing, punching and stomping an opponent classified as sport?

On Saturday night on Fuel TV I witnessed the brutality and bloodshed of the UFC - apparently, and worryingly, the world's fastest growing sport.

This was nothing but barbaric savagery that should be banned in this country.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6778234609
For the record I don't like the idea of children watching it... However, at least mma is a real depiction of violence in comparison to movies or cartoons (or profession wrestling for that matter)...

I hope Buzz is as vocal about the savagery of slave labour... Imagine the nrl and afl letting their clubs where clothing made by companies who benefit from it... Oh wait maybe I shouldn't say anything there... I also wonder if he checks the Ox-Fam list for his own wardrobe...

I also hope Buzz is as vocal about how barbaric it is to eat food coming from hens getting their beaks ripped off in battery houses or from cattle who are forced onto and clamped into 'breeding racks' for mass consumption... If he's a vegan, more power to him... If not, he shouldn't be so selective in what he considers barbaric...

I'm not vocal about either of these things but at least mma fighters can say they gave their consent to participate in the UFC...
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

86 invader wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:Ultimate Fighting Championship a bloody disgrace, writes Phil Rothfield

SINCE when is kicking, elbowing, kneeing, punching and stomping an opponent classified as sport?

On Saturday night on Fuel TV I witnessed the brutality and bloodshed of the UFC - apparently, and worryingly, the world's fastest growing sport.

This was nothing but barbaric savagery that should be banned in this country.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6778234609
For the record I don't like the idea of children watching it... However, at least mma is a real depiction of violence in comparison to movies or cartoons (or profession wrestling for that matter)...

I hope Buzz is as vocal about the savagery of slave labour... Imagine the nrl and afl letting their clubs where clothing made by companies who benefit from it... Oh wait maybe I shouldn't say anything there... I also wonder if he checks the Ox-Fam list for his own wardrobe...

I also hope Buzz is as vocal about how barbaric it is to eat food coming from hens getting their beaks ripped off in battery houses or from cattle who are forced onto and clamped into 'breeding racks' for mass consumption... If he's a vegan, more power to him... If not, he shouldn't be so selective in what he considers barbaric...

I'm not vocal about either of these things but at least mma fighters can say they gave their consent to participate in the UFC...
Worst argument ever. You're suggesting you can't have an opinion about atrocious behaviour unless you also decry every other atrocity? ****

Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I don't like Golf and I believe it has a negative impact on the reputation of drying paint but I choose not to watch it. People who don't like MMA are free to not watch it as well.
Well if you believe that not watching golf will alleviate the negative environmental impact the sport has, then go ahead ;) you know better than that.

86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

No problem with his opinion, Albi... Just a problem with the judgment he has passed on the people who competed in it and watched it... He used phrases like 'every cruel moment on tv' and 'barbaric savagery'...

I provided two other very prominent and socially relevant examples of this to show this... I also specifically made a point to show that I don't shout to the rooftops about these things, so I'm not trying to pass myself off as better than anyone else...

I actually thought you and a couple of others made points that were worth discussion on this topic...

MMA is a sport that should always be heavily regulated and closely monitored... I also think that at least at live events where it can be policed that entry into the arena should be 18+ only... However in Rothfields' case, creating hysteria to get people talking about you isn't the same as saying that you actually stand for something...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:

Well I for one cannot wait for GeM's new utopian laws to take effect. All hail our lord and master who knows what's best for us all!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

The Nickman wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:

Well I for one cannot wait for GeM's new utopian laws to take effect. All hail our lord and master who knows what's best for us all!
huh? My point is there are very real issues in our society with respect to violence and anti-social behaviour and MMA isn't one of them.
Albi
David Furner

Post by Albi »

86 invader wrote:No problem with his opinion, Albi... Just a problem with the judgment he has passed on the people who competed in it and watched it... He used phrases like 'every cruel moment on tv' and 'barbaric savagery'...

I provided two other very prominent and socially relevant examples of this to show this... I also specifically made a point to show that I don't shout to the rooftops about these things, so I'm not trying to pass myself off as better than anyone else...

I actually thought you and a couple of others made points that were worth discussion on this topic...

MMA is a sport that should always be heavily regulated and closely monitored... I also think that at least at live events where it can be policed that entry into the arena should be 18+ only... However in Rothfields' case, creating hysteria to get people talking about you isn't the same as saying that you actually stand for something...
Ok, good point :)

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

UFC on Fuel tomorrow

Johnson v s Benavidez ( Title Fight )
Faber v s McDonald
Mendes v s Lentz
Lauzon v s Danzig

FUEL TV PRELIMS

McGee v s LaFlare
Castillo v s Barboza
Green v s Healy
Jorgensen v s Makovsky
Stout v s McKenzie
Trujillo v s Bowling
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

keen too see how the faber / macdonald fight pans out
Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake »

Gus- wrote:keen too see how the faber / macdonald fight pans out
Should be a good fight. McDonald is my pick.