The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: December 14, 2020, 12:24 pm Oh god, I forgot about Head. I really don't feel that confident about our hopes this summer if Smith/Warner/Labu aren't in prime scoring form, the rest of our batting does not inspire confidence.
I really really really like the prospects of Green.
I really really really hope Im not wrong about this kid.
I really feel as though he is Watto 2.0 at worst, but at best he is Kallis/Flintoff.

I feel like Head and Paine will combine to be 1 competent batsmen, the Q is, will they be the difference in games, or score them when we are getting pumped?!?

I am suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper worried about the openers. This 1st Test is going to be about limiting the damage IMO.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BTW.... Abbott has a calf strain, and has been been ruled OUT. Henriques is IN.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/moises- ... 3w4PYPFJ_I

Not sure Henriques can open the batting, so I suspect he is a 13th/ 14th man.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:53 am
Azza wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:50 am
Matt wrote: December 14, 2020, 11:04 am
Azza wrote: December 14, 2020, 10:54 am Am I missing something? What's wrong with Khawaja coming in to open given the current injury rut?

If Burns plays, it's a waste of a spot.
The 4 options being thrown up are:
1. SMarsh - Langer loves him... no bias there, WA hommies.
2. Uzi - Candice Warner backed him 1st, and a couple of Ex-players have mentioned him.
3. Harris - was drafted in after Pucovski was ruled out
4. Green via Wade/ Labu - is looking more and more likely

Remembering, that we might need 2 openers now, not 1, so might get 2 of these options. TBH, its looking more and more likely we get options 3 and 4.

With neither of the top 2 having been drafted into the squad, I cant see them getting a call up wk of the Test.
That's ridiculous if the case. To have two relative rookies opening against a strong bowling attack is immediately putting us at a handicap. I'm not a fan of moving Labulicious up the order either, he and Smith have been the rocks of our middle order recently
I agree. Leave Labu, Smith and Head as the middle order. BUT... gotta pick someone.
Agree about not tinkering with the line up. This is a temporary measure so don't want to mess with the balance of the side. Unless you bring in an experienced player like Marsh or Usi I think they will be sticking with what they have in Burns and Harris. Everybody else bats in their normal position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah I was reasonably confident for this summer with our full strength lineup and if Smith / Labu fired. But it's going to be an uphill battle in the first test under lights with the injury issues. If Burns/Harris get 50 runs between them for an opening stand it would be more than I expect by a fair way.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Picking both Burns and Harris is actually the easiest call for selectors. Warner back in the 2nd test mean the better performer of the 2 gets to keep their spot. If both stink it up they can look at alternatives. Whether that's introducing a new talent like Pucovski or going with an experienced hand like Khawaja or SMarsh. Option 3 is to elevate Wade to opener and give Green a go at 5 or 6.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Maybe the easiest option, I'm not sure it's going to stand us in the best stead for the 1st test though :/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I can't see how Burns could possibly be picked. He is so far out of form including this past weekend against the Indians. I would go with the in form S Marsh to open and Wade would be his partner for mine. Leave Labu and Smith at 3 and 4 as they have become the rock of the top order. I would bring in Green at 5 because he is also in such good form, either Shield or against the Indian tourists. Head to be at 6 with Paine at 7. The Day/Night Test starts in Adelaide on Thursday so the selectors will have to name the side soon.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: December 14, 2020, 2:12 pm I can't see how Burns could possibly be picked. He is so far out of form including this past weekend against the Indians. I would go with the in form S Marsh to open and Wade would be his partner for mine. Leave Labu and Smith at 3 and 4 as they have become the rock of the top order. I would bring in Green at 5 because he is also in such good form, either Shield or against the Indian tourists. Head to be at 6 with Paine at 7. The Day/Night Test starts in Adelaide on Thursday so the selectors will have to name the side soon.
Burns is the incumbent and his opening partner is unavailable. Dropping him means 2 new openers. His test record is also superior to that of alternatives like SMarsh and Harris. That's how he "could possibly be picked".

There's more to it than dropping somebody for having a rough trot at First Class level to start the season. If Warner was playing and Pucovski was fit then selectors had a very compelling reason to make the change. Both are absent though. Elevating Wade to opener and including Green is well worth considering but if that happens I reckon it will be Wade and Burns at the top of the order.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: December 14, 2020, 1:53 pm Maybe the easiest option, I'm not sure it's going to stand us in the best stead for the 1st test though :/
I agree with that. Strongest team from all players available would definitely include Khawaja. SMarsh in good domestic form but nothing new there. Selectors would be reluctant to recall a 37yo who could never really establish himself as a Test batsman from many previous opportunities.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 14, 2020, 3:15 pm
RedRaider wrote: December 14, 2020, 2:12 pm I can't see how Burns could possibly be picked. He is so far out of form including this past weekend against the Indians. I would go with the in form S Marsh to open and Wade would be his partner for mine. Leave Labu and Smith at 3 and 4 as they have become the rock of the top order. I would bring in Green at 5 because he is also in such good form, either Shield or against the Indian tourists. Head to be at 6 with Paine at 7. The Day/Night Test starts in Adelaide on Thursday so the selectors will have to name the side soon.
Burns is the incumbent and his opening partner is unavailable. Dropping him means 2 new openers. His test record is also superior to that of alternatives like SMarsh and Harris. That's how he "could possibly be picked".

There's more to it than dropping somebody for having a rough trot at First Class level to start the season. If Warner was playing and Pucovski was fit then selectors had a very compelling reason to make the change. Both are absent though. Elevating Wade to opener and including Green is well worth considering but if that happens I reckon it will be Wade and Burns at the top of the order.
Sorry, but I 100% disagree that picking Burns, for any reason, is a good move. Incumbent or not, he cant score a run ATM.
If Burns plays, we are happy playing with 10
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: December 14, 2020, 5:33 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 14, 2020, 3:15 pm

Sorry, but I 100% disagree that picking Burns, for any reason, is a good move. Incumbent or not, he cant score a run ATM.
If Burns plays, we are happy playing with 10
Rubbish. If you drop a player you need to be bringing in somebody better. Burns has been a decent test player. Harris was well below average. Selectors are not as fickle as fans. They won't dump Burns for Harris.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

NR, I have been a Burns supporter on here for some years. But to pick him when he is in such poor form is to pick him to fail. Imo he needs to go back to Shield cricket and try to reconnect with some runs. Both Burns and Marsh are under 40 at Test level. The difference is that this year Marsh in Shield Cricket has hit 485 runs in 6 innings. He is in form and for mine players in form should be picked. Wade has 3 half tons in Shield cricket this season so he is going better than Burns as well.

I am not a fan of moving Labu up the order. He is a very good 3 and Smith bats well with him at 4. I would not be juggling the order. Fancied openers are either out of form or injured. I would pick players with some form on the board.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: December 14, 2020, 7:16 pm NR, I have been a Burns supporter on here for some years. But to pick him when he is in such poor form is to pick him to fail. Imo he needs to go back to Shield cricket and try to reconnect with some runs. Both Burns and Marsh are under 40 at Test level. The difference is that this year Marsh in Shield Cricket has hit 485 runs in 6 innings. He is in form and for mine players in form should be picked. Wade has 3 half tons in Shield cricket this season so he is going better than Burns as well.

I am not a fan of moving Labu up the order. He is a very good 3 and Smith bats well with him at 4. I would not be juggling the order. Fancied openers are either out of form or injured. I would pick players with some form on the board.
I'm OK with Marsh coming in for Burns but it won't happen. Khawaja playing is a no brainer IMO. Also won't happen. Neither would be playing BBL right now if they were going to be in the test team. Wade could open and Green come in. That will be to replace Warner though. What won't happen is Harris replacing Burns. Harris not done enough to earn a recall at the expense of an incumbent.

It will be Wade/Burns or Harris/Burns
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez what a BBL game. Daniel Samms went crazy to pull out an almost impossible win. 6 sixes at Manuka in a 25 ball 65 to win the game from 5 down for 70.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That was an awesome performance, but geez he got dished some absolute pies by Ben Laughlin

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’ll say it again. Whiteman > pretty much all other opening options.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: December 15, 2020, 6:45 am I’ll say it again. Whiteman > pretty much all other opening options.
Ive been keeping an eye on him for a while, and this seasons form has been decent. I dont hate it, BUT, again, wont happen
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: December 14, 2020, 9:44 pm That was an awesome performance, but geez he got dished some absolute pies by Ben Laughlin
Words can't describe how bad that bowling was from Laughlin. You can forgive a bowler if they're hitting their areas and the batsman still spanks it. Not the case here. That over had 2 full tosses, a long hop and one right in the slot. Sams was good enough to take advantage. One dot ball was almost a wide down leg side.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Can't wait for Marcus Harris to be given another chance just to fail again
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If fit, Green is IN.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/cameron ... nJgFSmcpRc

So... Labu or Wade opening looking more and more likely, Q is, with whom?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: December 15, 2020, 8:23 am
julian87 wrote: December 15, 2020, 6:45 am I’ll say it again. Whiteman > pretty much all other opening options.
Ive been keeping an eye on him for a while, and this seasons form has been decent. I dont hate it, BUT, again, wont happen
Think Whiteman needs to do a bit more to get on the selectors radar. He's been around a while now and up until this season in Sheffield Shield his record is far from exceptional.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Interesting that Rennie Renshaw disappeared off the radar after showing promise a few years back
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: December 15, 2020, 10:07 am If fit, Green is IN.

Has to be Wade opening. When you have one of the world's best No.3s you keep them there.

Warner's absence gives Burns a lifeline. He won't get dropped for Harris.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: December 15, 2020, 10:14 am Interesting that Rennie Renshaw disappeared off the radar after showing promise a few years back
His form fell off a cliff after being dropped from the test team. Got a big score for QLD last match this season. First century in 2 years apparently. Interestingly it was batting at no5.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Same with PSP Handscomb too - fell off the radar. Sad.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 15, 2020, 10:19 am
Matt wrote: December 15, 2020, 10:07 am If fit, Green is IN.

Has to be Wade opening. When you have one of the world's best No.3s you keep them there.

Warner's absence gives Burns a lifeline. He won't get dropped for Harris.
Wide World of Sports has just posted that JL has confirmed Labu WONT open, but remain at 3. So, Wade and .... ???
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ponting saying open with Wade and Burns. Green to #6.

AB, and apparently Hohns, says Burns cant be picked.

Pup saying Wade and Harris, Green at 6 - has caveted the order, hopefully referring to Green potentially at 5 rather than 6.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: December 15, 2020, 10:41 am Same with PSP Handscomb too - fell off the radar. Sad.
Kurtis Patterson. Scored a century in his last test. Not been seen since.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:12 pm
Azza wrote: December 15, 2020, 10:41 am Same with PSP Handscomb too - fell off the radar. Sad.
You could nearly argue playing for Australia ruined his career. Its been a very strange situation. Disappeared off the face of the planet.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Azza wrote: December 15, 2020, 10:14 am Interesting that Rennie Renshaw disappeared off the radar after showing promise a few years back
His form fell off a cliff after being dropped from the test team. Got a big score for QLD last match this season. First century in 2 years apparently. Interestingly it was batting at no5.
He was another one who fell off a cliff after a bad concussion

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:21 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
...or did he get a bad concussion from falling off a cliff? :hmmm
Last edited by Northern Raider on December 15, 2020, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:27 pm
-TW- wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:21 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
...or did he get a bad concussion from falling off a cliff?
:roflmao
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:19 pm
You could nearly argue playing for Australia ruined his career. Its been a very strange situation. Disappeared off the face of the planet.
That's what appeared to happen with Handscomb. Test career started brilliantly. Then the extra scrutiny allowed his technical flaws to be exploited. Has not been the same since. Bancroft similar.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Oh yeah - he looked good too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:46 pm
Oh yeah - he looked good too.
Patterson and Burns both scored centuries in that test then were inexplicably left out of the Ashes squad to accommodate the return of Bancroft.